• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

isamu said:
Thanks man that's appreciated. I'm determined not to turn it on at all. Just takes away from the skill needed to win the gunfights. I DO get tempted to activate the health cheats though :lol , but nah, I won't give in(hopefully).

I don't mean to butt-in on the conversation your chaps are having, but since I also played through the game without auto-aim I thought that I might throw in my two cents.

I thought that it got pretty tough especially on the
"Snow Storm" mission for Elizabeta
and the last couple of missions especially the
Revenge Strand
, but for the most part I didn't think that it was too bad.

A lot of people thought CoD4 was ridiculously hard on Veteran, but I didn't have too much of trouble with it, thatis until I came to the Mile High Club achievement/mission. When I finally turned it on after beating the game, it was like in CoD going from Vet to a lower difficulty. Anyway, it just took patience on my part. Failing some missions like 5-7 times just because I didn't know where to go or what to do. Not trying to sound smug or whatever either, so don't take it that way preciouses.

So, kudos my non-auto aiming friend. I recommend it, you get way more engaged to the story and everything if your sweating bullets all the way through. :lol

raYne

I've had a stand off going with the cops for a while now.

Went to check something on the in-game internet and realised that I've never killed that annoying Algonquin Tw@ receptionist before. So I kill him and people in the cafe start running, so I kill them too. Cops start swarming in and I'm taking them out one at a time while hiding behind the first set of computer terminals until I'm up to six stars. Then chaos ensues and FIB/SWAT starts storming in.

Bodies are piling up so much that the framerate's dropping. There's like a pile a 30 bodies blocking the entrance and I shoot the door open planning to blow up the cars outside with a Molotov. I aim too high and hit the top of the door frame. This lights all the bodies on fire and I now have a big flame wall stopping everyone from entering. :lol If they manage to make it through, they're greeted by AR bullets. Which of course sends them back into the flames only helping it to burn hotter and brighter.

Ended up killing so many people that the FIB/SWAT seemingly gave up and Cops are just running to their deaths.

The standoff continues. :D

raYne said:
I've had a stand off going with the cops for a while now.

Went to check something on the in-game internet and realised that I've never killed that annoying Algonquin Tw@ receptionist before. So I kill him and people in the cafe start running, so I kill them too. Cops start swarming in and I'm taking them out one at a time while hiding behind the first set of computer terminals until I'm up to six stars. Then chaos ensues and FIB/SWAT starts storming in.

Bodies are piling up so much that the framerate's dropping. There's like a pile a 30 bodies blocking the entrance and I shoot the door open planning to blow up the cars outside with a Molotov. I aim too high and hit the top of the door frame. This lights all the bodies on fire and I now have a big flame wall stopping everyone from entering. :lol If they manage to make it through, they're greeted by AR bullets. Which of course sends them back into the flames only helping it to burn hotter and brighter.

Ended up killing so many people that the FIB/SWAT seemingly gave up and Cops are just running to their deaths.

The standoff continues. :D

better hope jack tompson isnt stealth trolling...

raYne

AndyIsTheMoney said:
better hope jack tompson isnt stealth trolling...
Were I anywhere near to being a minor, that might've been a concern. (..and not really even then either. :lol)

Anway, ended up running out of AR rounds, SMG rounds and molotovs. Then had to depend on the shotgun for a while until it started running low. I made my way towards the door to rearm, firing shotgun rounds all the way to clear the way. Grabbed ammo and was backing up and like 4 SWAT guys came through the door at the same time. So I'm laying shells into them with Niko doing his usual trash talking, but I have to reload. Unfortunately I thought they were down for good, but the shotgun only knocked them down. I manage to take out 2 of the four and the other two take me out. *sobs*

voltron

So..... is there any armor on the last mission?
"Out Of Commission"

-edit- forget that.... dont need it. I have however tried this mission 5 times now with no success:

That fucking chopper at the end! First time I missed the jump on the bike. 2nd time I went too low and hit the water. 3rd time I got hit with a missile and spun into the water. And two random deaths before that.

fun fun fun!

Manager

This has probably been explained 2000 times, but:
Someone in another thread said that MS actually didn't pay 50 mil for the DLC, what did he mean? I've tried Googling it without success.

rjcc

Lobster said:
How do I not use auto aim?

Its ridiculously annoying!

Ps3 version btw.

half press the trigger. you should be able to turn it off entirely in the settings menu, but i'm playing 360 so YMMV, but it should be the same.

BeeDog

Damn, the more I play the game, the more I realize there's so much wasted potential in not using the city efficiently. This game has the best realized game world by far, but too many missions are based in worthless locations. There are some much cooler places, like the industrial area, the airport, some inner-city garages, etc. and they are severely underutilized. Sure, some of them pop up in vigilante missions, for example, but still... :(

MCD

Manager said:
Someone in another thread said that MS actually didn't pay 50 mil for the DLC, what did he mean? I've tried Googling it without success.
it was a loan, someone can further explain because that's all i know.

chedabob

voltron said:
So..... is there any armor on the last mission?
"Out Of Commission"

-edit- forget that.... dont need it. I have however tried this mission 5 times now with no success:

That fucking chopper at the end! First time I missed the jump on the bike. 2nd time I went too low and hit the water. 3rd time I got hit with a missile and spun into the water. And two random deaths before that.

fun fun fun!

You're supposed to get hit by the missile. It triggers a cut-scene :S

voltron

chedabob said:
You're supposed to get hit by the missile. It triggers a cut-scene :S

Ahh ok cheers.

As far as th 50mil from MS I believe it was like a down payment kind of thing that is to be paid back after the DLC is developed and sold.

I could be wrong.

boco77

Banned
Anyone else getting problems trying to get the fly under bridges with helicopter achivement? I have flown under them all and theres no indicators telling me how many I have left or icons on the map that are supposed to be there apparently. So its like its not registering that im flying under any of them...

test_account

XP-39C²
raYne said:
It's seemingly making less splashes because you're digging the front into the water. Keeping the front of the boat elevated makes you go faster. You also shouldn't be making sharp turns for the same reason. All it does is slow you down...
Ah yes, like that, that makes sense, the less of the boat that is in the water they faster it goes. I tried not to make big turns. I also hold the left analogstick and i made it now :) Thanks again for the help! :)

PirateSean said:
It didn't make sense to me. All I know is I tried a countless number of times (posted in here for help too!) and after holding back all the way, got it first time..
I just tried it and it worked great! :) I
crashed the helicopter once
so i had to try it again, but then i
reached the helicopter 2 times in a row
so it seems that it really helped to hold the left analogstick backwards to make the boat go faster. I also made it the first time when i held the left analogstick backwards :) Thanks again for the help! :)

voltron

boco77 said:
Anyone else getting problems trying to get the fly under bridges with helicopter achivement? I have flown under them all and theres no indicators telling me how many I have left or icons on the map that are supposed to be there apparently. So its like its not registering that im flying under any of them...

Its really not hard.... its only the bridges that go over water. have you done the ones over on the West Island that go over that canal? Theres some tricky ones there that you might have missed.

boco77

Banned
voltron said:
Its really not hard.... its only the bridges that go over water. have you done the ones over on the West Island that go over that canal? Theres some tricky ones there that you might have missed.

Yeah thats the thing, I have flown under the bridges more than once and having read description on how to get the achivement, i thought it was supposed to tell you how many you have left or have icons on the map showing which ones are left? Its never shown any of this for me and I use Bruce's chopper, tried it with a helitour chopper and same thing. Went under the canal ones on the west island too.

Eriatarka

Banned
boco77 said:
Yeah thats the thing, I have flown under the bridges more than once and having read description on how to get the achivement, i thought it was supposed to tell you how many you have left or have icons on the map showing which ones are left? Its never shown any of this for me and I use Bruce's chopper, tried it with a helitour chopper and same thing. Went under the canal ones on the west island too.
That is really odd.
You might want to try it with an old save file...that might help somehow.

rhino4evr

boco77 said:

When you fly under a bridge and it says "X more for Achievement" you can press pause and it will show you all the bridges you have left for a short period of time. If you go on the Xbox forums and go to the achievement topic someone has posted a map of all the locations. one or two of them are a bit buggy. Mainly the most SouthWestern bridge has to be flown under the "smaller" area of the bridge.

Yeah the only bridge I had trouble with was the southwestern one. Keep trying it in different places is all I can say. I had to do it with 6 stars.:lol

rhino4evr

Nexus Zero said:
Yeah the only bridge I had trouble with was the southwestern one. Keep trying it in different places is all I can say. I had to do it with 6 stars.:lol

I kept crashing into the water. One time with Brucie and the girls on board. WHOOPs.

boco77

Banned
rhino4evr said:
When you fly under a bridge and it says "X more for Achievement" you can press pause and it will show you all the bridges you have left for a short period of time.
It has never shown this :(

rhino4evr

boco77 said:
It has never shown this :(

Really? Thats strange. You do have a 360 right?

The first time I noticed it was in the first heli-copter mission. I was chasing something under a birdge and the "13 bridges for achievement" popped up on the top of the screen. Maybe you have to do the helicopter mission before it works?

mxz

Damnit, I'm still stuck just after Pest Control and Entourage. There's nothing on the map to go to, no missions. What is happening?

spanks

Just spent the last couple hours doing the cop missions, mucking around with custom soundtracks since the cars have no radio. And I gotta recommend the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack- its even got intros/outros like a radio station (K-Billy Super-sounds of the 70s!)

Intrepyd

Neo Member
For some reason, I could only activate the heli bridge achievement while taking Brucie for a joyride, so give that a shot.

I also wanted to comment on auto-aim. Don't think of it as a crutch. It's an intended component of the shooting system. The engine just doesn't work well with unassisted free aim. If you feel the need to fight the clunky engine in pursuit of a more authentic third-person shooter experience, this is the wrong game.

By the way, has R* given any indication that there's a fix for the massive overscan people are experiencing on CRT monitors? The mini-map, ammo counts, and other vital information is cut off because they didn't stick to "title-safe" areas of the display.

wotter

voltron said:

fun fun fun!

I'm also at the last mission.
Failed it three times because I miss the chopper everytime

fun fun fun indeed :(

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Lobster said:
How do I not use auto aim?

Its ridiculously annoying!

Ps3 version btw.
You can turn it off completely if you like. Pause the game and go to controls. You'll see an option for auto aim.

Dyno

Another shout out for no auto-aim. I feel the game plays better without it. I'm not too far in but after Snow Storm the free aiming clicked perfectly with me.

Three Leaf Clover... DAMN!

psycho_snake

Dyno said:
Three Leaf Clover... DAMN!
I got upto that mission yesterday. I've jhad a few attempts at it and still havent done it. So far its the hardest mission I've attempted

What makes it even more annoying is that you
cant use a taxi to get the the bank; instead you have to find a 4 door car and drive packie and co to the bank.
It gets really annoying after redoing the mission several times

raYne

Manager said:
It's a loan with the clause that if MS doesn't make X amount of money back (ie a shitload), they get repaid their loan in full.

People just like to ignore that in their "lol 50 mil" talk.

Moray

psycho_snake said:
What makes it even more annoying is that you
cant use a taxi to get the the bank; instead you have to find a 4 door car and drive packie and co to the bank.
It gets really annoying after redoing the mission several times

You can use a helicopter though.

Also, regarding Three Leaf Clover,
definitely get some body armor before you start the mission. There should also be some available as drops after you kill some of the cops on the streets.

Triz

has this been mentioned...

2496605994_fc090a0693_o.jpg

not photoshopped thats right from the statue in game. looks damn close to me.

psycho_snake

Moray said:
You can use a helicopter though.

Also, regarding Three Leaf Clover,
definitely get some body armor before you start the mission. There should also be some available as drops after you kill some of the cops on the streets.
yeah the next time I do that mission I'll do what you said in the spoiler tags.

I'll stay away from three leaf clover for now though. I tried it 5 times or so yesterday and it just pissed me off. I'll do other missions and come back to it later.

rc213

psycho_snake said:

I'll stay away from three leaf clover for now though. I tried it 5 times or so yesterday and it just pissed me off. I'll do other missions and come back to it later.

Use Little Jacob to stock up on plenty of ammo and armor for a discount. :D M4 Carbin or AK-47 really really help in this mission.

psycho_snake said:

Body Armor is ESSENTIAL in TLC. I beat it on my first try, but I was lucky enough to have started the mission with body armor by chance. There were several times where I went from full health and armor to one hit left until death.

raYne

rc213 said:
Use Little Jacob to stock up on plenty of ammo and armor for a discount. :D M4 Carbin or AK-47 really really help in this mission.
Pretty sure they give you a M4 automatically at the start of the mission. There's no cutscene or anything to make it obvious that it's given to you, but you won't have it one second and will have it equipped the next. Even if your began the mission with an AK or neither of them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
raYne said:
Pretty sure they give you a M4 automatically at the start of the mission. There's no cutscene or anything to make it obvious that it's given to you, but you won't have it one second and will have it equipped the next. Even if your began the mission with an AK or neither of them.

Yep. They tried to be faithful to Heat in every way :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What was the name of the girl drug addict who offered Niko sex (random character)? I'm crossing off names from the chart and I forgot her name... Is it Marnie?

isamu said:
Thanks man that's appreciated. I'm determined not to turn it on at all. Just takes away from the skill needed to win the gunfights. I DO get tempted to activate the health cheats though :lol , but nah, I won't give in(hopefully).

I had no idea turning the auto aim off made the game that much harder. I've been playing so far without it on and not having too many issues. Already passed Snow Storm after two tries as well. Hmmmm.... hopefully I don't find myself turning the auto aim on at any point either.

TTG

_tetsuo_ said:
i think the game is actually harder with auto-aim on. always aims at what i DONT want to shoot it seems.

Only thing auto aim is good for is aiming at shit in the dark or making sure they're dead.

Top Bottom