• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Teknoman

dfyb said:
this is pissing me off. i want a camera in the game that lets me save pics. this camera phone can't seem to save any pics you take so it's like playing with a Fisher Price Play Camera. UUUGH

Does it have a backlight? Im still messing around early in the game trying to become better aquainted with LJ.

derder

diddlyD said:
i just did the first lil jacob mission where you run over the 3 dudes escaping out the back, then go shoot up a house with the small cover "tutorial"

before i started it, i was at 9 missions clear, 0 failed. i failed it 2x during the shooting part, jacob dying the first, me dying the second. the third time we both lived and i drove jacob back home, got the little success music drop and autosave. i checked my stats, and it says 9 missions clear, 3 failed. wtf? anyone explain to me why it's not 10 clear, 2 failed? is this a bug?

btw, fuck the combat controls. my expectations were low from gta3, but they truly blew me away with how bad they're implemented here. its like a celebration of bad control. gj rockstar. also half the time the game just looks like shit on my 60" sxrd, framerate and all. i like the game overall for what it is, but there should be a class action lawsuit against all the 10/10 review scams. buncha blatant liars.

Did you ever think that you may just suck?

Teknoman

DaCocoBrova said:
Why on Earth did they do away w/ the stats things (sex appeal, driving, etc.)? That was one of the things I loved about GTA:SA. It neuters the experience on a lot of levels, specifically Niko customization.

That alone would remedy the complaints people have about driving.

No it wouldnt. The cars handle like Gran Turismo or Forza would. Has nothing to do with Niko as a game character. That stats thing was toned down so they could focus more on the core gameplay improvements. That and no one wants a fat or buff Niko.

dfyb

Banned
Teknoman said:
Does it have a backlight? Im still messing around early in the game trying to become better aquainted with LJ.
yes. i can
download ringtones and themes off the web and have them sent to my phone.
i can take pics, but it just freezes the cellphone screen and does a shutter sound... but there's no cue to save and all you can do is press O to go back. there was a mission where
you take a pic and send it to playboy X's cell so he can identify the hit, but outside the mission, you can't even send the pics you take to anyone
. it's just annoying to me how they give you a cellphone, the primary new feature of said phone is a camera... and you can't even make real use of it.

BobTheFork said:
how do you get a better phone?
mission from playboy x, as described above

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Teknoman said:
No it wouldnt. The cars handle like Gran Turismo or Forza would. Has nothing to do with Niko as a game character. That stats thing was toned down so they could focus more on the core gameplay improvements. That and no one wants a fat or buff Niko.

Speak for yourself.

The customization of GTA:SA made everyone's experience w/ the game unique.

You can't mod cars in this one either I'm assuming.

Teknoman

DaCocoBrova said:
Speak for yourself.

The customization of GTA:SA made everyone's experience w/ the game unique.

You can't mod cars in this one either I'm assuming.

Nope. Also I didnt say it wouldnt make everyones experience unique...however, the choice system in this game, free aim, and euphoria makes everyones experience unique this time around.

That and it still wouldnt make driving cars better. They would still most likely handle like a racing sim because of the more "realistic" physics approach of the game.

koam

Does niko run with the analog stick alone or does he just walk unless you hold down square? I think my sixaxis is broken.

Teknoman

koam said:
Does niko run with the analog stick alone or does he just walk? I think my sixaxis is broken.

Nope. Walk = analog full tilt
Jog = X + analog full tilt
Sprint = tapping X + analog full tilt

In multiplayer your character auto jogs at full tilt.

Also good news everyone:

Email response to Zit/ Social Club lack of info/ possibly MP from support -

This is currently due to a backlog on our servers. Please be patient.

Cheers,

The Rockstar Games Social Club

DaCocoBrova

Teknoman said:
Nope. Also I didnt say it wouldnt make everyones experience unique...however, the choice system in this game, free aim, and euphoria makes everyones experience unique this time around.

That and it still wouldnt make driving cars better. They would still most likely handle like a racing sim because of the more "realistic" physics approach of the game.

Realistic they're not. Exaggerated...? Bingo!

DaCocoBrova

The bitch is a Fed.

Yeah, I said it. She doesn't deserve the ding-a-ling.

koam

Teknoman said:

Thanks, i thought it was my controller since i opened it up last week.

Teknoman

DaCocoBrova said:
Realistic they're not. Exaggerated...? Bingo!

:lol Thats why I used the quotes, but yeah its still GT or Forza esque where you have to actually know how to drive abit and not barrel down the street full speed constant. I.E. you need to brake or slow down to take a corner unless you WANT to spin out/around.

Doc Evils

Teknoman said:

Also good news everyone:

Email response to Zit/ Social Club lack of info/ possibly MP from support -

This is currently due to a backlog on our servers. Please be patient.

Cheers,

The Rockstar Games Social Club

finally got mined linked with the site:

2lj5bpj.png

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/24/grand-theft-auto-iv-a-brutal-new-world/

Says this about your phone, and in particular the phone camera:

RINGING ENDORSEMENT

Just like real life, it's imperative to carry a cell phone in Liberty City. Here's how to use different phone functions in Grand Theft Auto IV:

* Phonebook: Lists the names and numbers for all of your virtual friends. You can use this to find missions or jobs, or arrange nightly outings such as hanging out at a bar or shooting a game of pool.

* Messages: If you miss a call or decide not to answer your phone, friends can leave text messages for you. You also can send messages to friends within the game.

* Organizer: Some missions and dates need to be planned in advance. This in-phone organizer alerts you when your appointment is coming up.

* Camera: After earning a better phone you can use this feature to take pictures and send them to friends. Occasionally, you'll need to do this in a mission.

WTF?

Doc Evils

chespace said:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/24/grand-theft-auto-iv-a-brutal-new-world/

Says this about your phone, and in particular the phone camera:

RINGING ENDORSEMENT

Just like real life, it's imperative to carry a cell phone in Liberty City. Here's how to use different phone functions in Grand Theft Auto IV:

* Phonebook: Lists the names and numbers for all of your virtual friends. You can use this to find missions or jobs, or arrange nightly outings such as hanging out at a bar or shooting a game of pool.

* Messages: If you miss a call or decide not to answer your phone, friends can leave text messages for you. You also can send messages to friends within the game.

* Organizer: Some missions and dates need to be planned in advance. This in-phone organizer alerts you when your appointment is coming up.

* Camera: After earning a better phone you can use this feature to take pictures and send them to friends. Occasionally, you'll need to do this in a mission.

WTF?

Playboy x mission.

womfalcs3

Banned
Himuro said:
What diner? The one where Vlad hangs out? She says,"It seems like a place criminals would hang out at" so I assumed she didn't like it.

No. The diner is more of an RV-type setup. It has the fork/knife symbol on the map.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Teknoman said:
You? Im 11.16%, but im going to pretend that I dont know what happened. I havent had this much fun exploring the city since SA though.
yea, me too. Guess I'll back off michelle now...

Leonsito

womfalcs3 said:
No. The diner is more of an RV-type setup. It has the fork/knife symbol on the map.

I think she says that in that chicken place and in the one little restaurant that is near your home.

diddlyD

Banned
derder said:
Did you ever think that you may just suck?

thanks for the help. hows the aids virus treating you? shoulda know gaffers would only pay attention to my mini rant after the question, so here it is again.

i just did the first lil jacob mission where you run over the 3 dudes escaping out the back, then go shoot up a house with the small cover "tutorial"

before i started it, i was at 9 missions clear, 0 failed. i failed it 2x during the shooting part, jacob dying the first, me dying the second. the third time we both lived and i drove jacob back home, got the little success music drop and autosave. i checked my stats, and it says 9 missions clear, 3 failed. can anyone explain to me why it's not 10 clear, 2 failed? why did it count the third try, which seemed to end in success, as a fail?

Teknoman

diddlyD said:
thanks for the help. hows the aids virus treating you? shoulda know gaffers would only pay attention to my mini rant after the question, so here it is again.

before i started it, i was at 9 missions clear, 0 failed. i failed it 2x during the shooting part, jacob dying the first, me dying the second. the third time we both lived and i drove jacob back home, got the little success music drop and autosave. i checked my stats, and it says 9 missions clear, 3 failed. can anyone explain to me why it's not 10 clear, 2 failed? why did it count the third try, which seemed to end in success, as a fail?

Im gonna say glitch, because i'd think it would count it as 10 clear and 2 fail.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but...

Free Sniper Bullets

On the mission Luck of The Irish.
When you get the rifle on the roof, shoot one of the enemies early and the meeting will be "canceled."

Then accept the replay text message and do it again.

Elios83

Hey guys could you remember me when the officer Francis Mcreary is introduced for the first time in the game? I'm pretty sure it was in a cut scene but I'm playing the game so eagerly that I'm forgetting the small details :lol :lol
I'm sure it was in a cut-scene before the first mission with him, the one where he's blackmailed and send you an anonymous sms

JB1981

Man I fucking hate the camera. Why is this god damn thing always fighting my perspective? It's so god damn annoying and I hate that LB is mapped to picking up items. I never noticed the weight of the 360 controller til I played this game.

I'm seriously considering moving onto the PS3 version just because the controller is lighter and smaller and I like the bumper buttons better.

LowParry

Well I've put in about 2 hours so far. No freeze ups so that's good. I'm still feeling pretty "meh" about GTA in general. If I still have the same feeling 10 hours in, I just may give up on it.

knitoe

Finally, got my X360 copy and put 2 hrs into it. Currently, enjoying it, but how the hell did this game get a 10 in graphics? Even though game totally sux, Ass Creed does much better open world. 10 would be GoW and Enchanted. This is more like a 5.

DaCocoBrova

ThirstyFly said:
Thanks for the unmarked spoiler, jackass.

I feel so insulted. :(

I'm too busy trying to get my $$ to worry about dating, so that was all based on a hunch. I guess I was right.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Wow, all this talk about the game and barely anyone has mention the vastly improved wanted system in IV. Yes, it was touted a lot in previews, but they never really got across the feel of the new system.

After fucking around with the cops a lot (great fun, btw, and a load off my mind, this was the one aspect of the game I was worried about - mess it up and the whole game falls apart) I've come to the conclusion that it's a bit like Pac-man which is awesome. Whereas it used to spawn cops randomly (often incomprehensibly) around you, the new system allow you to actually see where abouts your pursuers are coming from and allow you to avoid them, slipping off down a side-road of staying put under a bridge until they move.

It's a fantastic new feature, allowing me to escape 3-star chases fairly easily now I've got the hang of it. It changes it from a utterly luck-based system to a skill-based system, with some weird meta minigame of pacman that you're playing on the radar as you drive. I'm in love!

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Does the chase cam work better once you start using helicopters? It seems completely usesless while driving a car, especially in the mission where you have to follow the train around.

anddo0

I see a lot of folks talking about Michelle.
I'm 100% with her, went on 5 dates and hit it 3 times.

Is there any point in dating her anymore?

Barrett2

Solo said:
After just one night of playing, I had serious withdrawel at work today, lolz. Couldnt stop thinking about playing tonight.

Same here. Both yesterday and today I have been so drawn into the game, I have ignored everything else. Today is a non-stop blur of GTA

Teknoman

diddlyD said:
is there a way to replay missions?

Unfortunatly, short of reloading, not that I know of. Would they show your record on the Social Club though? If that was the case, you could check and see if the stats are different.

knitoe said:
Finally, got my X360 copy and put 2 hrs into it. Currently, enjoying it, but how the hell did this game get a 10 in graphics? Even though game totally sux, Ass Creed does much better open world. 10 would be GoW and Enchanted. This is more like a 5.

29et1r8.gif

Technical merits and design because of the tons of stuff going on. Also the game still looks damn nice, and has some of the best water on the market bar Crysis and Uncharted of course.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Himuro said:
lmao @ this game deserves a 5

SMH

Anyways, checked my stats and I do indeed have 100% with Michelle, but there's no closure to the story at all and I got no reward.

Perhaps like the jackass on the previous page was saying, your involvement with her may have repercussions down the line.

Top Bottom