• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Tobor

DMPrince said:
Does she scream annoying things like Michelle? I mean i can't tell if she's having sex or just screaming to Niko to tell her interesting things.

Play the game further. You'll understand.

urge26

the cover system is starting to grow on me, combat in general is pretty awesome. I've only gotten 28% through the game, so I'm trying to avoid catching spoilers in this thread. I made the mistake of watching a video on kotaku that had a major spoiler in it, pissed me off bigger than life. The game really is one of the best looking games I've ever seen.

I am kinda disappointed in the radio stations, only a few songs get me pumped. I also hate it when I knick a police car and go into wanted mode, that is beyond annoying.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
lil smoke said:
What exactly is this?

I haven't messed to much with it, but it affects the position of the camera when you take a sharp turn. One way, the camera stays fixed on your starting orientation so you see the side of your car until you finish the turn and start moving in the new direction. The other way the camera tries to keep up more with your car.

dkeane

levious said:
I haven't messed to much with it, but it affects the position of the camera when you take a sharp turn. One way, the camera stays fixed on your starting orientation so you see the side of your car until you finish the turn and start moving in the new direction. The other way the camera tries to keep up more with your car.
This is exactly what I need. I'll try it out tonight.

painey

bryehn said:
Hey guys, How do I get Niko to roll? I missed the instructions when they popped up

X [360] or Square [PS3] and direction when locked on.

Can someone explain this achievement icon to me;
1oCLiGJhbC9HFQUbXVdRGEYyL2FjaC8wLzMAAAAA5+fn+ebuQw==.jpg

Obviously the house is the Museum, but what is coming out of the top? A Drill?

Roxas

Mecha_Infantry said:
Umm, where can I get the MP3 of the song in the introduction? :D

Its on the "Music of Grand Theft Auto IV" CD that was bundled with the Limited Editions. Its called "Soviet Connection" by Michael Hunter, if thats any help.

lil smoke

Banned
levious said:
Which button?

Using hood view works best for me. Just makes the car seem smaller, and I'm much better able to avoid all the shit that pops up in my way. And you can see exactly where you can cut corners. I'm probably 40% more efficient driving now.

voltron

Roxas said:
Its on the "Music of Grand Theft Auto IV" CD that was bundled with the Limited Editions. Its called "Soviet Connection" by Michael Hunter, if thats any help.

Is that the song they used for the first trailer? The time lapse one with the sun going across the city...

Ive heard that one a few times on "The Journey". Its rad... I always turn it up.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
lil smoke said:
Which button?

Using hood view works best for me. Just makes the car seem smaller, and I'm much better able to avoid all the shit that pops up in my way. And you can see exactly where you can cut corners. I'm probably 40% more efficient driving now.

It's in the menu options, not sure where it is. Maybe display.

Linkhero1

I was doing my first mission with Playboy where the cops try to bust you for selling coke and I fucked up badly. After killing all the cops in the building Playboy and I got into a car and speed away. Little did I know that if I entered the airport my star count would double from two to four. So yeah I was trapped in the airport with no where to run but then I realized I can swim my way out. I did just that and Playboy followed. Next thing I know Playboy drowns. Goodbye Playboy we'll miss you 8:20 AM PST - 8:40 AM PST RIP :(

chemicals

I just picked up the game last night and I'm truly amazed by every facet (yes, facet) of it. The richness of the characters and the camera angles.. just.. WOW!

Roxas

voltron said:
Is that the song they used for the first trailer? The time lapse one with the sun going across the city...

Ive heard that one a few times on "The Journey". Its rad... I always turn it up.

No, its the one playing during the start-up of the game (The long loading screens at the beginning)

Wollan

Just realized something (for those who have mainly finished the game),
the cursed diamonds, I believe the diamond(s) you see getting 'cooked' in the intro is the same ones. They've been a part of Niko's journey all along. Maybe this reflects in how Niko is 'cursed'?

bryehn

Roxas said:
No, its the one playing during the start-up of the game (The long loading screens at the beginning)

The load screen one is a remix of Soviet Connection (Theme from Grand Theft Auto IV) by Michael Hunter. Hope it turns up on a full OST or on Amazon through Zit...

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Assassination missions are fun. :lol @
the woman on the boat using a sniper rifle on the last mission.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So when I am behind crates in cover and want to get over to some other crates a little ways away, what is the best way to do it if I have to peel out of cover to get there? E.g., I'd like to stay crouched but when you hit RB it takes you out of crouch.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
voltron said:

that's philip glass. It's music used in the Koyaanisqatsi film. After seeing this clip, I MUST see that movie sometime

Here it is, Pruit Igoe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qxk7KhnHs

I was in awe honestly

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I will never get bored of GTA. I've had so much fun playing the single player mode that I completely forgot that there was even a multiplayer mode!

AstroLad said:
So when I am behind crates in cover and want to get over to some other crates a little ways away, what is the best way to do it if I have to peel out of cover to get there? E.g., I'd like to stay crouched but when you hit RB it takes you out of crouch.

I generally unstick, sprint to the cover and hit the cover + A button (I think it is)
to slide into the new cover position as I get close.

ElyrionX

Fucking son of a bitch, I'm at the second last mission and I failed it near the end because I didn't get to the goddamn vehicle fast enough. FUCK FUCK FUCK. And that mission is long as fuck. Son of a bitch. And it's the same with so many of these chase missions. It's so fucking easy to lose your target if you just slip up one time. WTF is this shit.

EDIT: Also, when I saw the instruction for me to get to the vehicle. I hesitated for like FIVE SECONDS because I didn't see it. It's in a not-obvious location. Son of a bitch. And I lose the mission just like that?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Linkhero1 said:
I was doing my first mission with Playboy where the cops try to bust you for selling coke and I fucked up badly. After killing all the cops in the building Playboy and I got into a car and speed away. Little did I know that if I entered the airport my star count would double from two to four. So yeah I was trapped in the airport with no where to run but then I realized I can swim my way out. I did just that and Playboy followed. Next thing I know Playboy drowns. Goodbye Playboy we'll miss you 8:20 AM PST - 8:40 AM PST RIP :(
:lol

I did practically the same thing.

voltron

I probably wont use mine.... I already pay for Live... so it possible for me to skip my next payment and use this code instead - then re-initiate payment next month?

If not then someone can have my code.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just had the most awesome game of MP Free Roam ever, I predict that when the community settles into it it could be utterly brilliant. It seems to be a game of random alliances and grudges. I ended up playing with some randoms and we'd just call each other up and chose a target, then go to them on the map and fuck 'em up. It was inspired brilliance.

Usually we'd just pick on the assholes that are killing indiscriminately (we'd kill, but only our target, everyone else was okay), makes it more fun meting out rough 'justice' to XBL idiots.

Had some great set-pieces as well, with a fanstastic sequence in a helicopter where I was picked up by my partner in the middle of a 3 star police standoff in the middle of the street. Then we were off, tracking down one victim on the radar. We were following him in a police heli down a main street in Algonquin, me and some other guy shooting out the windows as our pilot tried to keep the chopper from crashing. Just as we were almost on top of him the pilot fucked up and sheared the blades off the heli but since we were so low we just skidded for blocks across the street, running over our target in his car, shooting him as we went past. His car now on fire, the target got out of his car and started to run away. We got out of our heli husk and all three of us opened fire on him, cutting him down in seconds. Just as we do it, his car blows up and sets off our heli, killing us all.

FUCK YES.

The lag can be a bit fierce at times but the sheer chaos of the MP is well worth it once people start to think outside of the 'stand there and shoot at each other with pistols until you both die' mindset. While we were terrorizing the server there were plenty of other players acting as air taxis, showing each other where cool hidden cars are, getting in massive police chases, blocking off roads as traps for other players. It was great fun.

Hopefully R* will continue to work on the MP through patches. Auto-aim should be off by default for a start. It could definitely be smoother, the party system is still very sketchy and the matchmaking itself can be very weird. Sometimes I get into games with just a few players, and no more ever join. The whole point of matchmaking should be to get you into games full of players, not compartmentalize players into little 5-player servers for Cops'n'crooks. Haven't been able to find a decent game of Team DM yet either, and that could be great fun.

Teknoman

voltron said:
So is Zit fully working for you guys now?

Ive still only got 3 shown up on the socialclub. Zitted shit loads.

Same here. I thought they were fixed, but only 1 popped up out of the 4 I did. Same with stats. I know i've been wasted (died?) many many times now, but still 0%.

Teknoman said:
Same here. I thought they were fixed, but only 1 popped up out of the 4 I did. Same with stats. I know i've been wasted (died?) many many times now, but still 0%.
Yeah. Social Club is currently busted up shit. They need to get that fixed asap.

FrankT

voltron said:
I probably wont use mine.... I already pay for Live... so it possible for me to skip my next payment and use this code instead - then re-initiate payment next month?

If not then someone can have my code.

The code stacks with existing accounts. It bumped my account up a month so I'm good until like June 09 now. Might as well put it in and then you do not have to renew for another month.

Of course if anybody doesn't want their codes I'll gladly take em. :D

voltron

Jedeye Sniv said:
Just had the most awesome game of MP Free Roam ever, I predict that when the community settles into it it could be utterly brilliant. It seems to be a game of random alliances and grudges. I ended up playing with some randoms and we'd just call each other up and chose a target, then go to them on the map and fuck 'em up. It was inspired brilliance.

Usually we'd just pick on the assholes that are killing indiscriminately (we'd kill, but only our target, everyone else was okay), makes it more fun meting out rough 'justice' to XBL idiots.

Had some great set-pieces as well, with a fanstastic sequence in a helicopter where I was picked up by my partner in the middle of a 3 star police standoff in the middle of the street. Then we were off, tracking down one victim on the radar. We were following him in a police heli down a main street in Algonquin, me and some other guy shooting out the windows as our pilot tried to keep the chopper from crashing. Just as we were almost on top of him the pilot fucked up and sheared the blades off the heli but since we were so low we just skidded for blocks across the street, running over our target in his car, shooting him as we went past. His car now on fire, the target got out of his car and started to run away. We got out of our heli husk and all three of us opened fire on him, cutting him down in seconds. Just as we do it, his car blows up and sets off our heli, killing us all.

FUCK YES.

The lag can be a bit fierce at times but the sheer chaos of the MP is well worth it once people start to think outside of the 'stand there and shoot at each other with pistols until you both die' mindset. While we were terrorizing the server there were plenty of other players acting as air taxis, showing each other where cool hidden cars are, getting in massive police chases, blocking off roads as traps for other players. It was great fun.

Hopefully R* will continue to work on the MP through patches. Auto-aim should be off by default for a start. It could definitely be smoother, the party system is still very sketchy and the matchmaking itself can be very weird. Sometimes I get into games with just a few players, and no more ever join. The whole point of matchmaking should be to get you into games full of players, not compartmentalize players into little 5-player servers for Cops'n'crooks. Haven't been able to find a decent game of Team DM yet either, and that could be great fun.

See - reading awesome shit like that that is the reason I cry myself to sleep every night because there is no save replay feature - ala Halo 3 - included.

Im crying right now actually.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Jtyettis said:
The code stacks with existing accounts. It bumped my account up a month so I'm good until like June 09 now. Might as well put it in and then you do not have to renew for another month.

I just put in the code and I'm not so sure myself now :/ It says my membership is now 'monthly', whereas before I had Live from a 13 month prepaid card. I sure hope it goes back to that after that month is over, otherwise I have a problem

voltron said:
See - reading awesome shit like that that is the reason I cry myself to sleep every night because there is no save replay feature - ala Halo 3 - included.

Im crying right now actually.
That is indeed a major bummer. When I got the camera phone I was all like "Sweet! At least I can save pictures now!"

:( Not so much.

LJ11

Darunia said:
I just put in the code and I'm not so sure myself now :/ It says my membership is now 'monthly', whereas before I had Live from a 13 month prepaid card. I sure hope it goes back to that after that month is over, otherwise I have a problem

Did you check to see when it expires? Mine did the same thing, but the expiration date got bumped to Oct. from Sept.

EazyB said:
Just beat the game tonight. Took a little under 30 hrs but I didn't do a whole ton of side missions. Ended with an addiction level of: "Bummed in the Gob". Kinda let down buy the ending, vague spoiler:
It wasn't that satisfying to chase the last guy down. An epic battle up a skyscraper woulda been amazing.
Great fun, I'm already dying to see what the DLC is.

I finished the game with 80K+ (never needed to go to the gun shop) and once again found money to be completely useless. Are there properties I can buy or something else I missed?
really only 80k? I finished with 790k and spent 135k on hospital bills

Top Bottom