• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
EviLore said:
Keep taking him out as a friend, I think I got his ability when I hit 78% on his "like" meter. Didn't do any of the package missions.

One the same path, can you put your phone in sleep mode and then get all the going out done with all your friends? Then get back to the missions afterwards?

stewacide

dskillzhtown said:
One the same path, can you put your phone in sleep mode and then get all the going out done with all your friends? Then get back to the missions afterwards?

This is what I want to know as well.

ElyrionX

For those of you wondering how to maintain your "Like" level with a particular friend, here's a method:

Answer his calls all the time and agree to his "date". Once done, immediately call him back and cancel on him. I've done that plenty of times on Jacob and I've never noticed the "Like" level ever dropping.

Scotch

Yeah maintaining the friendships is a real bitch. I just gave up on that whole thing and I'm doing fine without all the extra perks. It's still annoying that the game makes you feel bad for neglecting everyone with the text messages and stuff.

Treo360

Scotch said:
Yeah maintaining the friendships is a real bitch. I just gave up on that whole thing and I'm doing fine without all the extra perks. It's still annoying that the game makes you feel bad for neglecting everyone with the text messages and stuff.

Edit, if you're not about 70-80% done DO NOT highlight the spoiler.

For Jacob I neglected him for about 70% of the game however once
Kate
gets killed it unlocked for me.

EviLore said:
Keep taking him out as a friend, I think I got his ability when I hit 78% on his "like" meter. Didn't do any of the package missions.

I'm at like 95% "like" with him and still don't have his perk. LAME

painey

I set my phone to sleep mode and messed around for 3 hours or so, when i turned it back on i got 3 texts in a row from roman and brucie as if i had rejected them and they like me a lot less now.

Maggot9

Banned
Aladuf23 said:
Argh! the "Undress to Kill" mission is hard as shit... if anyone has tips for doing it, I'd appreciate it.
kill the one guy counting the money in the office, then just run straight outside and chase the other two, they'll be together in an SUV.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I bought the game today. It's good, but so far I'm a bit surprised at all the 10s. Melee combat and shooting aren't that fun so far. Dislike the radio stations as well. It's a fun game, but other than graphically I don't think it's that big of a leap.

Best moment so far was when I took some Michelle chick out on a second date. I had no idea what all the little marks on the map meant, so I just picked one. I went in some restaurant and came out drunk, but she wasn't. My car was gone so I stole one. When I broke the window of a parked car she said "is there something you want to tell me?". Ha. A cop also saw me steal it so I got a star. I started driving drunk and at the end of the road there was a wooden ramp and of course I couldn't resist. I drove full speed into it and I think I heard her say "you're crazy". Turned out we were pretty high up on some hill or something and landed in a pool of some sort.

Now Michelle is dead. :(

Aladuf

Banned
Maggot9 said:
kill the one guy counting the money in the office, then just run straight outside and chase the other two, they'll be together in an SUV.

Sweet, that worked perfectly, thanks.

BeeDog

Many peeps here probably won't even notice this (and care, for that matter) but I have to say the parts where Roman and Niko speak Serbian are laughably bad. :lol The same vein as when American actors try to imitate Russian in movies.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Thanks for the response Evilore.

BTW, fuck this thread and its stupid ass spoilers.

I'm scared to come in here now.

Mr. Sam

Had my first car explosion today after four days of having the game. Had just got away from the police and was waiting for the stars to disappear. Cars on fire, I think "this isn't good" and go to jump out and... BAM!! Frustrating, but damned dramatic. That's pretty much the only time I've failed to lose the cops... for shame. Has anyone else heard Nico let out an anguished "NOOOOO!" as he falls to his death? It genuinely upset me.

ElyrionX said:
Answer his calls all the time and agree to his "date". Once done, immediately call him back and cancel on him. I've done that plenty of times on Jacob and I've never noticed the "Like" level ever dropping.

Or just do the thing with them that requires the least amount of effort. Take them to whichever restaurant is closest to their home. So you can go in, and drop them off. Should only divert you for a few minutes. If you call them, you can set the activity.

Mr. Sam

Yup, I'm always the one to call them. Bowling's usually easy, but I've now started to favour bars - drunk driving is always fun, and it's not like you can't outrun one star.

stewacide

ElyrionX said:
For those of you wondering how to maintain your "Like" level with a particular friend, here's a method:

Can someone confirm if this works or not?

Double D

Treo360 said:
For Jacob I neglected him for about 70% of the game however once
FUCK!
gets killed it unlocked for me.

FUCK ME!!!!! I was zoning out and totally highlighted that.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GDJustin said:
I'm trying to burn through the story mode in under 30 hours to get that achievement out of the way, then go back and do all the side stuff. But bunch of people's missions just went up, and I dunno which one advances the story.

(spoilers for just after Three Leaf Clover)
Francis, Derrick, Gerry, or the Italian Mobster? Which one? I'm guessing the mobster, because it seems to be the one heading in a "new" direction, but I really have no idea.

Anyone?

Treo360 said:
For Jacob I neglected him for about 70% of the game however once Kate gets killed it unlocked for me.

That has to be the ALL TIME worst spoiler tag job I've seen on here. Spoiler tag your ENTIRE post next time, please.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
FUCK ME!!!!! I was zoning out and totally highlighted that.

I haven't highlighted it yet but godammit it's hard to resist looking under that tag now I've seen everyone react to it. Is it juicy??

Double D

Jedeye Sniv said:
I haven't highlighted it yet but godammit it's hard to resist looking under that tag now I've seen everyone react to it. Is it juicy??

It's safe to highlight the spoiler in the quote in my post. But seriously, don't highlight any of the others. Some people probably haven't even met the person yet, which sucks worse, because you feel like a really large chunk of the game has been spoiled.

2DMention

Banned
I took Roman to the Strip Club yesterday and ended up leaving w/o him. I looked for him in the club but he wasn't there, and I tried calling him, but I got his VM. How do you leave with him?

Double D

2DMention said:
I took Roman to the Strip Club yesterday and ended up leaving w/o him. I looked for him in the club but he wasn't there, and I tried calling him, but I got his VM. How do you leave with him?

I just waslked up to him while he was sitting in a chair and he stood up and followed me out. Maybe he can't stand up at the moment ;P

Woo-Fu

Banned
2DMention said:

Walk up next to him and hit L1. I suppose it would be LB on 360.

voltron

Gary Whitta said:
Fuck me. It says right there in the OP to tag spoilers. Can we start backing this up with bans please? I'm pissed.

Same here... and not just tags around the tiniest detail.... tag the whole fucking sentence with a guide for curious: ONLY HIGHLIGHT IF AFTER 80% etc

We ALL basically know someone big dies now ffs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Treo360 said:
For Jacob I neglected him for about 70% of the game...

Well, shit, I don't even know what you are referring to, but now I'll know what happens. I didn't even intend to highlight the spoiler, but it just sort of happened as the post didn't seem to relate to any major story events.

voltron

why the fuck is the freezing thread stickied and not this? Sure its hovering up the top anyway but thats beside the point. People are interested in it so it should be stickied.

chespace said:
Thanks for the response Evilore.

BTW, fuck this thread and its stupid ass spoilers.

I'm scared to come in here now.
Yeah. :( Got a pretty decent spoiler through this earlier.

Some of us are progressing through this game slowly, dammit! Think of us!

Treo360

Two endings? I just finished it, and while I won't spoiler tag anything (seems people are forced to highlight them ;P) I need to see the "other" ending. Although I suspect it will be somewhat similar to the ending I just saw.

I have an epic Michelle story.

I drove her to the cabaret once before, and she didn't seem to like it, so the next date I set a waypoint for that diner restaurant.

We're driving, and on the way there, there's some car blockage in the middle of the street, I slow down, and plan to go around it, but I slowed down just enough and unbeknownest to me, we're right across the street from the cabaret. Michelle immediately gets out and says, "I don't like the crowd at the cabaret..."

"Shit! No, no!" I said, and I had Niko get out and get back into the car, and she followed suite. I kinda wanted to cancel it, and continue on our way to the restaurant. The waypoint was still working, and she didn't say anything else, so I assumed everything was fine. We drive to the diner, but nothing happens, no cutscene or anything. I can buy a burger though, so I buy one, and Michelle just watches Niko eat it.

So I'm like, "Okay...now what?" I check the map, and for whatever reason, the only locations visible on the map are the carwash and the strip club.

"Alright, let's go the car wash...I guess?" So we go to the car wash, and I get the car washed. Nothing happens.

"Shit...the strip club?" So I drive all the way to the strip club, and Michelle keeps talking to Niko about the regular topics she brings up. We get to the strip club, and again, no cutscene or anything. So we're both just standing there, watching the stripper, and I'm like..."Fuck...what the hell?"

I start running around the place, jumping...looking for SOMETHING to happen, and since I was jumping, Niko suddenly latched onto the platforms the strippers are one, they scream and run off, and I'm immediately attacked by bouncers. I start fighting, and it's dark in the strip club, so after a while of fighting all these dude, I realize I'm actually punching an kneeing MICHELLE. A message appears that says, "You have made Michelle upset."

A cutscene finally triggers, with Michelle saying, "I've had enough of this bullshit, I'm going home alone." And Niko just watches her go, and doesn't say anything.

Meanwhile, I'm like:

"...."

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
voltron said:
why the fuck is the freezing thread stickied and not this? Sure its hovering up the top anyway but thats beside the point. People are interested in it so it should be stickied.

complainin' is more important than appreciatin' son

goddammit WTF allreal

Treo360

The-Switcher said:
I have an epic Michelle story.

I drove her to the cabaret once before, and she didn't seem to like it, so the next date I set a waypoint for that diner restaurant.

We're driving, and on the way there, there's some car blockage in the middle of the street, I slow down, and plan to go around it, but I slowed down just enough and unbeknownest to me, we're right across the street from the cabaret. Michelle immediately gets out and says, "I don't like the crowd at the cabaret..."

"Shit! No, no!" I said, and I had Niko get out and get back into the car, and she followed suite. I kinda wanted to cancel it, and continue on our way to the restaurant. The waypoint was still working, and she didn't say anything else, so I assumed everything was fine. We drive to the diner, but nothing happens, no cutscene or anything. I can buy a burger though, so I buy one, and Michelle just watches Niko eat it.

So I'm like, "Okay...now what?" I check the map, and for whatever reason, the only locations visible on the map are the carwash and the strip club.

"Alright, let's go the car wash...I guess?" So we go to the car wash, and I get the car washed. Nothing happens.

"Shit...the strip club?" So I drive all the way to the strip club, and Michelle keeps talking to Niko about the regular topics she brings up. We get to the strip club, and again, no cutscene or anything. So we're both just standing there, watching the stripper, and I'm like..."Fuck...what the hell?"

I start running around the place, jumping...looking for SOMETHING to happen, and since I was jumping, Niko suddenly latched onto the platforms the strippers are one, they scream and run off, and I'm immediately attacked by bouncers. I start fighting, and it's dark in the strip club, so after a while of fighting all these dude, I realize I'm actually punching an kneeing MICHELLE. A message appears that says, "You have made Michelle upset."

A cutscene finally triggers, with Michelle saying, "I've had enough of this bullshit, I'm going home alone." And Niko just watches her go, and doesn't say anything.

Meanwhile, I'm like:

"...."

Shit that was funny

25r15p1.gif

Aladuf23 said:
Argh! the "Undress to Kill" mission is hard as shit... if anyone has tips for doing it, I'd appreciate it.
Son of Godzilla said:
Undress To Kill:
I was having some trouble with this mission, fuckheads have shotguns and smgs and you have to be in ridiculously close range... So I drove a truck up to the rear exit, rammed it flush with the door so there's no way to open it. After bashing the manager counting the money's brains in with a bat I hid in the entrance, opened fire on the club, and the other two tried to flee. After not being able to get out the door, they fucking ran right up to me trying to get out. I actually trampled one in surprise.
Some of these harder missions get incredibly easy if you prepare, like bringing nades to Three Leaf, or a sports car to Snowstorm.

Steroyd

The strip club is awesome!

I went to and stayed at the strip club after the first dance, and was laughing my arse off when another stripper went into to the room.

And there's different services for a prostitute as well, finally did all three. :lol

Double D

Steroyd said:
The strip club is awesome!

I went to and stayed at the strip club after the first dance, and was laughing my arse off when another stripper went into to the room.

And there's different services for a prostitute as well, finally did all three. :lol

I have to say I was a bit disappointed that you can't drive and receive said services at the same time. I thought this game was supposed to be more realistic :D

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Did anyone else find pool really hard to play the first time? My furst game took forever. If it wasnt for michelle sinking 3 of my balls it would have taken so much longer. I either hiot the ball too hard or too soft.

I beat michelle, which makes up for losing againt her in bowling. At one point in the game I had to sink the 8 and she had 5 balls left. The whole game she had been crap, but as soon as I just had the 8 to sink in, she hit 4 out of the 5 balls she had left one right after the other.

Top Bottom