• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

I clicked date on a few names, and then a couple days later I checked my email and had been rejected by them all. Maybe it opens up at some point?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Damn. :( I wanted to date the girl who rambles about her kittens then, out of nowhere, mentions that she loves violent sex. :lol

I wanted to date that one too since she's a nurse and I heard that has its advantages

Jaeyden

Right out of the box I thought to myself "meh, I was expecting more....the framerates are O.K.....these graphics aren't all that....9 to 9.5 maybe" but after playing for 6 hours last night this game is a fucking 11!

Six hours of "Oh Shit!" moments. Things happened to me that have NEVER happened in a video game before. I was laughing out loud at the random dialogue from pedestrians and the talk radio stations. I was holding my breath during a six star police chase that lasted forever and ended with my untimely demise in one of the most realistic moments I've ever seen in a game. I literally jumped in surprise when I got hit from behind by a car when I was running away from a crime scene. Rockstar has raised the bar...let the next gen begin!

Chinner

Banned
I just got the 'lowest point' achievement, and anyone else who has gotten it will aprecciate the gun fight that happens sometime before it.

also, i love little jacob. i mean i dont know what hte shit he is saying most of the time but god damn he is awesome.

Chinner said:
I just got the 'lowest point' achievement, and anyone else who has gotten it will aprecciate the gun fight that happens sometime before it.

also, i love little jacob. i mean i dont know what hte shit he is saying most of the time but god damn he is awesome.
That's where I left off during my playing.
Kinda feeling like Niko's a dick right now. Poor Roman. :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Quick Q, but how far am I from unlocking manhattan?

I've got to the second safehouse, done a mission with manny..started to do a first mission for Bruce..

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The LB for everything system has cockblocked me twice!

Roman invites me to the strip club for the first time. Cool! I get there with him after a long-ass drive, and the LB indicator pops up, which has been to activate something the entire game, so I hit it without reading. We're ready to leave the club? What? And Roman is making fun of me for wimping out?!

Later, Little Jacob invites me to the club. Okay, let's do it right this time. I get to the club with him, he takes a seat. I don't hit LB this time, which I read now means "Leave". Then, a stripper stops in front of me and asks if I'd like a private dance. Hit LB to accept, the game says. So I press LB...

Apparently, I'm still standing close to Little Jacob, who gets priority, so instead of activiting the lap dance, he says he's ready to go home.

It's a little unclear what happened next. After the blindness from my rage faded, everyone in the club was dead.

I'll get my lapdance yet, game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
gofreak said:

I've got to the second safehouse, done a mission with manny..started to do a first mission for Bruce..
Pretty close, maybe 4-5 missions away.

MaizeRage25 said:
Auto-Aim sucks in big shootouts where guys are behind cover and holding the trigger down half-way is tough.

The first thing I did before I started was turn off the auto-aim. It sounds like more of hassle than a help from what I've heard. The aiming controls have improved so much that it is completely unnecessary. I'm convinced they only left the feature in game because people have become accustom to it in GTA games.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Felix Lighter said:
The first thing I did before I started was turn off the auto-aim. It sounds like more of hassle than a help from what I've heard. The aiming controls have improved so much that it is completely unnecessary. I'm convinced they only left the feature in game because people have become accustom to it in GTA games.

I guarantee you that you WILL need it in later missions. There is NO way of beating some missions without it, since those missions require you to clear out a room in a fast amount of time so you can be somewhere else.

I hate how when you turn off auto-aim it also turns it off in multiplayer. If everyone else is using it in multiplayer, so do I, but I don't want it in singleplayer.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gofreak said:

I'm in the EXACT same spot. :lol

scissorfight said:
i thought there would be more people on the 2nd island. even in the times square area there's no more people than any other.

At times it can be packed and at others it is very sparsely populated. The same with all areas I've found.

chubigans said:
I guarantee you that you WILL need it in later missions. There is NO way of beating some missions without it, since those missions require you to clear out a room in a fast amount of time so you can be somewhere else.

You maybe right. I haven't used it at all up until this point but I'm still very early on.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
gofreak said:

You're almost there.

Ignore Brucie for now, and you have three more missions until you can crossover. Specifically
after you meet Playboy X through Elizabetha

Artadius

womfalcs3 said:
LOL for the fun of it I called 911, and the cops came to my location. Could be useful in future endeavors.

From another forum... not sure if this is verified...but sounds awesome:

I flipped out a phone and dialed 911. Then I found a homeless man and punched him in the face. He started punching me back, the police arrived and tried to arrest him. Then a MASSIVE ***** MOB of hobos came to his aid and took out the cops. More cops came, and more hobos came. It turned into a huge cops vs hobos fight which only ended when the cops pulled a helicopter out and peppered them all with bullets.
Once they were all dead, the cops left. A few seconds later another cop car pulls up and a cop gets out, walks up to me, and says "What's the problem here?"

Soroc

Anyone that has really really bad jaggies, please go into your TV's settings and change your sharpness all the way down to 0, it will really help to smooth alot of the jaggies.

I'm playing on a 30" lcd and the game looked quite bad during my first hour until I took the time to make the proper changes, now the game looks great.

I think I decapped a ped. I was driving top speed down a hill in a Corquette (lol) and I hit this chick so fast I took her head off. I might be wrong, she may have been holding something shaped like a head.

Great game.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
womfalcs3 said:
LOL for the fun of it I called 911, and the cops came to my location. Could be useful in future endeavors.

Try the 'Call for backup' option when in a stolen squad car if you've got to clear out some sidewalk squatting drug dealers. :D

This is my favorite GTA so far, about 35 missions in. I got it for 360 because I was able to get that version half a day early, but I wish I got it for PS3 since my Xbox Live expired and I don't want to renew it just for this game.

I also think my 360 is louder than it's supposed to be, it seems louder than any of my friend's 360s at least. I do most of my game playing past midnight and I have to keep the volume low when playing games. Since my 360 is loud, I have to wear headphones... and headphones prevent me from playing online with a headset too.

Teknoman

Jeff-DSA said:
So I spent about 4 hours with it last night and....SURPRISE! THE CONTROLS SUCK!

Rockstar is either retarded or they simply don't care. You can't tell me that after that many titles that they can't come up with a fluid control scheme. Every single other 3rd person action/shooter/adventure game out there, even those developed by sucky developers, has better controls. Running on foot is awful and driving is like trying to control whale. What kind of whale? Oh, like a beluga whale, I guess. I had to restart a mission because I beat my car up in a car chase and at the end of the mission when I had to drive back to the garage I bumped one car too many in the FINAL TURN and it totaled the car. Next thing I knew I was back 20 minutes restarting the mission. Thanks Rockstar!

Another thing that frustrates me is that you just can't save anywhere. I think in this era of gaming you should be able to save where you want, leave your console for a bit, and come back and resume your game. When I was ready to quit last night I was in the middle of a mission, so I just had to abandon it and I'll have to start over next time I fire it up.

The story so far is cool, and I love the city, but the reviewers that said that Rockstar addressed the old faults of the GTA franchise are full of crap. Moneyhats and overhype all around.

Still, I do find myself having fun, and that's a first for me in the GTA series, so I'm not ready to shelve the game yet.

Sorry, I needed to vent. A 10 for controls/gameplay? :lol

Actually the cars control similar to a racing sim aka Gran Turismo or Forza. Also the shooting controls are damn fine. And there are a few reasons why you cant save everywhere, for story reasons and whatnot. Every single car and or vehicle handles differently, just like any car sim. The on foot controls are just fine too, that and you can pretty much vault over or climb anything within reason.

riskVSreward said:
Has anyone found any of the hidden packages yet? I've yet to find one, makes me wonder how many are in here.

I've got two, and found them both doing package delivery missions. They were both at the drop-off location.

REALLY loving this so far, but really hating the clunky clothing interface.

Its been done so much better and faster in the past in other games.

MaizeRage25 said:
I've got two, and found them both doing package delivery missions. They were both at the drop-off location.

So they aren't really hidden ala the last games? Has anyone found any out in the wild?

This thread has become nothing but disappointments and moans. Why? Because 1 out of 10 people don't like GTA games to begin with and bought it due to the hype. After playing for a short period of time, they abandon the game before it heats up and they come in here.

As for everyone else, they won't post in this thread because they are too busy playing the game to excess. 5AM binges and exhausted workdays. Minutes fade into hours as they experiment with everything from toying with the AI and Physics to exploring every stoop of their brooklyn-esque virtual neighborhood.

This game is godly. But then again, I'm a huge fan of the series. I am not disappointed at all.

Teknoman

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
This thread has become nothing but disappointments and moans. Why? Because 1 out of 10 people don't like GTA games to begin with and bought it due to the hype. After playing for a short period of time, they abandon the game before it heats up and they come in here.

As for everyone else, they won't post in this thread because they are too busy playing the game to excess. 5AM binges and exhausted workdays. Minutes fade into hours as they experiment with everything from toying with the AI and Physics to exploring every stoop of their brooklyn-esque virtual neighborhood.

This game is godly. But then again, I'm a huge fan of the series. I am not disappointed at all.

Hey im still around. And im sure Himuro is going to post something again sooner or later.

Goreomedy said:
The LB for everything system has cockblocked me twice!

Roman invites me to the strip club for the first time. Cool! I get there with him after a long-ass drive, and the LB indicator pops up, which has been to activate something the entire game, so I hit it without reading. We're ready to leave the club? What? And Roman is making fun of me for wimping out?!

Later, Little Jacob invites me to the club. Okay, let's do it right this time. I get to the club with him, he takes a seat. I don't hit LB this time, which I read now means "Leave". Then, a stripper stops in front of me and asks if I'd like a private dance. Hit LB to accept, the game says. So I press LB...

Apparently, I'm still standing close to Little Jacob, who gets priority, so instead of activiting the lap dance, he says he's ready to go home.

It's a little unclear what happened next. After the blindness from my rage faded, everyone in the club was dead.

I'll get my lapdance yet, game.
I once shot a chick in the face because I wasn't COMPLETELY stopped when trying to access the cop car's computer.

DIrtyWeasel said:
This game has hidden packages? I have not run into any.

There's an achievement for collecting them all. But I'm starting to think theres just a "hidden package" mission set, much like the "car theft" and "most wanted" mission sets.

Scopebob Sniperpants said:

Or like me they love the game and are just voicing issues they see.

Teknoman

Artadius said:
From another forum... not sure if this is verified...but sounds awesome: "Hobo grand battle"

Well its possible...for the most part. I havent seen police call in reinforcements on pedestrians. Though they will team up if nearby.

krypt0nian said:
Or like me they love the game and are just voicing issues they see.

Well yeah that works too, but not when its complaining about the car physics because they took a step towards realism. Or the gunplay, which is the farthest thing from the lame gunplay of previous GTAs.

riskVSreward said:
There's an achievement for collecting them all. But I'm starting to think theres just a "hidden package" mission set, much like the "car theft" and "most wanted" mission sets.

Well they're not packages, they're pigeons. And yes they are hidden.

One cool thing is that you don't have to run over them to collect them, just can just shoot them.

Sure there's flaws, but this game does so many things right. This is the first time I've stopped playing other than to sleep since I got it at midnight.

I'm usually not this big of a nerd.

Edit: Thanks Maize, I've been checking roofs and alleyways like a madman and dammit I've yet to be rewarded.

Ferrio

Banned
Weird stuff happen to me.

-Punched a random bum. Bum punched me back and a cop saw it. Cop came held a gun to him and arrested him.

-Went into a strip club. Some reason a guy in the club started yelling at me, then walking toward me and punched me. Instead of fighting him everyone in the club came after me. This also causes all the strippers to run out... which leads me to this

-Went back into the strip club and scared the strippers out. So i went outside and for like 10 minutes followed this "naked" woman around town as she acted like an ordinary npc. At one point I must of spooked her and she just took off running and I continued to follow. She eventually ran out into traffic and go hit by a car. She then started shuffling around hurt, which at this point I started to just continuously run into her knocking her over and walking ontop of her. Eventually she just decided to not get up anymore.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Picture-015.gif

Yep...a Stripper in the Rain, with an Umbrella. And a Thong.

Top Bottom