• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Oozer3993 said:
The site has been updating real slowly. Where does it say your completion percentage on the site?
If you try to access the 100% club - I've done 75%, the site hasn't updated past 46% for me yet, if I get 100% before the 19th, I wonder if the site will pick it up before then also.

Barrett2

chase said:
Just a few random thoughts after playing for 55 hours.

I wish there were more of a sense of progression. You meet new people, but it's all the same format all the way through. There's no sense of becoming bigger or more important. Maybe I'm old fashioned and unable to appreciate the subtle storytelling or whatever, but I like that feeling in my video games and wish it were here.

There are too many characters introduced seemingly at random. I think this could be handled a lot better. All these disparate parts that, by and large, pay only lip service to each other and the games' main storyline.

I agree with you 100%. While the story entertained me, I felt oddly disconnected from everything. A few days ago while playing I was talking to Roman on the phone and Niko made some comment about Roman being
rich and successful
. Did I miss something; when did that happen?

And getting towards the end, it definitely feels like there is a glut of new characters being introduced too quickly. While Roman, Brucie, and some others felt important to the narrative, most of the characters later in the game feel like throwaways that I couldn't care less about.

Also, I don't know if I am doing it wrong, but I am almost finished with the main storyline and I am basically poor. I only have about $40,000. Shouldn't Niko be more rich by now? It feels like I have to spend all my money on new weapons all the time. At the rate I am buying new weapons, I will go broke before I finish the game. I am avoiding using any cheat codes, since I found that was partly what made me lose interest in previous GTA games; but I am sick of being so poor. -_-

lawblob said:
I agree with you 100%. While the story entertained me, I felt oddly disconnected from everything. A few days ago while playing I was talking to Roman on the phone and Niko made some comment about Roman being
rich and successful
. Did I miss something along the way? When did that happen?
Roman started getting good at gambling and made it big. They didn't really go into detail about it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
burgerdog said:
Yikes, I've only done about 12. I'm guessing the last car you steal is the Infernus?

It's all randomized. Speaking of Stevie, where the hell do you take the car after you take it?

Nevermind, I see the garage.

Flunkie

Banned
For those who beat the game:

Have you been able to access The Story Gang on Rockstar Social Club? I've beaten the story, but it still says I haven't beaten it, and won't allow me access to The Story Gang.

Doc Evils

flunkie4455 said:
For those who beat the game:

Have you been able to access The Story Gang on Rockstar Social Club? I've beaten the story, but it still says I haven't beaten it, and won't allow me access to The Story Gang.

it's just a leaderboard.

Sadaiyappan said:
I've beaten the story too and it says I've yet to beat it in the social club.
Yeah, me too. Plus, I'm up to like 70% completed, but the social club says I'm only at 31.

I just hope it's all resolved by the time the Key to the City contest is over.

Bah, if it's not indestructible cars you have to chase to the designated end of chase point needlessly wasting bullets as you don't know its an indestructible chase, its times like this in:

Pegorino's Pride, where I'm told we are have to chase and kill some people who happen to be in a car - I shoot the car, it catches on fire and then and only then am I told that maybe setting the car on fire wasn't what I was supposed to do and to top it off restarting places me on the other side of the island having to drive all the way back and redo the bit I've already done (which is like a kick in the chest when I'm already down, add some fricking checkpoints to your next game Rockstar).

Oh good, now I don't have any body armour as well, making the chances of me failing it again even higher, nice one Rockstar.

Just finished the game. Wow, the first GTA game I ever finished. Great experience and now I can sit back and do all the jumps and find all the pigeons.

I can't wait for the DLC.

Barrett2

Darkflight said:
Bah, if it's not indestructible cars you have to chase to the designated end of chase point needlessly wasting bullets as you don't know its an indestructible chase, its times like this in:

Pegorino's Pride, where I'm told we are have to chase and kill some people who happen to be in a car - I shoot the car, it catches on fire and then and only then am I told that maybe setting the car on fire wasn't what I was supposed to do and to top it off restarting places me on the other side of the island having to drive all the way back and redo the bit I've already done (which is like a kick in the chest when I'm already down, add some fricking checkpoints to your next game Rockstar).

That is absolutely infuriating. It seems to be happening all the time at the missions near the end of the game. When the on-screen text gives you some vague instruction like "stop the gangsters," how am I supposed to know that doesn't mean kill them while in the car?

Seriously, having to do a mission three times in a row before you realize there is a pre-determined location the chase must end at is so infuriating.

lawblob said:
That is absolutely infuriating. It seems to be happening all the time at the missions near the end of the game. When the on-screen text gives you some vague instruction like "stop the gangsters," how am I supposed to know that doesn't mean kill them while in the car?

Seriously, having to do a mission three times in a row before you realize there is a pre-determined location the chase must end at is so infuriating.
Indeed, especially as every time you restart you have less and less ammo and less and less armour, its retarded, 10/10 my ass.

Darkflight said:
Indeed, especially as every time you restart you have less and less ammo and less and less armour, its retarded, 10/10 my ass.

Every time I think I think that, they end up doing it because clearly there's something worth seeing.

Mission: No Way But The Subway

Sorry, but fucking chasing the biker dude all the way over the bridge was fucking AMAZING. I'll pay for more body armor and bullets to play through that. Any fucking time.

FIFTEEN/10.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Every time I think I think that, they end up doing it because clearly there's something worth seeing.

Mission: No Way But The Subway

Sorry, but fucking chasing the biker dude all the way over the bridge was fucking AMAZING. I'll pay for more body armor and bullets to play through that. Any fucking time.

FIFTEEN/10.
I loved that mission, made me sad that in free mode
the subway trains don't run
I'm just a tad annoyed having to do this mission so many times, hopefully the attempt I'm on now is my last, you are kinda right, I see past the Cortana level in Halo 3 for it's 10, but that's one level, not a mechanic that sits behind every mission.

Darkflight said:
I loved that mission, made me sad that in free mode
the subway trains don't run
I'm just a tad annoyed having to do this mission so many times, hopefully the attempt I'm on now is my last, you are kinda right, I see past the Cortana level in Halo 3 for it's 10, but that's one level, not a mechanic that sits behind every mission.

Not every mission has those rules, though. I've had missions where I could take a guy out easily at the beginning. You can usually tell. If insane random shit is happening that clearly impedes you, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Wow, the funeral mission is pretty fricking rad. I'm really enjoying the Packie story of late. Also, the one with
Niko stealing the truck of heroin from the triads for the mafia was sweet (riding the top of a truck ftw).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Not every mission has those rules, though. I've had missions where I could take a guy out easily at the beginning. You can usually tell. If insane random shit is happening that clearly impedes you, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

There are some missions where it is actually hard to tell until later. The vehicles still seem to take damage like tires popping, so you don't think it's invincible until it hits a fucking truck head on and makes it go hurling. Still, they shouldn't mislead you by saying "take out so and so" and instead simply say "follow so and so to where ever".

raYne

UncleGuito said:
Wow, the funeral mission is pretty fricking rad. I'm really enjoying the Packie story of late. Also, the one with
Niko stealing the truck of heroin from the triads for the mafia was sweet (riding the top of a truck ftw).
The game needed WAY more of this type of thing.

There are far too many "shoot this guy" & "chase that guy" missions.

Papercuts said:
There are some missions where it is actually hard to tell until later. The vehicles still seem to take damage like tires popping, so you don't think it's invincible until it hits a fucking truck head on and makes it go hurling. Still, they shouldn't mislead you by saying "take out so and so" and instead simply say "follow so and so to where ever".

Well, honestly, where would the fun be in that? There are "follow" missions and there are "chase" missions. They can't rule some missions "chase but not too hard, okay now start shooting".

I mean, look. GTA games are half open world amazingness and half very tightly controlled action game. In this game, in my opinion of course, both are handled extraordinarily well. I think the Immortality Mechanic, while frustrating for maybe a second or two, has in every instance been vindicated by whatever it forced me into.

Barrett2

UncleGuito said:

Funeral mission was great. Rocket launcher is a must-have on that one :D

kylej

Banned
I turned a corner and found a few Sanchez'.....

33829IMG_0272.jpg

Every single color variation on one road.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
kylej said:
I turned a corner and found a few Sanchez'.....

33829IMG_0272.jpg

Every single color variation on one road.

Get in a different vehicle and drive past. I've seen it do that with all kinds of cars. I thought it was a glitch.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Unghg, I think my Xbox is about to give up the ghost.
I was just playing MP and got two disc read errors in a row.
The disc hasn't left my system came out so I'm sure it's in perfect condition.

junker

Sorry for bumping my own post; I'm kinda desperate here.

junker said:
I've Googled the hell out of this and can't find a solution. Stuck waiting for "Final Interview."

I have no more jobs to do for Playboy after "Photo Shoot."

Nothing left for Brucie after "No. 1"

I have no missions to do for Elizabeta after "Blow Your Cover." From what I've researched, I should've gotten a call from her after "Puerto Rico Connection" to initiate further jobs.

I got a call from Francis after submitting the resume but haven't heard from the lawyers. I have a suit, shoes, no glasses, whatever. This can't be the problem because I can't even get an appointment scheduled. I've waited several in-game days and nothing except one text message saying they were closed and would contact me later. Never called.

I've tried advancing time by sleeping (can you do this without saving?) with no luck.

I've gone out countless times with Roman and Michelle.

Phone is NOT in sleep mode and I can't call anyone anyway; I get their machine.

I've restarted from previous saves and done the last few missions in a different order but I still can't progress; there's nothing left to do!

Please tell me I'm overlooking something obvious.

No way to initiate the call from the law firm or continue Elizabeta's missions? I'll probably start over. Someday.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, honestly, where would the fun be in that? There are "follow" missions and there are "chase" missions. They can't rule some missions "chase but not too hard, okay now start shooting".

Actually I think they can. I personally didn't overly have a problem with the chase missions in the game being scripted but it is a little disingenuous not to give the user the real low down on what is possible. I would have preferred they were a little more clear on the details during the chase with text.

Top Bottom