• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Esperado said:
Yeah, it's just something that seemed really off putting to me. I really don't think this was the game that Rockstar set out to make. Based on early previews and stuff you can really tell a lot of things are missing. Maybe they had too much ambition. I wonder what route they'll go with their next game or even with the DLC because for some reason I feel like Liberty City isn't done. I'm not sure whether I'd like them to fully flesh out Liberty City or to go on to the next city.

I disagree. I think they made exactly the game they wanted (single player I mean) within the confines of a dev schedule where things drop off based on a time schedule. Going back and playing Vice City, it really is amazing how the realistic tone of the game is radically different than what it was before.

Does anyone have a screen cap of the pause map? In as much detail as possible would be great.

I can't find it on the
google
internets.

painey

cant get that fuckin 5 roll achievement. I swear I got my Police car to do 7 rolls.. obviously not registering if the angle of roll is incorrect.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
painey said:
cant get that fuckin 5 roll achievement. I swear I got my Police car to do 7 rolls.. obviously not registering if the angle of roll is incorrect.

Yeah I seriously don't get how you're even supposed to get that one. Although I must say I have not dedicated much playtime to finding ways to crash my car.

Also the 'blow 10 cars up in 10 seconds' isn't working for me either. Maybe I should just store a few cars on a lot and spam rockets into the heap

ShinAmano

riskVSreward said:
Does anyone have a screen cap of the pause map? In as much detail as possible would be great.

I can't find it on the
google
internets.
So you want a better pic of the map or one from in game?

Wiggum2007

I have a storyline question:

I just completed the mission where you have to
go to the warehouse in Bohan and save Roman after Dimitri texts you a picture of him all tied up.... anyways after the mission when you get back to the safehouse a cutscene plays where Roman says we need to lay low and stay away from the Russian mafia, and Niko says something like 'Fine, but I've still got to deal with Darko and Florian'. I think I may have missed something earlier, who the heck are Darko and Florian? Are they the two other soldiers that survived and that Niko is looking for?
Keep in mind the point I'm at in the game and try to answer without spoiling anything that comes later.

rjcc

Wiggum2007 said:

go to the warehouse in Bohan and save Roman after Dimitri texts you a picture of him all tied up.... anyways after the mission when you get back to the safehouse a cutscene plays where Roman says we need to lay low and stay away from the Russian mafia, and Niko says something like 'Fine, but I've still got to deal with Darko and Florian'. I think I may have missed something earlier, who the heck are Darko and Florian? Are they the two other soldiers that survived and that Niko is looking for?
Keep in mind the point I'm at in the game and try to answer without spoiling anything that comes later.

I cuaght that as well, I'm pretty sure I listened to everything, I don't think he had mentioned their names previously.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Wiggum2007 said:

Yes you have it exactly right. They are the two other soldiers that survived.

painey

Darunia said:
Yeah I seriously don't get how you're even supposed to get that one. Although I must say I have not dedicated much playtime to finding ways to crash my car.

Also the 'blow 10 cars up in 10 seconds' isn't working for me either. Maybe I should just store a few cars on a lot and spam rockets into the heap

I tried this, but by the time i stole my 5th car and drove it to the rest of them I got a wanted level, i got out of the radius to escape the police and when i came back all the cars except the last one i jacked had gone. not happy.

Darunia said:
Times Square + Tour Buses blocking traffic +
Packie Car Bomb on one end
+ Rocket Launcher on the other end = Achievement Unlocked.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
sublime085 said:
Times Square + Tour Buses blocking traffic +
Packie Car Bomb on one end
+ Rocket Launcher on the other end = Achievement Unlocked.

that sounds awesome, might try that method

ShinAmano

painey said:
I tried this, but by the time i stole my 5th car and drove it to the rest of them I got a wanted level, i got out of the radius to escape the police and when i came back all the cars except the last one i jacked had gone. not happy.
Stand in the middle of an intersection...call the cops, the fire dept and an ambulance...the traffic will back up and you will be good to go. I just stood in a turning lane and the backup was at least 20 cars deep.

I'm putting this game down for a while because of the lack of mission checkpoints. I just can't keep wasting tons of time restarting a mission and doing errands back and forth just to get back to the same place and die again and lose another $5,000 on medical bills.

I wish Rockstar would patch this game with checkpoints after every load screen.

Won

How do throw grenades out of cover? I'm at the last pack of the missions and died because the grenade bounced off the cover (once again) and died after spending 30 mins with plowing through enemies. -.-
Tried with auotaim, but Niko just rolls it, which makes it pointless against targets in cover. And with free aim it makes *klonk**boom**loading...*

Hootie

Can anyone tell me exactly what happens if you *Ending Spoilers*
decide to do the deal for Dmitri? What happens during the final mission? I ended up killing Dmitri instead of doing the deal and would like to know what happens.

What the hell?

Finish Him is the most retarded achievement ever, as despite how good I might be at countering people, the police always come. Seriously, the police are everywhere. I don't even understand how crime lasts in a town so saturate by cops. There's literally nowhere I can go to fight at least five guys without the cops interjecting after two guys, if not the first guy. I'll be under a bridge somewhere fighting bums and the cops will show up. It's fucking stupid. Grr.

Anyone have tips for this achievement? I'm so tired of it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Himuro said:
She does? Good. I take people there and it seems me and Roman are the only one who likes it! :lol

They're like,"How can you enjoy this stuff?"

Well, Ricky Gervais is pretty terrible in it

Digital Limit said:
What the hell?

Finish Him is the most retarded achievement ever, as despite how good I might be at countering people, the police always come. Seriously, the police are everywhere. I don't even understand how crime lasts in a town so saturate by cops. There's literally nowhere I can go to fight at least five guys without the cops interjecting after two guys, if not the first guy. I'll be under a bridge somewhere fighting bums and the cops will show up. It's fucking stupid. Grr.

Go to a hospital and harrass people there. That's how I did it, fought 5 guys, 2 counters each. There's also a first aid kit there if you should run low on health from some failed countering.

Hootie

Digital Limit said:
What the hell?

Helicopter Touring area says hello. It takes a hell of a lot longer for the cops to reach you from the heli-pads on that concrete peninsula.

You could always just call up Kiki if you get a wanted level, too.

Hootie

Digital Limit said:
I'm going to go and try that now, thanks.

You'll still almost be guarenteed to get a wanted level, it will just take them longer to reach you. You can always steal a helicopter and fly out of the circle until they leave, then return. Theres also a hot dog stand in front of the touring building to get back your health. Just DON'T attack the guys standing still on the heli pad area with the orange jackets, they will destroy you in a fist fight. Go during the day and attack the peds trying to take the tours.

I just went playing darts with Roman and at the end when I dropped him off at home he didnt get out of the car. Instead, he beat me out of the car and said "this is my car now".

WTF??!?!

GQman2121

Banned
I just want to say that I hate every one of you mother fuckers on the PSN with out a headset.

You're always the host. You always keep auto-aim on. You never know the rules of the mode your playing, yet some how your always the boss in CnC.

I also want to give a big fuck you to Rock Star for apparently never playing an online shooter before. Not having the ability to vote or mute the few people who want to use their mics, but only to fuck with people during a game is inexcusable. Please patch that, and disable auto-aim as default...........

I’m absolutely loving the online modes, but it’s just the smallest little things that are holding it back from being truly amazing.

Tokubetsu

I really wish MS would do something about this NAt fucking bullshit. My NAT is open yet i can't seem to play with people who have closed ones. Hell, instead of dropping them it drops me and gives me some "lost connection with a player" error or just straight up tells me that game session no longer exists which i know isn't true. I just want to play some fucking multiplayer man, christ. Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't kick all the way back to fucking singleplayer everytime i get one of these messages.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hootie said:
You'll still almost be guarenteed to get a wanted level, it will just take them longer to reach you.

I spent quite some time there beating up people and I never got a wanted level, maybe because the hospital was isolated dunno. All I know is that it worked like a charm for me

Leonsito

A question about two characters that interfere one with each other, at about 37% in the game:

I made the first mission with Playboy X, I think it is destruction for beginners, and then made the first mission of Dwayne, the one when you have to go to kill a friend that got his money and is waiting outside of the arcade with a girl, I choose to not kill the girl. Should I have killed her?

And I know that sooner or later I'm going to decide between Playboy X or Dwayne, what should I do ?

Btw, how is the Bradygames guide? I'm going to use it for the pigeons.

So, I went to the helipad place and couldn't counter one attack from one of the guys and he ended up killing me :lol

But yeah, then I respawned and did like 6 counters on some random people and got the achievement.

I guess I had enough counters in before I tried your method or something, heh.

Leonsito said:
A question about two characters that interfere one with each other, at about 37% in the game:

I made the first mission with Playboy X, I think it is destruction for beginners, and then made the first mission of Dwayne, the one when you have to go to kill a friend that got his money and is waiting outside of the arcade with a girl, I choose to not kill the girl. Should I have killed her?

And I know that sooner or later I'm going to decide between Playboy X or Dwayne, what should I do ?

Btw, how is the Bradygames guide? I'm going to use it for the pigeons.

Why don't you just play the game without searching for the "best" solutions.

Darunia said:
I spent quite some time there beating up people and I never got a wanted level, maybe because the hospital was isolated dunno. All I know is that it worked like a charm for me

Which hospital were you at? I spawned at the Algonquin one and that's where I managed to finally get the achievement. I know the Dukes one is worthless as it's right next to a police station, and I forget what my problem was with the Alderney one. Bad luck, probably.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Digital Limit said:
Which hospital were you at? I spawned at the Algonquin one and that's where I managed to finally get the achievement. I know the Dukes one is worthless as it's right next to a police station, and I forget what my problem was with the Alderney one. Bad luck, probably.

dunno, but I do remember it not being in a very populated area (lots of trees, not many people outside).

Deconstruction for Beginners was one of the best GTA missions. I can imagine that one can be played in numerous ways.

Well if you think that now, I'd like to hear what you have to say of at least 3 other shoot out centric missions that follow. The best is yet to come

MMaRsu

Digital Limit said:
What the hell?

Yeah I was stuck on this one too, best answer : Happiness Island :).

Fight the hotdog vendors, they always fight you :).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BobTheFork said:
I thought it was because some of those decisions can keep you from getting 100% complete.

they don't. Rockstar has designed it in such a way that each choice won't stop you from getting 100%, even if letting that one person live nets you more missions. These won't factor into the total

Leonsito

Darunia said:
they can't. Rockstar has designed it in such a way that each choice won't stop you from getting 100%, even if letting that one person live nets you more missions. These won't factor into the total

That's true ? Or I'm going to fuck the 100% with this ? :-S

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Leonsito said:
That's true ? Or I'm going to fuck the 100% with this ? :-S

I have looked at the 100% rundown and every character excluded there attests to that. You might encounter very minor characters you let live again in a random mission, but these won't factor into 'meet every random character (eg cokehead Brian)'. They're excluded, so you can do them or not, won't matter. Same with bigger choices.

Top Bottom