• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Narcosis

GTA IV, been playing it ALOT these last few days and loving it!

I just wanted to post something and see if anyone here had any idea on this. This vid is from a guy I know on another forum who bought the 360 GTA IV and has had some bizarre issues with the camera glitching like crazy. At first he thought his disc was bad so he traded it in for a second copy and has the same issues he captured on this vid here (and for those who don't wanna sit through the whole thing, the first part and the parts staarting around 4 min 40 sec mark are where to go):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRuaAlFN4y4

Is this a game specific glitch or some issue with his 360? Anyone else here having this problem?

Saiyu

Himuro said:
lmao

Roman's cab driver employee is fucking awesome.

The convo we just had went something like this:

Cabbie: A yellow cab is just an opportunity to get stolen. A job like, it pays well. At least, not when I'm driving cheapskates like you who drive for free because they are Roman's cousin!
Niko: I sense hostility from you.
Cabbie: Look I have six kids. I have to put food on the table. You want me fired or something? Just because someone doesn't worship the ground you walk on?
Niko: I don't want you fired. You have six kids!
Cabbie: My wife and I don't actually have any kids, but considering the amount of pussy I get on the regular, I'm pretty sure I have 6 kids out there!
Niko: Whatever you say lover man!

:lol

He always talks about his wild yet absolutely random sex escapades with the females who ride in his cab, and how much he HATES how Niko gets a ride for free. And when he comments on the stations you listen to...:lol

:lol

So far I've only used him once, and I agree about doing those taxi missions for Roman helping out with learning the layout. Stuff like what you just posted confirms this game most definitely isn't meant to be rushed.

purg3

slept with Malkin
How do I get jobs from
Jacob
? I have the option on the phone but whenever I call him, he says he doesn't have anything?

Also, I was driving down the street when I heard a huge explosion. So I turned around and the freaking gas station was on fire. I drove up to see what happened and a taxi and another car crashed into one of the pumps. Then an ambulance came and there was another large explosion that killed the paramedics. :lol

Question: how much fun is traveling 10 minutes to a mission, playing it for 10 minutes, then having an item you were taking cover behind suddenly become explosive when you get shot at?

Answer: NONE.

Why can't this game have fucking check points? At least let me start at the start point of the mission man.

_RT_

TheGreatDave said:
Question: how much fun is traveling 10 minutes to a mission, playing it for 10 minutes, then having an item you were taking cover behind suddenly become explosive when you get shot at?

Why can't this game have fucking check points? At least let me start at the start point of the mission man.

Welcome to GTA?

_RT_ said:
Welcome to GTA?

Just because they did this shit on the PS2 doesn't mean it should still exist. There's NO skill in waiting for a loading screen to end, choosing to restart a mission, waiting for the loading screen to end, getting in a cab, waiting for the loading screen to end and starting the mission. When they make it so easy to get everywhere with the cab why restrict people like they do?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Tokubetsu said:
Am I the only one having problems joining ranked deathmatch and tdm games? It just makes me the host and no one ever joins my game.
Same thing with me. I don't know what the problem is.

Core407

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
wtf my game wont finish fucking loading from the start up sequence

ARGH!

Mine continually loops when loading a save now. Happened the first time, had to reset the PS3 and it auto shut off. Next time it loaded but froze during gameplay and now it's looping again. :( I swear, it better be the disc and not my 20GB PS3. My warranty is over and I don't feel like paying to fix this shit.

Edit: Damnit, it just froze again. Seems to play for 5 min and lock up. :|

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Core407 said:
Mine continually loops when loading a save now. Happened the first time, had to reset the PS3 and it auto shut off. Next time it loaded but froze during gameplay and now it's looping again. :( I swear, it better be the disc and not my 20GB PS3. My warranty is over and I don't feel like paying to fix this shit.

See mine didn't freeze its just stuck at a continuous loop of loading. I know its not my ps3 cuz it works with all my other games.. I have a 60GB, fucking R*

guise

Is it possible to get the driving mr.bellic achievement after Roman's Sorrow? I keep taking the bastard out and getting thumbs up but cant seem to unlock it

_RT_

I've asked like 50 pages ago.
I'm trying to link my ps3 ID with the Rockstar Social Club website.

I have my Rockstar Social account. No problem.
I have my ps3 account. No problem.
I click on "Link Playstation ID" on Rockstar's website.
It asks for my e-mail and password.

I enter it.

WRONG.

WTF.

_RT_

g35twinturbo said:
See mine didn't freeze its just stuck at a continuous loop of loading. I know its not my ps3 cuz it works with all my other games.. I have a 60GB, fucking R*

Have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread?
I had problems on day one and since then everything has been golden.

*Edit* Sorry for the two consecutive posts.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Two things:

1.) Wow. The vigilante missions are actually fun this time.
2.) Is the car damage in this game procedural? Some of the best damage models I've seen in a game like this.

g35twinturbo said:

Mine did the same. It was loading from a save that I had made myself seconds after it had autosaved after a mission. The save I made would not load, thank god for that autosave! Rockstar needs to patch this shit up, they have had ample time to work on this game...

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
_RT_ said:
Have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread?
I had problems on day one and since then everything has been golden.

*Edit* Sorry for the two consecutive posts.

I'm trying to find some but thread is pretty big, I just deleted the GTA install data so its reinstalling now.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Topher said:
Two things:

1.) Wow. The vigilante missions are actually fun this time.
2.) Is the car damage in this game procedural? Some of the best damage models I've seen in a game like this.

Mine did the same. It was loading from a save that I had made myself seconds after it had autosaved after a mission. The save I made would not load, thank god for that autosave! Rockstar needs to patch this shit up, they have had ample time to work on this game...

did you delete the save you made?

edit: actually I see what you mean, there is 2 save files for the mission I passed or am on. I deleted the newer one, there like 3 mins apart.

edit: yay it worked

edit: then it fucking freezes within 5 mins of playing :(

I just finished the game. The ending is very powerful.
My take on the ending below.
The ending is very abrupt, but it is like that in order for the message that Rockstar North is trying to portray. At the end after he has finally killed Pegorino, Niko realizes what he has become. While Roman is trying to celebrate that it is all over and that Niko won, Niko poses the question of "What have I won?". The camera pans out and shows the Statue of Happiness. Roll end credits. Niko realized that he won the American dream, but at the cost of what? His soul? His love? It is incredibly moving ending. It is so simple, yet so powerful.

WOW!

zig

TheGreatDave said:

If you don't like driving to the mission checkpoints, get a cab and skip the ride. That's what I'm doing on my second playthrough of the story, saves oodles of time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You guys should shoot me an invited to some GAF games.
GT: Jtwo

Playing with randos = fail.

pj

Banned
when did I meet francis mcreary?
the first thing I remember of him is getting a call saying to meet him at the pier. I show up, and niko knows who he is. when did they meet before?

pj325is said:
when did I meet francis mcreary?
the first thing I remember of him is getting a call saying to meet him at the pier. I show up, and niko knows who he is. when did they meet before?

he was with Manny in one of his videos

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the problem with the car handling is not that the cars can't corner at high speeds (which they can't), but that the camera lags behind the turn a bit so it feels almost like you are not turning at all unless you are going really slow. I've learned to manually adjust the camera and it works quite nicely.

Still, I don't feel really great behind the wheel yet. And the half-hold for free aim is really bizarre.

Just finished Three Leaf Clover, all I can advise is:

- Have body armor (duh.)
- Carry plenty of grenades. Easy way to clear the opposition.
- Remember that you can blow up cars quickly by shooting at the fuel tank. Once again, easy way to clear people out.
- Go for the head. Lock, pull back slightly, and shoot.
- Stay with Packie, don't rush ahead until they say it's time to move up.
- Watch your back as you duck into the first alley, it's likey that some cops will come up behind you.
- Pray you don't die so you don't have to do that fucking drive all over again!

Monocle

Hell yes! Story missions beaten, Liberty City Minute achievement earned, in exactly 21:28:43 game time!

If anyone's curious about the time saving measures I used (not the whole way through, just from the mission Smackdown onward) I loaded my autosave after completing each mission in order to skip the trip back to my hideout, where I saved manually. Also, I noticed that cutscenes count toward game time, so for each mission I watched the opening scene normally then reloaded my save and skipped it. Of course, taxis helped a lot by virtually eliminating my travel time. The car service you can unlock by
raising Roman's like stat high--I don't know the exact percentage but I think it's around 65%--
was also invaluable.

I played much longer than my low game time suggests, so I don't feel that I missed out on anything by going for Liberty City Minute on my first playthrough. In fact, now that I've met that challenge I feel that I can explore the city with no pressure. GTAIV has exceeded all my expectations. It is absolutely one of the best games ever made--certainly the best of the GTA series by a smog-choked city mile. The story is masterfully written and acted. It engaged me the whole way through. I look forward to experiencing it a second time to see what the consequences would have been if I'd made different choices.

Lebron

g35twinturbo said:
did you delete the save you made?

edit: actually I see what you mean, there is 2 save files for the mission I passed or am on. I deleted the newer one, there like 3 mins apart.

edit: yay it worked

edit: then it fucking freezes within 5 mins of playing :(
try disabling your internet connection option for your PS3. That solved the problem for me, at least for the time being.

ElyrionX

Ok, speaking of perks.

Which ones are the most useful in the game and why?

The only good one I've encountered thus far is Little Jacob.
Cheap weapons FTW!

And can someone please give me more details on Brucie's perk?
Can you jack the chopper? How does it work? You just get a chopper ride to anywhere you want to go?

Okay, I'm at the mission where I'm supposed to go on the job interview but the icon for where I go doesn't appear to be on the map. Am I missing something here?

Costanza

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Okay, I'm at the mission where I'm supposed to go on the job interview but the icon for where I go doesn't appear to be on the map. Am I missing something here?
Are you at the day of the interview yet? I'm pretty sure they tell you about it a couple of in game days before and you can't do anything. Otherwise check the bottom of the middle island and the icon (says Lawyer) is kind of hidden by a Perseus.

East Lake

Stoney Mason said:
I think it shows up a bit before the interviews scheduled time, which should be in the organizer section of your phone. Not 100% sure though.

Costanza said:
Are you at the day of the interview yet? I'm pretty sure they tell you about it a couple of in game days before and you can't do anything. Otherwise check the bottom of the middle island and the icon (says Lawyer) is kind of hidden by a Perseus.

Yeah. It's the day and I got the little warning beeper. But everytime I check the map, I don't see it anywhere on it. It normally places the icon as soon as that little beeper goes off but I don't see it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be blocked by Perseus either :(

ElyrionX

Alright, since I keep asking and no one ever responds, I risked the GameFAQs boards for this:

List of friends and their perks. There's really no spoiler in there but I'm just spoiler-tagging in case people don't want to know who can become your friend:

Brucie
-Likes: Bowling, drinking, eating, strip clubs, shows, helirides, boating
Special ability: Unlocked at 70%. Call Brucie and he will fly his chopper to you, allowing you to fast travel to various portions of the city.

Dwayne
Special ability: Unlocked at 60%. Call Dwayne for a car full of gang members that will follow you.

Packie
Special ability: Unlocked at 75%. Call Packie and he will make you a car bomb.

Little Jacob
Special ability: Unlocked at 60%. Call Little Jacob and he will drive out a car full of guns for you to buy. They're discounted from the store prices too.

Roman
-Likes: Bowling, darts, drinking, eating, pool, shows, strip club
Special ability: Unlocked at 60%. Call Roman and he will send a cab for no charge.

LawChick: GF
-Occasionally if you call her she will get rid of your wanted level.

SoboHoe: GF
-Will give you a health boost if you need it badly.

And here's a list with some different details:

Friends
Roman: Unlocked at 60%
Roman's Taxi (Call him and get a free taxi)
|Not Required for 100% completion|

Little Jacob: Unlocked at 60%
Gun Car (Call him to set up a meeting with half price guns)

Brucie: Unlocked at 70%
Heli Pickup (Call him to receive a heli ride)

Packie: Unlocked at 75%
Car Bombs (Call him to get a bomb for you car)

Dwayne: Unlocked at 60%
Backup (Call him to receive a car full of gang members that will follow you)
|Not Required for 100% completion|

Girlfreinds
Carmen: TAG (SoBoHoe)
Unlocked at 60%
Health Boost (Call her anytime to give you a health boost)

Kiki: TAG (LawChick)
Unlocked at 60%
Remove Wanted Level (Call her to remove your wanted level by 3 stars)

Alex: Unlocked at 60%
50% Discount (Offer 50% discount on all clothes...but only for 24 hours game time after unlocked)

The other two Girlfreinds Kate and Michelle don't offer any perks.

East Lake

Stoney Mason said:
Yeah. It's the day and I got the little warning beeper. But everytime I check the map, I don't see it anywhere on it. It normally places the icon as soon as that little beeper goes off but I don't see it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be blocked by Perseus either :(
Hmm, well just try driving down to the bottom street on Algonquin, maybe it'll show up then. The icon looks like a little tie. I think it's one street to the left of Perseus when looking on the map.

Antimatter said:
I think it shows up a bit before the interviews scheduled time, which should be in the organizer section of your phone. Not 100% sure though.

I think I've run into a bug. This happened one time before where I was trying to go out on a date and had to reboot for it to work and put up the icon. I've already tried rebooting on this one and I'll try it again but it seems I may be SOL :(

Is it just me or does the melee suck in this game. How many of these have they made and the fighting still sucks.

I am also confused, after each mission it auto saves, do you still need to go to the safehouse after a mission or can you just back out of the game.

Oozer3993

Shockgamer said:
Just finished Three Leaf Clover, all I can advise is:

- Have body armor (duh.)
- Carry plenty of grenades. Easy way to clear the opposition.
- Remember that you can blow up cars quickly by shooting at the fuel tank. Once again, easy way to clear people out.
- Go for the head. Lock, pull back slightly, and shoot.
- Stay with Packie, don't rush ahead until they say it's time to move up.
- Watch your back as you duck into the first alley, it's likey that some cops will come up behind you.
- Pray you don't die so you don't have to do that fucking drive all over again!

I highly suggest following those guidelines. Here's some tips of my own for the mission:

- For the car chase at the end, grab whatever 4 door is near you after the subway. Gun it until you get some distance between you and the cops. Don't worry about trying to get back to Packie's, just flee the cops. Once you get a little distance (the sirens start to fade), find a parked four door sedan, and ditch your current car for that. Make sure you get the cops to stop and get out of their cars before you get into the new one. Then gun it out of the wanted area. The cops should hopefully be left in the dust because they have to get back in their cars and probably turn around. Then head to Packie's place.

Topher said:
Where did I meet Packie?

The second mission (I think) for Elizabeta. He was at the cocaine-fueled party at her apartment. You had to help him for that mission I believe.

X26

Banned
MAJOR END-GAME SPOILERS! Even if youv'e beat it, highlight the first sentence first!

This is based on picking DEAL over REVENGE

So I beat it earlier, and damn Roman dying really really sucked. Last mission was alright, from car chase -> shoot out -> boat chase -> heli chase -> on foot chase. Lame that there wasn't a checkpoint after each section, and what the hell with all the FBI at the end when you're bound to have little health left. Took me like 10-15 tries overall to beat it, kept failing due to the awkward heli controls and if not that the FBI gunning me down.

Overall loved the game. Plenty of issues and problems, but it had great gameplay and narrative. Problem now is that I kinda feel depressed playing now at the end and doing whatever I want without roman :(. No one's beat it twice I imagine, but for someone reading this who already knows: does roman die no matter what?

i don't know if this has been discussed but for those who have a 1080p tv. RUN THE GAME IN 1080P!! for the first 20 missions the game was booting up in 720p and the jaggies/blurryness were killing my enjoyment, and i'm not usually a graphic's whore at all. so i finally decided to test out 1080p and it was night and day. i just unchecked everything but 1080p on my ps3 and the game looks amazing. i am extremely impressed with the way the game looks on my tv.

also, can anyone tell me how far along into the storyline am i , i just passed the
job interview
mission.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Shit...I can't get on multiplayer anymore!

I tried multiplayer for the first time yesterday and played for about 6 hours straight. Then today when I got home I was playing for about 2-3 hours with a friend, then he calls me on cell phone to say his BT headset is all charged up (he bought it today) so he is going to log out to set it up.

So I decided to setup a bluetooth device as well. Worked great but not as nice as my wired USB headset/mic.

Here is the "shit" part

After I did this, I can't get on multiplayer anymore. Singleplayer works fine but as soon as I connect to PSN and the phone goes back to where you sellect Games, Invites etc...the game locks up (sound still works) completely.

Have rebooted 5-6 times, tried removing all USB items, all accessories have been deleted, etc

Still locks up on me.

Funny thing is I called my friend to say I was not coming back on, and he said his system had locked up 1-2 times at the same part.

Anyone here of this happening? Was the BT device just a coincidence? It was only change in last 2 days.

Top Bottom