• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I had NO IDEA the destruction models were this detailed.

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

Bernie
<3

Himuro said:
Unlocked the central island and it was a total non event.

Agreed. I didn't even realize it until I looked at the map and realized X was taking me across the bridge. There definitely seems to be a... flat spot in the pace after you get
double crossed by Dimitri

Still the first time I went through Times Square... :-0. For a game this huge to have graphics (and acting and voice) this good is amazing. I really am impressed with how DVD9 has been able to handle everything in this game. Must be using insane compression.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Himuro said:
I agree there. The story was soooo good early on. Now it feels like vintage GTA. Like I'm doing stuff for random people. Although they're good an all, they aren't as interesting as Vlad or Mikhail or Dimitri. I wonder when it picks up again.

Yeah I agree with that. It's still really good (close to the end here), but nowhere near as great as the beginning. You do get to know one family and all its members pretty well.

Pharmacy

Banned
Himuro said:
Yeah. In IV there's not even any gangs. So disappointing.

- No distinct gangs
- No gangcars
- No gangcar round up
- Car rounds-ups, but without the element of unlocking some unique vehicles after you've done them or being able to order any of the vehicles
- No emergency vehicle roundup / import-export crane
- Terrible hidden packages, GTA3 had a weapon for every 10 packages found, now its 200 fucking pidgeons for a helicopter
- No fire missions and therefore no flamethrower or flameproof
- No ambulance missions and therefore no extended health or stamina pill
- Cop missions, but no armour bonus
- Taxi missions, but not optional ones that unlock the Borgnine Taxi
- No payphone missions
- No carsalesman missions that unlock unique vehicles you can only get in one place in the game
- No one-off bulletproof vehicles
- Even if there are bulletproofs, you cant push the wreckage to your garage, because there arent garages
- Poor superjumps

The problem with GTA4 is that is has a pretty good story, but nothing else to do or unlock. I could sit here and bitch and bitch about it and I feel really down about how much of a step-back it is, or how realism has ruined everything, but when I play it, I like it.

Catch 22

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I've noticed that the south bohan safehouse tends to spawn one or two of the vehicle you're driving right near it and around the corner near the bridge. Really helps if you've got an Infernus or Banshee that you want to get a bunch of.

By the way, the lime-green Infernus is the most badass car in the game.

Chris R

I hate 4chan :( I was just over there last night and I think I had "ending" spoiled for me, and if it isn't the ending then it has to be a major point in the game :<

MMaRsu

rhfb said:
I hate 4chan :( I was just over there last night and I think I had "ending" spoiled for me, and if it isn't the ending then it has to be a major point in the game :<

Check your PM :)

Darunia said:
Well, Ricky Gervais is pretty terrible in it

Haven't bumped into him yet, but outside of GTA IV, does Gervais even DO stand-up? Don't get me wrong - the guy's is pure genius. But stand-up? Wouldn't he have been better off in some kind of TV show?

sparky2112 said:
Haven't bumped into him yet, but outside of GTA IV, does Gervais even DO stand-up? Don't get me wrong - the guy's is pure genius. But stand-up? Wouldn't he have been better off in some kind of TV show?

He's done specials in the UK, I believe.

BPK

So.....I'm on the fence about getting this game. Like most of you I was uber hyped for GTA before it came out. Over the last week I've been out of town and thus have not played the game. Upon returning, and upon reading this thread, it seems that the game has mildly disappointed a lot of you (perhaps too much hype). Is it too early to give a final verdict GAF? (I'm on ps3 if it matters)

Doc Evils

CoLaN said:

I rike it.

BPK said:
So.....I'm on the fence about getting this game. Like most of you I was uber hyped for GTA before it came out. Over the last week I've been out of town and thus have not played the game. Upon returning, and upon reading this thread, it seems that the game has mildly disappointed a lot of you (perhaps too much hype). Is it too early to give a final verdict GAF? (I'm on ps3 if it matters)

buy it.

Cedeo

sparky2112 said:

Yes, three stand-up tours - but its suited a British audience.

Y2Kev

I think the game has too many missions. There are too many chase missions. :(

The crazy mission variety of San Andreas is just not here. But I guess what is here is a bit more polished (though still not perfect). If I get one more mission with...oh shit they are making a break for it!!!...i'm gonna make a break for it.

The good news is that I am definitely replaying San Andreas when I'm done with IV.

Pharmacy said:
- No distinct gangs
- No gangcars
- No gangcar round up
- Car rounds-ups, but without the element of unlocking some unique vehicles after you've done them or being able to order any of the vehicles
- No emergency vehicle roundup / import-export crane
- Terrible hidden packages, GTA3 had a weapon for every 10 packages found, now its 200 fucking pidgeons for a helicopter
- No fire missions and therefore no flamethrower or flameproof
- No ambulance missions and therefore no extended health or stamina pill
- Cop missions, but no armour bonus
- Taxi missions, but not optional ones that unlock the Borgnine Taxi
- No payphone missions
- No carsalesman missions that unlock unique vehicles you can only get in one place in the game
- No one-off bulletproof vehicles
- Even if there are bulletproofs, you cant push the wreckage to your garage, because there arent garages
- Poor superjumps

The problem with GTA4 is that is has a pretty good story, but nothing else to do or unlock. I could sit here and bitch and bitch about it and I feel really down about how much of a step-back it is, or how realism has ruined everything, but when I play it, I like it.

Catch 22

Agreed.

I am really hoping that GTA5 or GTA: whatever comes out pretty soon. I don't mean this year, but a gap similar to GTA3 and GTAVC.

Wollan said:
I don't understand how you're able to go back.

play it on PC.

Y2Kev said:
I think the game has too many missions. There are too many chase missions. :(

The crazy mission variety of San Andreas is just not here. But I guess what is here is a bit more polished (though still not perfect). If I get one more mission with...oh shit they are making a break for it!!!...i'm gonna make a break for it.

The good news is that I am definitely replaying San Andreas when I'm done with IV.

yeah, there is very little mission variety in GTA4 with the exception of a few fantastic ones (like, very few).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
:lol :lol :lol :lol

You know how you can call Roman for a cab? Well the fucking cab driver was insulting Niko again for the third time, so I got so sick of him that when he dropped me off I took my handgun out and shot him in the head through the rear glass, his head bopped forward and landed on the horn: DEAD!

I wonder if he's really dead for good now?

bud

Wollan said:

seriously. i tried playing sa a while ago, and i couldn't last longer than, like, 10 minutes. the first thing that'll instantly make you quit playing is the draw distance--it's really, really bad. and playing it after iv will only make it worse, i'd say.

Y2Kev

Wollan said:

Dunno. I am gonna play the Xbox version instead of the PS2...that should get me a workable framerate.

And frankly I won't have trouble adjusting to non-boat human control (though it no longer bothers me in GTA4) and I never had any problem with aiming in the old GTAs. I never understood people complaining, lol.

Linkzg said:
play it on PC.

yeah, there is very little mission variety in GTA4 with the exception of a few fantastic ones (like, very few).

I have a Mac and no copy of windows. :\

And there are some missions in GTA4 that are spectacular and actually work better than anything in the old GTAs because the systems work so well-- cover, free aim, etc. Missions I've loved have even included chase missions, but there are too many of them and that some of the escapees are INVINCIBLE before they hit a certain point makes it less a chase mission and more a "follow" mission.

San Andreas had crazy, crazy shit. Stealing combines, burning weed plants, stealth killing missions, gang territory grabs, drive bys, nice variety of chase missions, robberies, etc. Now San Andreas can be one of the most frustrating games of all time, which so far GTA4 has not really been for me. But the game is sooooo sooo watered down. Maybe at the expense of polish and focus on characterization.

San Andreas was really something.

BeeDog

Y2Kev said:
Dunno. I am gonna play the Xbox version instead of the PS2...that should get me a workable framerate.

And frankly I won't have trouble adjusting to non-boat human control (though it no longer bothers me in GTA4) and I never had any problem with aiming in the old GTAs. I never understood people complaining, lol.

I have a Mac and no copy of windows. :\

And there are some missions in GTA4 that are spectacular and actually work better than anything in the old GTAs because the systems work so well-- cover, free aim, etc. Missions I've loved have even included chase missions, but there are too many of them and that some of the escapees are INVINCIBLE before they hit a certain point makes it less a chase mission and more a "follow" mission.

San Andreas had crazy, crazy shit. Stealing combines, burning weed plants, stealth killing missions, gang territory grabs, drive bys, nice variety of chase missions, robberies, etc. Now San Andreas can be one of the most frustrating games of all time, which so far GTA4 has not really been for me. But the game is sooooo sooo watered down. Maybe at the expense of polish and focus on characterization.

San Andreas was really something.

You echo my sentiments exactly. A shame really. :/

Flunkie

Banned
Pharmacy said:
- No payphone missions
These two are questionable. A little later on in the game, you get some payphone missions; and there aren't garages, but there are parking spaces.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
How do i get into the story gang on the social club? I completed the storyline already

Teknoman

Y2Kev said:

Boat human controls?, also because auto aim being mandatory sucks no matter what.

Y2Kev

Teknoman said:
Boat human controls?, also because auto aim being mandatory sucks no matter what.

Niko has a turning radius. As if he were a car. Going up a staircase is maddening. :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I hate the chase missions because

- they show up too frequently
- I never know whether it's okay to start shooting on my target or not. Like in Big Gay Bernie's Big Gay Boatride I was firing at the boat, but of course it has absolutely no effect, since the crew has to get on land before you kill them. In other missions it's possible to kill your opponent early on.

I have only 10 missions left and I hope I've seen the last of those chases and the rest are all shoot-out missions, since those all rule in this game

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
How the hell am I supposed to do the "Walk Hard" achievement? Outrunning the cops with a 4-star wanted level? :lol

Wollan said:

It is exceedingly difficult although the one that is playable is SA. The original is nearly impossible to play in this day and age. Vice City which I'm playing now is barely playable in the sense that it still is missing so very much and the controls are so archaic and the world geometry is so simple. SA is a huge leap by comparison as I went back and tried all of them just to refresh my memory after beating GTA 4.

The two biggest leaps have been both SA and GTA 4 so this bodes well for the next game as they are improving all the time. Like I keep repeating it's funny to go back and play the old ones and realize how far the series has come.

Y2Kev

I agree that GTA3 is really rough around the edges. Vice City is a little annoying to play. San Andreas is totally comfortable for me, though the framerate is shiteous on the ps2 version.

funkmastergeneral said:
Any of you guys do the street mission for that blonde girl who just got divorced? that was strange...

I don't know that one but the
Marnie mission while simple
was weird but in a cool way. It's like it was out of a Dickens novel or something. I hope they do more weird one off stuff like that in the future.

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kev said:

I'll join you. I never got around to playing SA and while IV is fun, I'd really like all the crazy stuff that was in SA, so I think I'll play that after IV too.

I wish Rockstar would hook up with Realtime Worlds and have a Crackdown guy DLC for GTAIV where you can platform across the roof tops of the city to collect agility orbs.

Y2Kev said:
I agree that GTA3 is really rough around the edges. Vice City is a little annoying to play. San Andreas is totally comfortable for me, though the framerate is shiteous on the ps2 version.

Yeah I booted up GTA 3 on the Xbox and it is amusing how shit looking it is and controls. :lol

Vice City looks better but still looks pretty bad so I decided to play it on the PC where at least you get a texture and polygon upgrade. But it still has very simple geometry. When you boot up SA though, that is where it takes a big leap. The car controls a bit better and the world geometry is a lot more complex. It actually sort of looks like a real word unlike the prior two which sort of look like rectangle and box minimalist representations of a city in retrospect (and I'd imagine even better on a PC although I don't have that one on the PC)

EDIT: Also I had forgotten that you couldn't free control the camera with the right analog stick as you walk or drive a car in GTA 3 or Vice City. That seems amazing to me now...

zenbot

Darunia said:
- I never know whether it's okay to start shooting on my target or not. Like in Big Gay Bernie's Big Gay Boatride I was firing at the boat, but of course it has absolutely no effect, since the crew has to get on land before you kill them. In other missions it's possible to kill your opponent early on.
Yeah, this is the horrible thing. The game really shouldn't make your targets invincible, particularly when it instructs you to kill, rather than just chase them.

(Also, on that very mission: I wasted three rockets on that fucking boat before the chase even started. Fuck that boat.)

Doc Evils

flunkie4455 said:
These two are questionable. A little later on in the game, you get some payphone missions; and there aren't garages, but there are parking spaces.

the problem with parking spaces is that when you are doing a random chase, there is a high chance you might smash into the cars and move them out of the box, thus getting getting lost forever.

Hell I even had a scene once where a cop was chasing me and he STOLE my freaking car in the parking space! argh.

Top Bottom