• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

ElyrionX

Brashnir said:
I didn't find the ending to be anti-climactic at all.

I thought it was tragic, but not anti-climactic.

Actually you're right. Not that anti-climatic. Definitely tragic.

Can't wait to see what the DLC has to offer.

ElyrionX

Himuro said:
Is there a certain point where I can get Alex?

You can get her anytime you're in Algonquin. Just log online and go to craplist.net. Click on the link to contact her and she will drop you a mail after a day or two.

Oh, and there's only one girl you can contact on craplist.net and she's the one. She has a picture on the page as well.

ElyrionX

Captain Glanton said:
Alex: Discount on clothes
Carmen: [Tiny] Health regeneration
Kiki: Lose your wanted level [!]
Michelle:
Gets you in trouble.

Those are the ones I know.

Actually if you're in the red, Carmen restores your health to 100%. At least it did for me.

clav

Last mission help...

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK! I just failed the last mission because I hopped on the bike too late to chase Pegorino, and the game said he got away, which was strange, since I just hopped on it for 2 fucking seconds.

What am I doing wrong? I had Pegorino down to one health bar left. : (

I'll retry this shit tomorrow. Fucking pissed.

Brashnir

HaloFans said:
Last mission help...

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK! I just failed the last mission because I hopped on the bike too late to chase Pegorino, and the game said he got away, which was strange, since I just hopped on it for 2 fucking seconds.

don't try to kill him, just chase him down and get on the bike ASAP. If you jump over the ledge in the right spot, you land right on the bike, basically.

Stantron

I just got flipped off by a dude who I was honking at like mad so that that slow fuck would cross the fucking toll booth. I would have rammed him through, but I didn't want to damage the car I was in. Instead, I paid my toll, then I pulled him out from his car and ran him over with it. :lol

clav

Brashnir said:
don't try to kill him, just chase him down and get on the bike ASAP.
I got him down to one health before he climbed down the ladder. Then, I had to fight off another 20 of his goons before I saw him speed off in his fucking speedboat.

Got on the bike and failed.

Oh yeah, I also had trouble finding the fucking entrance to the hideout. I just jumped from the roof which took away a lot of health since I landed in a spot where everyone could kill me.

Where's the entrance?

HaloFans said:
Last mission help...

You have to hop on the bike and chase him down the coast of the beach. Be careful because there is a jump towards the end of the coastline where you need to line up your bike and go up a ramp to jump on a helicopter. It can be tricky to line up your bike so the moment you see the yellow indicator for the ramp you need to start working to line-up. There is a little more after that but it's easy. The only real tough part is lining up your bike for the jump and going at a decent speed.

burgerdog

UncleGuito said:
I know I've said this many times, but my God, the graphics are gorgeous. I don't think I fully appreciated them until I got to the second island, but the lighting, effects, and models are all incredible. Even with the occasional pop-in, this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen.

I couldn't agree more.

Brashnir

HaloFans said:
I got him down to one health before he climbed down the ladder. Then, I had to fight off another 20 of his goons before I saw him speed off in his fucking speedboat.

Got on the bike and failed.

Oh yeah, I also had trouble finding the fucking entrance to the hideout. I just jumped from the roof which took away a lot of health since I landed in a spot where everyone could kill me.

Where's the entrance?

I'm not even sure what you mean by the entrance. kill all the guys at the beginning using the car as cover. You'll have to pick off a couple more as you approach the building. Then use the sides of the front door as cover, picking off all the guys inside. Get the health on the room to the left if you're low, and then proceed forward and to the left into the dark area. This triggers a cutscene with Pegorino. Chase him up the stairs and them outside. Work your way downward and out to the bike, then chase him down. I won't spoil what happens after you get on the bike.

ElyrionX

HaloFans said:
Last mission help...

:lol

I posted this yesterday. Look familiar?

elyrionx said:
Fucking son of a bitch, I'm at the second last mission and I failed it near the end because I didn't get to the goddamn vehicle fast enough. FUCK FUCK FUCK. And that mission is long as fuck. Son of a bitch. And it's the same with so many of these chase missions. It's so fucking easy to lose your target if you just slip up one time. WTF is this shit.

EDIT: Also, when I saw the instruction for me to get to the vehicle. I hesitated for like FIVE SECONDS because I didn't see it. It's in a not-obvious location. Son of a bitch. And I lose the mission just like that?

clav

Brashnir said:
I'm not even sure what you mean by the entrance. kill all the guys at the beginning using the car as cover. You'll have to pick off a couple more as you approach the building. Then use the sides of the front door as cover, picking off all the guys inside. Get the health on the room to the left if you're low, and then proceed forward and to the left into the dark area. This triggers a cutscene with Pegorino. Chase him up the stairs and them outside. Work your way downward and out to the bike, then chase him down. I won't spoil what happens after you get on the bike.
I killed everyone around the building. The game is so fucking dark (contrast and brightness turned up high), that I walked around and on top. Didn't see a place to go in aside from the cracks in the roof, so I said fuck it, and made a jump and landed on a block, which made me vulnerable to enemy gun fire from all sides. Lost all my armor and half my health that way.

Was it just right next to the guys you killed in the beginning?

Someone mind posting that map with the bridges that need to be flown under for the achievement? I'm missing one and have no clue where it could be. Please say it's not that bridge in middle park.

HaloFans said:
I killed everyone around the building. The game is so fucking dark (contrast and brightness turned up high), that I walked around and on top. Didn't see a place to go in.

Was it just right next to the guys you killed in the beginning?

No. Once you go on the roof you need to kill a few guys on the roof but there are also a bunch of guys on the ground that you have to kill. You are trying to work your way toward the colored circle which is where the mob boss is and where the bike is that you need to get on to chase him on the beach.

clav

Stoney Mason said:
No. Once you go on the roof you need to kill a few guys on the roof but there are also a bunch of guys on the ground that you have to kill. You are trying to work your way toward the colored circle which is where the mob boss is and where the bike is that you need to get on to chase him on the beach.
I'm talking about the entrance to the building. The part before Pegorino runs away.

Fine whatever. I guess I'll just make that suicide jump every time I need to find Pegorino to trigger the runaway cutscene, which brings you to the top.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Deconstruction sux. Get right to the end and die. Will hopefully do it next time round(3rd time) but I get to the end and my own grenade lands at my feet or some dumb shit. Love the game so far but the controls still aren't as intuitive as other shooters eg Uncharted, gears.

Sean

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Someone mind posting that map with the bridges that need to be flown under for the achievement? I'm missing one and have no clue where it could be. Please say it's not that bridge in middle park.

When you fly under one press start and check your map, they'll appear on there for a few seconds (set waypoints to it etc).

underradar.jpg

"Low Bridge" is probably going to piss you off. Must have tried that at least 10 times.

Sean said:
When you fly under one press start and check your map, they'll appear on there for a few seconds (set waypoints to it etc).

[IG]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/NDrag0n/underradar.jpg[/IMG]

"Low Bridge" is probably going to piss you off. Must have tried that at least 10 times.
Big, big thanks. I think the low bridge might be the one I missed since I only got three bridges in that area.

HaloFans said:
I'm talking about the entrance to the building. The part before Pegorino runs away.

Fine whatever. I guess I'll just make that suicide jump every time I need to find Pegorino to trigger the runaway cutscene, which brings you to the top.

To be honest I'm confused as to what you are talking about. The mission goes like this. You start at the cars. You kill everybody at the cars. You then go in the building. Kill everybody in the building. You start to go to the roof once you're inside the building which triggers a cutscene of Pegerino running away. You go to the roof and kill everybody on the roof. Then you kill everybody on the ground. Then you go to where Pegerino is which is near the boat and the bike. Peregerino takes the boat. You take the bike.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Man, I want to join this game end discussion, but I feel I'm a fair bit away. I just
met Bernie, aka Flavian

Very roughly, how far off am I?

You probably have about
20% to 15%
more to go I would guesstimate. I don't mean that % progress bar either in stats. It's probably less if you are going strictly by that count.

woodchuck

Stoney Mason said:
I could never Get Carmen's perk to work for me. Health always stayed the same.

same here.

i'd call her up and niko would say "hey baby. nurse me" or some shit like that. and carmen would just reply "rest for a minute".

wtf im in the middle of a gun fight

woodchuck said:
same here.

i'd call her up and niko would say "hey baby. nurse me" or some shit like that. and carmen would just reply "rest for a minute".

She would actually tell me stuff like put pressure on the wounds but I would always look at my health bar and it remained the same. Bitch ain't no nurse! ;)

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
woodchuck said:
same here.

It's never worked for me in any situation be it inside or outside of a mission. Her opinion of me is 100% so I'm guessing it's glitched or just completely useless.

okay so i just beat the game and for people that have beaten the game please answer me this:

are thier multiple endings? because my ending was, kate dies, i kill pegorino and the ending is very short almost non existent; cut to credits after i kill him. now im hearing there is a second different ending involving ROMAN if you chose the money instead of killing Dimitri

that ending was not very good. i hope there is another possible ending.

Brashnir

criesofthepast said:
okay so i just beat the game and for people that have beaten the game please answer me this:

are thier multiple endings? because my ending was, kate dies, i kill pegorino and the ending is very short almost non existent; cut to credits after i kill him. now im hearing there is a second ending if you chose the money instead of killing Dimitri

that ending was not very good. i hope there is another possible ending.

If you choose the money, Roman dies instead of Kate and you kill Dmitri in the last mission.

Brashnir

Himuro said:
The only REAL way to play a GTA game. Rushing the story yields only half the experience.

I prefer to do my random adventures after completing the story personally, but whatever works for you. =)

Steroyd

Himuro said:
Argh. Sometimes I hate GTAIV's weapon order.

I'm so used to Fist -> Melee -> Pistol -> Uzi -> Shotgun -> Sniper -> Heavy -> grenade/molotov

I just went for the shotgun and I realized I brought out the Sniper rifle instead. -_-

Why not use the shortcuts?

L1/LB + D-pad left/right/up/down

left = Pistol
Up = uzi/heavy rifle

can't remember what right and down does up and left is all that I need, I think right is shotgun and down is grenade.

Unlocking islands is such a non event.
I was doing missions on the second island for what must have been hours, and only when I looked at the map and saw
Derek
on the third island did I realize I could go there now. :lol

Brashnir said:
If you choose the money, Roman dies instead of Kate and you kill Dmitri in the last mission.

okay holy shit.
i wish i got that ending. i never even liked kate; serves her right for not putting out. losing roman seems like a much more emotional ending.

edit:
on second thought, i'd rather have roman around after the game. seems like the final ending scene is the same in both endings no matter what you choose. happy with my choice, but the ending still didn't do anything for me.

Narcosis

So I'm drinking with Roman, we get out and I can't find the car we came in, we're both falling over and I get hit by somebody as I stumble through the middle of the street.
As I stumble back up I decide to steal the car that just hit me and Roman comes along for the ride. Not only have I just got a wanted level for the cops noticing me driving drunk, but it goes up after I swerve to avoid a car and hit a police officer on the sidewalk. We go halfway across the first island, I'm ramming shit left and right with cops trying to nudge me, and as we smash through a tollbooth without paying Roman makes a comment that caused me to laugh:

"You drive like you're drunk!" :lol

Shit, I think the "Under The Radar" achievement might be bugged for me. I've flown under every bridge several times and just tried it again with the map, but no achievement. Those icons don't appear on my map, either.

Tiktaalik

I managed to sequence break and sneak into Algonquin by using a heavily shielded dump truck and squeezing through the barriers on the bridge. When inside I was actually able to avoid the police and helicopters, steal a super fast car, and get out of their sight. I was on the way to a pay and spray, when I noticed my 0 stars suddenly turn into 6 stars again. I guess I expected that. As well after I got out of my car the game decided to delete all the cars on the streets, which made it even harder.

I was waiting around in the subway for the next subway car with an assault rifle I got from a cop and a grenade I found on the street when the cops finally came for me. I took out 4 of them before they got me and I got the one man army achievement.

I'm guessing when you sneak into an area they turn off the mass transit too.

Fun!

bathala

Banned
I just took Little Jacob to a Comedy Show and got back using a taxi.

As we walk back to the marker and he starts talking about how good it was ---

he was cut short when he was run over by a car :lol (your friend is injured)

ElyrionX

Himuro said:
Just got to Algonquin. 38 hours clocked. First thing I'm dong here is buying new clothes. TWO clothing stores? Hell yeah!

Enjoy them while you can because you won't get any more of them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finncognito said:
Shit, I think the "Under The Radar" achievement might be bugged for me. I've flown under every bridge several times and just tried it again with the map, but no achievement. Those icons don't appear on my map, either.

They stop appearing once you've flown under a bridge already, so it's likely you just missed one bridge or more. I think there's a stat somewhere in the stats page that says how many bridges you've flown under. Try flying under the insanely low bridge in Alderney, maybe that's the one you missed.

The icons are temporary, if you've just flown under a bridge, they disappear from the compass and full map after a couple of seconds. You should get an achievement progress text top left if you fly under a new bridge 'x out of y bridges flown under'

Finncognito said:
I had a similar problem, but finally got it. For me, the far western bridge was a little glitchy - I got it after going under the section actually just south of the main bridge section. It didn't help that I didn't know that they would mark the map for a few seconds, so I ended up spending like 2 hours just randomly going under bridges.

At least now I can handle the copter pretty well :D

painey

I played free roam with my friend last night and he was in a Banshee driving to the Helipad and I was in a Chopper. As he drove near I angled my blades at the car and it literally THREW the banshee right off the pier :lol My friend bailed out mid air and shot me when he got up, i wasnt expecting it, i maneuvered too sharply to avoid fire and crashed in the sea miles from land and had to swim back :lol

Game Redeemed

Multiplayer. Mafiya Jobs. Me and a buddy of mine JJ. 30 minutes on the clock, restricted to one of the islands. Friendly fire on, cops on, heavy traffic, powerful weapons, heavy pedestrians. Fult tilt chaos at high speed.

Best game mode of the bunch IMNSFHO - its a mashup of steal this car, kill these dudes, deliver this package to this location, etc. with everybody out to do it first or kill everybody else who tries. Its the best damn drunken game playing I've ever experienced. Smirnoff and a fake russian accent says hello.

Mass explosions, intersection gunfights while hiding behind cars, running on foot and jumping over fences to get away from a pissed off player in an SUV who is hunting you down, slamming full tilt into other player's cars and flipping them over, firing your UZI through windshields. All the while trying to avoid that 3 star rating you picked up completing the last job.

Pure, unadulterated, chaos and mayhem. Love it. Love it. Theres nothing else like it. :)

cluto

The next time you get an NRG-900 or a Sanchez, go here, below the bridge roadway.

2eg9pvb.jpg

Even more awesome with multiple people.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Himuro said:
Just got to Algonquin. 38 hours clocked. First thing I'm dong here is buying new clothes. TWO clothing stores? Hell yeah!

Is that the large middle island? If so I just got there last night and bought some new threads, actually a few new suits. We should post pics of how our individual Nikos are dressed.

Im progressing slow because of multi-player but last night i speed through a lot of missions.

I have a question
why is there a yellow box outline to park your car infront of Playboy X's place? Will this be a new safehouse for Niko? And when do I receive or buy a new cell phone, I am dying to download ring tones.:D

Himuro said:
Modo is the best damn clothing store in a GTA. I bought out that whole damn store dammit!

Really? I didn't like Modo, now Persus is the place to go.

Sean

Banned
neojubei said:
I have a question
why is there a yellow box outline to park your car infront of Playboy X's place? Will this be a new safehouse for Niko? And when do I receive or buy a new cell phone, I am dying to download ring tones.:D

You will get the new cell phone very shortly during a mission with Playboy X. As for your safehouse question: potentially. Saying anything more would be a spoiler:
During an upcoming mission you will have a choice of killing Playboy or Dwayne. If you kill Playboy you get to keep his place as a safehouse, if you kill Dwayne then you get $25,000.

Revengeance said:
I had a similar problem, but finally got it. For me, the far western bridge was a little glitchy - I got it after going under the section actually just south of the main bridge section. It didn't help that I didn't know that they would mark the map for a few seconds, so I ended up spending like 2 hours just randomly going under bridges.

At least now I can handle the copter pretty well :D
Thanks, that did it. I had to fly under the bridge reinforcements for it to work. Silly of me to try flying under the part where the water flows.

Top Bottom