• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Choc

Banned
Esperado said:
Just beat the game and
the thing that gets me is how he kills hundreds of guys without even so much as an ounce of remorse, yet when he gets to Darko and Pegorino suddenly he's got feelings. I mean, I just killed like 2 warehouses full of guys and then all of the sudden I'm supposed to feel bad when I'm killing the last guy? It's like they want to make the kill have a lot of weight to it, but they've already conditioned you to take killing lightly.

he loved kate/roman, that's what breaks him

zenbot said:
Yeah, this is the horrible thing. The game really shouldn't make your targets invincible, particularly when it instructs you to kill, rather than just chase them.

(Also, on that very mission: I wasted three rockets on that fucking boat before the chase even started. Fuck that boat.)

QFT. I hate missions like that. Just lame.

GhaleonEB

Just got a PR from Microsoft, thought I'd toss it in here because I didn't want to make a seperate thread (I'm sure someone will).

The Gamerscore Blog would like to congratulate Rockstar on the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV. GTA sold over 6 million units, and broke the entertainment record with over $500 million in sales.

We got some data from the US team, and we’re here to share that news with you:

Actual MS sales data from last week shows Xbox 360 console sales at retail went up 54% week-over-week as a result of GTA's success

According to retailers more than 60% of all GTA games sold in the first week were the Xbox 360 version

Retailers are telling us that the game is attaching strongly to new console sales, with roughly 40% of new consoles selling with a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV

Regarding Xbox LIVE:

In the first week, more than 2.3 million people played Grand Theft Auto IV on Xbox LIVE
GTA IV is now the number one played game on Xbox LIVE

Over the weekend, we saw the Xbox LIVE service reach 1 million concurrent users
Gamers have unlocked more than 12 million achievements worth over 100 million gamerscore points in GTA

Grand Theft Auto IV set a new record for time played, with the average gamer spending more than four hours playing the game on LIVE in the first week alone

MMaRsu

GhaleonEB said:
Just got a PR from Microsoft, thought I'd toss it in here because I didn't want to make a seperate thread (I'm sure someone will).

Hey man, just wondering, why don't you have it yet?

Not interested?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Brashnir said:
outrun doesn't literally mean you have to run. Is English not your first language?

a lot of people get confused by this. Guides even specifically mention that you should get out of the vehicle as you approach the end of the alert circle :p

GhaleonEB

MMaRsu said:
Hey man, just wondering, why don't you have it yet?

Not interested?
I've learned that I like sandbox games (Oblivion, Crackdown), but the premise, style and content in the GTA games turns me off. I saw it played at someone's house the other day and it looked pretty good - but I just don't have an interest in it.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
GhaleonEB said:

I said wow, can't wait to see the 360 exclusive DLC Rockstar cooks up.

Choc

Banned
the social experiments you can conduct in this game are amazing

I decided to beat a guy up and then call an ambulance to see what happens

2 mins later ambulance comes fixes the guy up, he recognises me and starts to try and punch me.

Juice

So I'm downloading the gta update on my ps3. Sorry for not searching (on my phone), but are there any release notes of what the patch does?

Darunia said:
a lot of people get confused by this. Guides even specifically mention that you should get out of the vehicle as you approach the end of the alert circle :p
Seriously? That's pretty pathetic for something that people pay like 20 bucks for.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Seriously? That's pretty pathetic for something that people pay like 20 bucks for.

ironing is delicious, again with the semantics :lol, I meant online achievement guides/gamefaqs stuff

JB1981

I just wanted to chime in and say this game has grown on me immensely and I am really enjoying it. The city is a stunning achievement and I am enjoying my time with the characters so far. It's almost relaxing to just pop this game in and become immersed in its world.

Gully State said:
Please oh please rockstar, give us server lists. I'm tired of playing 1 v1 cops vs crooks...

Even a proper matchmaking system without server lists would fix this also though. You don't have these problems in Halo 3 or COD 4.

burgerdog

Juice said:
So I'm downloading the gta update on my ps3. Sorry for not searching (on my phone), but are there any release notes of what the patch does?

From 1UP

After previously suggesting a multistep process to help alleviate such issues on the PlayStation 3, Rockstar Games today released a patch for the version, which is said to reduce strain on the GameSpy servers and thus eliminate the lockups.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
dagZ said:
So about that Zombie Character in Multiplayer. How do you get it, and can you get it on the 360?

I heard the 'let sleeping rockstars lie' achievement unlocks it (playing a mp game with a rockstar dev in one of the teams)

Stoney Mason said:
Even a proper matchmaking system without server lists would fix this also though. You don't have these problems in Halo 3 or COD 4.
AT LEAST let us choose if we want to join or host. I mean, come on. This system of hosting if you get lucky is retarded.

Just finished the game and here's my final thoughts. About the story, gameplay, city, DLC, everything.

Positives
- The attention to detail. Amazing. Pretty much every aspect. Tons of detail.
- Storyline and characters. Much better than previous GTA games, and any "free roaming" game really.
- Aiming system is much improved and shootouts are more fun than ever.
- Many small improvements and enhancements to the overall GTA formula.

Negatives
- As with the other GTA games, the middle feels kind of meh in comparison to the beginning or end.

Like I said above I liked the story and characters a lot more than previous GTA games, but the ending is kind of abrupt. Killing Dmitri in the end would have felt like more of a closure than killing Pegarino, even though Pegarino killed Kate. Didn't feel really attached to Kate, or Pegarino. Dmitri however, I did want to kill really bad and would have been a good closing note. But we kill him before, and the Pegarino. Just kind of strange.

So then...DLC?
My guess is that a lot of it will have to do with the Irish family. With Packie, Derrick and Gerry left. Dealing with the death of Kate. They, and Nico will probably be in the position to take over the city now. Maybe some stuff with the "Council" or whatever Pegarino was trying to get into. If that's how the DLC works. Kind of like new episodes.

So what are most people doing after they finish? I'm 65% complete or something like that. There a way to go back and do more stuff? Probably going to play some multiplayer since I haven't really touched it.

Add the gamertag "GAFGTAIV" to your friendslist so we can all play with eachother online. Just use the friend of a friend search feature to see which gaffers are playing.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
jasonbay said:
@ 52 hours gameplay.. is that about normal/below par/above par?
At clearing 100% completed and finishing all the achievements: 52 hours is Average-Below Par

52 hours and just finishing the game: Then I don't know where you lost 15 hours. I absolutely took my time and finished the game in 35 hours.

Coop

funkmastergeneral said:
Wow, Fourleaf Clover ended up being pretty easy, I went with full health and no armour my first time and beat it. It was pretty damn epic though.
I dont remember a mission called Fourleaf Clover but Three Leaf Clover was badass.

Also not sure how I feel about Liberty City as a whole. I think it feels more alive than any city of any free roaming game, again mostly due to the attention to detail. Every pedestrian looks different, they all act different, they do individual things, etc. But the city layout itself has it's ups and downs. I might even argue that it's not all that much better than the city in Crackdown as far as layout and design goes.

Coop said:
I dont remember a mission called Fourleaf Clover but Three Leaf Clover was badass.

Man whatever you know what I mean. After the buildup of everyone on here complaining about it I was expecting the mission to be some kind of unforgivable mistress, but you just gotta use cover and the AK-47

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What I am kinda disappointed in right now story wise (about 80-90% done I think) is that
apart from the wedding announcement, Roman has had little to no screentime in the second half. I realize that maybe they couldn't find ways to shoehorn him into the story anymore, but I like his presence. He kinda had a grounding function, a link between home and the US, making for some good conversations.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Himuro said:
I think mission variety is overrated. I think solid, powerful mission design is more important

I'm not really sure what "powerful" mission design is.

San Andreas does not have missions like this. At all.

I don't agree, but San Andreas makes up for it in other ways even if you're going to make this case. Nothing gets you better acquainted with the city than managing territory and buying up real estate.

I haven't played GTAIV's story nearly as much as you guys, but I don't see what lack of mission variety means in the least.

It means you do a lot of the same shit over and over. A lot. And there are fundamental problems with the gameplay of these missions.

It's far less important than mission design.

GTA IV does not have a wide variety of missions. What is so wonderful about its mission design? It's all relatively safe stuff in terms of the open world genre. Lots of driving, lots of chasing, some shooting mercifully sprinkled in. The shooting missions are quite good. For every Three Leaf Clover there are at least three I Need Your Clothes.

And if we're gonna dissect the mission "design," it's not particularly tight in a lot of these chase scenes either. You can't tell if your subject is vulnerable or not, which is the biggest problem, but on top of that the game relies heavily on the shooting while driving mechanic for when they are vulnerable. I find this control to be less than optimal for a number of reasons.

I played GTAIII a week before IV and I still think it's the magnum opus. The bigger they make the games the less they require you to master the games completely on all levels.

I don't think I agree here either. You're of course entitled to think 3 is the best, but San Andreas does so much to push you to learn the city than you are giving it credit for.

Esperado

ToyMachine228 said:
- As with the other GTA games, the middle feels kind of meh in comparison to the beginning or end.

Like I said above I liked the story and characters a lot more than previous GTA games, but the ending is kind of abrupt. Killing Dmitri in the end would have felt like more of a closure than killing Pegarino, even though Pegarino killed Kate. Didn't feel really attached to Kate, or Pegarino. Dmitri however, I did want to kill really bad and would have been a good closing note. But we kill him before, and the Pegarino. Just kind of strange.

I really felt like the first third of the game had so much momentum that it probably helped that the journalists went through so fast. For me, every time I got back on to play, the momentum was diminishing. I mean, the first third just felt so rich with content and by the end it just felt that every mission was just about killing more guys than the last. That, and the fact that a lot of the transitions in the story were so abrupt. I don't know how to describe it other than that because it really never felt like there was enough time between meeting someone and killing them to have any sort of relationship development. I was able to soldier on, but I'm not sure to what end it was. It's the first GTA game that I've ever beaten, but it's also the emptiest I've ever felt a GTA game was. I could probably attribute that to perhaps a different playstyle or moral changes as I've grown older. I've played every GTA from the first to this one and for some reason, this one feels the emptiest. Maybe I was overhyped or underhyped or was expecting some sort of GTA2-GTA3 like transition. GTA was always the game I pulled out when I just wanted to play and I'm not so sure this one will be the same. Well, I'll stop rambling on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm so fucking sick of these missions...Just did "payoff" and almost want to just stop entirely. No actual spoilers, but incase someone doesn't want to know what you do for a mission I'll cover it anyway.

Not only ANOTHER shitty chase, it's one of the godawful invincible AI ones that knock preset trucks and stuff out of the way, really dumb. Then you get to a cheap shootout, about 10 people completly covered by cars in an auto shop vs. you, take a SINGLE SHOT and get an instant two stars. I was getting shot at from all over and died.

Next try I go to buy a rocket launcher and bodyarmor. I tried to call little jacob but can't get guns from him anymore I guess, so oh joy I get to do more boring repetitive minigames to boost stats again, yay! Then reshittychase, then I go to take a shot. Niko instead smacks the air because there was someone nearby, which just my luck happened to be a police. I was freeaiming but I guess that doesn't matter, police aimed, I ran, two stars. The guys in the shop are shooting, police run me over, yadda yadda yadda.

So the third try I play it like a complete wimp, don't attack at all to not get stars, let the one police get shot up. Call 911 a few times, never worked, an ambulance came and one of the guys stole it for some reason and I was able to shoot him fine. To not get stars I had to ram my car into the shop to knock the other cars into the guys inside, and eventually they died, and I nearly did too.

What the fuck was on Rockstar's mind with these missions? Barely any variety, not fun for the most part, lack of mid-mission check points add nothing but frustration, and the story just stops again and again while you do random missions so it all feels pointless. I wanted to replay after I finished to see the second ending and make all of my choices different, and here I am not even wanting to finish once.

Y2Kev

Papercuts said:
I'm so fucking sick of these missions...Just did "payoff" and almost want to just stop entirely.

Not only ANOTHER shitty chase, it's one of the godawful invincible AI ones that knock preset trucks and stuff out of the way, really dumb. Then you get to a cheap shootout, about 10 people completly covered by cars in an auto shop vs. you, take a SINGLE SHOT and get an instant two stars. I was getting shot at from all over and died.

Next try I go to buy a rocket launcher, then reshittychase, then I go to take a shot. Niko instead smacks the air because there was someone nearby, which just my luck happened to be a police. I was freeaiming but I guess that doesn't matter, police aimed, I ran, two stars. The guys in the shop are shooting, police run me over, yadda yadda yadda.

So the third try I play it like a complete wimp, don't attack at all to not get stars, let the one police get shot up. Call 911 a few times, never worked, an ambulance came and one of the guys stole it for some reason and I was able to shoot him fine. To not get stars I had to ram my car into the shop to knock the other cars into the guys inside, and eventually they died, and I nearly did too.

What the fuck was on Rockstar's mind with these missions? Barely any variety, not fun for the most part, lack of mid-mission check points add nothing but frustration, and the story just stops again and again while you do random missions so it all feels pointless. I wanted to replay after I finished to see the second ending and make all of my choices different, and here I am not even wanting to finish once.

Ouch, payoff is pretty....um....well there's no pay off *bu dum pish*.

Variety is the spice of life, and in many ways the backbone of GTAIV is regular oatmeal.

edit: We are coming out of the woodwork :lol

I've played 41 hours, and I think I'm done with playing this properly. I'm just sick to death of doing the same thing over and over again. The missions are just the same things in different locations over and over. Chasing a car is NOT FUN.

Esperado said:
I really felt like the first third of the game had so much momentum that it probably helped that the journalists went through so fast. For me, every time I got back on to play, the momentum was diminishing.

I agree. A lot of stuff just disappears too. Gravelli, Gerry, Derrick, Packie. Maybe they're saving the further of their stories for DLC, but it just feels too abrupt. And like I said, the development of the rivalry with Dmitri would have seemed a better closing point for the game than Pegarino. I never felt close to Pegarino or that I really hated him. Yes, he killed Kate, but I didn't feel close to Kate either. It's just like...All these missions involving Dmitri's men, and heated phone calls, and then I killed him and then...Pegarino just kills Kate, you kill him, and the game's over. So what. It just felt like a sequence of events, not vengeance, or a culmination of anything

jakncoke

Banned
vumpler said:
At clearing 100% completed and finishing all the achievements: 52 hours is Average-Below Par

52 hours and just finishing the game: Then I don't know where you lost 15 hours. I absolutely took my time and finished the game in 35 hours.

You misunderstood me. I didn't beat the game in that amount of time( in fact I'm at like 34%) .. I was just wondering if ppl killed the amount of hours I played so far.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Y2Kev said:
Ouch, payoff is pretty....um....well there's no pay off *bu dum pish*.

Variety is the spice of life, and in many ways the backbone of GTAIV is regular oatmeal.

edit: We are coming out of the woodwork :lol

Seriously, I have never had this problem with GTA games until now. I'm at around 45 hours and this is pacing myself, I've been doing a bunch of the side stuff to break it up, and it still feels like the same crap again and again. I'm having more fun doing the police most wanted lists than the actual missions.

Brashnir

ToyMachine228 said:
I agree. A lot of stuff just disappears too. Gravelli, Gerry, Derrick, Packie. Maybe they're saving the further of their stories for DLC, but it just feels too abrupt. And like I said, the development of the rivalry with Dmitri would have seemed a better closing point for the game than Pegarino. I never felt close to Pegarino or that I really hated him. Yes, he killed Kate, but I didn't feel close to Kate either. It's just like...All these missions involving Dmitri's men, and heated phone calls, and then I killed him and then...Pegarino just kills Kate, you kill him, and the game's over. So what. It just felt like a sequence of events, not vengeance, or a culmination of anything

If you choose to work with Dmitri on the money or revenge choice, he double crosses you on it, then kills Roman at the wedding, and the final mission has you killing Dmitri. Sounds like you chose the wrong path for the ending you wanted

Bebpo

Banned
I'm not sure why, but as much as I try immersing myself in this world I just don't get the "I'm there" feeling that I get in Crackdown and Just Cause.

GTAIV has more things going on in the city, more people, cars, better lighting (well JC has pretty nice lighting too). But I dunno I just feel like I'm in Silent Hill Sandbox. You're in a city, but you can't do anything but walk/drive around the streets. There are all these cool looking buildings with signs and stuff...but you can't go in them. If you're not doing missions and you just want to live the life, it just feels like there isn't much to do after a little while besides walk around or drive around. You can look for pigeons, but they're not that easy to spot. It just feels like all the buildings could be changed from stores to texture-less lego blocks and it would be the same since they don't affect anything.

I just felt like I had a lot more freedom in Crackdown (jumping through stunt rings, finding agility orbs, leveling up items) and JC (parachuting, driving through jungles, driving boats & swimming underwater, flying helicopters around).

GTAIV is great for the missions. I'm really liking them and the story, but I mainly play sandbox games to not do the story and just have fun living in the city and GTAIV is really not doing much for me. I climb onto the mono-rail tracks and run around and jump onto rooftops, but Niko's running jump sucks and I can't make most jumps :(

Ryuuga

Banned
Himuro said:
I'm close to 50 hours and still haven't finished the story. In fact, I just unlocked Algonquin.

This is exactly how I'm playing it. Of course, I lost the achievement I would've gotten for beating it in 30 hrs, but I don't mind too much. Just going around learning everything that I possibly can in between MP and SP sessions.

Y2Kev

Bebpo said:
I'm not sure why, but as much as I try immersing myself in this world I just don't get the "I'm there" feeling that I get in Crackdown and Just Cause.

GTAIV has more things going on in the city, more people, cars, better lighting (well JC has pretty nice lighting too). But I dunno I just feel like I'm in Silent Hill Sandbox. You're in a city, but you can't do anything but walk/drive around the streets. There are all these cool looking buildings with signs and stuff...but you can't go in them. If you're not doing missions and you just want to live the life, it just feels like there isn't much to do after a little while besides walk around or drive around. You can look for pigeons, but they're not that easy to spot. It just feels like all the buildings could be changed from stores to texture-less lego blocks and it would be the same since they don't affect anything.
This is the definition of Crackdown, though. None of the buildings have interiors. You can just jump on the textureless legos.

I just felt like I had a lot more freedom in Crackdown (jumping through stunt rings, finding agility orbs, leveling up items) and JC (parachuting, driving through jungles, driving boats & swimming underwater, flying helicopters around).

Well, you can do a lot of that in GTA, but (unsurprisingly) the whole package was oversold by the press in terms of what you can do. I think GameTrailers said that many of the small minigames (darts, pool) were big enough so that they could potentially be sold as their own games.

Allow me to puke.

GTAIV is great for the missions.

How far are you?

I think GTA IV feels more repetitive because San Andreas had so many different missions with really different characters in three very different cities along with a huge number of other distractions. In trying to make things more realistic, Rockstar have made GTA a bit more boring. I really like GTA IV but I think I will ultimately remember San Andreas and parts of Vice City more fondly. I look forward to seeing where R* go next with GTA, hopefully they will create something with as much content as San Andreas. Don't get me wrong, GTA IV is excellent but I do feel something is lacking when I think of the variety of SA.

Top Bottom