• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

WrikaWrek

Banned
Scotch said:
Okay I'm stuck on what I think is the final mission:

I didn't kill Dimitri when you get to choose, so this may not be the final mission for everyone. Anyway, the part where you chase Dimitri in the helicopter by boat, and you have to get under the Rasta dude's helicopter. Only, no matter how hard I try I can't get under the helicopter before it flies off. Wth?

Just pedal to the metal, i did it fine. What comes after is harder though.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I dont know if this has been mentioned, but on the CE of GTA4 the bag has loads of roman numerals, which end up being 1998 if I am not mistaken, anyone know what that means?

I am guessing its when R* was founded, and if it is which I am pretty sure of thats pretty cool :p

Teknoman

UncleGuito said:
Just got my GTA4 courtesy pack from Rockstar :D

IMG_0143.jpg

BURGER SHOT!

Damn I wish I was part of the media.

dejay

Banned
psycho_snake said:
How long has it taken you to get used to the layout of the map?

I've played it for about 4 hours and I know very little of the map. From my apartment, I can get to romans, michelle's and the carnival, but thats it. Tell me to go to those places at a different point on the map and I wouldnt have a clue.

Turn off the GPS thing entirely is my suggestion. I started to learn layout a lot quicker after doing that. Sure, you have to refer to the map from time to time, but you start to develop routes based on landmarks, just like you do in real life. Otherwise you're just looking at the GPS and not learning the landmarks.

WrikaWrek

Banned
dralla said:
My god "undressed to kill" is hard. and what the fuck is with no mid-mission checkpoints

I don't remember that mission.

Is it the
heist one
? Found it pretty easy going. It is intense though.

G-Bus

Banned
Himuro said:
I can't believe Stumpokapow is so stupid. My God. I haven't even MET them yet.

I'm pretty choked about that too. I've met playboy but I got no idea about the other guy, let a lone the decicsion I have to make. Lame :(

WrikaWrek said:
I don't remember that mission.

Is it the
heist one
? Found it pretty easy going. It is intense though.

Undressed to Kill is the mission where you go shoot up
the strip club for Dwayne

Anyways, I just finished the mission where Roman
gets kidnapped by Dimitri's guys and you have to go raid the warehouse and save him.
I love this game so much.

I want to see a gay mobster in the next GTA. Something like Ronald Kray. Every time you visit him he's got some boyfriend, but then he's also a regular fucking badass.

WrikaWrek

Banned
EnjoyIncubus said:
Undressed to Kill is the mission where you go shoot up
the strip club for Dwayne

oooh. Yeah, that mission is hard. I almost died, i was like one hit away, and i was fully equiped, like, ready to go to war.

It's all about where you start. Kill the 1st dude at your left when you enter, nobody will even react, then just start killing.

But yeah, tough one.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there no way to use standard driving controls and classic on foot controls? Classic shooting on the 360 pad is RETARDED.

WrikaWrek said:
oooh. Yeah, that mission is hard. I almost died, i was like one hit away, and i was fully equiped, like, ready to go to war.

It's all about where you start. Kill the 1st dude at your left when you enter, nobody will even react, then just start killing.

But yeah, tough one.

Yeah, that's how I went about doing it. As soon as you kill the first manager, a couple of bouncers will come through the door and you can just unload on them for a few easy kills.

WrikaWrek

Banned
andrewfee said:
There's a wooden ramp on the beach – jump from it and you'll grab on.
That's the point for me where the game crashes every single time.

Word? I didn't even knew there was a ramp there. I just caught up with it. heh, i guess i'm all about speed baby.

Awww, I think I am screwed can someone help?

I just finished
Blow Your Cover
and I got a call from Elizabeta saying thanks or what ever but now no icon pops up for me to go next. I have called her and Manny but they just go straight to message.

I know I am supposed to do
The Puerto Rican Connection
but I never get the call.

Any ideas, these are missions about 1/3 of the way through, no real spoilers just wanted to cover the names for the spoiler haters.

Teknoman

lol I pulled a Homer Simpson in Car Jack City mode today. I was on the side of the freeway, and the car was below me. I decided to get out and try to take a short cut before everyone else got there.

Tiptoed off the bridge, and fell directly on top of a bar...right between my characters legs :lol . He then slumped off sideways and fell on his back.

Luckly I got to the car right before 3 other players came barreling off the freeway in a rain of cars.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Saren is Bad said:

I just finished
Blow Your Cover
and I got a call from Elizabeta saying thanks or what ever but now no icon pops up for me to go next. I have called her and Manny but they just go straight to message.

Any ideas, these are missions about 1/3 of the way through, no real spoilers just wanted to cover the names for the spoiler haters.

I think you have to wait. Do the PX or the M thing. You should get a message from PX talking about jobs.

Saren is Bad said:

I just finished
Blow Your Cover

Are there any other missions available to you? Sometimes you need to complete other contact's mission chains before you can continue on with others. If not, just hang out for a while and you should get a call I guess.

How hard is it to get Liberty City Minute? (Complete the story missions in less than 30 hours.) Would I need to rush in-order to get that, or will most people get this without trying?

Teknoman said:
PS3 users: Has the social club worked right for you yet? I've still got no zitted music and like 0 stats on the marathon.
Marathon stats work fine for me (seemingly), but I haven't tried any ZiTS yet.

t4ng0

I'll tell ya whats fucking ridiculous:
Packie and his dumbass brothers fucking running out in the open on this Waste not, Want Knots mission - one of those fucking bitches dies every single goddamn time

WrikaWrek

Banned
andrewfee said:
Warning: ending discussion.

Perhaps it's slightly different because
I killed Dimitri rather than doing the deal. The helicopter just doesn't load in for me, so I've no idea where it is to try and catch up to it.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2hcn7z8.jpg

It's weird, because I can go to the helipad and see other helicopters no problem. Even if it's a gunship, they load in fine when I've got a high wanted rating.

That's weird. That's a crazy bug.

I went for the green. Heck in my case i don't even remember seeing the action from that viewpoint, i don't think the camera ever switched to that pov.

It went all smooth to me, smokin angels came down from the sky and told me "tap this shit, you will fly", so you know, damn, sucks that it's glitchin for you.

Lakitu

st5fu
Im really drunk, and I tried to play some GTA IV. I went to a bar with Brucie in the game and got drunk, and tried to drive back. So I was drunk in real life and drunk within the game. I felt like throwing up.

You guys need to stop fretting over the spoilers. I've read every one of em, and honestly, none of them are that big. Of course it seems like something important, but I *gaurantee* not a single one of them isn't something you won't have seen coming. If anything, knowing what's coming makes some of the dynamics alot more interesting.

t4ng0

Son of Godzilla said:
You guys need to stop fretting over the spoilers. I've read every one of em, and honestly, none of them are that big. Of course it seems like something important, but I *gaurantee* not a single one of them isn't something you won't have seen coming. If anything, knowing what's coming makes some of the dynamics alot more interesting.
wrong:
Manny's death was so much sweeter because I didn't hear about it beforehand. Even though I wanted to be the one who killed him:D

t4ng0 said:
wrong:
Manny's death was so much sweeter because I didn't hear about it beforehand. Even though I wanted to be the one who killed him:D
Oh, sure enough. But that's the one thing that hasn't been explicitly ruined thus far. I mean, there's still stuff discussing it, but no heinously bad spoilers. It is still incredibly obvious what's going to happen though, so point still stands.

BTW, don't fucking highlight the above till a bit past Snowstorm.

EnjoyIncubus said:
Are there any other missions available to you? Sometimes you need to complete other contact's mission chains before you can continue on with others. If not, just hang out for a while and you should get a call I guess.

I just killed
PBX
now only some Brucie missions "Coming out of the Closet" and no call yet...

Majmun

I really do love Liberty City. But I think I like the San Andreas map more.

I sure do miss the countrysides with the lakes, trees and mountains.

Saren is Bad said:
I just killed
PBX

You need to go check your e-mail and see if the guy has responded to your date request. Once you finish off a few more Brucie missions, the others will become available to you.

Saren is Bad said:
I just killed
PBX
Wow, if you've done all of X's and haven't gotten Manny's last mission... I don't know what to say. I have heard that doing all of Brucie is neccessary to move on, can't imagine why though.

WrikaWrek

Banned
EnjoyIncubus said:
You need to go check your e-mail and see if the guy has responded to your date request. Once you finish off a few more Brucie missions, the others will become available to you.

Yeah that may be it. You gotta check the email.

Scotch

WrikaWrek said:
Just pedal to the metal, i did it fine. What comes after is harder though.
Thanks, I finally got it right after I posted here.

So yeah, just finished the main story line. Those credits must have been rolling for 20 minutes. It took me 31 hours total. But man, what an amazing game. I've been playing all day and after this post I'm gonna play some more. :D Dunno if I would give it a 10 (especially not on a 100 point scale like IGN), but it's pretty close.

Teknoman said:
PS3 users: Has the social club worked right for you yet? I've still got no zitted music and like 0 stats on the marathon.

I'm on 360 and my zits don't seem to be showing up in the social club either. I've zitted at least half a dozen songs over the past couple of days and nothing.

Socreges

Banned
PLEASE ANSWER K THX

so, re: perks:

if you complete all the missions for any particular person, you get a perk? e.g. if i keep playing little jacob's missions, i'll get something? more importantly, does that person ever disappear? like if i do half the missions for little jacob, but then go on and advance in the game in other ways, will i always be able to return to him?

Socreges said:
PLEASE ANSWER K THX

so, re: perks:

if you complete all the missions for any particular person, you get a perk? e.g. if i keep playing little jacob's missions, i'll get something? more importantly, does that person ever disappear? like if i do half the missions for little jacob, but then go on and advance in the game in other ways, will i always be able to return to him?
No, perks unlock after you've done the main missions for someone. You are then able to do bowling/boating/drinking stuff with said person, which raises respect/like levels. If Like is above 75% they will call you up and give you perk. If Like drops below 75, which it can due to denying a persons attempts to hang out, you'll lose perk.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sylar said:
what the fuck @ the ubove spoiler, you fucking asshole I hope you die in a fire with P-Hug and Conseco.
:lol

Okay so I really like it so far. I have a ton of little complaints though...but overall it's just so nice.

Still think Niko controls and drives like a boat.

Where can I get a helicopter? I checked the airport, the three helipads were empty.

What's the consensus on auto-aim? It seems like a pain in the ass.

EnjoyIncubus said:

THANK YOU! I got it now, thanks guys.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I think I just had the slowest Boat Chase in history!

Playing online in the Deal Breaker mode, a group of us cleared the construction site ok, then split up for the guys who legged it, I had the boat people, so I went for....the old Fishing boat (I think it was a fishing boat), and proceeded to have a 5 minute "chase" where we couldn't have went at more than walking pace, funny stuff.

WrikaWrek

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
so these car chases aren't so bad, unless they're scripted. Then it blows ass.

I thought the bad boys 2 cars rolling in the highway while you dodge em with miss purple by your side....driving the ferrari, was one of the most awesome car chases i've seen in a game.

Treo360

funkmastergeneral said:
so these car chases aren't so bad, unless they're scripted. Then it blows ass.

I think they are scripted for the most part. I kept seeing the same vehicles show up at the same spots doing the same thing in the last mission, same goes for a couple of others. GTA does an okay job in masking the fact that they are scripted.

Top Bottom