• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

woodchuck

whenever i need a nice car, i just go to beachgate and faustin's house. There's a turismo sitting in his driveway that seems to respawn

Sean

Banned
So is there a way to date LawChick and Sobechick again? I missed the scheduled dates for both of them. Got bitchy emails from them but there's no way to reply or schedule another time it seems (they aren't on love-meet.net anymore)...

I had to share this story:

The fiancé and I are in a Target today when we pass by an employee in front of a Sony BR display with a customer when I hear him say...

Clerk: "Sony already has all the 360 extra content for GTA4 on the disc... it was so big they almost didn't fit it all on there."

Customer: *amazed* "Really??"

Clerk: *confident* "Oh yeah..."

Me: *sighs and just walks away*

eudaemonic said:

The fiancé and I are in a Target today when we pass by an employee in front of a Sony BR display with a customer when I hear him say...

Clerk: "Sony already has all the 360 extra content for GTA4 on the disc... it was so big they almost didn't fit it all on there."

:lol

"Oh, yeah bro. Any mission with a rapper? In Times Square? Dumbass 360 users are paying for that shit in the fall."

Brashnir

Choc said:
I just thought of the DLC. Kate gets with you, Packie starts a fight, Niko vs Pakie fight. You win you get kate. haha :) as for your question dunno, went revenge.

what is total crap about a dish served cold is Kate tells you not to go for the money, yet she dies because of it, CRAP!
Whichever character you listen to on that choice dies as a result. If you take Roman's advice and go for the money, he dies. I think they purposefully did it that way to increase the impact of their deaths.

This is the first GTA game that I can say I truly love. After San Andreas I didn't seem to care much if another one came out, but the trailers and look of the characters got me excited... and now that I'm playing it, it just seems so incredibly above and beyond the other installments. Kudos Rockstar!

Brashnir

EazyB said:
Semi-unrelated car spoiler:
I've got the car Bennie gives you at one of my safehouses but I'm afraid to take it out because I've never seen another one so if I lose it I could be screwed. Anyway to get it another one?

I see them around all the time. At one point, I had two of them parked in front of my safehouse in Algonquin.

Questions regarding multiplayer:

Is there a way for me to join games with more participants on PSN or selectively filter out games that don't have as many participants? Every game I join under quick match, the most I get are like 4 players.

eudaemonic said:

So are employees given commission on Sony merchandise or something? I don't understand why people would lie, or how this misinformation gets out there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have the whiz phone, but do you ever unlock a blackberry esque phone so you can check your email without going to tw@... or the ifruit phone?

Sean said:
So is there a way to date LawChick and Sobechick again? I missed the scheduled dates for both of them. Got bitchy emails from them but there's no way to reply or schedule another time it seems (they aren't on love-meet.net anymore)...

Yeah, I'm pissed that I missed out on Sobechick. At least there's always a second playthough, heh.

Teknoman

Jtwo said:
I have the whiz phone, but do you ever unlock a blackberry esque phone so you can check your email without going to tw@... or the ifruit phone?

You wouldnt want an Ifruit phone. Trust me.

Teknoman

Spruchy said:
HPIM0585.jpg

Damn man...my condolences.

Fletcher

Sean said:

I'm wondering this, too

Digital Limit said:
So are employees given commission on Sony merchandise or something? I don't understand why people would lie, or how this misinformation gets out there.

My guess he's a GameFaqs regular...

I was really tempted to step in there but I figured it wasn't worth it. I wasn't about to have a forum conversation when I was just stopping to grab a pack of gum and use the bathroom since I was on on my way home from a weekend trip.

Btw, it was the Ventura, CA location...

Gully State said:
Questions regarding multiplayer:

Is there a way for me to join games with more participants on PSN or selectively filter out games that don't have as many participants? Every game I join under quick match, the most I get are like 4 players.

anyone?

Dama

Banned
i just finished the first sniper mission, how far am i from unlocking the 2nd part of the city and the helicopter?

Wollan

Postmortem (for those who finished the game). Random memorable events (please add yours):

The kidnapping of the girl. I loved the struggle while driving, there's a cutscene in my car!. Niko ends up punching her straight out. I was amazed.

Three Leaf Clover - The bank heist mission, just perfect in every way. Will definitely go down as one of the supreme gaming moments for me. The first time I played it I wasn't as skilled in GTA4 combat as I am now and it was totally a fight on two different fronts with me turning 180degrees back and forth to keep the police back. Amazing (I also managed to finish it on my first try).

Niko generally messing with Bruce on how he would grow small balls. Also, Niko faking a second punch causing Bruce to scream.

The overall terrific performance by Niko Bellic (Michael Hollick). Just a million different lines in the game that came through very powerful. Perhaps the most realized videogame character ever. Things that stick out in my head are 'I didn't fuck up okay!!' (Dimitri confronting him with lost shipment in the Adriatic), 'aaaargh, you motherfuckers!' (when in a heavy combat scenario, gameplay).. okay, maybe not the best examples in writing but the performance was SO spot on. And there was never ever a bad acting moment from this guy.

Niko telling folks of the terrible events of war. Children being lined up dead (throats slit, hands cut off) against the church wall.. 'the creature who can do this, has no soul'. Also he told Kate about Roman's mother being raped and killed, Roman not knowing this.

Here's an interesting thing.

I have a fear of heights. Being close to like a ledge even in say a high second story of a mall bugs me. It's not a crippling fear or anything. You get over it and I even like to ride roller-coasters but the gut level sort of numbing instinctual fear is always there if I don't control it.

GTA 4 is the first game, that has sort of triggered that for me in a virtual world. I just did a mission where I had to climb up a really tall building that was a bit precarious and as I neared the edges it tripped of the same type of fear in myself I noticed. And it's not fear just that my character will fall and die and I'll have to reload. It's an actual sort of real fear that myself the player as Niko will somehow fall and it will effect me. I think it's because it looks pretty realistic and as far as I can remember, it's the first time that it's ever happened to me in a videogame.

btw the chopper doesn't do it. That looks less real and doesn't trip of my fear sense. Just thought that was interesting.

Core407

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Here's an interesting thing.

I have a fear of heights. Being close to like a ledge even in say a high second story of a mall bugs me. It's not a crippling fear or anything. You get over it and I even like to ride roller-coasters but the gut level sort of numbing instinctual fear is always there if I don't control it.

GTA 4 is the first game, that has sort of triggered that for me in a virtual world. I just did a mission where I had to climb up a really tall building that was a bit precarious and as I neared the edges it tripped of the same type of fear in myself I noticed. And it's not fear just that my character will fall and die and I'll have to reload. It's an actual sort of real fear that myself the player as Niko will somehow fall and it will effect me. I think it's because it looks pretty realistic and as far as I can remember, it's the first time that it's ever happened to me in a videogame.

btw the chopper doesn't do it. That looks less real and doesn't trip of my fear sense. Just thought that was interesting.

I find myself reacting to really intense accidents or really impressive experiences.

Wollan said:
Postmortem (for those who finished the game). Random memorable events (please add yours):

The kidnapping of the girl. I loved the struggle while driving, there's a cutscene in my car!. Niko ends up punching her straight out. I was amazed.

Three Leaf Clover - The bank heist mission, just perfect in every way. Will definitely go down as one of the supreme gaming moments for me. The first time I played it I wasn't as skilled in GTA4 combat as I am now and it was totally a fight on two different fronts with me turning 180degrees back and forth to keep the police back. Amazing (I also managed to finish it on my first try).

Niko generally messing with Bruce on how he would grow small balls. Also, Niko faking a second punch causing Bruce to scream.

The overall terrific performance by Niko Bellic (Michael Hollick). Just a million different lines in the game that came through very powerful. Perhaps the most realized videogame character ever. Things that stick out in my head are 'I didn't fuck up okay!!' (Dimitri confronting him with lost shipment in the Adriatic), 'aaaargh, you motherfuckers!' (when in a heavy combat scenario, gameplay).. okay, maybe not the best examples in writing but the performance was SO spot on. And there was never ever a bad acting moment from this guy.

Niko telling folks of the terrible events of war. Children being lined up dead (throats slit, hands cut off) against the church wall.. 'the creature who can do this, has no soul'. Also he told Kate about Roman's mother being raped and killed, Roman not knowing this.

The usage of the cellphone. At first I thought it would be a glorified menu system, but it is so integrated into the gameplay it is amazing. When you date Lawchick, Niko mentions that she might be clingy and every once in a while she sends text messages like "call me! I need to see you!" and things like that.

The little touches. Things like when you first go into Michelle's apartment, Niko makes a comment about how everything in her place is brand new and she constantly is asking questions about Niko's life. Later on when you find out she is a cop, you slowly realize "oh shit! it all makes sense now!". It is also how the radio plays into it after beating a mission. It is awesome to hear about how what you did (or actually reading it online) on the news, only for it to be blamed on terrorist every time (lol).

Euphoria and general physics all over the place. Again, I was blown away when I saw my rocket get pushed away from a cab door and go flying into the air. Just amazing.

Job interview and later on the hospiial assasination. Something about walking through those areas and seeing all the guards you will have to worry about on your way out is awesome.

I have completed every named mission up until the Derek missions. How many more hours do I have left?

I was thinking I might try and rush through the rest as to snag that 30 hour achievement.

Halvie

Banned
Can anyone tell me if the last 75% of the game I will basically just be doing jobs for
the feds
? If so that is pretty fucking lame....just when I thought I was going to start liking this game.

Eric WK

Halvie said:
Can anyone tell me if the last 75% of the game I will basically just be doing jobs for
the feds
? If so that is pretty fucking lame....just when I thought I was going to start liking this game.

Absolutely not.

Wollan

Linkzg said:
The usage of the cellphone. At first I thought it would be a glorified menu system, but it is so integrated into the gameplay it is amazing. When you date Lawchick, Niko mentions that she might be clingy and every once in a while she sends text messages like "call me! I need to see you!" and things like that.

The little touches. Things like when you first go into Michelle's apartment, Niko makes a comment about how everything in her place is brand new and she constantly is asking questions about Niko's life. Later on when you find out she is a cop, you slowly realize "oh shit! it all makes sense now!". It is also how the radio plays into it after beating a mission. It is awesome to hear about how what you did (or actually reading it online) on the news, only for it to be blamed on terrorist every time (lol).

Euphoria and general physics all over the place. Again, I was blown away when I saw my rocket get pushed away from a cab door and go flying into the air. Just amazing.

Job interview and later on the hospiial assasination. Something about walking through those areas and seeing all the guards you will have to worry about on your way out is awesome.
The cellphone, it's almost a revolutionary step in how you move a story forwards within a game. It makes the whole thing alive, having all those friends, doing activities..etc. Amazing debut/solidifying of the concept.

I like the attention to vehicle detail like how realistically the boats crush against the wave with the water getting pushed to the sides. Spot on. Also, if you manage to wreck a car on a certain side it might start to drag heavily to that side.

The great variety of environments. You feel like almost every corner has something new to see, new colors or whatnot. Also, the sunset environment lighting is absolutely breath taking.

Like you mentioned, the Euphoria physics. It can be a bit weird from time to time but most of the time it's amazing. Remember first gen ragdoll, this is first gen Euphoria. This is a glimpse into the future. They couldn't ask for a more perfect game than GTA4 to debut this in.

The weapons and the sound/effects of using them. How sparks flush out of the shotgun barrel, how brutal the carbine rifle sounds, how the rockets spin around, the absolutely amazing bench-mark quality explosions, the blood splattering on windscreens, sparks... it's all spot on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Papercuts said:
And I have trouble remembering where I met two people(If you've done 3 leaf clover you should recognize) -
I don't remember who Saint Micheal is, and Ray something I have to do missions for.

Anyone know?

Xevren

Rapping Granny said:
My most hated character so far is Manny, man he's annoying and that follow the train mission is so retarded.

I didn't have a problem with the mission but yes, Manny is super lame.

Manny is awesome. Screw you haters.

I was kinda shocked when he got killed. The gay character has been the only character I didn't like so far and that's mainly because he's a pretty bad stereotype. They dropped the ball with him

I'll probably finish off the game tomorrow. I'm pretty damn close. Very enjoyable game and well worth the money no matter how it finishes.

Rorschach

Last Elizabeta mission spoiler

Yeah, I hated Manny too, but he gets his. :D :D :D It was coldblooded as hell and rather senseless, but I felt relieved that I wouldn't have to work for that guy again. I can stand working for idiots like Brucie or taking Bernie on a picnic, but I never want to go as low as to have to work for Manny again. And he gets butchered on top of it all. :lol

[edit]
Stoney Mason said:
Manny is awesome. Screw you haters.

I was kinda shocked when he got killed. The gay character has been the only character I didn't like so far and that's mainly because he's a pretty bad stereotype. They dropped the ball with him

I'll probably finish off the game tomorrow. I'm pretty damn close. Very enjoyable game and well worth the money no matter how it finishes.
There are other gay characters that aren't as out there. I think Bernie is just... out there. I guess it's all the years of war and pent up feelings. And he rocks because he gives you the best car evar!

ElyrionX

So anyone thinks the main story is a little too long? I've finished 81 missions and I'm feeling quite burned out from all the shooting and chasing and running.

ElyrionX said:
So anyone thinks the main story is a little too long? I've finished 81 missions and I'm feeling quite burned out from all the shooting and chasing and running.

Not for me. I think it only sort of feels that way if you sort of cram it and rush to finish it in a relatively short period of time.

ElyrionX

Stoney Mason said:
Not for me. I think it only sort of feels that way if you sort of cram it and rush to finish it in a relatively short period of time.

I guess it's not the missions that I'm sick of but of all the loading and reloading and driving if you fail them. And I've used cabs as much as I can already.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ElyrionX said:

I only think it's annoying how the story keeps getting put on hold while you do missions for random people.

Besides Niko being a very good character one of the neat things they did this time imo was establish his relationships through his voice acting and writing and sort of really convey who he likes, who he dislikes, who he just tolerates, who he respects etc. It definitely ups the immersion factor and he is really is a distinct character because of it. The best lead Rockstar has done for a GTA game imo.

EazyB

Banned
Digital Limit said:
Nevermind. Just realized I'm already 30.5 hours in. Lol, this game is addictive.
I never checked out the achievement list in fear of spoilers until right after I beat the game. Once I did I saw the 30 hr achievement, and I was bummed that I didn't get it. After running around a little more I decided to check out my game clock and it was ~31 hrs. I loaded up my only save relatively close to the final mission and it was 30 minutes before 30 hrs. Luckily, after a couple tries I was able to squeeze in the last 2 missions within the 30 minutes but it was damn close.

aries_71

I'm really impressed by the small details of the game, and how polished it is.

For example, in one of the missions with Brucie, I needed to go to another part of the city. Since I used a taxi, I didn't have a ride available, and needed to steal a car. I saw a large van parked in the dock area, right next to a lamp post. I got in, but Brucie couldn't because the passenger door was blocked by the lamp post. Any other game would have the character wait outside, until you move the van. Not GTA. Brucie proceeded to the back of the van, opened a rear door and got in. I was amazed.

Another example. In one street in Bohan, there's a crazy preacher talking about the end of the world. The guy was so annoying, that I hit him with a baseball bat several times. I grounded him, but few moments later, he managed to got up and limp away. I followed him, and saw him entering a door. Any other game would have him vanish inside. Not GTA. I entered the same building, and saw him limping inside, going to a corner and cower there in fear or pain.

On another mission, I was chasing a car with four gang members, all of them shooting at me from the windows. I managed to rail the back passenger with a very long machine gun burst, but the driver was ok and kept speeding away. Few minutes laters, after he crashed against some obstacles in the way, one of the rear doors slammed open, and in one corner, I saw the two dead bodies fall out and roll down with the inertia. Amazing.

Ventrue

I don't quite get some stuff about the plot. Could someone help me understand this?

END GAME SPOILERS BY THE END OF THIS.

Okay, so my first point of confusion is with the diamonds. As I understand it:

Bulgarin has some diamonds.
Biker gang steals diamonds for Ray, you collect them with garbage truck.
The other garbage guys take some of the diamonds, you get them back.
You go to sell the diamonds to that family whose name sounds like Enchilada.
The bikers start shooting at the deal, and then so do the 'Enchilada' henchmen.
The bikers get the money.
The Enchiladas get the diamonds?
Packie and you kidnap that girl, the daughter of the 'Enchilada' boss.
Ray says that he won't pay...but he will pay diamonds? So you get him to pay diamonds, which Packie will then...sell to Ray? What does Ray get? The whole point was to sell the diamonds for profit, why would he need them back? If he is making money, what does Packie get?

Now, for the second point of confusion. During the exchange of the girl for the diamonds, Bulgarin shows up.
Bulgarin is the guy who thinks you owe him money from Europe.
Dimitri sold you out to Bulgarin in the beginning. Dimitri is working for him to eliminate you.
Bulgarin is pissed that you stole his diamonds too. He drives off and leaves his men to deal with you.
Nobody gets the diamonds. Dimitri is pissed. Bulgarin is presumably pissed.
Now what the fuck happened to Bulgarin? Did I miss a phone call or something? Why did he never show up again?

At now at the end. You stole a truckload of Heroin (?) earlier for Pegorino. Pegorino says he has found a buyer. He says something about Dimitri, which pisses off Niko. I thought he said that Dimitri was the buyer, but I guess he just said that Dimitri was working for him, or that Dimitri had found a buyer FOR him?

If you choose the MONEY ending:
You and Bell go to a compound of Russians. A group of Russians is going to pick up the Heroin. When they get it, they will call and you will pick up the money in the compound.
Instead, Dimitri shoots them and you end up fighting through the compound for the money.
Dimtri says something like "why would I pay for blah when I could have it for free?" on the phone. Huh? What is Dimitri paying? Aren't the Russians paying with the money in the compound? What is he getting for that matter? The heroin? Aren't the Russians buying that?

I realise this is kind of long and maybe I'm just dense, but none of this made sense to me.

Also, one other short question about the ending:
I did the revenge ending, so I didn't bother finishing the money ending because I died on Happiness Isle (and I presume they're the same, just with Dimitri replacing Pegorino). Does Kate just never speak to you again after the story is over?

Are there any benefits for killing
Derrick
instead of
Francis
? I chose the other way around
and so far there isn't a perk.

SpudBud

So awesome, I love that you get the chance to
kill Francis. I shot him without hesitation.
What a fucking hypocrite.

Jel0man

I'm at 69.5% now, but those damn pidgeons. I do want to complete the game, but finding all those little bastards probably won't be that much fun.

ElyrionX

HK-47 said:
Is there any way to get back the car Brucie "gives" you from street racing if you lose it? And what are good cars for racing?

Brashnir said:
you can just steal another one. it's a Comet. The good cars for racing are all the cars that look like they'd be good for racing, basically.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Steal one in the classier parts of Algonquin? They really aren't that rare.

Uhhh, as far as I know, Comets (Porsche) don't spawn outside of missions. I have NEVER seen one while driving around in Free Mode and I've put in 31 hours already. The only exception, of course, is when I'm driving a Comet myself.

The same goes for the SuperGT (Aston Martin) and the Infernus (Lambo). These three cars are the rarest cars in the game and are only obtainable when they spawn during races and missions.

Top Bottom