• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Powerslave said:
Can you make bulletholes in the ground/wall/buildings?

And how long do they stay if so?

cars actually make marks/dents in some stone walls, not sure how long they stay though.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Scopebob Sniperpants said:
This thread has become nothing but disappointments and moans. Why? Because 1 out of 10 people don't like GTA games to begin with and bought it due to the hype. After playing for a short period of time, they abandon the game before it heats up and they come in here.

As for everyone else, they won't post in this thread because they are too busy playing the game to excess. 5AM binges and exhausted workdays. Minutes fade into hours as they experiment with everything from toying with the AI and Physics to exploring every stoop of their brooklyn-esque virtual neighborhood.

This game is godly. But then again, I'm a huge fan of the series. I am not disappointed at all.

I don't think anyone has posted that they hated the game. I do see people posting about flaws they see in the game that were not brought up in the reviews/podcasts. Now I do feel that the backlash will be strong with those who have never had any interest in GTA games to begin with. It is still GTA, no matter how pretty it looks.

Teknoman

Lonestar said:
Picture-015.gif

Yep...a Stripper in the Rain, with an Umbrella. And a Thong.

Stalker.

Ferrio said:
-Went back into the strip club and scared the strippers out. So i went outside and for like 10 minutes followed this "naked" woman around town as she acted like an ordinary npc. At one point I must of spooked her and she just took off running and I continued to follow. She eventually ran out into traffic and go hit by a car. She then started shuffling around hurt, which at this point I started to just continuously run into her knocking her over and walking ontop of her. Eventually she just decided to not get up anymore.

:lol :lol

I did that last night, this random npc was on a cell and I just locked on, held A (to do the blocking walk) and walked into her for a few minutes. This is much more entertaining than it sounds.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's the deal with the taxi cabs, by the way? I can whistle a cab over, but as soon as I attempt to enter it, Nico always carjacks it rather than climbing in the back. :\

lil smoke

Banned
Ferrio said:
Went back into the strip club and scared the strippers out. So i went outside and for like 10 minutes followed this "naked" woman around town as she acted like an ordinary npc. At one point I must of spooked her and she just took off running and I continued to follow. She eventually ran out into traffic and go hit by a car. She then started shuffling around hurt, which at this point I started to just continuously run into her knocking her over and walking ontop of her. Eventually she just decided to not get up anymore.
awww... Almost makes me wanna cry :(

dark10x said:
What's the deal with the taxi cabs, by the way? I can whistle a cab over, but as soon as I attempt to enter it, Nico always carjacks it rather than climbing in the back. :\
Haven't done it yet, but I think you HOLD the button down.

X26

Banned
Does modo and perseus really not offer and glasses/hats? looked around both stores and saw nothing. Even the hats/glasses offered in MP are not availiable in the SP?

skip

dark10x said:

hold down the button longer, otherwise you'll jack it.

riskVSreward said:
:lol :lol

I did that last night, this random npc was on a cell and I just locked on, held A (to do the blocking walk) and walked into her for a few minutes. This is much more entertaining than it sounds.
I did this too, with a stripper in the back room of the strip club. Nice that they added physics.

Xdrive05

So far I've really only tried Free Roam on multiplayer, which is a blast itself; just screwing around with a bunch of others.

FUCKING SNOWSTORM OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

If it's not the fucking popos ramming me to hell and back as I try to get across the sole, single two lane fucking road connecting to the islands, it's the fucking NOOSE jackasses shotgunning me in the face. I hate this mission so much.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
dark10x said:
Hold Triangle/Y

ThatHurt

dark10x said:

hold down the carjack button dont tap it.. and you will get in the back

X26 said:
Does modo and perseus really not offer and glasses/hats? looked around both stores and saw nothing. Even the hats/glasses offered in MP are not availiable in the SP?

Nothing on display so I would say not. Very disappointed with the clothing selection but pleased that you can wear gear that you are given to wear in missions (so far a
balaclava
and a
white/green biker jacket
)

To those who like the manual gun control, what sensitivity are you using? With the default settings, the reticle moves like molasses, so hopefully the sensitivity will help. I really don't want to use auto-aim, so I'd like to get as good with manual aim as possible. Also, is it just me, or does it take a while after pulling the trigger to get a bullet to come out? It's nearly impossible to me to burst fire.

X26

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
FUCKING SNOWSTORM OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

If it's not the fucking popos ramming me to hell and back as I try to get across the sole, single two lane fucking road connecting to the islands, it's the fucking NOOSE jackasses shotgunning me in the face. I hate this mission so much.

Took me 3 attempts myself. Try to make sure you're healed up before picking up the coke (should be a health kit and maybe even a vest in the building somewhere) and then just slowly make your way out, taking cover infront of hallways and taking out the guys who rush in.

Sylar

Banned
I've only done like ten missions so far, I haven't even really played it, just random people stopping in from the dorm wanting to just screw around since I got it yesterday morning. :lol

dark10x

Thanks for the answers on the taxi. I had a visitor stop by yesterday when those instructions first appeared and I missed them.

X26 said:
Took me 3 attempts myself. Try to make sure you're healed up before picking up the coke (should be a health kit and maybe even a vest in the building somewhere) and then just slowly make your way out, taking cover infront of hallways and taking out the guys who rush in.

So what do you do to shake 3 stars then? Pray?

satriales

levious said:
cars actually make marks/dents in some stone walls, not sure how long they stay though.
I noticed that not only can you drive a car into the burgershot buildings but driving it into the counter leaves a crack in the tiles. It's all about the details.

X26

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
So what do you do to shake 3 stars then? Pray?

Well once you're on the road and initially get out of their sight but still in the area, you need to look ahead on the map in the direction you're going because cop cars will show up coming your way, and you'll need to avoid them before they see you by turning onto a another road, otherwise the zone refocuses on you.

G-Bus

Banned
Go to the top of a railway platform and push people down the stairs. :lol A lot more fun than it sounds. Same with bailing out of a highspeed vehicle. Euphoria kicks ass.

Finally got multiplayer working last night. Pretty fun. Just played DM and TDM. Lots of potential. Just not that great with a bunch of random people. Everyone just runs around like a headless chicken, no one uses cover. Hopefully it gets better as time goes on. Suppose everyone is still getting used to the controls and what not.

Ferrio

Banned
I really don't like the music selection. Of course I'm a rock person and I'm not fond of any of the choices on the rock station.

Unexpectedly I really like the russian station though, and my default choice.

Evlar

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Any chances of a patch that would fix some of the frame rate and pop-up issues? Or is something like that not technically possible?
It's not impossible but I'm sure they've been working on frame rate and pop-in for months, it's not a problem they were unaware of when they shipped the game.

dark10x

CartridgeBlower said:
Any chances of a patch that would fix some of the frame rate and pop-up issues? Or is something like that not technically possible?
Technically, it's possible, but I highly doubt they will do anything like that.

Yeah, I'm also loving that station. Very strange, yet awesome.

Onemic

Xdrive05 said:
So far I've really only tried Free Roam on multiplayer, which is a blast itself; just screwing around with a bunch of others.

I'm never touching free roam until I unlock all parts of the city.

farnham

Banned
because of all the GTA hype

i finished the flight missions in GTA SA today...

Man I really need to finish the game and get GTA IV...

is there any reference to the old titles btw..?

I loved the fact that leone forelli and Maria basically met in front of CJ :lol :lol

Can I change the button configuration for shooting? I want R1 to shoot and L1 to aim. It doesn't feel right with R1 (aim) and L1 (shoot).

farnham said:
is there any reference to the old titles btw..?

Err, I knew that in VC, SA and I guess GTA3 the people on the streets said "Hey, I'm walking here!" when you ran into them. Today I ran into a bum on the sidewalk and he said "Hey, I'm urinating here!". :lol

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
After playing GTAIV for a bit I think Saints Row 2 will be able to stand out and get a good score

GTAIV = Great Game, but far from perfect.

bill0527

Just spent my first 2 hours with it. I'm not blown away by it graphically, it must have gotten pefect 10's based on technical merits instead of eye candy. Its definitely Grand Theft Auto. I haven't had any HOLY SHIT !! moments yet with the game. Mostly just a nice warm, fuzzy nostalgic feeling that its good to be playing a new GTA.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ferrio said:
I really don't like the music selection. Of course I'm a rock person and I'm not fond of any of the choices on the rock station.

Although I need to let the rock station sink in a bit more (only like I Wanna Be Your Dog so far, but inclusion of Queen is immediate and complete fail in my book), you're definitely on the money with the Russian station. Ruslana as host + Ring King + weird pop songs = win. I always leave it going for a while when I hit it. Ambient station is pretty rad too. Jean Michel Jarre :bow

Powerslave said:
Why is there no Metal in this game? :(

iew

Did you guys encounter the rambling maniac across from the Bohan safehouse? He has quite the ramble. I sat and listened to him talk for like 5 minutes and he didn't once repeat himself.

Wizman23

Banned
This thread has become nothing but disappointments and moans. Why? Because 1 out of 10 people don't like GTA games to begin with and bought it due to the hype. After playing for a short period of time, they abandon the game before it heats up and they come in here.

As for everyone else, they won't post in this thread because they are too busy playing the game to excess. 5AM binges and exhausted workdays. Minutes fade into hours as they experiment with everything from toying with the AI and Physics to exploring every stoop of their brooklyn-esque virtual neighborhood.

This game is godly. But then again, I'm a huge fan of the series. I am not disappointed at all.

GREAT POST and I agree 100%. I was one that really didn't like the first few GTA's and bought this one on the hype and great reviews. I can honestly say that it IS the greatest game I have ever played.

Soroc

Agreed :D

sinnergy

Klaxon said:
Err, I knew that in VC, SA and I guess GTA3 the people on the streets said "Hey, I'm walking here!" when you ran into them. Today I ran into a bum on the sidewalk and he said "Hey, I'm urinating here!". :lol

Vlad says: I am walking here in one of the cutscenes eheheheh
When I hear that I always have think "back to the future"

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Guys I need help with a question answered:

How do you keep a car in this game? I had a corvette and they are fucking amazzzing in this game. But then I had to do a mission for someone where they wanted me to use their car because it had what I needed to deliver in it. So I did what I thought was the smart thing and made a custom way point back to where I started. Well after the mission I go back and my car isn't there anymore?

How do you keep cars?

Top Bottom