• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
vumpler said:
Hey guys I'm currently on the mission "pest control" I've failed it twice :lol This is the first time in the game that the enemy actually shoots back and HITS your vehicle :lol

If I take the quickest route to the end of the story how much longer do i have? At 52% right now I think.
still looking for an answer :D

Zyzyxxz

gah my character is stuck in a strip club after a lapdance... lame and now I dont wanna reload because its been a while since I last saved.

Tokubetsu

Anyone else having a bitch of a time connecting to MP games? Seems like if im not made the host, then im disconnected because of some player

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My player image is soccer mom, what do you guys have?

dreamer3kx said:
is there a point to the dates and keeping friends happy?

Different characters have different perks. Get a high rating and you can ask them for things. Roman can send a cab, Brucie can pick you up in a helicopter...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
vumpler said:
still looking for an answer :D

What do you do in it and who's it from? It sounds familiar but I can't remember.

dreamer3kx said:
is there a point to the dates and keeping friends happy?

You eventually get that friends perk which can be helpful.

Zyzyxxz said:
gah my character is stuck in a strip club after a lapdance... lame and now I dont wanna reload because its been a while since I last saved.

Switch to grenade and let it blow up in your hand?

jordan0386 said:
Next game. Dont loop the music stations. Just gimme songs, so I can hear random stuff. If I hear the Massive B intro one more time, Im going to kill myself.

Badda than them!Badda than them!Badda than them!Badda than them!Badda than them!

Reggae station with no Jah Cure. You have got to be kidding me.
lmao yea thats all that plays everytime I try and listen to massive B haha

voltron

So no one has any idea re: getting the sms cars from
Stevie
?

I got the first one and now I have no idea where to take it. I cant call the person as theyre not in my phone book and I cant respond or call from the sms.

I must be a dumb ass and missing something.

TheGreatDave said:
Different characters have different perks. Get a high rating and you can ask them for things. Roman can send a cab, Brucie can pick you up in a helicopter...

ok nice, how about the girls, anything there besides getting laid?

pj

Banned
voltron said:
So no one has any idea re: getting the sms cars from
Stevie
?

I got the first one and now I have no idea where to take it. I cant call the person as theyre not in my phone book and I cant respond or call from the sms.

I must be a dumb ass and missing something.

there's a new icon on your map, it's white, not colored like mission ones

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Papercuts said:
What do you do in it and who's it from? It sounds familiar but I can't remember.
Its for the mafia guy pegramo or whatever I believe. Its a car chase. Basically where I've done lots for bernie and I got the car from bernie's boyfriend. After that it just seems tedious. Just wondering how far along it sounds like I am.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dreamer3kx said:

It depends, I think in total you can get 5 girlfriends in the game, I only know of two with actual perks.

voltron

pj325is said:
there's a new icon on your map, it's white, not colored like mission ones

Holy shit thats ridiculous! You mean that garage icon? I just checked the map legend and thats there now but wasnt before.

I guess thats it. stupid

lol i just realized that that Weasel News station is pretty much Rockstar's way of dissing Fox News :lol

They always spread all this fud and sensationalize everything and the station being called weasel I can't help but shake the feeling that it's play on words to suggest this is Liberty city's version of fox news.

dreamer3kx said:
Alex: Discount on clothes
Carmen: [Tiny] Health regeneration
Kiki: Lose your wanted level [!]
Michelle:
Gets you in trouble.

Those are the ones I know.

zig

Papercuts said:
...seriously? So you can't get 100% if
basically any life or death "choice" is death? You need to keep everyone alive that you can?

If that's true that's the most fucked up thing ever.
Any character that can be killed in the story is not required to reach 100% completion (although they might be required for the No More Strangers achievement, not sure about that). These characters are
Jeff, Cherise, Clarence, and Ivan

voltron

CowboyAstronaut said:
lol i just realized that that Weasel News station is pretty much Rockstar's way of dissing Fox News :lol

They always spread all this fud and sensationalize everything and the station being called weasel I can't help but shake the feeling that it's play on words to suggest this is Liberty city's version of fox news.

:lol lttp much? Its kind of assumed by most to be Fox.

Zyzyxxz

Papercuts said:
Switch to grenade and let it blow up in your hand?

nah my character was stuck sitting on the chair with no hud coming up.

I could still access the menu though. I just turned it off, now I'm not gonna feel like playing for a few days after losing 2 hours of progress.

Brashnir

Zyzyxxz said:
nah my character was stuck sitting on the chair with no hud coming up.

I could still access the menu though. I just turned it off, now I'm not gonna feel like playing for a few days after losing 2 hours of progress.

how could you have progressed without the game autosaving? It saves after damn near everything, even dates. Just load the autosave.

Choc

Banned
vumpler said:
Its for the mafia guy pegramo or whatever I believe. Its a car chase. Basically where I've done lots for bernie and I got the car from bernie's boyfriend. After that it just seems tedious. Just wondering how far along it sounds like I am.

The end is nigh on your GTA experience.

I know I've said this many times, but my God, the graphics are gorgeous. I don't think I fully appreciated them until I got to the second island, but the lighting, effects, and models are all incredible. Even with the occasional pop-in, this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen.

Himuro said:
Here's a tip to keep perks without hanging out with them:

whenever they call, always answer and accept their invitation to hang out. BUT...immediately cancel plans. You won't lose points that way at all. Me and Roman haven't done anything in the longest but he's still 100 % because I cancel on him allllll the time.
Really? I thought cancelling plans gets a thumbs down.

Oh, and I just met Brucie. :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Ok I'm confused I was on my way to a mission and this blue person icon showed up on the map marked "friend". So I went over there to see what this was and some guy greeted me as if he knew me then he started to make fun of me and insult me. I responded by saying "you're a prick" and he goes on this tangent about america, hands me a hundred bucks then left. What the hell just happened?

Sean

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
Ok I'm confused I was on my way to a mission and this blue person icon showed up on the map marked "friend". So I went over there to see what this was and some guy greeted me as if he knew me then he started to make fun of me and insult me. I responded by saying "you're a prick" and he goes on this tangent about america, hands me a hundred bucks then left. What the hell just happened?

That's the first "random character" mission.

ElyrionX

Just finished it. Was kind of an anti-climatic ending. And those are some long credits.

I can't believe I finished the damn game in less than a week.

Brashnir

ElyrionX said:
Just finished it. Was kind of an anti-climatic ending. And those are some long credits.

I can't believe I finished the damn game in less than a week.

I didn't find the ending to be anti-climactic at all.

I thought it was tragic, but not anti-climactic.

ElyrionX

Major end-game spoilers!!!

How different does the game turn out if I had chosen to work with Dmitri instead of killing him? I assume that instead of you chasing and killing Pegorino in the final mission, it would be Dmitri instead. Would the mission location and structure even be different? Or would it merely be a polygon and voice swap?

Also, all those decisions to let people live instead of killing them. I don't see it having any effect for the whole game. Or were the consequences so subtle that they just completely flew over my head?

Shaheed79 said:
Ok and that's it? He just hands me some money and that is called a mission?

You'll see him again.

ElyrionX said:
Major end-game spoilers!!!

How different does the game turn out if I had chosen to work with Dmitri instead of killing him? I assume that instead of you chasing and killing Pegorino in the final mission, it would be Dmitri instead. Would the mission location and structure even be different? Or would it merely be a polygon and voice swap?

Also, all those decisions to let people live instead of killing them. I don't see it having any effect for the whole game. Or were the consequences so subtle that they just completely flew over my head?

From what I understand
instead of Kate dying, Roman gets killed. Kate never goes to the wedding because she's angry at you for dealing with Dimitri. As for the final battle. Instead of chasing a boat on a bike, you're in a boat chasing Dimitri. But you still jump Jacob's Heli and kill him on Happiness Island.

zig said:
Any character that can be killed in the story is not required to reach 100% completion (although they might be required for the No More Strangers achievement, not sure about that). These characters are
Jeff, Cherise, Clarence, and Ivan

Wait, so because I killed
Dwayne
I can't get 100%?

ok then I guess I missed 40% of the game when I went through the story missions.

Started a new game now, trying to get 100%, I wish they would tell you which are side missions and are not, the game is much easier the second time around.

ElyrionX

fistfulofmetal said:
From what I understand
instead of Kate dying, Roman gets killed. Kate never goes to the wedding because she's angry at you for dealing with Dimitri. As for the final battle. Instead of chasing a boat on a bike, you're in a boat chasing Dimitri. But you still jump Jacob's Heli and kill him on Happiness Island.

Holy crap.

Roman dies? WTF. I wasn't expecting that. Thank god I killed Dmitri. Kate is pretty annoying and I'd much rather see Roman live if I had to choose.

Any idea about the choices you make though? Like letting Darko lives and all that. Is that reflected in the game?

j-wood

I've seen this brought up in a few posts here and there...but is there a point I cross in the main story line where, if I haven't done some of the side stuff (such as dates, or side missions for Roman or Little Jacob) then I won't be able to get 100%? If I chose to kill one character over another, will it close off parts of the game to me?

Here's where I am in-game

Playboy just asked me to kill Dwayne. I haven't started the packie missions yet, I've done some of francis, and I haven't been to see michelle since she called.

Three Leaf Clover.

I loved it yet I hated it. I beat it on my second try and it was awesome... until the police chase. First, the game just told me to go back to Packie's place and I manage to do so with a car on the brink of being set on fire and only two working wheels... but then it says I have to lose my wanted level when I get there! Fuck! What came next was - I SHIT YOU NOT - a 20-fucking-minute police chase as police cars spawn everywhere at the absolute worst times. I've beaten three stars before in a lot less time, this felt impossible. I had to change cars three times and every single time I kept thinking about how fucking pissed I'd be if I died randomly and had to do this all over again.

Awesome mission, but FUCK.

_leech_ said:
Three Leaf Clover.

I loved it yet I hated it. I beat it on my second try and it was awesome... until the police chase. First, the game just told me to go back to Packie's place and I manage to do so with a car on the brink of being set on fire and only two working wheels... but then it says I have to lose my wanted level when I get there! Fuck! What came next was - I SHIT YOU NOT - a 20-fucking-minute police chase as police cars spawn everywhere at the absolute worst times. I've beaten three stars before in a lot less time, this felt impossible. I had to change cars three times and every single time I kept thinking about how fucking pissed I'd be if I died randomly and had to do this all over again.

Kiki made that part a cinch.

_leech_ said:
Three Leaf Clover.

Yeah, it's worthless when police cars spawn in places you can't avoid, or in too large numbers to avoid.

I love it when they spawn and because I notice they spawned I can go out of my way to avoid their path. That's a cool feeling.

Anyway, what was this about not being able to get 100% in certain situations? Can someone elaborate?

ElyrionX

BobFromPikeCreek said:
ARE YOU KIDDING? I was on the verge of taking her there, but decided it was a bad idea. Dammit.

Haha, no I'm not. She's just messed up like that. Most annoying bitch ever.

Go look for Alex Chilton if you want a decent and funny gf.

Top Bottom