• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

eso76

ok, so, is there a garage in the game ?
i just got to the second island and i'd like to keep some of the cars i'm finding here.
someone told me you can store cars in the 4 floor parking in the first island, but it didn't work for me : \

Brashnir

eso76 said:
ok, so, is there a garage in the game ?
i just got to the second island and i'd like to keep some of the cars i'm finding here.
someone told me you can store cars in the 4 floor parking in the first island, but it didn't work for me : \

each safehouse has a parking space in front of it that can hold 2 cars. No garages.

Brannon said:
Playboy/Dwayne spoiler

In the end
I decided to cast judgement against Playboy. He forgot his roots, though he was big, and in the end he died limping and banging against the door in an alley. He will not be missed.

That's the way it rolls 'round here.

How fucking great of a finish was that? So poetic.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
So has anyone else just given up on the actual story objectives for the time being and jacking around using cheats? I think the game's worth the price admission just for the fun you can have with this alone.

Jumping from a helicopter at max altitude?

Blasting a rocket into 6 tightly packed police cruisers?

Sniping a dude in the middle of a conversation from 10 stories up?

Yes please.

Doc Evils

tedtropy said:
So has anyone else just given up on the actual story objectives for the time being and jacking around using cheats? I think the game's worth the price admission just for the fun you can have with this alone.

Jumping from a helicopter at max altitude?

Blasting a rocket into 6 tightly packed police cruisers?

Sniping a dude in the middle of a conversation from 10 stories up?

Yes please.

don't save the game if you use cheats. It will corrupt the game.

Goldrusher

Brashnir said:
each safehouse has a parking space in front of it that can hold 2 cars. No garages.

Which gets explained in one of the very first missions. Jesus, some people play this game with there eyes closed. Or without paying attention to any pop-up message.

Weenerz

Banned
26 hours in, just unlocked Bernie as a mission guy, how much further do I have to go? Will I hit the 30 hour achievement? I also unlocked the mob boss, forgot his name tho

ElyrionX

Weenerz said:
26 hours in, just unlocked Bernie as a mission guy, how much further do I have to go? Will I hit the 30 hour achievement? I also unlocked the mob boss, forgot his name tho

Nope. You're not going to make it in under 30 hours.

You're probably at the 60 to 70% mark.

ascully

Dam I just Hit
Bernie
and I am at 50 hours I didnt realize I had been playing that long I have managed to do all the most wanted missions and all the taxi and delivery missions though :)

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
raYne said:
Yes, but
Kate dies in his place.
What a fuck over.
I wanted to do the deal for Roman, not because I gave a shit about the money. Now he is dead and Kate is up to her usual bitchyness again. I feel like I got cheated. I may even start the game over...

Steroyd

Finally... completed...game... X_X

It got to the point where I wanted the main story to end thank god I made it to the finishing line... eventually.

GilloD

Banned
Question about maybe missing a mission,
When Michelle/Karen called to invite me to a mission a "?" popped up on the map. My 360 locked up, so I skipped the mission for awhile. Now it's not on the map anymore- Did I miss it?

Twig

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Which gets explained in one of the very first missions. Jesus, some people play this game with there eyes closed. Or without paying attention to any pop-up message.
Well, to be fair, all the past GTAs had garages.

And, really, I would prefer garages. I've had a couple times where a car I parked ended up disappearing. ):

painey

the problem with having a parking spot is that the AI drivers often knock your car out of the parking spot so you lose it when you load up. Ive constantly found Taxis stored at wierd angles at my safehouses because the taxis have crashed there and when ive saved its stored them

Scotch

I have a Garage on my minimap, it's somewhere in Bohan I think. It may have appeared after I finished the game, I don't know. Anyway, when I drive over there I can't do anything, no doors opening or such. Anyone know what's up with that?

painey

Scotch said:
I have a Garage on my minimap, it's somewhere in Bohan I think. It may have appeared after I finished the game, I don't know. Anyway, when I drive over there I can't do anything, no doors opening or such. Anyone know what's up with that?

its where you take Stevies text message cars

raYne

wotter said:
Can everybody use the zombie skin btw? I could use it from the moment I got online.
I think I read that it was linked to having played with a Rockstar dev in the game. Not sure how factual that is, but I certainly can't use it.. and I have yet to see someone online that has it.

Topher said:
What a fuck over.
I wanted to do the deal for Roman, not because I gave a shit about the money. Now he is dead and Kate is up to her usual bitchyness again. I feel like I got cheated. I may even start the game over...
Well, I choose the other route and still didn't get to escape said bitchyness.

As I posted a few days ago:
Kate died in mine and Roman lived, but somehow her zombie came back to life and called me from beyond the grave saying she missed me. I even took her out the first time.. heh. Whenever she calls me I get an "unknown caller" ID on my phone. So when she calls, I never answer her anymore since she surely wants to eat my brains.
:lol

Barrett2

I just had something crazy happen.

I loaded up the game after the PS3 patch installed. As I walked out of my apartment, literally at the split second Niko walked out the front door of my Manhattan apartment, a cab rams me at insanely high speed, throwing me back through the front door of my apartment. The cab also drives through the front door, and crashes into the wall next to the elevator! The cabbie then falls out of the cab, dead. What the hell?! It was the most startling / awesome thing I have seen so far.

Safe Bet

Banned
Played four hours straight last night...

Anyone who says this game isn't a 10 is fucking delusional.

Amazing Game

raYne said:
I think I read that it was linked to having played with a Rockstar dev in the game. Not sure how factual that is, but I certainly can't use it.. and I have yet to see someone online that has it.l
Hrmnn...

I have the zombie skin but haven't tried using it yet.

Maybe I should...

raYne

lawblob said:
I just had something crazy happen.

I loaded up the game after the PS3 patch installed. As I walked out of my apartment, literally at the split second Niko walked out the front door of my Manhattan apartment, a cab rams me at insanely high speed, throwing me back through the front door of my apartment. The cab also drives through the front door of my apartment, and crashes into the wall next to the elevator! The cabbie then falls out of the cab, dead. What the hell?! It was the most startling / awesome thing I have seen so far.
Random GTA nonsense is always awesome.

A few that come to mind in my playtime:

-Speeding along the bridge to Broker, I crash into the back of some SUV. I blame them because it was one of those times where they'll swerve into the other lane for no reason. Somehow the driver catches fire, jumps out of the SUV starts running around screaming. No help comes and she decides to run back to the SUV (perhaps to get help? :lol) and it catches fire and blows up sending her flying off the bridge and into the water below.

-Multiple times I'll be in a gunfight with some people during missions, only to have a bunch of cops roll up because of all the gunfire. So I'll get no stars because I wasn't the first to start shooting (self defense excuse ftw) and the whole place will turn into a warzone with cops swarming in until they eventually take everyone out. It usually works out pretty well until one time the baddies were hold up in a drug house. Each packing SMGs and shotguns. They'd just tear the cops apart since they would always try to storm through the front door. Before I get bored enough to take them out myself, there were literally dozens of cop bodies slumped in killing field that was the front porch/living room area.

-Watching a cop chase down some ped in foot pursuit. I'm following the action on foot as well and the dude speeds around a corner with the cop and myself about half a block away. We round the corner and the cop finds him hiding in an alley and starts to arrest him. Then a completely random other ped comes out of nowhere, pulls out a gun and shoots the cop in the head and they both take off running again. No idea if the cop bumped him during the chase or if he knew the other dude or what. :lol

Wollan

Just received my US copy of the game.

Australian game saves do not work with the US version.

I finished the game last Sunday with the AU version. I'm not going to bother replaying it again for a non censored save.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
raYne said:
I think I read that it was linked to having played with a Rockstar dev in the game. Not sure how factual that is, but I certainly can't use it.. and I have yet to see someone online that has it.

Well, I choose the other route and still didn't get to escape said bitchyness.

As I posted a few days ago:
Kate died in mine and Roman lived, but somehow her zombie came back to life and called me from beyond the grave saying she missed me. I even took her out the first time.. heh. Whenever she calls me I get an "unknown caller" ID on my phone. So when she calls, I never answer her anymore since she surely wants to eat my brains.
:lol
Please tell me you're joking?!?!? :lol

raYne

Topher said:
Please tell me you're joking?!?!? :lol
I wish I were...

Maybe I should answer her calls again and see where it leads. Necrophilia ftw?

The thing is, she isn't even listed in my phonebook anymore. So I can't even call her, she has to call me. Guess having phone access in a grave would be a bit too much to ask. :lol

Double D

Not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but I was screwing around last night and decided to drop a grenade behind an armored truck. Yep, there's money in there.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Doc Evils said:
don't save the game if you use cheats. It will corrupt the game.

Yeah, I've been disabling auto-saving when I do it. I just kept spawning Annihilators and weapons and reeking havoc upon Liberty City's fair citizens for....far too many hours last night. :lol

sennin

*slaps forehead* In GTA, a Lamborghini's doors swing vertically; Porsche's don't. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Brashnir. I got my Infernus in SP as well, but I've come to to 2 preliminary conclusions:

i.) Brucie's races after "No.1" don't seem to spawn fanciful cars anymore. I tried it and all I get were average looking cars... so this technique definitely doesn't work, or requires some form of prerequisite e.g. the player needs to advance further in the races...

ii.) Infernus is not a guaranteed spawn near eroticars.com's brick and mortar shop @ Lockwaski Avenue, Alderney City. I drove around in circles for a good 15 minutes, not a single sports car showed up. Sorry Brashnir, your luck seems better than mine. :lol

The Infernus then, is a guaranteed acquisition only through 2 means: i.) by completing Bernie's missions (tried and tested, works), and ii.) during one of Stevie's car thefts, as the player drives around, in theory more Infernus should spawn on the roads (yet to confirm).

The Comet works roughly the same way as Infernus, by completing or flagging Brucie's "No. 1" mission, or during one of Stevie's car thefts, cruising around until more spawn, then send one of those clones back to your safehouse.

I really would like to wield accurate information saying both the Comet and Infernus have static spawn points in the game, and isn't a 2 chance shot for the player. It kind of sucks big time if a player rushes through the game without spending some time on message boards that point out about these windows of opportunity for the Infernus and Comet.

painey said:
the problem with having a parking spot is that the AI drivers often knock your car out of the parking spot so you lose it when you load up. Ive constantly found Taxis stored at wierd angles at my safehouses because the taxis have crashed there and when ive saved its stored them

Agreed. This is due to the game's slow loading up of objects, in this case, cars at your safehouse when you tell a cab to fast travel to said safehouse. The entire car must be parked inside the yellow lines, or I suspect the game will not register it as 'saved'. What happens here:

i.) cab gets loaded onto screen
ii.) roads and buildings get loaded next...
iii.) the cars in your "reserved for residents" yellow box get loaded last..

which results in fanciful cars either piled on top of the cab you arrived in, or being pushed out of the yellow box by it. If there's a patch, I hope R* fixes this so cabs always arrive outside the yellow box. ^

Scotch said:

Stevie's car thefts. He will text (mms) you a description of the car he wants with a pic, and tells you the estimated location where you can find it. You are supposed to find the car and hike it back to the garage. The better condition it is, the more $ you will receive. What I did was to rush for the Pay n Spray in Northwood, then drive carefully to Bohan.

raYne

Vik_Vaughn said:
Not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but I was screwing around last night and decided to drop a grenade behind an armored truck. Yep, there's money in there.
I've been wanting to rob one of those things for a while now, but wasn't sure if they had cash in it this time around. Not that I need it. Thanks for the motivation. :D

On that note, it's hilarious that Niko or other people are always going on about how poor he is, but I'm walking around with 1.5+ million in my pocket. :lol

I had an interesting one a while back that I never mentioned. One time I was being chased by cops and I had only one star so I decided to call Kiki (I remembered this because I never ever called her with one star and instead always outran the cops but this time I was in a hurry to get to the next mission) to clear it. It was one of those times though where she was pissed at me I remember because before the mission I had tried to call her and she wouldn't pick up. But instead of my wanted level clearing it went up to 2 stars. :lol

After I beat the game, I tried to replicate it again but couldn't so I've never been sure whether she was so pissed she actually called the DA and got me in more trouble or it was just a glitch but it was funny either way.

raYne

pn18 said:
What's the telephone number to call a cab?
I don't think you can call the yellow cabs by phone. You need to use Roman's taxi company. If you have the ability, it should already be in your phone book.

Double D

pn18 said:
What's the telephone number to call a cab?

How far are you? You can't call a cab at all. You can, however get a car service a few hours into the game. Not really a spoiler, but whatever:
Call Roman and select "Car Service"

GQman2121

Banned
Which version of Cops N' Crooks are you guys liking more? I prefer "One for All", where a certain % of the crew has to getaway, over protecting the boss. I like having only one life. It really adds to the drama and changes up the play style.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I love Car Jack City b/c it's a great two-player co-op mode and I'm usually partying up with one friend. There was one game where we were losing by two cars basically; we dropped one off, barely beating someone else. Got out of our car and shot him up while he was stuck in the narrow drop-off alleyway, took his car and won at the last second going to the closes drop-off.

Games seriously need to be like 30 minutes though otherwise they feel like they go by so fast. Too bad there's no 20-minute option.

BeeDog

A question about the serial killer thing:
I scooped him up and did what he told me to do, but what outcome do you get if you kill him? Do the news report this or what?

KZObsessed

BeeDog said:
A question about the serial killer thing:
I scooped him up and did what he told me to do, but what outcome do you get if you kill him? Do the news report this or what?

How do you find him?

burgerdog

Question about the 20(?) cars that you have to steal for Brucie's friend: What's his name again? I ignored that portion of the game when it was initially given to me and now his number isn't in my cell phone, and I have no idea what to do.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I held up a taxi driver (point the gun through the window) and shot him and then his passenger FREAKED OUT, got out of the car, ran two feet across the road and got hit by an oncoming truck and went flying :lol

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Where bro? :(
You have to kill Playboy X. It's in his closet.

burgerdog said:
Question about the 20(?) cars that you have to steal for Brucie's friend: What's his name again? I ignored that portion of the game when it was initially given to me and now his number isn't in my cell phone, and I have no idea what to do.
I think he sends you an initial email, so you could try TW@. If you did that already, you should have a text message telling you what car to get. I don't think you can delete those until you actually pick it up.

edit: It's Stevie by the way.

MMaRsu

raYne said:
You have to kill Playboy X. It's in his closet.

well goddamnit

I'm playing it on my second playthrough, and umm I got one call from Playboy while I was in a cab, but then I already stepped out so the call got dropped. I don't know if at this point I'm still suppose to get his last mission because I really want to. I just did some missions for Packie and UL Paper, will this mission still show up??

Had a wierd thing happen last night. After playing a game of pool I came out to find a bikers convention. Actually a biker helmet convention. Never seen so many pedestrians in one place and they ALL had motorcycle helmets on.
At this intersection I'd say there were between 50-75 pedestrians.
Strange.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
well goddamnit

I'm playing it on my second playthrough, and umm I got one call from Playboy while I was in a cab, but then I already stepped out so the call got dropped. I don't know if at this point I'm still suppose to get his last mission because I really want to. I just did some missions for Packie and UL Paper, will this mission still show up??
Not sure. :/

Wizpig

Oh, i'll just throw some useless Italian info in:

immag053gr6.jpg

immag054kz8.jpg

These are two Italian words meaning "Asshole" and "Bitch".
So now you know you're drinking Beer "Bitch".

Issun23

Wizpig said:
Oh, i'll just throw some useless Italian info in:

immag053gr6.jpg

immag054kz8.jpg

These are two Italian words meaning "Asshole" and "Bitch".
So now you know you're drinking Beer "Bitch".

Laughed my ass off the first time I went there. :lol

I'm a few pages late, but you can rob stores. When you stand next to a register you get a prompt to press L1/LB to open it. I was really psyched that this feature returned.

Top Bottom