• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Az987

all good things
what do u do when u complete a guys missions but they never call u to hang out even though their supposed to ??

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I played my first REALLY awesome multiplayer matches today.

But.... WHERE THE HELL IS CAPTURE THE FLAG?

CTF all the way across the city would be soo, soooo epic.

Well, that was awesome.

So, I'm doing my first mission for
Mystery Paper Guy

It's the first one I'd legitimately consider Morally Ambiguous. So, I'm, you know, doing the thing, there's a chase. I decide on the way there that I'm not really in the mood for anything fun to listen to. I'm too conflicted. So I put on The Journey.

And it's PERFECT.

As I'm closing in on the end of the mission, that jernt from Koyannisquatsi (sp?) comes on. It's night, I'm barelling down the streets of Algonquin. This ominous and thunderous music is playing. Literally, the Robot Voice on the radio says "Who are you? Where are you going? You are on...The Journey."

It was seriously so fucking amazing.

sorry for the dumb question but I've been playing this game for at least 8 hours and I still totally suck at driving, specifically cornering. What's the trick? Different combos of accelerator and brake just send me into some kind of squirrelly skid.

Is there some obvious trick I'm missing besides not sucking?

dagZ

any help with the
Tunnel of Death mission, where you block off the block tunnel?

Lemming_JRS said:
sorry for the dumb question but I've been playing this game for at least 8 hours and I still totally suck at driving, specifically cornering. What's the trick? Different combos of accelerator and brake just send me into some kind of squirrelly skid.

Is there some obvious trick I'm missing besides not sucking?

if your on 360, use the left trigger to brake instead of the A button.

Three Leaf Clover
was epic and difficult.

Oh GTA series why won't you give me checkpoints.

I can see the argument that it's like a boss fight and you can't save during a boss fight but at least let me start from the start of the gunfight.

EDIT: wow the payout was epic.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
What is the major difference between
choosing whether to work with Rascalov or to kill him? I'm gonna take a wild guess that you end up killing him either way.

I recently picked up my copy of GTA but there was no free trial month of LIVE. I thought you get one with each purchase, has anyone else not received one as well.
This means I can't get to try out the multi yet.

As for the actual singleplayer game, It is absolutely superb. I just completed
Snow Storm
and that was the first time I had to retry a mission several times.

On a side note, in the stats menu it shows the girlfriends I have Michelle and Kiki, but I haven't met kiki and don't know where to find her, any ideas.

Oh no.... I think something is wrong with my 360. I'm noticing much more pop-in than ever before in the game, and I'm getting a lot of slowdown. When I connect my 360 to my LCD with component video cables, there's pop-in all over the place. I mean... it's really bad. And if I connect it through HDMI, it looks worse than before too. The aliasing is more prominent and there's a lot of framerate hitches. Why would there be any graphical difference between 720p over component video and 720p over HDMI anyway, let alone a difference in "performance"? Oh god. I was moving my 360 around earlier when I was removing the HDMI cable and replacing it with the Component video/optical audio cable, but I wasn't jolting it violently, I suspended it in the air, and it might have wobbled around a bit, but that shouldn't be enough to fuck up its GPU or CPU, right? RIGHT? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

Alphahawk

Eyemus Lutt said:
I recently picked up my copy of GTA but there was no free trial month of LIVE. I thought you get one with each purchase, has anyone else not received one as well.
This means I can't get to try out the multi yet.

It should be in there right before the liberty city guide book. It's not a traditional XBL trial card though so you might of missed it thinking it was just an ad or something...

Eyemus Lutt said:
On a side note, in the stats menu it shows the girlfriends I have Michelle and Kiki, but I haven't met kiki and don't know where to find her, any ideas.

Kiki is on a computer dating service if you've reached the part where you can use computers at the internet cafe.

Hootie

Yeah so uh, I just finished
Three Leaf Clover
and the only thing I can say is:

1204427602531.gif
1204427602531.gif

IT WAS AMAAAAAAAZING, I am in utter awe of the amount of win that that mission was made of. I miraculously beat it on my first try, which made it all the more awesome. I cannot fathom a mission that could be more cool than this. HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIT :lol :lol

And I also agree that the payout was astounding, I'm just swimming in money at this point :D

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Kate
is an annoying fucking bitch. She fucking bitches about her family, calls me a killer and taunts me to "kill her." She fucking bitches at me on the phone because I hadn't called her because I was doing missions. And she fucking whines and is like I'm sorry I'm sorry. The BIGGEST mistake in this game so far was having Michelle be undercover. I actually liked her character, and after sorta lending myself to her and her story to see where things went they just throw a complete curveball at you and are like... HAHA SEE? WE GOT YOU TO LIKE A CHARACTER. BUT TOOOO FUCKING BAD! NOW WERE GONNA FORCE YOU TO DATE SOMEONE INTOLERABLE. At 30 hours in this is the most disappointing thing in the game. Fuck Kate and her downey-ass family.

Jtwo said:
Kate
is an annoying fucking bitch. She fucking bitches about her family, calls me a killer and taunts me to "kill her." She fucking bitches at me on the phone because I hadn't called her because I was doing missions. And she fucking whines and is like I'm sorry I'm sorry. The BIGGEST mistake in this game so far was having Michelle be undercover. I actually liked her character, and after sorta lending myself to her and her story to see where things went they just throw a complete curveball at you and are like... HAHA SEE? WE GOT YOU TO LIKE A CHARACTER. BUT TOOOO FUCKING BAD! NOW WERE GONNA FORCE YOU TO DATE SOMEONE INTOLERABLE. At 30 hours in this is the most disappointing thing in the game. Fuck Kate and her downey-ass family.

I see it as a challenge.

I'm going to get her shouting how good a conversationalist I am if it's the last thing I do. I've stopped playing missions and basically got in a loop of going out with her, fucking around for a bit, picking up a car for Brucie, sleeping, then calling her again.

She never likes my clothes or my car though. Bitch.

The more this game goes on, the more I play it like Animal Crossing. I try and keep my friendships up and buy all the clothes I can.

Downhome

Did I screw up? It's about Roman, the depot, and the safe house:

I got to the point where his depot and apartment have been burned down, but I only did four taxi missions for him before it happened, and now I can't do it anymore. Did I screw up by not getting all of that out of the way? Does it even matter one way or the other at this point?

Zep

Banned
Downhome said:
Did I screw up? It's about Roman, the depot, and the safe house:

I got to the point where his depot and apartment have been burned down, but I only did four taxi missions for him before it happened, and now I can't do it anymore. Did I screw up by not getting all of that out of the way? Does it even matter one way or the other at this point?

Not at all...It will be rebuilt later on.

I just did
Three Leaf Clover
. Not only was the first part of the mission amazing, but Thin Lizzy "Jail Break" was playing on the radio for the whole end part of the mission.

This game is built of amazing!

Weenerz said:
Undress to Kill is kicking my ass atm, any tips?

Maggot9 said:
kill the one guy counting the money in the office, then just run straight outside and chase the other two, they'll be together in an SUV.

You may have to enter the club for one sec (but don't fight anybody) after you leave the first time just to trigger them leaving.

TheGreatDave said:
I see it as a challenge.

I'm going to get her shouting how good a conversationalist I am if it's the last thing I do. I've stopped playing missions and basically got in a loop of going out with her, fucking around for a bit, picking up a car for Brucie, sleeping, then calling her again.

She never likes my clothes or my car though. Bitch.

The more this game goes on, the more I play it like Animal Crossing. I try and keep my friendships up and buy all the clothes I can.

Lol. I know it's sad but I also keep dating her because I'm like give up the p****

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Stoney Mason said:
Three Leaf Clover
was epic and difficult.
When you guys are saying these missions are difficult is this because you aren't taking your time nor buying body armor? I'm not dieing on any of these missions you guys are saying are hard. I don't even think my armor got hurt on Three Leaf Clover.

vumpler said:
When you guys are saying these missions are difficult is this because you aren't taking your time nor buying body armor? I'm not dieing on any of these missions you guys are saying are hard. I don't even think my armor got hurt on Three Leaf Clover.

You simply might be a better player than some of us. I'm not afraid to admit that. :D

It was tough for me because of the way certain people respawn and the fact that you sometimes had to kill people on both sides of yourself. Not to mention just because of the explosions and the way your AI teammates react, varies sometimes it would be slighly different than the way it was before.

Also for some reason the first time I left the Bank on car I took a wrong turn and got gangbanged by the cops.

Stoney Mason said:
Lol. I know it's sad but I also keep dating her because I'm like give up the p****

That's basically what I'm in it for. She better not never put out.

She does keep saying that if she WAS interested in a relationship, I'd be PERFECT.

vumpler

Side Note: I did the achievement for staying on 6 star wanted for 5 minutes. Heres how I did it: (I'll tag it just incase people don't want hints on how to do it.

I guess there are more legit ways of doing it but oh well. I stole a cop car yesterday and parked it at my safehouse. I went outside and called for backup. Then I ran inside to my apartment and waited on them. Shot everyone that came in the door 1 by 1 for 10 minutes and it worked great.

Also my brother found pretty much a glitch to get the achievement. He did it without using a single gun by
going on the train tracks at the beginning of the game and keep following them. Eventually you will enter one of the islands you haven't unlocked yet and it will immediately go to 6 stars apparently. You just stand there and they never get to you and you achieve it.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Same. I'm just tired hearing the bitching about it. I very much prefer the realistic weightyness of the cars. However, it's like people expect to pick it up immediately. In about 3 months, it won't even phase peope anymore. Anything worth learning takes practice.

DoomGyver

need some help:

Brucie sent me a text message for a side mission

He sent me a message/pic from Stevie about a Moped he wanted in chinatown on diamond st. Well, I get the moped, and it just says that I stole the moped and doesn't mark on the map where to drop it off or put it in the garage. What do i do?

vumpler

Topher said:
Same. I'm just tired hearing the bitching about it. I very much prefer the realistic weightyness of the cars. However, it's like people expect to pick it up immediately. In about 3 months, it won't even phase peope anymore. Anything worth learning takes practice.
Honestly I can't really see a megaton of people playing this online in 3 months unless they make some major updates. On my friends list already 90% of them were playing CoD today as opposed to 100% playing GTAIV 3 days ago..

Xanathus

Is there a way to tell if any of the side mission characters are dead/still alive? Specifically, I failed a mission with Pathos (rapper near Time Square) where you have to protect him from being attacked by two gangsters and immediately loaded my autosave. However when I got back there he wasn't around anymore. Or maybe they only appear at certain times of the day.

Zeke

anyone have any tips on kate? I'm at 100% with her and nothing so far. I had to work myself back up to 100% I took her out on a bike and rammed a car by accident she wasn't too happy about that :lol

Topher said:

For me it's the combat (While not perfect) it is very fun imo. It's so much improved from prior GTA's it is ridiculous. When I read comments that it's worse than prior GTA's it makes my head explode. Did people actually remember what combat was like in prior GTA's?

kylej

Banned
Holy cow. Some pedestrian just yelled out "This is Liberty City, not Carson City you maniac!".

Very nice reference right there, Rockstar.

vumpler

kylej said:
Holy cow. Some pedestrian just yelled out "This is Liberty City, not Carson City you maniac!".

Very nice reference right there, Rockstar.
Why is that nice Carson City a farming town or something?

vumpler said:
Honestly I can't really see a megaton of people playing this online in 3 months unless they make some major updates. On my friends list already 90% of them were playing CoD today as opposed to 100% playing GTAIV 3 days ago..

There is no doubt it won't compete with games like Halo 3 and COD 4 as a multiplayer title. I haven't played a ton but I've played enough to realize that. I'll give it a go once more once I beat the multi-player but it is going to be a huge multiplayer title outside of the fact that so many people will own the title. We'll have to hopefully wait for the next GTA title for it to be fully realized and refined.

wtf? so I'm doing some police missions and I'm killing some gangsters and all of a sudden the cops come after me because i hit one of their cars with a bullet...wtf.

kylej

Banned
vumpler said:
Why is that nice Carson City a farming town or something?

Carcer City (not Carson, its been a while since I played Manhunt). Carcer City is the fictional city that Manhunt took place in. There was a news piece in GTA3's radio that mentioned Carson City too.

Full Recovery said:
need some help:

Brucie sent me a text message for a side mission

He sent me a message/pic from Stevie about a Moped he wanted in chinatown on diamond st. Well, I get the moped, and it just says that I stole the moped and doesn't mark on the map where to drop it off or put it in the garage. What do i do?

Car icon in chase point, bohan.

Top Bottom