• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Wollan

Just reached the epic mission often mentioned in a few reviews as a example high point.
Bank heist in the middle of the city. So totally Heat. It's downright brilliant.
I left a save spot just for this one.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Is anyone else having some major framerate issues with this game (PS3 version)? As soon as a few things are going on, or I'm driving fast, the game pretty much "pauses" for a second or two. Any word from Rockstar about patching this?

FIREBABY

So many questions. First, did I just sell coke? After doing a mission I saw this icon in the shape of a person. So I drive to it and get out of the car, walk over and this guy starts spitting off some jibberish and at the end he said thanks for the coke. what the hell did I miss? Next up maybe the experts can help me with this. Are the stations on the radio dynamic? I swear today I listened to a different set of songs than the day before. Some songs were different but the majority were different. This is one of the little things that make this game so much more alive than other games in the genre. Last question. Does it matter which order I do the missions? Because I really don't won't to screw up something I can't take back.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
My god multiplayer is so much fun.

*I drive the attack heli loaded with black people - I've never driven the heli before* : "AIYO MAN, WHAT THE FUCK YOU DOING, SETTLE THIS SHIT THE FUCK DOWN!"

*minutes later, i bail out of the heli because I can't figure out the controls*: "Aw fuck, mudda fucka just bailed out, we going DOWN, son, aw shit, OH SHIT AW FUCK! *explosion*:lol

Iamthegamer said:

*I drive the attack heli loaded with black people - I've never driven the heli before* : "AIYO MAN, WHAT THE FUCK YOU DOING, SETTLE THIS SHIT THE FUCK DOWN!"

*minutes later, i bail out of the heli because I can't figure out the controls*: "Aw fuck, mudda fucka just bailed out, we going DOWN, son, aw shit, OH SHIT AW FUCK! *explosion*:lol

they could have been white. just cause they talk a certain way doesnt mean they are a certain way

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Iamthegamer said:

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Iamthegamer said:

:lol

koam

Giving this game a 10/10 is rediculous. I'm still early in but i see a lot of flaws with the game already. Having said that, despite some issues with controls the game seems to be shaping up quite well. I wonder if i'll end up liking this as much as SA though.

Iamthegamer said:

Oh god, the dialog in this game is so funny. :) Everywhere I go I hear the damnest things come out of peoples' mouths. Nearly took some guy out with the car, he jumps back and yells "cheesy vaginas!!" Christ, I almost died laughing.

SpeedingUptoStop

Fixed2BeBroken said:
they could have been white. just cause they talk a certain way doesnt mean they are a certain way
No, they identified themselves as black dudes, the whole room was black outside me and a couple other guys. They were cool though, i sent'em all friend requests. They kept picking on this kid who kept asking here the heli was at, it was hilarious. "Stop askin' mutha fuckin questions and PLAY the GOD DAMN GAME!":lol

djkimothy

Iamthegamer said:

Oh man, I have got to get this game...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The gameplay is still poor :(

This is the first GTA I've ever actually bought. The poor gameplay mechanics always made them simply rentals. This one is definitely better, but still, I don't see how they can't get a good formula going after 4 iterations and 100 million dollars spent on this title. It's like the focus way too much on all the extra stuff and don't spend too much time on combat mechanics and gameplay. Fist fighting seems considerably worse than other installments. I hate tapping A to sprint. The camera does annoying things, especially when making sharp turns while driving.

I could have easily forgone some of the fluff for crackdown/saints row-esque gameplay mechanics that work better. I've always described GTA games as five different 7/10 games wrapped into a single package. I still think that analogy applies here.

Still a great game, and a worthy purchase.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Winterblink said:
Oh god, the dialog in this game is so funny. :) Everywhere I go I hear the damnest things come out of peoples' mouths. Nearly took some guy out with the car, he jumps back and yells "cheesy vaginas!!" Christ, I almost died laughing.

Bwahaha, I also got the cheesy vaginas line. :lol :lol

I was in the subway with a homeless dude...it says, "Press L1 to give him money." So I throw it...right on the train tracks. Guy goes to pick it up and BAM!

Oh man. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
This is my first GTA experience since GTA II :lol

I never played any of the GTA III or expansions/addons.

So far I am having a lot of fun. I find it odd that I spend 30 minutes last night channel surfing in the game and enjoyed it. I love just wandering around the city and city where I can go. I have only done a few missions so far but not in any rush really.

I do think the language and "sex" stuff is a little over the top, but I understand that is part of the universe they created so no biggy. I just think it is too much sometimes...

Oh, and get this...this is how much of a console rookie I am lol....I spent at least 15 minutes staring at my controller wondering WTF is an L3 button??? when I was supposed to honk the horn in the car. Until GTA IV I never knew the L3 and R3 buttons existed :lol

SIDE NOTE....

Am I the only one that is constantly being reminded of Mafia (PC version anyway) while playing this. Brings back memories of driving around the huge city in that game. Makes me want Mafia 2 to come sooner :)

newsguy

Iamthegamer said:

What the shit? :lol :lol :lol Wait, you played with us the other night (ujustlost). Was that a later game with our group or was this with random people?

Timedog said:
The gameplay still sucks :(

This is the first GTA I've ever actually bought. The poor gameplay mechanics always made them simply rentals. This one is definitely better, but still, I don't see how they can't get a good formula going after 4 iterations and 100 million dollars spent on this title. It's like the focus way too much on all the extra stuff and don't spend too much time on combat mechanics and gameplay. Fist fighting seems considerably worse than other installments. I hate tapping A to sprint. The camera does annoying things, especially when making sharp turns while driving.

I could have easily forgone some of the fluff for crackdown/saints row-esque gameplay mechanics that work better.

Still a great game, and a worthy purchase

THEFUCK.jpeg

SpeedingUptoStop

I can't believe i haven't really touched the singleplayer at all. Multiplayer is so much fun, I'm about $450 away from leveling up to level 3, hopefully I get some tight new digs.

BALLIN'!

TheGreatDave said:
Is there any benefit to me for talking to Michelle, other than the achievement I got after the first date?

I was wondering that too. I got the
first date and warm coffee acheivements
and was wondering if I should move on to another date.

I tried to get the dancer with the dyed hair from Bohan. I got an email saying she wasn't ready to dating :(

In other notes:

-I just got chased into Bohan by that traitor Dimitri and Niko's old friend. I can't believe that actually took a hideout from you. Is that a series first? Also, I hope there wasn't a reward for persisting on Roman's cab jobs, I only did a couple of them before killing Mikhail and setting the wheels of fate in motion.

-I love how this game so effortlessly flows between the comedic and the dead serious. You have that recovering crack addict, Roman (most of the time) and anything Badman says. Then, you have pretty much anything with Mikhail (especially the talk with his wife) and the email you get from Niko's mom. :(

-Funniest mission so far was Final Destination. I chased the rat down the subway platform, got in front of his Dodge Viper and blew his brains out through the windshield. Threw his body out, repaited it and rolled with style. :D

After 14 hours of play yesterday, I didn't touch it at all today because i'm so tired. Thankfully I have the next week free from doing anything (WOOH for not studying finals until the day before!). GTA4 nonstop starting tomorrow at 10 am.

SpeedingUptoStop

newsguy said:
What the shit? :lol :lol :lol Wait, you played with us the other night (ujustlost). Was that a later game with our group or was this with random people?
I just played that game a half hour ago. Your games were fun too though, i added some of those people. Nice dudes.

These guys? Not so much.:lol :lol I still love'em equally though. Basically, if you can make me lmao irl or just basically be a bunch cool dudes, you got a friend request from me

Teknoman

Iamthegamer said:

Im probably gonna end up making a "Get to da choppa" reference if we get into a game with a helicopter.

quest said:
Yep have GT5:p sitting in my PS3 at the moment.

You should be driving like a pro.

SpeedingUptoStop

Himuro said:
Iamthegamer. I just signed onto my multiplayer account.

LET'S GO
Man, I'm so sorry, i'm hitting the sheets in a couple minutes, I got some tests tomorrow I gotta sleep in for. I should be on tomorrow though about 2:30 PM EST, we'll make some magic happen then, mmk?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Teknoman said:
Have you ever played Forza or Gran Turismo?

Dude, why the fuck would they only ruin cars then? Why are bikes perfectly drivable? And fuck the idea of going slow to fix it, I want to go fast.

And of course the gameplay still sucks. If you tried to sell this gameplay without the world behind it you'd get laughed at. It's GTA it's not about the gameplay.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
You know what I miss from San Andreas? Bicycles. That was my main mode of transportation in that game.

SpeedingUptoStop

QVT said:
Dude, why the fuck would they only ruin cars then? Why are bikes perfectly drivable? And fuck the idea of going slow to fix it, I want to go fast.

And of course the gameplay still sucks. If you tried to sell this gameplay without the world behind it you'd get laughed at. It's GTA it's not about the gameplay.

QVT, you gotta anticipate turns earlier than usual, that's all. I've seen plenty of people get run over at high speeds today, you just gotta get the shit hardwired into your system properly and you'll be good to go.

Which reminds me, I didn't get to powerslide into people with my car today. :-/

BlueTsunami

Also, unlike past GTAs, all cars are not created equal when it comes to things other than speed. Some cars handle better than others.

QVT said:

All the cars are perfectly drivable, you just need to get a feel for the new driving physics.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Iamthegamer said:
QVT, you gotta anticipate turns earlier than usual, that's all. I've seen plenty of people get run over at high speeds today, you just gotta get the shit hardwired into your system properly and you'll be good to go.

At least the navigation is cool. Much better than Extreme Navigator(Burnout Paradise)

And the copters are easy to fly. Can't wait to get one of those in the story.

SpeedingUptoStop

BlueTsunami said:
Also, unlike past GTAs, all cars are not created equal when it comes to things other than speed. Some cars handle better than others.
I recommend the family cars for people learning to drive - and staay the fuck away from SUVS. That's death on 4 seriously shot the fuck out wheels there.

Teknoman

Iamthegamer said:

Thank you. You can go blazing down the street, just slow down a little when you hit a turn. When you're decently turned into the turn, you can gun it again. That and each car handles different. Get your hands on a sports car type or some sort of tricked out import looking car, and you'll see what I mean.

HugBasket

Banned
Teknoman said:

Im probably gonna end up making a "Get to da choppa" reference if we get into a game with a helicopter.
some guy did that in a cops 'n crooks game
i shot him in the foot

this multiplayer is so awesome

SpeedingUptoStop

I haven't played Burnout Paradise in months, but when I deform cars in GTAIV, I can't quite tell which game actually does it better. GTAIV is much more specific in it's damage. The detail is incredible, as is Burnout. I pondered this as I drove on two wheels, running over pedestrians today. Another one of life's mysteries.

Teknoman

Prvt.Pegleg said:
some guy did that in a cops 'n crooks game
i shot him in the foot

this multiplayer is so awesome

You loose cannon, turn in your badge! :lol
(unless you were a crook, then more power to ya)

Zamoto

People are actually bitching about the driving in this game? Jesus, learn to use the breaks and stay away from trucks and SUVs. I think the driving in this game is considerably better then any of the past games.

The combat in close quarters however leaves much to be desired.

What I'll say so far is that the mission balance for me feels pretty good. I haven't come across that annoying mission that generally happens quite early for me in GTA's that tests my patience.

I think it may have to do with the improved controls. I don't feel like combat is random like it was in prior games. I can handle myself the way I'm supposed to.

Edit: Funny about the post above mine. I have no problem with the combat controls especially relative to what they were in prior GTA's. I'm mixed on the driving. Sometimes I like it. Sometimes I don't. Although I do like that flipped cars don't explode anymore and they seem to take more damage in general than in the past. That was getting annoying where just driving a car around normally, you could pretty easily get it so dinged that it would explode on you in the prior titles.

BlueTsunami

Himuro said:
I don't get this notion. They've always handled differently, and I'm getting into the same cars I got into I drove in past 3d titles. An Infernus will control better than a Stallion, which is a muscle car. A Landstalker has great controls, but it can be rolled over easy since it's an SUV-ish vehicle. A Manana slips and slides easily, but has decent speed. A Blista and its iterations, particularly the Blista Compact are great cars that have excellent controls and decent speed. Et cetera et cetera.

The same rules apply to GTAIV.

Hmm, never really noticed. Possibly the higher tier cars in past GTAs but in GTAIV it just feels more pronounced. I was certainly hurting when trying to drive like I did in past GTAs with GTAIV

HugBasket

Banned
Teknoman said:
You loose cannon, turn in your badge! :lol
(unless you were a crook, then more power to ya)
it is okay, i won the game by jumping off a bridge, over a wall, and then swimming across to the other island where i swam under the docks to the boat

him falling in the street as the cops were coming mattered not :)

Top Bottom