• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Teknoman

UncleGuito said:
Shit, is the PS3 multiplayer still down? I can't connect, just like last night.

Its up its just people dont know how to start a game correctly it seems.

EDIT: So the game disconnected isnt their fault? I keep trying to get a cops and crooks game going, but people pop in and out in a split second.

Somnia

Teknoman said:
Its up its just people dont know how to start a game correctly it seems.

EDIT: So the game disconnected isnt their fault? I keep trying to get a cops and crooks game going, but people pop in and out in a split second.

I just joined a cops and crooks..game started and then ended immediatly. I saw myself and 1 other guy in the cop car and when it ended it only showed me on the scoreboard at the end and now it won't let me reconnect to the game servers. Stupid ass GameSpy!!!

Teknoman

Rockstar has done the impossible. Its made PSN voice chat with bluetooth headsets full open mic AND decent volume to hear clearly.

Somnia

Fixed2BeBroken said:
My holy shit moment was playing a game of cops and crooks. That mode is just ridiculously fun for some reason

Crook in a suit + M4 + Park/Streets w/ peds + cop = me recreating heat

I bought the PS3 version and a brand new Dual Shock with this game and I am getting no rumbling out of my dual shock. Is this normal? I know the game supports the rumble feature, yet when i get into fights or get hit by a car no rumble. Is my game defective? I know that the controller is able to rumble because when i switch rumble from OFF to ON it gives me a quick rumble to let me know. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Evlar

Banned
I get rumble on my DS3. I know for certain I feel it when standing near explosions and when receiving phone calls and messages (phone is set to "Ring and Vibrate"). Can't recall what happens in fistfights, gunfights, etc.

newsguy

Hey thar guys! Well, I'm back from the GTA binge and I'm fully satisfied. My wow moment of the day.

I'm blindfiring my shotty from behind a cab just because I can. Some lady drives by and I blow out her windshield. From off in the distance I can hear some car come to a screeching halt and the guy who comes out is holding a handgun. He says something like "hey, what are you doing!" As he runs at me a Mercedes SL (or whatever it's GTA equivalent is) hits him at about 50mph. lulz. What did I learn? Don't try to be a hero.

Teknoman

franke8568 said:
I bought the PS3 version and a brand new Dual Shock with this game and I am getting no rumbling out of my dual shock. Is this normal? I know the game supports the rumble feature, yet when i get into fights or get hit by a car no rumble. Is my game defective? I know that the controller is able to rumble because when i switch rumble from OFF to ON it gives me a quick rumble to let me know. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Crash a car, Get shot, get in a thunder storm, blow something up.

EDIT: So did you guys catch the latest episode of 72? :lol

AirBrian

bigmakstudios said:
For those of you with the 360 version, what are your display settings? I found the default settings to be way too dark, at least for my TV.
I did two clicks to the right on brightness and 1 click to the right on contrast. Seems to work for me, but I have the 360 going through VGA -- it might be different for those going through component or HDMI.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Should i be playing more singleplayer? I've done up to first date, but Multiplayer's got its grip on me. So much fun.

Teknoman

Eh, i'll just turn on the in game TV and do some homework for tomorrow. Watching that comedy show with Split Sides. Mens room just went off.

:lol Robot Wars mention? I remember that.

EDIT: WHOA I just saw Red Dead Revolver on TV!

EDIT 2: Wtf an underwater home theater? :lol Also enfante terrible mention?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
"We need people to see that the internet is a series of tubes" on PLR radio :lol I fucking love it.

Costanza

Banned
Teknoman said:
Crash a car, Get shot, get in a thunder storm, blow something up.

EDIT: So did you guys catch the latest episode of 72? :lol
Are there seriously episodes of 72 on the TV? I need to see!

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
bigmakstudios said:
For those of you with the 360 version, what are your display settings? I found the default settings to be way too dark, at least for my TV.
I've got the brightness and contrast 1 notch off full on the ingame settings and saturation up 2. It was way to dark before, and the colors were sorta greyish bland. The only problem with having the saturation up a little is that you cant read the red text in the cab because it glows huge and blurs. Not that it matters because the icon you need is on the left.

Frenck

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
FUCKING SNOWSTORM OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

If it's not the fucking popos ramming me to hell and back as I try to get across the sole, single two lane fucking road connecting to the islands, it's the fucking NOOSE jackasses shotgunning me in the face. I hate this mission so much.

So I'm not alone?

It wouldn't be as bad as it is if I had an RPG or at least some reinforcements. And I thought the street races were hard :-(

I always thought that Vice City > San Andreas > Liberty City.

After playing halfway through the single player and putting a good 5 hours into the MP GTAIV has not been able to really satisfy. Good ole GTA I guess, I expected 'next gen' after those glowing reviews, I can't help being dissapointed.

Beaulieu

Allo.

Is there a way to get the radar to be bigger? I cant see the icons, they are way too little. Im playing 1 meter away from my 27' HDTV and I cant see shit.

Especially frustrating for the weapons in multi.
And in SP, I need to look at the map each time to know what the white icons are. Cant differenciate them !

Actually, all of the HUD is too small, I have a hard time seeing how much money I own.

Teknoman

Costanza said:
Are there seriously episodes of 72 on the TV? I need to see!

Well I saw an advert, so there MIGHT be episodes. Im hoping there are...or maybe they'll add some in patches?

Im just stuck with the few stations Roman's apartment... lol at the beer commercial song. This stuff sounds like its straight off Adult Swim or South Park :lol

Giard

Ok, I need help with
Deconstruction for Beginners
. I can't see shit cause it's night, and I keep getting killed. I can't seem to lock-on to stuff to throw grenades (I'm holding the trigger but not completely) and it doesn't do crap. I keep dying, I think this is my 7th try or so.

More details:
I die trying to get to the last union leader usually. I see the chopper landing, but I get killed before I can get over there.

Teknoman

Omotesando said:

After playing halfway through the single player and putting a good 5 hours into the MP GTAIV has not been able to really satisfy. Good ole GTA I guess, I expected 'next gen' after those glowing reviews, I can't help being dissapointed.

Have you played more than Deathmatch? AND with people who use voice comm effectively?

Also bitches love initials.

Boondocks reference ftw

Evlar

Banned
Omotesando said:

Maybe you're a little burned out... That would be at least 20 hours of gameplay.

Ranger X

Beaulieu said:
Allo.

Is there a way to get the radar to be bigger? I cant see the icons, they are way too little. Im playing 1 meter away from my 27' HDTV and I cant see shit.

Especially frustrating for the weapons in multi.
And in SP, I need to look at the map each time to know what the white icons are. Cant differenciate them !

Actually, all of the HUD is too small, I have a hard time seeing how much money I own.

It's next-gen disease. You need to zoom the map. It's very annoying.

AmMortal

Banned
Guys, how the hell do get rid of six stars? i just did Snowstorm and got the fuck out, helps please.

im in a helicopter right now just going in lapse in the air praying they'll leave me alone.:(

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Giard said:
Ok, I need help with
. I can't see shit cause it's night, and I keep getting killed. I can't seem to lock-on to stuff to throw grenades (I'm holding the trigger but not completely) and it doesn't do crap. I keep dying, I think this is my 7th try or so.

More details:
I die trying to get to the last union leader usually. I see the chopper landing, but I get killed before I can get over there.
Just go to sleep to pass time and do it during the day, and it's not that hard, just take your time and destroy everyone with the AK.

If you have 6 stars on Snow Storm you've done something wrong :p

Some of these later missions are going to make you wish the game had checkpoints, especially the
bank robbery =(

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
For those of you who care -

My store didnt have a midnight opening, so we lost a lot of business in comparasion to all the other stores within 1km of us who did, and sold 400+ copies at midnight.

So far our sales numbers are -

Ps3: 73 reg, 34 Special
360: 91 reg, 30 special

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow, the Cellphones Dark Grey text on Light Grey Background was a bonehead decision. Even chaning the text to large its still hard to see.

Teknoman

Ranger X said:
It's next-gen disease. You need to zoom the map. It's very annoying.

Seriously. Lost Planet's post base map fell to this, MGO has fallen to this disease as well. Those base number icons? Cant see em at all. The map in that game is pretty well visible though.

I emailed rockstarsupport about it...maybe they'll make some sort of patch improving it? The HUD kicks ass, but the mini-microscopic icons dont. Same for the cellphone with no backlight.

Though they are the first developer i've seen thats made Bluetooth online speak actually loud enough to be heard clearly.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So does the fact that I picked a fight with the first orthodox Jew I saw make me an anit-semite? I just wanted to see if I could knock his hat off.

Anyway, I keep hearing that you can put your MP3s on the harddrive and have them play on one of the radio stations. I didn't see that anywhere in the manual. Is that true?

Giard said:
Ok, I need help with

More details:

If you can't see shit at night, start the mission during the day. I have completed that mission in one try, you don't have to rush the last few mobs, kill them with caution (use the cover system), take your time. The chopper landed and took off. At that moment I thought the mission was over, but it actually took off without the union leader. I took my time killing every henchmen, then went after the union leader. He was trying to climb a ladder, I shotgunned him in the back.

I don't know if it is possible to lock on people with grenades, I play without auto-targeting.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well, unlocked Manhattan and...the game just got even better. That island is so amazing...and it was so gorgeous seeing the times square lights come up during the sunset.

IMG_0583.JPG

Also, some people are saying the 360 doesn't have a "full screen" option like the PS3 for watching TV. The PS3 doesn't really have a full screen, but a really zoomed in screen:

IMG_0584.JPG

Is that view not available on the 360?

Teknoman

truly101 said:
So does the fact that I picked a fight with the first orthodox Jew I saw make me an anit-semite? I just wanted to see if I could knock his hat off.

Anyway, I keep hearing that you can put your MP3s on the harddrive and have them play on one of the radio stations. I didn't see that anywhere in the manual. Is that true?

You cant. You should be able to use the 360 blade menu to play music in game, but dont think there is any option for custom radio station.

Also how long does it take zitted music to show in the Social Club? I've got my PSN ID linked properly but...

Teknoman

Chubigans, do you get more stations with that better TV?

PS3 version has 3 views:

Far back with Niko visible view.
Closer view where you see the TV but still see background items
And the really close up TV view where you tje view is at its largest.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Game just got stuck on the same mission 2 times
After Romans place got burned down and you meet the rapper and need to follow the drugdealer without getting to close

The chase is really fucking long too so im done for today, hope it isnt a bug on my disc or something, that would really suck.

emoticon-sad.jpg

Teknoman

Is that Wanda Sykes on the home shopping show? Really sounds like her trying to do a fake countryish accent.

chubigans said:
I only get Weasel with that one, I think. :(

Roman must have free cable or something then.

Top Bottom