• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

SolidSquirrel said:
The McReary brothers missions are pissing me off. There's that one where you have to go to the apartment complex and somehow escape even though the cops are after you, the only way out is to kill them, and if you somehow manage to get out you have a 4-star wanted level and you're driving a dump truck.

Right now I'm nearly out of health on Waste Not Want Knots and the enemies are infinitely spawning. WTF.
On Waste Not you want to run out the opposite end of the building you came in. Enemies spawn the side you went in from.

On that other one you can simply run across the roof, clear out some bad guys, and take a window cleaning elevator down.

Meier

In terms of difficulty, this seems like the hardest GTA game to me. I don't mind buying armor, but does anyone know of a spot on the map that I can pick one up for free?

Also, how do you buy more safehouses? I saw the ads on Craplist but it never amounted to anything..

Zep

Banned
dammit. Had carmen @ 100% and had her perk...then I go and accidentally hit her and was down to 35%. Didn't take any calls frome me and text me saying,"its over"

:-/

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Poor, poor Dwayne. :lol :lol :lol I hadn't talked to him in weeks of in-game time, and this happened:

*Niko's phone rings*
Niko: Hello?
Dwayne: Hey Niko. It's Dwayne. Did you just try calling me?
Niko: Umm... no?
Dwayne: Oh, because, I was in the shower and I thought I heard my phone ring... I thought it might be you tryin to call.
Niko: Nope, not me.
Dwayne: OK. Well, catch you later then.

:lol :lol :lol

M3wThr33

Banned
I'm finished for tonight. I got to the Loggin On and just did side stuff for a while. Finished Jacob and Bruce, did 8 fares for Roman.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Just managed to get Social Club working, the LCPD stats are hilarious

"Crime Up 1,547% Since Yesterday"

26 million Call Outs

20,000 arrests

:lol

Wollan

God dammit. Need help with 'Out of Commission'.

Probably given this 20+ retries now, and it takes a long time to reach the hard part. I can play the two first parts blind folded. Clearing out the old storage and follow along the beach with the bike. But how in the hell are you supposed to take down the boat with the chopper? If I go too high I get a heat seeking missile after me. If I tip the nose down too much I get dangerously close to the water. The machine cannons doesn't seem to do any favors for me and require ultra precise aim to even make a spark.
What did you folks do.

EDIT: I'm reading at another site that
you're actually supposed to get hit and you just need to continue moving forwards before chopper explode so you trigger a cutscene. I think Rockstar could have made better of this event, so much frustration.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Wollan said:
God dammit. Need help with 'Out of Commission'.

Probably given this 20+ retries now, and it takes a long time to reach the hard part. I can play the two first parts blind folded. Clearing out the old storage and follow along the beach with the bike. But how in the hell are you supposed to take down the boat with the chopper? If I go too high I get a heat seeking missile after me. If I tip the nose down too much I get dangerously close to the water. The machine cannons doesn't seem to do any favors for me and require ultra precise aim to even make a spark.
What did you folks do.

EDIT: I'm reading at another site that
you're actually supposed to get hit and you just need to continue moving forwards before chopper explode so you trigger a cutscene. I think Rockstar could have made better of this event, so much frustration.

lol, i was piss too.
i was about 5 inches from hitting a building after the missle hit. cutscene saved me just in time lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
About dating Kate and her acting like un uptight bitch

Could it be that she doesn't want to go for warm coffee until some story event? I've gotten her to 100% like now and she still gives me the friend bullshit. Also she's fickle and I don't like her. She's only liked one outfit I wore and she acts like a real bitch when drunk

Lawchick ftw.

nelsonroyale said:
so realistic...the dancing and dialogue are horrible hahah... this is just from the first joint in Bohan, but they really got it down hahaha

The internet date with the purple hair seems to be working in the strip club. If you manage to get a lapdance from her, she and niko have some extra dialogue. She talks about giving her number but I don't know whether she gives it. I accidentally punched her at the end and had to reload an old save to remain on good terms with carmen.:lol

Kabouter said:
Yeah, nine of them.

So I have to go to a random payphone? I thought the police missions were vigilantly missions.

Gav

Uh Oh.

Do the guys fro the random mission come back?

I started talking to
Pathos
In Times Square. Had to then
kill the guys giving him grief

I never realised how far away they were, so i jumped back in my car and started driving. Then i only saw them across the road. So i jumped out my car when i was nearly there.
The car kept moving and drove straight into
Pathos

Does he come back? :lol

Wollan

Just finished the game.

So many thoughts.

GTA4 definitely defines 'next generation' (or current, whatever) experience. Similar to what GTA3 did last gen. From a X360 perspective this is already far into the generation but I believe what is the actual case is that the wind-up time was just far greater than last time (and I imagine the wind-down time to be greater as well, definitely when considering last gen still being very much alive). GTA4 is the kickstart this gen needed.

What we're playing right now with GTA4 might be the 'high point' of this console generation (even with all the time left). Sure, things can and will improve in heaps of ways still before the next consoles arrive but GTA4 very likely signifies the biggest leap.

GTA4 is a masterpiece.

More thoughts for those who finished it:
I thought the final-final ending was kinda weak. The loser mobster Jimmy, a traditional Italian gangster we are so tired of today, he was to be our final challenge? Pffft. It almost felt like a pre-GTA4 ending. The game should have ended when after we took out Dimitri at the Platypus (or depending on what your choice was). I liked that Niko reflected on what they have actually 'won' after he took down Jimmy but the scene wasn't nearly as emotional as I would hope. Despite that though, when everything prior to that was through-the-roof quality you can hardly feel short-changed for long.
The choice on the airport was pretty powerful stuff. I let him live, I didn't want Niko to 'loose his soul'. The Dimitri showdown on the Platypus was great stuff as well, pretty iconic with it ending where it started. Tied into the main theme of 'soviet connection' as well. Again, I think GTA4 is a absolute masterpiece.

voltron

Holy fuckn shit Ive seen Kat twice now and he had different material each time! Only seen Ricky the once though.

Anyone know how many different acts they have?

Dazzyman

Just uploaded my first ever camcorder and HD camcorder jobbie so if you dont like it I apologie as dunno wtf Im doing with it yet.

It contains obvious spoilers as its all the stunts on first map (as I aint done a mission yet just killed rats and done these). Its HD 720p compressed from 1080p from a 1080p TV source off 360 version so it will be slightly degraded. If you aint seen GTAIV Ive left a few moments in it as well to break it up abit inbetween a few stunts. Its 17mins long so get the popcorn out :lol

http://www.vimeo.com/970567

Oh and if anyone can tell me where to get flying rat 41 out of guide on first map please help as otherwise I will start doing missions then go off and blade it with a chopper later.

Wollan

voltron said:
Holy fuckn shit Ive seen Kat twice now and he had different material each time! Only seen Ricky the once though.

I've seen three different Ricky acts so far and Katt twice. Actually I've seen Katt thrice but it was a repeat (may have been due to me watching the previous without saving after, can't remember).

voltron

Wollan said:
I've seen three different Ricky acts so far and Katt twice. Actually I've seen Katt thrice but it was a repeat (may have been due to me watching the previous without saving after, can't remember).

oooh FUCKING rad.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dazzyman said:
Just uploaded my first ever camcorder and HD camcorder jobbie so if you dont like it I apologie as dunno wtf Im doing with it yet.

It contains obvious spoilers as its all the stunts on first map (as I aint done a mission yet just killed rats and done these). Its HD 720p compressed from 1080p from a 1080p TV source off 360 version so it will be slightly degraded. If you aint seen GTAIV Ive left a few moments in it as well to break it up abit inbetween a few stunts. Its 17mins long so get the popcorn out :lol

http://www.vimeo.com/970567

Oh and if anyone can tell me where to get flying rat 41 out of guide on first map please help as otherwise I will start doing missions then go off and blade it with a chopper later.
Wow! Well done man.

squicken

voltron said:

let me summarize his entire act for you: "lolz fat people". so boring.

amazing kleinman > ricky gervais

Shawsie64

Banned
brent.jpg

3 fucking ricky acts!!! :D

I've only seen one (i am still on the 1st island though)

Jel0man

Yeah so I beat the game yesterday, but now I'm wondering if I can still get 100% completion. The thing, my fondness with
Kate
is at 87%, or
was. Do I have to start all over now that she's dead?

voltron

squicken said:
let me summarize his entire act for you: "lolz fat people". so boring.

amazing kleinman > ricky gervais

Who - Ricky? Dude look at my avatar... dont be trying to school me on Ricky son:lol

But what are you saying... all 3 of his acts focus on the same material? The one I saw was grabbed straight out of his FAME DVD.

Wollan said:
Just finished the game.

So many thoughts.

GTA4 definitely defines 'next generation' (or current, whatever) experience. Similar to what GTA3 did last gen. From a X360 perspective this is already far into the generation but I believe what is the actual case is that the wind-up time was just far greater than last time (and I imagine the wind-down time to be greater as well, definitely when considering last gen still being very much alive). GTA4 is the kickstart this gen needed.

What we're playing right now with GTA4 might be the 'high point' of this console generation (even with all the time left). Sure, things can and will improve in heaps of ways still before the next consoles arrive but GTA4 very likely signifies the biggest leap.

GTA4 is a masterpiece.

More thoughts for those who finished it:
I thought the final-final ending was kinda weak. The loser mobster Jimmy, a traditional Italian gangster we are so tired of today, he was to be our final challenge? Pffft. It almost felt like a pre-GTA4 ending. The game should have ended when after we took out Dimitri at the Platypus (or depending on what your choice was). I liked that Niko reflected on what they have actually 'won' after he took down Jimmy but the scene wasn't nearly as emotional as I would hope. Despite that though, when everything prior to that was through-the-roof quality you can hardly feel short-changed for long.
The choice on the airport was pretty powerful stuff. I let him live, I didn't want Niko to 'loose his soul'. The Dimitri showdown on the Platypus was great stuff as well, pretty iconic with it ending where it started. Tied into the main theme of 'soviet connection' as well. Again, I think GTA4 is a absolute masterpiece.

I agree with this to some extent..but not entirely, so many aspects of the game feel very similar to last gen, just on a more sophisticated, aesthetically pleasing scale...the main changes for me are the narrative, which is definitely superior, and the visuals (plus level of immersion) which are, rather surprisingly, very good in this outing.

However, on the micro level, coming off crysis, some aspects of that game feel more impressive...obviously the visuals in that game are just insane, also, though the narrative, dialogue etc are superior in GTA by a big margin, the cutscene presentation in crysis and the its fusion with gameplay is much more impressive...the game is just incredibly cinematic. Only MGS4, perhaps, might surpass this in the next while. Also, the gameplay feels more free form than in GTA, perhaps because of the environment and because the AI and gunplay is superior. So yeah, Crysis and Uncharted have impressed me most this gen, this game might just come in third though., and thats pretty good, as GTA is a series Ive always followed, but its not exactly one of my faves. This is the best one though, no doubt

Dont get me wrong though, GTA IV is VERY impressive... though given my own preferences, the ff games will probably impress me much more in virtually all aspects

voltron

Raist said:
Still waiting for my copy to ship <.<

btw how is online play ? region locked or not ?

Im honestly at a loss as to why people keep asking this.... name me one game that has been multiplayer region locked in the 360's life?

It doesnt happen ffs

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I got past the bit where
you had the choice to kill vlad. I decided to shoot him, I didnt like him.

I like how they give you a choice of what to do.

painey

I hate how its so easy to miss or mess up phone calls, like by getting hit by a car while you talk on the phone. Ive missed several calls like this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
psycho_snake said:
I got past the bit where
you had the choice to kill vlad. I decided to shoot him, I didnt like him.

I like how they give you a choice of what to do.
Don't think that's really a choice, more an interactive cutscene.

psycho_snake

painey said:
I hate how its so easy to miss or mess up phone calls, like by getting hit by a car while you talk on the phone. Ive missed several calls like this.
Yeah I've missed a couple of phone calls because I press circle just as the phone starts to ring. Very annoying.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just out of curiosity, question about a sniper mission I did for Francis a while ago

I noticed from the start of the cutscene I needed to memorize the phone number so I could call him, but it passed too fast and I had to call Francis repeatedly so he could give up the number :( When you zoom in with the sniper you can't get a good view on the phone. Are there other ways to get him to the window, out of curiosity?

btw Francis is a royal douchebag, hated doing missions for that guy. I like his brother and his missions a lot better :)

McGreary family as a whole is pretty fucked up

psycho_snake

voltron said:
Dont think so.
well, even if you did get the choice I would
have killed him. The guy was a wanker

You do get to make your own choices in some missions, dont you? A few missions before you
kill vlad
, you have to do this mission for vlad where you
chase some guy into a construction site. In that mission dont you get the choice of killing that guy or not?

Wollan

Darunia, more specifics to that? Some similar missions, can't remember.
Also, the contact number should most likely appear temporarily under your contacts.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wollan said:
Darunia, more specifics to that? Some similar missions, can't remember.
Also, the contact number should most likely appear temporarily under your contacts.

It's the mission where you get on a rooftop and all you see is a tv and a telephone. Before that, there's a brief cutscene in which the camera zooms on a number on a telephone

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wollan said:
shoot the tv

ooh so that's the
less than subtle approach :lol I called the number and he stood up to pick up the phone, bang.

I love how there are multiple ways to do this

voltron

psycho_snake said:
well, even if you did get the choice I would
have killed him. The guy was a wanker

You do get to make your own choices in some missions, dont you? A few missions before you
kill vlad
, you have to do this mission for vlad where you
chase some guy into a construction site. In that mission dont you get the choice of killing that guy or not?

I cant actually remember that mission - but yes, there are missions in the game where you get the choice. I havent finished but one I remember:
Dwayne's ex-chick that was cheating on him when he was in prison... u got the choice to cap her or let her go and just chase after her sleazy boyfriend. I let her go

Sean

Banned
Wollan said:

Me too, that song is so catchy.

Darunia said:
Just out of curiosity, question about a sniper mission I did for Francis a while ago

I noticed from the start of the cutscene I needed to memorize the phone number so I could call him, but it passed too fast and I had to call Francis repeatedly so he could give up the number :( When you zoom in with the sniper you can't get a good view on the phone. Are there other ways to get him to the window, out of curiosity?

I missed it too.
You can either shoot his satellite dish or his TV instead. He gets up to investigate then you'll be able to get a clear shot on him.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Sean said:
I missed it too.
You can either shoot his satellite dish or his TV instead. He gets up to investigate then you'll be able to get a clear shot on him.

Oh wow so there are at least three ways of doing that mission now. This game rules

BeeDog

Alright, have a question regarding one character.
When you meet Francis MacReary, it sounds like Niko knows him from before.
But my stupid memory fails me; where did you meet him the first time?

Top Bottom