• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

I don't want to have to read this whole thread to find out, but I'm wondering - what can you do in co-op specifically?

Can I invite a friend into my world, get drunk and play pool?
Are there co-op missions?
Can I jack a car, pick up my buddy and just drive around shooting the shit while listening to the radio?

Co-op missions sound nice in theory - but more than anything else I'm interested in GTA4 as a space (not unlike PS3 Home) where I can meet up and fuck around with friends I can only chat with.

Any good sources of info on this? And sorry if this has been asked a million times.

Double D

Spoilers regarding PBX / Dwayne

dagZ said:
Kill Dwayne or Playboy X? will I get different things from each of them?

Here:

Vik_Vaughn said:
Kill Dwayne and get $25000, Kill Playboy and get his apartment. Also, I believe Dwayne will give you missions later in the game. I killed Playboy, and think I made the right decision.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I got drunk in the game for the first time. I like how they've done it. I actually think I'm better at driving drunk than I am when I'm sober.

G-Bus

Banned
NullPointer said:
I don't want to have to read this whole thread to find out, but I'm wondering - what can you do in co-op specifically?

1)Can I invite a friend into my world, get drunk and play pool?
2)Are there co-op missions?
3)Can I jack a car, pick up my buddy and just drive around shooting the shit while listening to the radio?

4)Co-op missions sound nice in theory - but more than anything else I'm interested in GTA4 as a space (not unlike PS3 Home) where I can meet up and fuck around with friends I can only chat with.

Any good sources of info on this? And sorry if this has been asked a million times.

1) no

2) yes. Bomb Da Base, Hangman's NOOSE, Deal Breaker. These are 4 person multiplayer games where you go and do specific missions. You can easily invite a friend so it's just the 2 of you.

3) Yes... most fun I've had.

4) free roam.

Railer

ElyrionX said:
Ummm, what's Brucie's perk like? I'm at 29% with him now. Is it worth getting it up all the way just to get it?

I'm wondering this too.
I'm however at like 70% with him , but it's still a hassle.

So i'm wondering if it is anything cool.

G-Bus said:
1) no

2) yes. Bomb Da Base, Hangman's NOOSE, Deal Breaker. These are 4 person multiplayer games where you go and do specific missions. You can easily invite a friend so it's just the 2 of you.

3) Yes... most fun I've had.

4) free roam.

Thanks - your answer to number 1 makes me sad. Seems a waste to have bowling, pool and darts mini-games and not be able to play them with anybody but the AI.

Wow, the mission
Tunnel *something*
is so annoying.

The cops are easily the worst part about this game and I think it was a huge mistake to make them the way they are. Nothing is as annoying as being at the edge of the giant ass circle only to have more cars driving towards you again.

Leaving the circle should mean lowering one star (unless it is one star, where it should be how it is now.

psycho_snake

I failed my first mission :(. Its with little jacob and its where you
take him some place, kill three people that run from the backdoor of a building, then you take him some house where you bust the front door open and shoot some people.

Instead of
running into the house when he asks you to, I thought I could back him up from shooting outside through the window, but he died straight away
I easily did it the 2nd go though.

oh and this is all I hear when little jacob speaks: bnjdqhghgeqhgeh ganja jdkjasdsddkjh

Linkzg said:
Wow, the mission
Tunnel *something*
is so annoying.

The cops are easily the worst part about this game and I think it was a huge mistake to make them the way they are. Nothing is as annoying as being at the edge of the giant ass circle only to have more cars driving towards you again.

Leaving the circle should mean lowering one star (unless it is one star, where it should be how it is now.
If you're at the edge and you see a cop heading toward you, why not just turn down a different street? The cops only chase you if they see you.

Double D

Railer said:
I'm wondering this too.
I'm however at like 70% with him , but it's still a hassle.

So i'm wondering if it is anything cool.

Brucie's perk is
Helicopter Rides
. I find it quite awesome.

psycho_snake said:
take him some place, kill three people that run from the backdoor of a building, then you take him some house where you bust the front door open and shoot some people.

Instead of
running into the house when he asks you to, I thought I could back him up from shooting outside through the window, but he died straight away

oh and this is all I hear when little jacob speaks: bnjdqhghgeqhgeh ganja jdkjasdsddkjh

you be da badman, seen brodda?

icechai

i succumbed and picked up this game yesterday. At first the graphics looked a bit rough, but the more you get into it and see what's going around you, the crazier it gets and you don't notice it.

First time playing online this morning (ps3 version). WOW! Had a standoff with a few guys in TDM behind cars across the street, suddenly a rocket flies from down the street past me into the cars the other team was hiding behind... BOOOM :D

Esperado

Holy shit, I just rammed a taxi in the back hard and it caught on fire. It was crazy because the two guys inside just jumped out in flames and then all of the sudden I see the taxi burning. After they died the taxi blows up and throws a dumpster out into the street. How the hell did rear ending a taxi start a fire?

BobFromPikeCreek said:
If you're at the edge and you see a cop heading toward you, why not just turn down a different street? The cops only chase you if they see you.

because I was on a straight street with no where to turn.

Beaulieu said:
Is it possible to hunt the pigeons in Multiplayer Free Roam ?

I don't think anyone has answered this question. Does anyone know? I told myself I was done hunting pigeons but if I can do it with a friend I may reconsider.

psycho_snake

2real4tv said:
wow some random person just pulled a shotgun and blasted me away for hitting his car while I was drunk:lol
:lol

Thats reminds me, the next time I get drunk I'm going get into a fight just to see what its like.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Gonna be buying this on my way back home. People... People... IT BETTER HAVE THE 1 MONTH XBL OR I AM GONNA CRYYY

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my fucking god!
It should be titled "I need your cloths, your boots, your motorcycle AND your Gameshark."

This is the first time I've hit a wall, I'm on like my fifth try.

dfyb

Banned
Jtwo said:
Oh my fucking god!
It should be titled "I need your cloths, your boots, your motorcycle AND your Gameshark."

This is the first time I've hit a wall, I'm on like my fifth try.
i think i beat that one first try.... and i had to deal with bullshit traffic that knocked me off my bike twice during the chase.

LOL @ the internet cafe, Don't know if any of you did this yet, but use the search engine on the homepage and go to some shady sites, one of them reports to the LCPD and gives you a five star rating. As soon as you step off the computer you're butt fucked by a million cops and two choppers outside.

Damn. I was about to go on a date with one of the freaky chicks from the dating service but a forced mission came up and it never put up her location icon :(

ElyrionX

Wow, just finished off Three Leaf Clover and that is some pure awesome homage to
Heat
right there. Everything was spot-on: the suits, the guns (awesome debut of the M4 there), the masks, the sling bags. Very nice.

Regarding Brucie's perk: What does that even mean? You call him and he gives you
a lift in a chopper to wherever you wanna go? Can you jack the chopper?

Also what is Packie's perk?

psycho_snake

How long has it taken you to get used to the layout of the map?

I've played it for about 4 hours and I know very little of the map. From my apartment, I can get to romans, michelle's and the carnival, but thats it. Tell me to go to those places at a different point on the map and I wouldnt have a clue.

ElyrionX

psycho_snake said:
How long has it taken you to get used to the layout of the map?

I've played it for about 4 hours and I know very little of the map. From my apartment, I can get to romans michelle's and the carnival, but thats it. Tell me to go to those places at a different point on the map and I wouldnt have a clue.

I don't bother. I just use the GPS.

Recoil

Esperado said:
Holy shit, I just rammed a taxi in the back hard and it caught on fire. It was crazy because the two guys inside just jumped out in flames and then all of the sudden I see the taxi burning. After they died the taxi blows up and throws a dumpster out into the street. How the hell did rear ending a taxi start a fire?

Was it a Ford Pinto?

ElyrionX

Also, regarding Katie:

Do I really have to date her? Is it part of the game's advancement? What is her perk anyway? I think she's ugly so I would rather just avoid the whole date thing and not waste my time

WrikaWrek

Banned
Where are all the clothing stores?

There's 2 perseus and a Modus on main island. But i don't see where i can get the suit with the white necktie. And where can i get eye glasses other than the ones on the Russian shop?

Cmon gaf.

Socreges

Banned
so, re: perks:

if you complete all the missions for any particular person, you get a perk? e.g. if i keep playing little jacob's missions, i'll get something? more importantly, does that person ever disappear? like if i do half the missions for little jacob, but then go on and advance in the game in other ways, will i always be able to return to him?

Recoil

Esperado said:
Holy shit, that article is wild. Nah, it was one of those taxi vans. Man, "Barbecue that seats four" is exactly what happened though.

Yeah, it was a huge scandal in the 70's. Go look up some more stuff if you haven't heard of it before, it's a fascinating story, the Wikipedia article barely scratches the surface.

Here's a video of just what happens when you rear-end a pinto: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rcNeorjXMrE

Sylar

Banned
Wheres the Salvatore Mansion mission?

Dimitri just betrayed me, but I don't remember going to that mission yet...is it up soon or did I just not notice it?

hgplayer1

John Dunbar said:
I bought the game today. It's good, but so far I'm a bit surprised at all the 10s. Melee combat and shooting aren't that fun so far. Dislike the radio stations as well. It's a fun game, but other than graphically I don't think it's that big of a leap.

Best moment so far was when I took some Michelle chick out on a second date. I had no idea what all the little marks on the map meant, so I just picked one. I went in some restaurant and came out drunk, but she wasn't. My car was gone so I stole one. When I broke the window of a parked car she said "is there something you want to tell me?". Ha. A cop also saw me steal it so I got a star. I started driving drunk and at the end of the road there was a wooden ramp and of course I couldn't resist. I drove full speed into it and I think I heard her say "you're crazy". Turned out we were pretty high up on some hill or something and landed in a pool of some sort.

Now Michelle is dead. :(

I had a similar experience. Took her to the bar and came out drunk and it was the first time in the game that I got drunk. I didnt know wtf to do since I didnt want to drive and wreck and ruin the date with her.

I had already hopped in the car then decided to try to get a cab. So when I exit the car so does she, which puts her on the sidewalk and me more in the middle of the street. I guess I caused a bit of a road block and cars in that lane started stacking up behind me.

I was swiveling the camera around looking for a cab when I heard a car crashing into something very close and a bunch of screaming. I turn to the see the car stopped right where Michelle was standing and her legs coming out from under the car. Then I notice the message that said "Michelle is dead".

From there I kinda went on a rampage and started blasting people and cars and cops with whatever guns I had on me. I ended up getting gunned down and later I got a message from Michelle asking me to pick her up from the hospital. :lol

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I'm still amazed how Rockstar was able to allow 16 players free-roam the whole city.

Fantastic achievement.

I remember playing Crackdown co-op was laggy as fuck :lol

Frenck

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Where are all the clothing stores?

There's 2 perseus and a Modus on main island. But i don't see where i can get the suit with the white necktie. And where can i get eye glasses other than the ones on the Russian shop?

Cmon gaf.

Could that be the epic MS exclusive DLC which is to be released this fall?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
There is nothing quite as satisfying as shooting someone trying to run you over. Stand in the middle of the street, someone screaming right for you, pop one shell at them with a shotgun and see the blood spatter on the window. Next thing you know the car veers off, missing you by a few feet, and crashes while the horn is steadily going off. So awesome.

Teknoman

Wow online is actually tons of fun when people play the modes correctly. Hoping to get into some more PS3 GAF games though (buy headsets!) since alot of the quick matches in other modes somehow devolve into me and 2 others doing objectives and the rest going deathmatch.

womfalcs3

Banned
psycho_snake said:

Instead of

That's what I did. When he said "let's go" or whatever it was, I ran towards the car... and couldn't make it back in time. I wish his AI was better.

No way I'm reading this whole thing but:

is it known that 1up is doing a GTA special this week? Ryan just Twittered about finishing it.

Top Bottom