• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Treo360 said:
I think they are scripted for the most part. I kept seeing the same vehicles show up at the same spots doing the same thing in the last mission, same goes for a couple of others. GTA does an okay job in masking the fact that they are scripted.

yea but after a little bit its not scripted anymore and it becomes fun.

Um, strange thing happened just now in the world of GTA IV.

Know how when you exit a building it'll often spawn the last vehicle you used? You do? Well, here's a boat.

2459813321_0066d4a3a7.jpg

2459813331_0534205bc4.jpg

I was about to post only those, then decided to try to drive it. Doesn't work. Who'd'a thunk?
2459813373_59463ff779.jpg

Anyway, I decided to kill it.
2459813383_67d0b2f6d2.jpg

2459813355_b7b27d4bb5.jpg

Don't know why my white balance went all crazy after the first two. Sorry for the overall quality, anyway... had no other options to get a screenshot.

Sorry if this sort of thing is old news.
(Edit: The reason I took so many shots and then blew it up is to make sure it doesn't look like a shop).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Should have been like the past GTAs where you could kill the person while their driving to whatever point their going too. The enemy being invincible up until a certain point is total cheese.

dfyb

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Should have been like the past GTAs where you could kill the person while their driving to whatever point their going too. The enemy being invincible up until a certain point is total cheese.
some you can. some you can't. it's annoying, yeah.

Sean

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
so these car chases aren't so bad, unless they're scripted. Then it blows ass.

I hate hate HATE the fact that some chase missions are scripted. I unloaded like 500 bullets into a dude and he doesn't go down until after a certain scene takes place. Fucking annoying as hell.

Scripted stuff like that is stupid and has no place in a sandbox game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Sean said:
I hate hate HATE the fact that some chase missions are scripted. I unloaded like 500 bullets into a dude and he doesn't go down until after a certain scene takes place. Fucking annoying as hell.

Scripted stuff like that is stupid and has no place in a sandbox game.
Yea, hated those, giving you the illusion of being able to kill someone when they won't you to go to X and kill the target (usually plus some goons).

dejay

Banned
I spent a good 15 minutes last night searching the first island for clothes stores I could enter
only to find that there's only the one store.
I wish looking up clothing stores on the net would place the stores on your map.

The Chef said:
that was close - i had to unplug my ps3 and restart it and it finally loaded my game

wtf was that about

Save game pop-up?

Zeke

just had two back to back freezes had to use a hard reset twice. After hours upon hours into the game it starts screwing with me. I just did
the bank job
and bam freeze. Thank god it auto saved. Gonna keep my ps3 off for a bit then try again.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
dralla said:
My god "undressed to kill" is hard. and what the fuck is with no mid-mission checkpoints
I truly believe the mission 2 before that one was MUCH harder. Took me 6 times.
the one where you have to go retrieve the coke.

Leonsito

I was doing some side-missions with the police car:
How many most wanted missions are? I did the 10 that appear on the cars and I don't have still the achievment, I only have the first island unlocked, are there more most wanted missions?

JCtheMC

Are there any 100% completion guides up yet? I'm stuck on a
car theft mission for stevie
not that it matters, as i'm starting a fresh game next time i'm playing.

Grayman

So I am on snowstorm for the billionth time and I have no idea how to shake these 3 stars. The police search zone is massive and new cops spawn on every block. I am inside playboy's apartment pissing my clean change of clothes.

t4ng0

Grayman said:
So I am on snowstorm for the billionth time and I have no idea how to shake these 3 stars. The police search zone is massive and new cops spawn on every block. I am inside playboy's apartment pissing my clean change of clothes.
either park a nice ass sports car(Gotti I think) outside, or run through the break in the fence and climb down to the boat thats conveniently waiting there for you(only appears after the cops come)

Grayman

t4ng0 said:
either park a nice ass sports car(Gotti I think) outside, or run through the break in the fence and climb down to the boat thats conveniently waiting there for you(only appears after the cops come)
There was no b
oat the time I had that bright idea. I drove to a dock abit further away

I'm not looking for any solution that involves load my game and try again. I'm going to hop on rooftops then snap a sixaxis.

Ikuu

For Snowstorm
, you could try phoning Roman for a cab, and get it to take you miles away, when you get there you might be able to lose the stars right away. Personally I just drove around for a little, wasn't that hard to lose three stars.

Oh god, this isn't right. It's unfair. I shouldn't have to do this! :'( Why can't
Elizabeta
make it simple!?

There's a big red X and D on my map...I don't know what to doooo....

tha_con

Banned
voltron said:
:lol

A bit of a stretch there.... I can appreciate that you cant track the thread - but to not have time to notice on screen instructions when playing a game?

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Not really. The first time you hail a cab the messages pop up in sequence. I wasn't paying attention because I was in the middle of some lectures (I take online college courses) so I simply missed the pop up.

Costanza

Banned
hostile negotiations spoiler

What exactly happens if you let Roman die? When I failed last night it just let me keep playing with no replay option. I loaded up my previous save to beat it after that cause I figured it'd screw up the story too much otherwise.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Bought it. First of all there was no 1 month included and had to buy a 1 month card for now. Well....

1) The graphics are a mixed bag, but they don't wow me in the least bit. And I played it on a HDTV.

2) Love the freedom.
3) Getting addicted to the game but not yet my cup of tea. I WANT MORE. I am nearly two hours in the game and did the first mission for Vlad. What can I expect in the next.... hmm... 2 hours of playing strictly through story missions.
4) Where can I pick sidequests? or do they open later?
5) Haven't tried online yet but using the cellphone sounds a bit cumbersome.

Atomspike

Grayman said:
Pay n spray
worked for me.

Grayman said:
There was no b
oat the time I had that bright idea. I drove to a dock abit further away

I'm not looking for any solution that involves load my game and try again. I'm going to hop on rooftops then snap a sixaxis.

Here was my strat for "The Snow Storm" and I beat it in 1 try:

Go to the fence with a sniper rifle and pick off the outside guys and and the guys in the windows. After that, go to the left side of the building (as if you were looking at it from the water) and you will find a latter. Climb up the latter and kill all of the goons and most wont get a shot off. Clean out the rest of the building, but DO NOT GRAB THE COKE YET.

Go outside and go to the dock, and I SWEAR a motor boat will spawn there so just trust me. Set a waypoint so you know where it is.

Finally, grab the coke and the omfgholyshit invasion of NOOSE begins. Equip the shotty and run through the hospital to the back entrance (near the back of the hospital where when you come out the first thing you see is the water). Now here is the 'lucky' part: just RUN to the waypoint. Dont kill the agents, just RUN. Run to the waypoint and jump in the boat.

The boat will outrun the police boats so just hold down the trigger. You will get out the circle if you just go straight, albeit you have to avoid some boats outside the circle to stay out of sight.

It is a hard mission but plan out what you are going to do and memorize the path, good luck.

JCtheMC

jordan0386 said:
Three Leaf Clover. My goodness.

Hearing the sound of the M4 reverbing in the street for the first time was so fucking amazing. The sound of that thing firing is beyond awesome.

Ikuu

I'd just take your time getting out in Snowstorm, Shotgun Police will take you down faast if you aren't careful. Make sure you go in with an AK with max ammo, it drops people in like 2-3 shots with Auto-Aim.

Brannon

Fuck me, a pedo site? And four stars? WHAT?

I don't want to leave the internet now, so now I'm surfing myroomonline.net. Man this just gets deeper and deeper...

HugBasket

Banned
Himuro said:
lmao

Roman's cab driver employee is fucking awesome.

The convo we just had went something like this:

Cabbie: A yellow cab is just an opportunity to get stolen. A job like, it pays well. At least, not when I'm driving cheapskates like you who drive for free because they are Roman's cousin!
Niko: I sense hostility from you.
Cabbie: Look I have six kids. I have to put food on the table. You want me fired or something? Just because someone doesn't worship the ground you walk on?
Niko: I don't want you fired. You have six kids!
Cabbie: My wife and I don't actually have any kids, but considering the amount of pussy I get on the regular, I'm pretty sure I have 6 kids out there!
Niko: Whatever you say lover man!

:lol

He always talks about his wild yet absolutely random sex escapades with the females who ride in his cab, and how much he HATES how Niko gets a ride for free. And when he comments on the stations you listen to...:lol
"you know how many woman have ridden these handlebars, baby?"

i also like that when he drops you off he always comments on how you smell like shit

Looks like I did Playboy X in the end. I drove right up to Dwayne's place but U-turned at the last second and went straight for the penthouse. Luckily his reaction to my decision made the whole thing as guilt free as possible. :lol

watership

Holy shit! Just watching the ingame tv while I answered the phone and I stumbled upon
Republican Space Rangers!
. :lol Rockstar, I love you guys.

pj

Banned
for snow storm, I
shot the pilot out of the helicopter while it was low, it fell to the ground intact, so I flew a ways away, landed, got in a car and went to pay 'n spray

indie85

Banned
Blood brothers:
The decision to kill playboy or dwayne was easy, playboy bit the dust but between these two? Was a damn hard choice but I decided to take out Derrick, only because I thought the last mission was harsh to kill the prisoner guy like that

Tokubetsu

Am I the only one having problems joining ranked deathmatch and tdm games? It just makes me the host and no one ever joins my game.

Top Bottom