• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

M3wThr33

Banned
Also, going over stats, it says I dumped a girl, but I don't remember doing that. Was that simply when I refuse to go on a date?

ElyrionX said:
Uhhh, as far as I know, Comets (Porsche) don't spawn outside of missions. I have NEVER seen one while driving around in Free Mode and I've put in 31 hours already. The only exception, of course, is when I'm driving a Comet myself.

The same goes for the SuperGT (Aston Martin) and the Infernus (Lambo). These three cars are the rarest cars in the game and are only obtainable when they spawn during races and missions.
There is a comet parked in one of the driveways in northern alderny, and superGTs usually litter chinatown, the exchange, and castle gardens.

the Infernus, however, is insanely rare.

Weenerz

Banned
20 hours in, still have 2 islands to open up, this game is so massive :lol

I thought I'd been thru most of the missions because I thought I had advanced the story quite a bit, but damn. I don't want it to end =(

squicken

Ventrue said:
I don't quite get some stuff about the plot. Could someone help me understand this?

END GAME SPOILERS BY THE END OF THIS.

Okay, so my first point of confusion is with the diamonds. As I understand it:

Bulgarin has some diamonds.
Biker gang steals diamonds for Ray, you collect them with garbage truck.
The other garbage guys take some of the diamonds, you get them back.
You go to sell the diamonds to that family whose name sounds like Enchilada.
The bikers start shooting at the deal, and then so do the 'Enchilada' henchmen.
The bikers get the money.
The Enchiladas get the diamonds?
Packie and you kidnap that girl, the daughter of the 'Enchilada' boss.
Ray says that he won't pay...but he will pay diamonds? So you get him to pay diamonds, which Packie will then...sell to Ray? What does Ray get? The whole point was to sell the diamonds for profit, why would he need them back? If he is making money, what does Packie get?

Now, for the second point of confusion. During the exchange of the girl for the diamonds, Bulgarin shows up.
Bulgarin is the guy who thinks you owe him money from Europe.
Dimitri sold you out to Bulgarin in the beginning. Dimitri is working for him to eliminate you.
Bulgarin is pissed that you stole his diamonds too. He drives off and leaves his men to deal with you.
Nobody gets the diamonds. Dimitri is pissed. Bulgarin is presumably pissed.
Now what the fuck happened to Bulgarin? Did I miss a phone call or something? Why did he never show up again?

At now at the end. You stole a truckload of Heroin (?) earlier for Pegorino. Pegorino says he has found a buyer. He says something about Dimitri, which pisses off Niko. I thought he said that Dimitri was the buyer, but I guess he just said that Dimitri was working for him, or that Dimitri had found a buyer FOR him?

If you choose the MONEY ending:
You and Bell go to a compound of Russians. A group of Russians is going to pick up the Heroin. When they get it, they will call and you will pick up the money in the compound.
Instead, Dimitri shoots them and you end up fighting through the compound for the money.
Dimtri says something like "why would I pay for blah when I could have it for free?" on the phone. Huh? What is Dimitri paying? Aren't the Russians paying with the money in the compound? What is he getting for that matter? The heroin? Aren't the Russians buying that?

I realise this is kind of long and maybe I'm just dense, but none of this made sense to me.

Also, one other short question about the ending:
I did the revenge ending, so I didn't bother finishing the money ending because I died on Happiness Isle (and I presume they're the same, just with Dimitri replacing Pegorino). Does Kate just never speak to you again after the story is over?

I think we're supposed to be confused by the diamonds. Even Niko makes mention of how multiple people claim ownership, and that ultimately, they are cursed. Honestly, I got confused and just chalked it up to one big MacGuffin. There were lots of MacGuffins in the game. You never knew exactly what Frank McCreary's secrets were that he wanted hidden. You just had to do the job.

As far as the heroin: Dmitri was supposed to give the buyers the H. After they took it and verified its validity, you and Bell were supposed to take possession of the money from the buyers. Obviously, if he wanted to, Dmitri could have just kept the H w/o ever bothering with the buyers. But like Niko said, involving the buyers and setting he and Bell up was an "execution". Dmitri used the deal as a pretext to have Niko killed.

ElyrionX

SIP YEK NOD said:
There is a comet parked in one of the driveways in northern alderny, and superGTs usually litter chinatown, the exchange, and castle gardens.

the Infernus, however, is insanely rare.

Don't know about the Comet parked in Northern Alderney but I've never seen a SuperGT in my game before. The first time ever that I've seen it is during that mission where you got to chase down the enemy driving it. Maybe later I'll go drive around Chinatown a bit and see if it spawns.

Also, the Infernus is pretty damn ugly for such a rare car. That Zonda rear just doesn't suit the Lambo's body.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so happy the Mafia Sentinel is in the game still.
Even if it's sorta riced out this time around.
I've found it be pretty rare though.

ElyrionX

EazyB said:
Yup, that's the car I was asking about. Got it from
Bernie
and I'm afraid to take it out of my parking spot :p

In all likelihood, if you take it out, you will see other Infernus spawn on the road, so don't worry about it. Just don't bring it on a mission with you since you could lose it that way. The only other way I know of to get that car would be doing races for Brucie until you get a race with an opposition driver who's driving it. You shoot the driver and the race gets cancelled and you can steal the car.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Two questions:

Is the "Manhunt" achievement glitched (the one where you have to kill every person on the police computer most wanted list)? Becuase I've killed every one of them since they all say 'deceased' but no achievement. :(

How do you save a car you want? I assume it's the yellow area in front of your apartment. I tried to save
the fast car that Bruice gives you after you win the race for him
, but now it's gone? I want to use that car for all of
Bruice's races

Gribbix

Here's an interesting article on the song tagging feature and how much effort went into licensing for the soundtrack:

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN0430077120080505?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Consider the back story on how the 1979 cult classic "Walk the Night" by the Skatt Bros. came to appear on the soundtrack. Skatt Bros. member Sean Delaney -- also known as the "fifth member of Kiss" for his writing and production work with the rock band -- died in 2003, leaving his publishing share to a brother, a sister and a nephew living somewhere in Utah. They proved so hard to find that Rockstar went through the trouble of hiring a private investigator who flew to Orum, Utah, to locate them.

"It was just one of those songs we just couldn't let go of," Rockstar music supervisor Ivan Pavlovich says. "It fit the game perfectly, so we were obviously determined to track them down."

Domino Theory said:
Two questions:

Is the "Manhunt" achievement glitched (the one where you have to kill every person on the police computer most wanted list)? Becuase I've killed every one of them since they all say 'deceased' but no achievement. :(

Have you tried it on all islands?

Domino Theory said:
How do you save a car you want? I assume it's the yellow area in front of your apartment. I tried to save
the fast car that Bruice gives you after you win the race for him
, but now it's gone? I want to use that car for all of
Bruice's races

Did you park it outside your current safehouse?

I finally got around to doing Brucie's races. After winning five or six of them, I can't seem to trigger any more. Brucie keeps telling me there aren't any races going on. Does anyone know why? Is it based on location and I keep phoning him in areas where I've already completed them (I've done a few each on Algonquin and Broker/Dukes/Bohan)?

gray_fox224

ElyrionX said:
So anyone thinks the main story is a little too long? I've finished 81 missions and I'm feeling quite burned out from all the shooting and chasing and running.

Looks like you need a break.

East Lake

The Nature Roy said:
I finally got around to doing Brucie's races. After winning five or six of them, I can't seem to trigger any more. Brucie keeps telling me there aren't any races going on. Does anyone know why? Is it based on location and I keep phoning him in areas where I've already completed them (I've done a few each on Algonquin and Broker/Dukes/Bohan)?
I think it's based on location. He kept telling me there were no races for a long time and when I finally went to Algonquin more opened up pretty much immediately. I think his responses may also be based on what island you are on at the time, so even if there are ones open he might not tell you there are unless you are on the specific island that has more races.

Sean

Banned
Okay, what the fuck... Anyone have tips for the final mission?
"A Revenger's Tragedy". I take out everyone, chase Dimitri's helicopter in the speedboat, then Little Jacob brings his helicopter and tells me to go underneath his helicopter to jump on. I am driving at top speed and can not make it to the marker, when I do get there Jacob flys away.

Tried like at least ten times now..... I'm getting tired of having to repeat this so many times.

edit: read elsewhere that you need to drive to the marker without touching the analog stick, that worked perfectly the first try.

Ledsen

dagZ said:
any recommendations with the 6 star 5 minute achievement?

It's extremely easy. Just
go along the train tracks under the Brooklyn Bridge (don't know if any of the other ones have train tracks under them) before you're allowed to go to the second island. You'll get a 6-star rating immedately, just keep running until you find a wall to take cover from the helicopters. The cops can't get to you since you're under the bridge.

I'm really enjoying this game and beside the fact that GTA games always have a good scenario and fun missions, the level of details is just awesome.
Reading some posts with examples of things you did or seen that show how well done is every bit of the city makes me fell that i'm going to play this game for years (not 10 hours straight because i never play games like that but i'll just turn on my PS3, put GTA IV in it and have fun...).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This is weird, but I can't get the Social Club to work (on both IE and FF). I log in, then I go to section 'gta iv', but when I click on one of the logos there nothing happens.

I haven't seen a single thing on that site yet and it bums me out :( What button lets you see your ingame stats?

Darunia said:
This is weird, but I can't get the Social Club to work (on both IE and FF). I log in, then I go to section 'gta iv', but when I click on one of the logos there nothing happens.

I haven't seen a single thing on that site yet and it bums me out :( What button lets you see your ingame stats?
You must link your PSN ID / Gamertag to your username and then turn on the game being connected so the site can update.
Go in the Social Club FAQs. They explain how to do it.

mileS

Just unlocked the third part of the map. Holy hell what an amazing mission!

I've been having sooo much fun blasting through the main story that i'm kind of scared of reaching the end of it.

CoLaN

So, guys... are you naked zombies with yellow underpants?

Yea, if i press L1 on the multiplayer character customization i can be one of these :lol

I was reading gametrailers forums and it seems that not everyone got it

zombiecolan.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Chû Totoro said:
You must link your PSN ID / Gamertag to your username and then turn on the game being connected so the site can update.
Go in the Social Club FAQs. They explain how to do it.

I thought I linked my gt to my profile, but apparently I didn't, thanks. It works now! Is there any way you can see all the stats you see ingame, but then online?

Truant

Ceb said:
WTF? I was hailing a cab in the intersection just south of the safehouse in South Bohan, pulled out the passenger - a big, bald hispanic dude that proceeds to assault me. I pull a gun on him to scare him off, but he does the same... so I shoot him in the face. Now, I don't know if it was there before or not - I didn't see it - but now I notice a big-ass graffiti mural on the wall beneath the "Whiz!" ad. It has the face of a guy that looks pretty much exactly LIKE THE GUY I JUST SHOT, with a "RIP Hernan" below the portrait.

Was this just a huge coincidence or was this texture applied to the wall after I had shot this Hernan-lookalike down?

Can anyone comment this?

ice cream

Banned
What's the difference between Like and Respect between characters? Cos on some FAQ sites they say when you get upto a certain friendship percentage you unlock things but I'm not sure if it's the percentage in either Like or Respect? plus how do you get each one up?

Truant

ice cream said:
What's the difference between Like and Respect between characters? Cos on some FAQ sites they say when you get upto a certain friendship percentage you unlock things but I'm not sure if it's the percentage in either Like or Respect? plus how do you get each one up?

Like is how much they like you. Respect is how much they respect you.

Ventrue

Is anyone having heaps of trouble with dropping out of multiplayer games and having GTA tell you that you aren't signed into live even when you can message people etc?

Remy

Darunia said:
I thought I linked my gt to my profile, but apparently I didn't, thanks. It works now! Is there any way you can see all the stats you see ingame, but then online?

No. The only place for the time being where you can see *your* stats is through the Liberty City Marathon section, which covers the major stats.

Rockstar said they'll be adding more to the Social Club later, though.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
This may have already been posted but I have a question (about 32 hours in).

So somehow I didn't finish all of the
taxi driving missions from Roman before his cab service blew up,
and now his mission progress stat is stuck at 60% and there is no option
to do the cab rides on my phone
. Will I ever be able to finish these?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
NSBrandon said:
This may have already been posted but I have a question (about 32 hours in).

So somehow I didn't finish all of the
taxi driving missions from Roman before his cab service blew up,
and now his mission progress stat is stuck at 60% and there is no option
to do the cab rides on my phone
. Will I ever be able to finish these?

These cab missions don't factor into the percentage. His mission percentage only counts for actual story missions. The cab fares were just a way to get some cash and get to know the city better. There was an infinite supply of them too.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Wow... I had no idea the subway system was that elaborate. mind=blown

CoG

Probably shenanigans , but...

Yesterday I was sitting down playing GTA IV, my girlfriend asked to watch I said ok. She sat their silently, a few times she gasped and kinda laughed nervously. I thought she was having fun. But then I went to the strip club and said to her "you gotta see this" and then i laughed. I started the strip tease and she got up and left the room. I played for an hour and went to bed.

I woke up in the morning and went into the kitchen and nearly died. On the floor smashed into pieces was my PS3. I can't afford to replace it, and my girlfriend called me a sexist cretin, and that I was such a dumb pig to play a game like that. This hurt me alot and i tried to explain that the game isn't serious, and she told me something very mean spirited.

I can't believe this happened, i feel horrible about my life now. I don't make much so i can't afford to replace my PS3. It was my favorite game, but now Martha will be there, and will try to destroy it again if i ever buy it again. I don't know what to do, i lost my PS3, and now i won't get laid for six months.

I need help guys, thanks for the support.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=54129

:lol

dkeane

Is there a way to lock the camera behind your car? It's getting annoying having to babysit the camera each time I get into a car.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
dkeane said:
Is there a way to lock the camera behind your car? It's getting annoying having to babysit the camera each time I get into a car.

Lay off the right stick while driving...

Finally got the damn game!

And it's phenomenal, I'm speechless really. It's so incredibly close to a real city. Going to play some more now.

Opus Angelorum said:
Just bought the
Assault Shotgun
, best weapon in the game. Using it in a police shoot-out is awesome.
what's the difference? i almost buy it every time i'm at the gun store, worried the fire rate won't be as good.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm hooked bad on the multiplayer. Real bad.

I've only just opened up the second island, but all I can think about is getting back online to collect more monies.

I do wish that auto-aim was off by default, and that it didn't take so many shots to kill people. Overall though, the online portions of this game are amazing.

Now PS3 owners, GET A FUCKING MIC!!!!

GQman2121 said:
I'm hooked bad on the multiplayer. Real bad.

I've only just opened up the second island, but all I can think about is getting back online to collect more monies.

I do wish that auto-aim was off by default, and that it didn't take so many shots to kill people. Overall though, the online portions of this game are amazing.

Now PS3 owners, GET A FUCKING MIC!!!!
Does it work with the singstar mic ?

eso76

still around 20% in, i was wondering if there are other mobile phones to unlock/buy in the game, and if so, do they include a camera ? i need to take pics of liberty city

Top Bottom