• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
All I really keep it on is "The Journey". What sucks is that the song selection isn't as much on that channel, so you'll hear the same song 15 Minutes out or so. Other than that, Talk Radio and Commercials

atomsk

Party Pooper
L.C.H.C has my favorite station identifier jingle

LIBERTY CITY HARDCORE
LIBERTY CITY HARDCORE
LIBERTY CITY HARDCORE
FUCK YOU

Himuro said:
I disagree. The cars feel the same way in IV as they did in past games, it's just they control more realistically. The stallion still swerves when you go around corners because it's a muscle car. The Blista and the Blista Compact are great for decent speed and excellent handling. The regular taxis feel a lot better than the classic taxi style. The sports guys like the Infernus, Comet, Cheetah;etc. have the best handling, speed, everything but blow up too fast. And I know you aren't saying that the vans and trucks like the Bobcat control the same way as say, a Manana or Esparante. I just think that now that the car physics are more realistic, the difference in cars is much more pronounced than it used to be.

I don't know man. They feel completely different to me. Not only that but the collision aspect of how things are handled (talkinging about Vice) along with the things I mentioned in the prior post make the driving completely different. The closest similarities for me are that the high end cars in GTA 4 are "tight" (less body sway for example) in the sense that a lot of the cars are in Vice City. As I drove down the roads of Vice City as I type the closest sensation I can is that light cycle game in Tron.

Ryuuga

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
All I really keep it on is "The Journey". What sucks is that the song selection isn't as much on that channel, so you'll hear the same song 15 Minutes out or so. Other than that, Talk Radio and Commercials

Yeah, it's so bad that I can actually go to the pay & spray twice just to hear the track I just finished listening to.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Custom soundtracks FTMFW.

Been using them since last week and haven't looked back.

Love walking through the city on a rainy night with my own soundtrack playing.

I don't really like the soundtrack as a whole. I really find myself going through the stations trying to find the handful of things I like to hear (Just like in real life!) and if I can't find anything good, I usually go to the jazz station which is always good.

Lol, perhaps in prior GTA's, but just fucking around in 4 and I realized that If I approach a stopped car with passengers and aim at the driver in free aim with a gun, he'll just abandon the car without me having to jack him.

Ploid 3.0

About the dicussion from the last page. I guess I now realize why I'm not going crazy having fun doing random stuff like in SA. I really wish this had taxi missions, pimping, countryside with huge mountains, jrt pack, yadda yadda yadda. A new transport like the jet pack was would have been expected. I also miss rival gangs, or danger zones. I'd at least have people to start a fight with. Fighting helpless pedestrians isn't much entertainment. I may as well buy firecrackers to combat them. Fighting cops isn't the same because I'm not tempted to run one over when I see one. I'm mostly collecting cars now. I have a lot of missions left, I only unlocked the 3rd island. The codes dont seem fun. There is no rpg element like SA (weapon skills, faster run) although Niko is from the military so they can say he's maxed.

I can't believe I'm considering playing SA for my gta fun. This may be where DLC comes in. If it is, the must give ps3 rival gangs, taxi, pimping, and a jet pack at least. I loved turf war ; ;

I love the radio.

It's got

The Who
Smashing Pumpkins
The Black Crowes
Miles Davis
Jill Scott
The Black Keys
a ton of Bob Marley
Marvin Gaye
Kanye West
Nas
Elton John
Queen
that one song from Silence of the Lambs that Buffalo Bill tucks in his penis to
and most important of all GINUWINE!

"My pony, my saddle, come on and jump on it!"

And a shit load of other great artists. I don't know how anyone could be disappointed.

kylej

Banned
atomsk said:
L.C.H.C has my favorite station identifier jingle

LIBERTY CITY HARDCORE
LIBERTY CITY HARDCORE
LIBERTY CITY HARDCORE
FUCK YOU

LIBERTY CITY IS FULL OF COCKS

Ryuuga said:
Also, whatever happened to the pizza delivery?

...oh yeah I forgot about pizza delivery. I want pizza delivery in GTA IV.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
holy shit I just got killed by landing on top of a barbed wire fence. :lol

I was speeding in my motorcycle ,crashed into a cop car, went flying and flipped like 2 - 3 times then landed on top of barbed wire and my body just stayed on the fence lifeless

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Pizza delivery was kinda lame in the last games. Are bus drivers back? I haven't even checked yet (in Vice City you could pull up to bus stops and get $5 per person).

Jackl

Cerrius said:
holy shit I just got killed by landing on top of a barbed wire fence. :lol

I was speeding in my motorcycle ,crashed into a cop car, went flying and flipped like 2 - 3 times then landed on top of barbed wire and my body just stayed on the fence lifeless

The other day I was finishing up some sort of mission on a bike riding to the checkpoint. I crash off land ahead of a taxi that ran over my ass. Didn't slow down or swerve. Got caught under the tires and even though I had full life, I died : (

Assholes.

Dartastic

I'm having a real hard time with "The Snow Storm." I can get past the first part, but it's the second part that's kicking my ass. How did you guys do it?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
chubigans said:
Pizza delivery was kinda lame in the last games. Are bus drivers back? I haven't even checked yet (in Vice City you could pull up to bus stops and get $5 per person).

I was trying this earlier on Algonquin but the people sat at the bus stops didn't seem to want to get on so I'm guessing it doesn't work anymore. Drowning people with the fire hose is even more fun with Euphoria though :D

Jackl said:
The other day I was finishing up some sort of mission on a bike riding to the checkpoint. I crash off land ahead of a taxi that ran over my ass. Didn't slow down or swerve. Got caught under the tires and even though I had full life, I died : (

Assholes.
I got hit by a taxi that pushed me on its windshield for 2 blocks before launching me into a wall :lol

Ploid 3.0

You know what would be awesome? A all pedestrians have weapons cheat. Then I'd be able to put my arsenal to use. Also throw in the all pedestrians attack everyone and that would be som good gta3 funright there. Sure there is online but it don't seem to fill the void.

Do you gain rivals/a danger zone further in the game? I thought this was one thing Rock star wasn't going to drop after people complained about the mafia in gta 3 being able to make your car explode in no time with their guns. Heck with SA they made the danger zone stuff even better. Then had majority of the map safe as a candy store for the people that didn't like them.

Ranger X

Nobody is bothered by the sleep mode always turning off right after you do something?

Christ, can't i turn it the hell when i want? This pisses me off. A cool feature (stopping calls and progress) but gets a pain in the ass 'cause right after you do an activity or non-story mission it's automatically back on. Jeez.

EDIT: fuck, i said "turning on" it was "turning off"

Dartastic

Dartastic said:
I'm having a real hard time with "The Snow Storm." I can get past the first part, but it's the second part that's kicking my ass. How did you guys do it?

Anyone? Help! The cops are totally kicking my ass!

I don't know if this has been mentioned but it seems the streets of Bohan are named after US prisons. Sing Sing, Lompoc etc. Are all of them?

Dartastic

womfalcs3 said:
I luckily made it to Pay 'n Spray. The cops are vicious in that mission, but it's possible to overcome them.

Yeah, I usually couldn't even overtake them. I would wait inside trying to kill them all, then I realized that wouldn't work. I eventually made it to a car and somehow got away. It was close.

EDIT. WHOA HOLY FUCK AT THE NEXT STORY PART. WTF. :lol

twinturbo2 said:
It can all be boiled down to "why are the Smashing Pumpkins on the classic rock station?" I love everything else, tho. :D

:lol When they first came on I did a double take, and then started (of course) a chase mission. Wasn't really appropriate.

As a whole though the soundtrack is excellent.

And god damn
shooting Romans kidnapper with free aim fucking sucks

jakncoke

Banned
Dartastic said:
Anyone? Help! The cops are totally kicking my ass!

kill enough cops so that you can get through front door without dying, then go through the hole in the fence hop into the boat and get away. You'll have to get rid of your wanted level so be ready for some evasive action to complete it

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dartastic said:
Yeah, I usually couldn't even overtake them. I would wait inside trying to kill them all, then I realized that wouldn't work. I eventually made it to a car and somehow got away. It was close.

Best thing to do is pick up the armor and once they come just sprint out the door and find a car, if you sit there killing them eventually you get swamped and soon a couple will sneak by and nail you from the other entrances while you take cover.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
funkmastergeneral said:
soo what do I do with cars for Stevie? I found it but was never told where to put it >.>
Take them to the garage in Bohan near your safehouse, there's an icon on your map

j-wood

Dartastic said:

I ended up driving up and down the entirety of the island, in a bobcat that had the front right tire blown out. :lol

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Esperado said:
Well, I'm going to print out a code sheet now and see what kind of fun I can have. I really think my emphasis on the story may have made me enjoy the game less, so lets see what happens. :D

I envy you for picking that ending.
Well before I made the decision I saved so that I could play it either way. In hindsight it was useless because i just hoped on youtube to see the other ending.

Darktastic said:

By sheer providence. I think I bailed out of two cars, and each time was run over by a pig SUV, but the tires straddled me and I survived, and I got up and jacked another car.
Keep checking your map to see the edges of the pig circle and the proper route to go, and change routes as new pigs get lit up on your mini-map. Just keep moving towards the edges, and eventually you'll get out.

Reminder once again, add the gamertag "GAFGTAIV" to your friendslist if you would like a central hub for all gaf members looking to play online with each other. Just use the friends of a friend search function to locate fellow gaffers wanting to play.

Choc

Banned
vumpler said:
Well before I made the decision I saved so that I could play it either way. In hindsight it was useless because i just hoped on youtube to see the other ending.

except its a shame EVERY youtube video is the pegerino ending!

Himuro said:
Holy shit. Dwayne / Playboy X spoiler

I seriously don't know what to do. Playboy wants Dwayne dead and they both seem like swell guys, although I like Dwayne a whole lot more.

I'm scared for the future of these guys so much I've got butterflies in my stomach and I think I'm about to poop my pants

You gotta make a decision.

NAHMEAN?

t4ng0

fuckin' pigs.

just beat the game in something like 30 hours 13 minutes. i thought
the mission to kill dimitri was the last one(i chose revenge, which actually is less satisfying then the deal ending) - so i took my sweet time on that mission.

Himuro said:
Holy shit. Dwayne / Playboy X spoiler

I seriously don't know what to do. Playboy wants Dwayne dead and they both seem like swell guys, although I like Dwayne a whole lot more.

I'm scared for the future of these guys so much I've got butterflies in my stomach and I think I'm about to poop my pants

If you
take out X you get his pad as a safehouse but no $
(spoiler on reward)

If you
take out D you get $
(I think, I didn't follow this path)

Ranger X

Himuro said:
Well, when I turn sleep mode on and then do a mission it turns off, and I have to turn it off after I finish. It's because sleep mode disengages story activities and when you do a mission it goes back to story mode since some missions require a phone.

Yeah i get it but still a shit feature. There should have simply been an option on the phone called "Story on/off" or something. Like the mission that aren't part of the progress could use the phone but stuff that the current sleep mode blocks would remain blocked.

t4ng0 said:
just beat the game in something like 30 hours 13 minutes. i thought
the mission to kill dimitri was the last one(i chose revenge, which actually is less satisfying then the deal ending) - so i took my sweet time on that mission.

Yeah I chose that too because I hated Dmitri and felt he was the ultimate "bad guy", so I made that choice, and then got a shitty ending. Pegarino, and Kate who gives a fuck. Also didn't really care about the Dwayne vs Playboy decision. I killed Dwayne because he was a whiny little bitch and was rewarded with...Nothing. That entire part of the game with Manny, Playboy, Dwayne and Elizabeta doesn't even really fit. Just feels tacked on.

Anyway, finished the game and just completed all the Assassination missions. Going to finish all of Little Jacob's deliveries then I don't know what. Don't think the multiplayer will keep me hooked for a long time. The parts of the city are just too big. It's not fun running around searching for someone to kill or get killed by.

Last reminder for tonight, cause im going to bed.

Add "GAFGTAIV" to your friendslist and then use the friend of a friend search to find other gaffers who want to play GTAIV multiplayer.

The list is finally starting to come together with atleast five people on at all times. Please send a friend request to the tag, thanks.

Recoil

Himuro said:
I just beat Snow Storm on my first try. Definitely one of the greatest GTA missions. It had excellent shooting sections, a great chase, and a plot twist. Holy frickin crap.

For those having trouble, here's what I did.

I saw that there were people outside the building so I sniped them from afar, about a good 6-7 people. Then I rushed the building and took out every person individually. When I came out with the coke I saw I had a 3 star level, so I called Brucie to get me a helicopter out of there. I drove the truck I found near the Old Hospital to Brucie's pick up point, and he drove me off to Chinatown. My 3 star level was still active but the cops weren't in the vicinity, I immediately jacked the closest car and drove out of the circle. Finished with the cops. Then I drove off to the Jacob point.

Now, Michelle at that point was 98% because I accidentally ignored one of her calls at one point. Does that affect the ending to Snow Storm in the least bit?

Overall, AMAZING mission. Holy shit.

Just wait 'till you get to Three Leaf Clover and Hostile Negotiations. :D

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
"That Special Someone" Spoilers...

So..did you kill him, or walk away being the better man? I personally walked away. That piece of shit wasn't even worth the price of the bullet resting in the chamber of my pistol.

Zyzyxxz

BakedPigeon said:
Last reminder for tonight, cause im going to bed.

Add "GAFGTAIV" to your friendslist and then use the friend of a friend search to find other gaffers who want to play GTAIV multiplayer.

The list is finally starting to come together with atleast five people on at all times. Please send a friend request to the tag, thanks.

I will do, just beat the sinpleplayer and now I want some online action.

Top Bottom