• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Darunia said:
As are the races, unexpectedly

Surprisingly I agree. At least the race playlist. GTA race quickly devolves into people just fucking around and trying to kill everybody. The races are easier to do because there is no team concept in effect.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
bud said:
:lol

did you win

i kept spawning in between the middle of the two teams, so it was like no man's land and i was the man. just got hit with a rocket launcher for like 20 minutes. i tried to record footage so i could post it here but my camera battery died.

voltron

So theres a character called Bernie later on in the game. To anyone not up to it yet dont freak out - its not a spoiler to name a character.

Anyway I think they may have run out of time or something while doing the cutscenes with this guys missions:lol The very first time you meet him - at the end of the mission - the cutscene with Niko uses the gameplay character model rather than the cut scene model.
:lol
Its INCREDIBLY jarring when you initially notice it. The lip syncing doesnt match up and the animations are jerky and shitty. Also there seems to be less detail in the face and facial features. -it looked exactly like how the cut scenes used to look in older GTA's:lol :lol

And then the very next mission for this Bernie guy they do it again. It looks awful!

Has this been mentioned in the thread already?(I easily could have missed it). Its possible that they did this with other cutscenes in the game too and I didnt notice it - but I can sure as fuck notice it now and it aint pretty

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
voltron said:
Has this been mentioned in the thread already?(I easily could have missed it). Its possible that they did this with other cutscenes in the game too and I didnt notice it - but I can sure as fuck notice it now and it aint pretty

That's done quite a bit through the game, actually. Kinda weird.

Wizpig

Sometimes killing random people makes you feel really bad.
I mean, there was this girl making photos, i stole her camera and threw it at her.
She died.

MMaRsu said:
Damn you're fishbulb? awesome :D

Why did you leave all of a sudden, internet problems?

Anyway I had fun last night ^_^
In order to play games online properly I have to plug the 360 directly into the modem, and people started getting pissed off. :lol People were screaming at me during the final part of Bomb da Base.

MMaRsu

BobFromPikeCreek said:
In order to play games online properly I have to plug the 360 directly into the modem, and people started getting pissed off. :lol People were screaming at me during the final part of Bomb da Base.

Hehe okay, I see what you mean :)

My opinion on the game. The good: Great humor in the game. I watched on the TV an entire episode of "I'm Rich" and couldn't stop laughing my ass off. I like the ads too: "Rent now a limo and feel like a rich CEO who just laid off 10,000 people!" Some very fun missions, so far the story is interesting and the music selection is BIG. Cover system is pretty nice addition too.

The bad: I played both versions the graphics are fucking dissapointing. Shitty blur on the PS3 version, annoying dithering and pop-ups in the X360 version. Everything else not impressive at all. The journalists who rated this mess a 10 in graphics are morons.

Also it still feels a lot like the old games, sometimes I forget I'm playing it on a next-gen console, the general atmosphere of the game didn't change at all in the transition between gens like many games do. No major innovations and the overhyped mobile functions although good are not that great.

Maybe I need to play it more...

Doc Evils

fortified_concept said:
My opinion on the game. The good: Great humor in the game. I watched on the TV an entire episode of "I'm Rich" and couldn't stop laughing my ass off. I like the ads too: "Rent now a limo and feel like a rich CEO who just laid off 10,000 people". Some very fun missions, so far the story is interesting and the music selection is BIG. Cover system is pretty nice addition too.

The bad: I played both versions the graphics are fucking dissapointing. Shitty blur on the PS3 version, annoying dithering and pop-ups in the X360 version. The journalists who rated this mess a 10 in graphics are morons.

Also it still feels a lot like the old games, sometimes I forget I'm playing it on a next-gen console, the general atmosphere of the game didn't change at all in the transition between gens like many games do. No major innovations and the overhyped mobile functions although good are not that great.

Maybe I need to play it more...

It's funny you say that. My cousin and my friend both weren't really impressed by the game, and they are the COD4/need for speed type of player. If the casual can notice this, something is wrong.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Roman's cabbie is hilarious. It's a mini-narrative in itself.:lol

BTW< i was getting pissed that michelle's fondness rating wasn't going down at all, so i gave her a call, picked her up, and took her out...

to the docks, where i drove the car off the edge (I jumped out rolling, first, off course) and then when she tried to climb back up, I took out my shotty and put her down.:lol It only dropped 15% after that, wtf!

Hootie

Holy crap! I just threw a molotov cocktail at a cop hiding behind a fire hydrant, and WHILE he was burning he crawled over to the fire hydrant and turned it on, allowing the water to shoot up and put the fire out! Details like that never cease to amaze me. Props to Rockstar for being so awesome like that :D

Of course, I ended up shooting that cop in the face with a combat shotgun at point-blank range :lol

Pharmacy

Banned
Hootie said:
Holy crap! I just threw a molotov cocktail at a cop hiding behind a fire hydrant, and WHILE he was burning he crawled over to the fire hydrant and turned it on, allowing the water to shoot up and put the fire out! Details like that never cease to amaze me. Props to Rockstar for being so awesome like that :D

Of course, I ended up shooting that cop in the face with a combat shotgun at point-blank range :lol

yeah, the extra details are what make this game; one time i ran up to a group of people and aimed an rpg at the floor killing myself, then in the slowmo camera niko dropped the rpg launcher and when it fell on the floor A PEDESTRIAN STEPPED ON IT WHICH FIRED IT AND IT BLEW UP A COP CAR!

fortified_concept said:
Also it still feels a lot like the old games, sometimes I forget I'm playing it on a next-gen console, the general atmosphere of the game didn't change at all in the transition between gens like many games do

Not that I'm picking on you but what major next gen advances are you comparing this too? Nearly all games this gen feel like last gen to me except the 3d is more capable and the graphics are better.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Yeah, I'm really starting to despise the overused chases. Especially when I'm forced to use the fucking bikes again and again. Look, I pulled up with a big fucking shitbox of a car because I know this wad is going to jump on a bike. I'd like to run him over. Thanks for making the car disappear altogether and giving me a crummy crotch rocket so I'm forced into a slow speed chase.

Ugh.

I really like the narrative of the game and the living world is pretty amazing, but the mechanic needs a pretty good overhaul. The cover system and targeting is a nice change of pace, but the main control still feels really clunky with the exception of the cockpit driving for autos, which is stellar.

voltron

Wizpig said:
WHAT.
I'll never finish this game -_-

Also, is it normal that i can't do work for Roman at this point of the game? =(

Whats your definition of finish? I havent 100%'d a GTA game yet but I ALWAYS finish the narrative and the major missions. Who gives a fuck about 100% in a game like GTA with so much minutiae do sift thru in order to get it done.

Oozer3993

Who else is going for a key? I don't have anything to do for the next couple days so I'm going to make a run at it. I'm at 73% right now. Things I've done:

- Story Complete
- Assassination Missions
- Most Wanted Missions
- Vigilante Missions
- Brucie Races

Danielsan

voltron said:
what are these assassination and vigilante missions? Do you unlock them when you finish the story?
Assasination missions become unlocked later on the third island. Vigilante missions can be accesed through the police computer (when you're in a police car).

Won

Oozer3993 said:
Who else is going for a key? I don't have anything to do for the next couple days so I'm going to make a run at it. I'm at 73% right now. Things I've done:

- Story Complete
- Assassination Missions
- Most Wanted Missions
- Vigilante Missions
- Brucie Races

I would love to do it, but I just checked the social club and it seems that the site thinks I only did 36% instead of 70% so far. But I have to admit, that I have no clue how this site works.

Stoney Mason said:
Not that I'm picking on you but what major next gen advances are you comparing this too? Nearly all games this gen feel like last gen to me except the 3d is more capable and the graphics are better.

MGS4: Fucking impressive battlefield compared to the bunkers and quiet forests in the other MGSs. Complete change of atmosphere.

Killzone 2: Massive graphics update is enough although animations and spectacular setpieces plus weather and destructable enviroments are great too. Not a complete change of atmosphere but it's more than enough.

Yeah they haven't been released yet but that's all I can think of since many sequels haven't even been shown yet and others have failed miserably (see Silent Hill).

But GTA feels exactly the same, even the sounds from the city and pedestrians, the graphics that feel incomplete, the art, the city which has only a few places that you can enter and actually explore and pretty much everything else. Yes there are some impressive details like the one some people have mentioned that make you say "Wow" but this kind of details can't change a game and after the two PS2 sequels that felt like expansion packs and this one now I'm starting to think Rockstar doesn't know how to make real sequels, instead they're rehashing the same game again and again.

Like I said though, maybe I'm too critical so I'll have to finish the game until I can tell with absolute certainty.

voltron

Danielsan said:
Assasination missions become unlocked later on the third island. Vigilante missions can be accesed through the police computer (when you're in a police car).

ahh fancy name for current crimes yeah? Ive done a shit load of the most wanted criminals including all on the east island. I thought those current crime things were just random and not worth worrying about.

voltron

fortified_concept said:
MGS4: Fucking impressive battlefield compared to the bunkers and quiet forests in the other MGSs. Complete change of atmosphere.

Killzone 2: Massive graphics update is enough although animations and spectacular setpieces plus weather and destructable enviroments are great too. Not a complete change of atmosphere but it's more than enough.

Yeah they haven't been released yet but that's all I can think of since many sequels haven't even been shown yet and others have failed miserably (see Silent Hill).

But GTA feels exactly the same, even the sounds from the city and pedestrians, the graphics that feel incomplete, the art, the city which has only a few places that you can enter and actually explore and pretty much everything else. Yes there are some impressive details like the one some people have mentioned that make you say "Wow" but this kind of details can't change a game and after the two PS2 sequels that felt like expansion packs and this one now I'm starting to think Rockstar doesn't know how to make real sequels, instead they're rehashing the same game again and again.

Like I said though, maybe I'm too critical so I'll have to finish the game until I can tell with absolute certainty.

Theyre not trying to make sequels. each subsequent GTA is a more accurate expression of their primary vision. I mean what do you want? The game called GTA is an open-world free roaming city with a story based mission structure. It will always be that. The stories change in each - just like in sequels of movies.

voltron said:
Theyre not trying to make sequels. each subsequent GTA is a more accurate expression of their primary vision. I mean what do you want? The game called GTA is an open-world free roaming city with a story based mission structure. It will always be that. The stories change in each - just like in sequels of movies.

To tell you the truth I can't tell you specifically what changes I want but I can give you the result I want. I want to play a game that doesn't feel exactly like GTA3 after three sequels and one generation leap. Also I'm one of those people that can stand a couple of sequels looking the same but after that generation has passed I demand more than pretty shadows and better geometry. I'm not a particularly creative person but I'm sure they could have found a way to change the mission and story structure too -even just a bit- instead of keeping it exactly the same.

Btw the way I see it EDGE has lost a lot of its credibility because of this (actually the way it's going lately it'll meet the majority of reviewers soon and their pure mediocrity, to say the least). One of their biggest criteria for rating games is supposed to be innovation. It's either moneyhats or just stupid hype, but they certainly didn't rate it according to their review standards.

fortified_concept said:

I agree with you. I've finished the game and overall it does feel like previous GTA's but with better graphics. Even then my opinion on GTA4's graphical prowess is mixed. The level of detail in this game isn't consistent. Some aspects of the city like the buildings are a wonder to behold but then there are also textures that are still very last gen and prevalent enough to make the area look terrible like the 2D plants and trees. One thing that I would wish GTA would just completely overhaul is their character models and animation. I'm growing weary of the Frankenstein motion of all the characters. They just don't look good period.

fortified_concept said:

I haven't followed Kill Zone 2 that much so if it's something radically different from other first person shooters then I'll tip my hat. From the outside looking in, it seems to be another FPS with very good graphics which is where alot of the buzz seems to be centered.

MSG 4 does appear to be different but then that series has always been about the snake character and some over-arching weird mythology I've never really bought into.

As I said, I'm not sure what people were expecting and most of the complaints from most people seem to be that it doesn't have some of the stuff from SA which is a valid complaint but not exactly a cutting edge one.

It is part of a series of games and a series of games generally don't change philosophy unless the sales drop or critical approval drops.

Is it a revolutionary title? No. Is it the culmination of many of the aspects that I played GTA for especially the story. Yes. Although opinions may vary as usual.

fortified_concept said:
To tell you the truth I can't tell you specifically what changes I want but I can give you the result I want. I want to play a game that doesn't feel exactly like GTA3 after three sequels and one generation leap. I'm one of those people that can stand a couple of sequels looking the same but after that generation has passed I demand more than pretty shadows and better geometry. I'm not a particularly creative person but I'm sure they could have found a way to change the mission and story structure too - even just a bit-instead of keeping it exactly the same.

Btw EDGE is officially a joke now. One of their biggest criteria for rating games is supposed to be innovation. It's either moneyhats or just stupid hype, but they certainly didn't rate it according to these criteria.

Actually, I'd say I'm a bit let down with GTA IV because it WASN"T like the last game. Its a step back imo.

If it had been the scope of GTA:SA in almost every regard from map size, to weapons, to vehicles and everything else It would have been a wonderful upgrade into next gen with the addition of multiplayer, a better story, story decisions, and the overall polish and upgrade to the game and combat system.

But thats not what we really get here. We get a product that imo was inferior to SA as far as depth is concerned.

BeeDog

Spoiler regarding "Blood Brothers":
I decided to kill Francis because I couldn't stand that motherfucker, but then I noticed his Mission completion percentage was at 83,33%. What am I missing out on? :(

Please help, gotta fucking know before I can continue playing.

Just to let you guys know, completing nothing but story missions translates to ~68% completion. That hopefully should tell you how far along you are with minimal spoiling..

Gully State said:
Just to let you guys know, completing nothing but story missions translates to ~68% completion. That hopefully should tell you how far along you are with minimal spoiling..

Close enough. I was at 62% when I finished as I stick almost exclusively to the main storyline.

Core407

Banned
Gully State said:

The last two weeks of classes cannot end soon enough. I just want to spend a 9 hour play session on the game but time is money and I'm broke as hell right now.

chase

Just a few random thoughts after playing for 55 hours.

This is the best looking game I've ever played. Of the games I haven't played, I can only see Crysis, Ratchet, and Uncharted besting it. I agree about the animation and character models in cutscenes. And there's too much pop up, especially close to you. But at any moment it looks stunningly realistic.

I reserved judgment on the soundtrack but it really sucks. It's all hip hop, Puerto Rican, and shit. Even most of the rock sucks. There are only a few good songs here scattered around. Also on the radio, the humor is at lot worse this time around as well, so blatant and obvious.

Popping into and out of cover needs to be quicker but otherwise works great.

I wish there were more of a sense of progression. You meet new people, but it's all the same format all the way through. There's no sense of becoming bigger or more important. Maybe I'm old fashioned and unable to appreciate the subtle storytelling or whatever, but I like that feeling in my video games and wish it were here.

There are too many characters introduced seemingly at random. I think this could be handled a lot better. All these disparate parts that, by and large, pay only lip service to each other and the games' main storyline.

Amazing game, I'm going for 100% now.

Odrion

Banned
So all in all with my complaints this is still the best game this generation and probably was worth the 10 from IGN.

Online Mafia Work can be a hoot sometimes.

Oozer3993

Won said:
I would love to do it, but I just checked the social club and it seems that the site thinks I only did 36% instead of 70% so far. But I have to admit, that I have no clue how this site works.

The site has been updating real slowly. Where does it say your completion percentage on the site?

BeeDog said:
Spoiler regarding "Blood Brothers":
I decided to kill Francis because I couldn't stand that motherfucker, but then I noticed his Mission completion percentage was at 83,33%. What am I missing out on? :(

Please help, gotta fucking know before I can continue playing.

Don't worry. Keep playing. You're fine. Trust me.

Top Bottom