• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Wickerman

sublime085 said:
I love the radio.

It's got

The Who
Smashing Pumpkins
The Black Crowes
Miles Davis
Jill Scott
The Black Keys
a ton of Bob Marley
Marvin Gaye
Kanye West
Nas
Elton John
Queen
that one song from Silence of the Lambs that Buffalo Bill tucks in his penis to
and most important of all GINUWINE!

:lol

SpudBud

Topher said:
"That Special Someone" Spoilers...

So..did you kill him, or walk away being the better man? I personally walked away. That piece of shit wasn't even worth the price of the bullet resting in the chamber of my pistol.

I walked away. For him, living was just punishent.

AkuMifune

Banned
Salmonax said:
I know they were going for a more cinematic effect on the missions by having scripted sequences that you're forced to see, but they should have figured out a way to do it without bending the game world's rules. Like, "hey, he needs to stay alive so the traffic camera sees him at this intersection, so don't kill him until then" and if you do, you fail the mission.

This is probably my biggest complaint of the game. So many times in previous GTA's, when something crazy happened it was usually random, which made it feel so much more epic. Now with all these thinly veiled set pieces, it seems more like other sandbox games. Especially when you replay a mission and see the same stuff again, it's just so fake. Still, I've been playing this since nonstop for almost 2 weeks and still loving every minute.

Playing multiplayer GTA is the experience equivalent of asking a girl out on a date and then getting kicked in the balls repeatedly every 5 minutes on the date. I want to give it a try and like it but the shit design and constant disconnects just make it impossible.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
wayward archer said:
Set up the first date with Alex, the rest is just for reading.

NPR said
that you could actually find the Liberty City serial killer here and set up a meeting with him...true?

Wollan

Regarding Liberty City Serial killer..
I'm positive I picked him up. North western Manhatten island I believe. He was talking all kinds of crazy stuff and he had to dump a big heavy bag in the sea. He also had red substance on his cheeks. He was talking about little boys and girls, being their friends..etc.

voltron

wayward archer said:
Set up the first date with Alex, the rest is just for reading.

ahh - Thanks for that. I had no idea where to meet her.

My favourite activity for the day: driving around the docks/port in a cop car, pretending to be on season 2 of The Wire:D

Wollan said:
Regarding Liberty City Serial killer..
I'm positive I picked him up. North western Manhatten island I believe. He was talking all kinds of crazy stuff and he had to dump a big heavy bag in the sea. He also had red substance on his cheeks. He was talking about little boys and girls, being their friends..etc.

Taken from an FAQ
You'll notice when playing the game that the radio, tv and internet talk
about a serial killer in the game. The good news is you can meet him in-
game: He is located in an alley close to the Auto Eroticar dealership, which
is in Alderney City. When you get close to the alley a circle called "friend"
appears. He asks you for a ride, and you get to listen to all the crazy stuff
he has to say.

On a separate note, I'm playing through a second time now to do all the stuff I didn't do and it's interesting to catch some of the details I missed out on the first time around.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Just saw Republican Space Rangers for the first time :lol

"DIS HERE REGISTERS AS A STRANGE PLANET ON THA INSURGENT SCAN!"

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Halvie said:
whoever designed the motorcycle controls and made missions where you have t chase people on bikes should be shot.

Yes this mission is shit, I am currently stuck on it.

Brannon

Oh great, it's decision time involving old school and faux money (close as I can get without spoiling). This is going to be tough...

Cerrius said:
Just saw Republican Space Rangers for the first time :lol

"DIS HERE REGISTERS AS A STRANGE PLANET ON THA INSURGENT SCAN!"

I finally saw it as well. Was surprised I didn't think it was as funny as I expected from reading other people's comments. Too obvious, too heavy-handed. Usually the humor in GTA games is a little more subtle, more like "british humour" I suppose. (Which, considering the source, makes sense.) If you really want to lampoon something, make it more real. Make characters you can almost identify with. RSR was so out there, I felt it missed the mark for being funny. The concept was great, the execution failed.

That brings up something I've noticed with the radio shows as well. It's often too outrageous this time. They should have scaled it back a bit to make it more realistic. The writers are obviously clever, they should have gone more subtle. It's almost like they didn't trust their audience to get the jokes, so they went too outrageous and too blue.

For example, if they wanted to go with a radio station where there's unrealistic cursing and swearing all the time, they should have done a spoof on satellite radio like XM or Sirius channels.

There are some funny programs though. The show with Bas Rutten is great, and so's the lifestyles/cribs parody. Some good stuff on the radio too.

stewacide

Stoney Mason said:
Lol, perhaps in prior GTA's, but just fucking around in 4 and I realized that If I approach a stopped car with passengers and aim at the driver in free aim with a gun, he'll just abandon the car without me having to jack him.

I discovered this by accident as well, but was disappointed when I couldn't manage to rob people of their money with the same technique.

ElyrionX

Barakov said:
Yeah, I have to agree. But the helicopter is a different matter. I never want to pilot one of those things ever again.

What are you talking about? The helicopters are awesome! Way better than they were in VC and SA.

Ranger X

Gamer @ Heart said:
After I beat the game, is there an option to restart all missions but leave my side mssion progress like pigeons and stunt jumps active?

Holyshit this is great! Does this "new game +" option keeps your stats and all the extra stuff??

BeeDog

Ranger X said:
Holyshit this is great! Does this "new game +" option keeps your stats and all the extra stuff??

:lol Reading comprehension ftl. :p

I would really want a "mission replay" feature in this game; it practically begs for it.

Jirotrom

So... I accidently told this Lawchik girl that I didn't want to date her anymore, forgetting that it didn't mean "not to take any chances". How the heck do I date here again.... she isn't popping up on that website anymore?

Ranger X

BeeDog said:
:lol Reading comprehension ftl. :p

I would really want a "mission replay" feature in this game; it practically begs for it.

I read "there is" instead of "is there". I'm just tired i guess...

Damn, that was the best option ever. First time i was replaying a GTA game a second time. :lol

Ranger X

Himuro said:
FUCK. Someone apparently hit my Comet out of my parking square and now it's GONE. FUCK FUCK UFCK

Nah the parking square is just buggy. EACH TIME i load my game the car isn't there anymore. I simply can't rely on the parking square because it's too buggy.

I hope there's "garages" later on. At least those were saving the cars properly in previous games.

jeez, i can't believe how buggy this game is. Way beyond any previous installment :(

raYne

chespace said:
Custom soundtracks FTMFW.

Been using them since last week and haven't looked back.

Love walking through the city on a rainy night with my own soundtrack playing.
But I thought no one would ever use it, since the in-game soundtrack/audio is guaranteed awesome and will never get boring? Ever?

Joking aside, I like a bunch on the ST, but I started cycling between it, my custom soundtracks or XM Sat radio running in the background with the in-game radio off completely, after about four days of owning the game.

Choice ftw.

Himuro said:
WHY THE FUCK DOES IT TAKE NIKO SO LONG TO DO EVERYTHING?
fixed it for you.

Ranger X said:
Nah the parking square is just buggy. EACH TIME i load my game the car isn't there anymore. I simply can't rely on the parking square because it's too buggy.

I hope there's "garages" later on. At least those were saving the cars properly in previous games.

jeez, i can't believe how buggy this game is. Way beyond any previous installment :(
I never had anything disappear and pretty much have all the useable space ('cept for
Playboy X
's) in use.

..and if you meant garages later on in the game. Nope. Same deal as it is right now... you just get more hideouts with the same 2 parking slots.

M3wThr33

Banned
Just played 2 rounds of BdB2. Ran just fine. Although I was just fine before the patch. I'll look at the clothes I unlocked tomorrow.

Jtrizzy

How can I find another Infernus?
I lost the one bernie gave me and didn't realize you could save cars at your apartments. Also what is the the point of that garage on the top part of the island the garage doors never open. I assumed that was where I should store the vehicles, but it seems to be totally useless

Ploid 3.0

Ranger X said:

The garage was buggy in vice city, but I think it was just one spot. A hotel you buy that has a car pod for one. GTA3 had a trick where you could fit a load of cars in one garage. Good times.

Brannon

Playboy/Dwayne spoiler

In the end
I decided to cast judgement against Playboy. He forgot his roots, though he was big, and in the end he died limping and banging against the door in an alley. He will not be missed.

That's the way it rolls 'round here.

Jtrizzy

Can anyone tell me how to get an Inferus? I lost the one you get from
bernie
will there be another one in the location he left it? if so can you remind me where that was? Thanks.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Halvie said:
whoever designed the motorcycle controls and made missions where you have t chase people on bikes should be shot.
I went on one of those missions a while back. Its the one where
Mikhail wants you to kill the biker dude that her daughter likes
I prefer riding bikes over cars. Its easier to move around on a bike and its so much more fun getting hit when you're on a bike rather than in a car.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I just witnessed the greatest thing ever. My was trying to get onto the 2nd island even though the roads are still blocked. He got past the first police blockage on the bridge by driving past it with a motorbike. He carried on accelerated along the whole bridge, so when he reached the second bloakcage at the end of the bridge, he was going way too fast to turn properly. He smaked into a car or something and he went flying in the air. He got hit so hard that he flew so high and so far forward that he landed on the balcony of a building!

mileS

I love rocket killing myself off the roof of Playboy X's place :lol

you can get some major air there! I need to try taller buildings now.

Final Francis mission
I killed Francis, spared Derrick. I didn't seem to get anything from it like the PBX/Dwayne choice. Would something different have happened if I shot down Derrick?

Also, I saw a complaint earlier about a lack of store robbery. You can rob stores, but the only one I've found you can rob so far is the russian clothing store. Go in and stick up the cashier. You can then go around the counter and open the cash register with LB.

Do cheats only affect the save file that it was used in or will it completely fuck over the entire gamertag if you save with it activated? I was thinking of going through the game a second time with cheats.

sennin

Jtrizzy said:
How can I find another Infernus?
I lost the one bernie gave me and didn't realize you could save cars at your apartments. Also what is the the point of that garage on the top part of the island the garage doors never open. I assumed that was where I should store the vehicles, but it seems to be totally useless

If I'm not mistaken, Infernus are called Turismo in GTA IV and the Lamborghini is actually a common sight midgame. This is currently my invaluable map for GTA IV: http://grandtheftauto.ign.com/maps/1/Liberty-City-Map

edit: I am mistaken. An Infernus is not a Turismo. Credit to Brashnir for pointing it out.

Go to Grotti's Automobile showroom, which is located just southwest of Roman's penthouse. Address: Pyrite Street, Middle Park East, Algonquin. There's a fleet of 8 different colored Turismos each time you load your game and if you spawn from Roman's penthouse, they are just 1 street down. Don't worry about losing Turismos, there's a static spawn point for them.

It is as if R* wanted to paint a picture of success in Liberty City as a contrast to "the American Dream's a big fat lie, don't come here with naive expectations immigrants!" because it seems every John Doe and his cousin own a Feltzer (which some liken to a Mercedes SLK)! Niko should be so inspired to greater things, despite being given a bullshit success story by his cousin. Banshees take a while to show up but not too hard to spot in a reasonable session of Liberty City cruising (say about 45 minutes or so). The Dodge Viper's easily my favorite flamboyant car out of the lot.

The one flashy car that is incredibly hard to acquire is the Comet, and to the best of my knowledge (love to be proven wrong here...), you can't buy a Comet online from autoeroticar.com. I haven't actually tried buying anything from them, since all those cars advertised for sale are easily sourced in the streets. So, much to my dismal, I drove the one sole Comet given to me from Brucie's mission, and of course my immaculate skills guaranteed a fuckup in the very same mission I drove the Comet out on, hence I was arbitrarily relieved of it and I started my replacement search with the mindset, "ah, big deal, cars are a dime a dozen in GTA games; I'll find me a Comet, no problem!" 10~12 hours later, I'm still looking for that replacement. >.> If worse comes to worst, time to fleece one from Brucie's mates during his regularly scheduled street races....:D

I'm really impressed on several fronts in GTA IV, the narratives for one stands out as gold here. Voice actors are really giving their best. Michael Hollick's expressed rage in "Hostile Negotiation" increased my immersion as Niko exponentially, I can feel his family values and unwavering loyalty burst in fiery carnage on my HDTV as I take cover and lob grenades in merciless melodies. Granted the sex scenes with Carmen, Kiki and Alex sound like a virgin having phonesex for the first time (c'mon ladies, fake a moan with more enthusiasm :p) but overall Jason Zumwalt, Timothy Adams, Thomas Lyon, Karel Rondon and Ryan Johnston more than pulled the team over for this amusing effort at erotica. Last but not least, Rebecca, your voice acting as Michelle is great except during the alluded sex scenes. :lol

Another endearing aspect of GTA IV comes in the form of building relationships. Granted it started off as boring, but slowly I come to realize this is where the expositions for the supporting cast are, and it wasn't long before I made a commitment to call them out after every main story mission so I can get to understand their history and motivations that led them to what they are today. Oh, no shit, the cast is almost entirely fucked up with 1 or 2 exceptions, but they are all dysfunctional in different ways. The most humorous has to be when Niko dials a free cab from Roman, and his employee shows up with different lines of bitching. :lol So don't hit fast travel when you are using Roman's free cab services, at least not until the dialogs are over.

Graphics are a mixed bag (360 player here). From first impressions, the lighting effects are great, and the cars look much more vibrant than the previous GTA entries. I cannot help but wonder if R*'s animators did their best when it comes to characters though, I'm not seeing the same level of posh the vehicles are privileged to have. To compare, I think TES IV: Oblivion's characters have more details in their facial expressions and movements than Niko and co. does. The little things in cutscenes, for instance Half Life 2's piercing gazes via constriction of iris and facial muscle twitches help to convey the conniving look, and I hope R* will try to use these subtle visual techniques in future games.

The chase scenes have raised the bars from Tommy Vercetti's days. For one, "No Way on the Subway" sends my adrenaline pumping in multiple vibes! I crashed several times against the trains, but by and large it was easily the most fast paced and exciting mission ever. "Three Leaf Clover" gets the nod on best shootout mission thus far, although I've yet to play "Snow Storm". Is there someway to replay missions after a player has finished them without starting the game over? This will be a neat feature for fans to redo the missions they are prone to like. There is one thing I hope R* will improve on, the inclusion of the transit system is great, but it is hardly the optimal choice to get around, since cab rides are essentially fast travel options. To get the player exposed to more railway imagery, it will be nice to have like 20% of the story/optional missions located there. Right now I'm only seeing 2 missions that involve the intricately designed trains and their network in Liberty City, and that's a real shame.

GTA IV's social commentaries oozes plenty of wit, as it hits out at every raw nerve in contemporary issues, ranging from
racial profiling in the aftermath of 9-11; the trickery of advertising campaigns; the growing obsessions with pharmaceutical products in a capitalistic age producing fashion conscious homo sapiens; to how dating has evolved to include online flings as an arm of web 2.0; taking potshots at CSI, courtroom and medical dramas. The manual even takes a swipe at using patriotism as a defense against the charge of fast food joints contributing to the problem of obesity. Even self-righteous lawyers aren't spared the seething saw of satirical attacks! I'm already in love with Katt Williams and if I ever find time, I'll want to schedule it such that I can watch him live.

It has been a long time since I had this much fun after TES IV: Oblivion. To be fair, I only completed Vice City, and that rocked hard with the 80s soundtrack, so perhaps I'm not quite burnt out on the GTA formula yet. I'd definitely encourage the notion of R* remaking Vice City and VC Stories using the Rage engine, with fast travel options via cabby and the ability to swim.

After all the praises have been sung, the controls in combat and driving STILL SUCK. You've also made the shootouts easier by placing armor and health packs liberally during missions and that took away my sense of accomplishment after every victory in a gunfight. But I'd forgive you R*, for all the reasons stated above. ^

sennin

BobFromPikeCreek said:
No, there are Infernuses in GTA IV. I haven't found one in SP yet, but they are fairly common in MP.

hmm I've yet to log onto MP, and conversely I've never seen an Infernus in SP as well. Perhaps you could try Grotti's and let us know if the Turismo resembles a Lamborghini?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hey about Playboy X, something I wondered

Did anyone remember to 'execute' him, aka a bullet to the head? There is a set point where he gets trapped, but I didn't know that at the time so I just mg'ed him quick. Do you get extra dialogue/cutscene when you do it the one bullet way? I'm gonna try that in a next walkthrough or see if I can reload a previous save.

Brashnir

sennin said:
hmm I've yet to log onto MP, and conversely I've never seen an Infernus in SP as well. Perhaps you could try Grotti's and let us know if the Turismo resembles a Lamborghini?

The Turismo looks like a Ferrari, the Infernus a Lamborghini. I used to have two of each parked in front of my safehouses, but I ended up taking all but one infernus out and losing them. I haven't bothered to re-stock.

Top Bottom