• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Teknoman

Jedeye Sniv said:
Perhaps like the jackass on the previous page was saying, your involvement with her may have repercussions down the line.

Thats kinda why im psyched about my first decision during a mission. Might experience something totally different because of my choices.

Hootie

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.gif

This game has been blowing my mind these past two days...too epic to put into words.

I was up until 5am last night playing it and I took the day off today to play it, too.

Halp! :lol

Himuro said:
OMG

The internet is so awesome :lol

I love the "Free Cash" Pyramid scheme website; RIGHT under the pyramid picture the first sentence says something like "This is definitely not a pyramid scheme". The whole site made me laugh out loud.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Jedeye Sniv said:
Perhaps like the jackass on the previous page was saying, your involvement with her may have repercussions down the line.

Fuck you, doggy!

Doc Evils

anddo0 said:
I see a lot of folks talking about Michelle.
I'm 100% with her, went on 5 dates and hit it 3 times.

Is there any point in dating her anymore?

Oh you'll end up finding something about her that will be big later on.

traveler

Not Wario
When do the meaningful choices start coming into play? I've just
moved to the second safehouse
and have yet to encounter any "make a decision" moment. (No spoilers please; just a time/mission completage number or something)

Concept17

Teknoman said:
Technical merits and design because of the tons of stuff going on. Also the game still looks damn nice, and has some of the best water on the market bar Crysis and Uncharted of course.

While single details throughout the game are certainly far from the best, the game has me in complete awe every five minutes or so. The lighting through the city, especially during sunrise/set and raining is phenomenal. Ohhh and when its raining and you get that weird glare effect on the road as you drive. Looks sooo awesome.

traveler

Not Wario
You guys wanna tag that stuff? I didn't have any idea
Michelle
was going to end up having anything noteworthy in the story happen. Now I may not know what it is, but it'll no longer be a surprise when it hits. :/

dalin80

Banned
My copy turned up a few hours ago (dropped off at wrong house), currently doing some missions with lil jacob, as a side result i now reading everytin' ere wit' jamaican accent you know brotha'.

traveler said:
When do the meaningful choices start coming into play? I've just
moved to the second safehouse
and have yet to encounter any "make a decision" moment. (No spoilers please; just a time/mission completage number or something)

What about that guy that Vlad sent you after? I chased him to the end of a roof and had the choice to let him fall or help him up.

...I helped him up :)

Alex

civilstrife said:
What about that guy that Vlad sent you after? I chased him to the end of a roof and had the choice to let him fall or help him up.

...I helped him up :)

Fuck, I KNEW when that ended I should've kept pursuit. I just fucking shot him from a distance.

Teknoman

dalin80 said:
My copy turned up a few hours ago (dropped off at wrong house), currently doing some missions with lil jacob, as a side result i now reading everytin' ere wit' jamaican accent you know brotha'.

Seen.

Concept17

dalin80 said:

brada, man... brada, ya seen?

Hootie

I've totally neglected Michelle, the first three dates were great and I banged her once, but now I just drive the car into the ocean and jump out right before, every single time. :lol

I really hope I'm not F'ed later on in the game.

dfyb

Banned
chespace said:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/24/grand-theft-auto-iv-a-brutal-new-world/

Says this about your phone, and in particular the phone camera:

RINGING ENDORSEMENT

Just like real life, it's imperative to carry a cell phone in Liberty City. Here's how to use different phone functions in Grand Theft Auto IV:

* Phonebook: Lists the names and numbers for all of your virtual friends. You can use this to find missions or jobs, or arrange nightly outings such as hanging out at a bar or shooting a game of pool.

* Messages: If you miss a call or decide not to answer your phone, friends can leave text messages for you. You also can send messages to friends within the game.

* Organizer: Some missions and dates need to be planned in advance. This in-phone organizer alerts you when your appointment is coming up.

* Camera: After earning a better phone you can use this feature to take pictures and send them to friends. Occasionally, you'll need to do this in a mission.

WTF?
i have the camera phone. you can't save or send pics (or at least, i havn't figured out how). you only send a pic to
playboy x during a mission.
you can "take a pic," but you can't save it or anything... so it's pretty useless.

KTallguy

Banned
Hootie said:
I've totally neglected Michelle, the first three dates were great and I banged her once, but now I just drive the car into the ocean and jump out right before, every single time. :lol

I really hope I'm not F'ed later on in the game.

I gotta try that when I get home.
I don't even want to touch her, she's that annoying.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
dfyb said:
i have the camera phone. you can't save or send pics (or at least, i havn't figured out how). you only send a pic to
playboy x during a mission.
you can "take a pic," but you can't save it or anything... so it's pretty useless.

The phone should have a video camera in it. Saved films ftw!
dlc? If we moan hard enough?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I can't play again until this friday! ARGH

My roommate packed up and had his parents bring it back to his house (its co-owned by all three of us) without saying anything. He's not going back home until tomorrow and he has a huge SUV with more than enough space for it.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed (only two days, but comon! GTA4!!!). Only games I can play on it now are Pixeljunk Monsters and Lair through remote play. :(

edit: WTF at all the spoilers about twists and shit? Keep that shit blacked out.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I tried the multiplayer for a bit.

Pretty boring unless you're playing with an organized team. The city is so huge that most of the time you're left to walking or running around looking for a car to HOPE you find someone on the other team. Plus the on foot controls are absolute garbage, Saint's Row and Crackdown have far superior control schemes.

HAY GUYZ HOLD A TO RUN.

meh. almost fell asleep playing multi.

Teknoman

Jedeye Sniv said:

Maybe, I mean Rockstar says they want to expand the Social Club for GTA IV and other Rockstar games over time.

Wtf is up with the phillipino(sp) jokes? Am I missing something?

Cerrius said:
I tried the multiplayer for a bit.

Pretty boring unless you're playing with an organized team. The city is so huge that most of the time you're left to walking or running around looking for a car to HOPE you find someone on the other team.

meh. almost fell asleep playing multi.

Deathmatch maybe, but the other modes should have you hopping all over.

EDIT: How is saints row superior? Didnt the on foot controls for jogging/running work the same for MP there as it does here? Its been awhile, but I remember it having a run button as well.

Issun23

So after an in-game week or so Michelle phones up and asks me to take her out again. I agree to meet up and go for a burger. She says "I like simple stuff like that." On the way there I accidentally bump into a police car and end up in a MASSIVE chase from which I only manage to get away after 10 or so minutes - all the while she screams like crazy, "You're being chased by the police?! Are you a criminal Niko Bellic?!"

Anyways I take her home and this time I try my luck. Niko asks if he can go in, she goes "Not even if you paid up 2 million dollars!" Niko insists and wants a kiss. She answers back "You are not shy at all, are you?" And she kissed him.

Now she won't go out with me again. ;_;

dfyb

Banned
Jedeye Sniv said:
well i saw a commercial on GTAIV TV for a video phone that lets you watch video on demand.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
CAREFUL SPECIAL EDITION PEOPLE

I accidentially spilled some water on the art book. Then i picked it up and wiped it on my white shirt.

dammit if it didn't leave the biggest, deepest ink stain on my shit. The water didn't even have time to soak in. WTF is this book made out of?!

Bikes are really easy to handle and more fun to drive than cars.

Do you earn money after completing even simple missions like picking up somebody? I was supposed to pick up Ramon from hospital and got into unintentional cop chase and was late. Later in the game, I got message that somebody else picked him up.

Issun23

EnjoyIncubus said:
Wait until you hear his friend Real Badman.

I stopped looking at subtitles when he's talking and started looking at Niko's face. His expressions and reactions to Badman are funny as hell. :lol

Teknoman

MirageDwarf said:
Bikes are really easy to handle and more fun to drive than cars.

Do you earn money after completing even simple missions like picking up somebody? I was supposed to pick up Ramon from hospital and got into unintentional cop chase and was late. Later in the game, I got message that somebody else picked him up.

Youth, no get dem man ta dem destnaton, man no see no paypa. Seen?

LakeEarth

Ahh, I hate it when the cops start chasing you cause THEY ran into you. But that's something that's always happened in every GTA.

i've only played like 6 missions, but is the internet cafe in another part of the city and introduced later because i can't find it. i'm playing on the ps3 and i haven't had any lag, framrate issues or freezing problems; very smooth experience so far. i had to adjust my tv's display settings (sharpness) because the game had a little too many jaggies when i first booted it up; now it looks amazing though. although, i just got a new tv 2 days ago and haven't properly calibrated it yet so that may be why i had a lot of jaggies.

edit: online play is working perfect for me but why the hell can i only find 5 people to play with in free mode? where are all the people.

Somnia

Man the voice acting on the mission "Hostile Negotiations" is so good. Nico truly sounds pissed off and emotional. Really moving scene during such a big shoot out.

Issun23

criesofthepast said:
i've only played like 6 missions, but is the internet cafe in another part of the city and introduced later because i can't find it.

Internet cafe is introduced later in a mission.

blanky

that Retail Therapy achievement - for getting someone to sell guns from his car to you - does this naturally happen from the story or do I have to work for it?

I had two crashes so far :( one I could still boot back to the guide, but jsut now I was really doing well in Multiplayer(finalllly getting in a game which happens like almost never) then it just froze.

How could I improve my driving? I mean... I guess I'm not totally horrible at it, but I have trouble taking sharp turns. And I'm sure there's going to be a lot of driving missions in the game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
bigmakstudios said:
How could I improve my driving? I mean... I guess I'm not totally horrible at it, but I have trouble taking sharp turns. And I'm sure there's going to be a lot of driving missions in the game.

You have to lay off the gas and use the handbrake only when doing 180-360 degree spins.

I've gone from crashing into everything to darting between traffic and sliding into turns like a pro. Real life level-up ftw.

Coop

Doing a mission for
Brucie
and lol @
Niko's date page... I want a man with big arms to hold me (or something similar)

Top Bottom