• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Are there motorcycle cops in this game last night or am I dreaming?
I blew up and few cars with grenades and killed a few cops. On 4 stars then and being chased by cops and swore I was being chased by cop on bike also.

MMaRsu

navanman said:
Are there motorcycle cops in this game last night or am I dreaming?
I blew up and few cars with grenades and killed a few cops. On 4 stars then and being chased by cops and swore I was being chased by cop on bike also.

Cops can actually command vehicles being used by civillians ;)

Everdred

I just cannot seem to have fun in multiplayer. What does GAF like to play online? I have tried every mode and only had a little fun on free roam. Loved the single player but there is nothing to do after completing the story. Tempted to trade the game in. The downloadable content for 360 is so far off that I don't even want to wait for it. Meanwhile I could still get $35 or more for it and I only paid $40. What should I do GAF!?

Dazzyman

voltron said:
Another thing Ive noticed is that the old GTA thing where you see heaps of duplicates of the car youre driving on the streets.... seems to be way more prevalent than when I started the game.

I managed to get Comet when
Stevie sent his last text msg
by swiping a dupe.... then after saving and loading and driving around for a bit in the Comet, there was about 6 all parked up and around the corner from the Bohan safe house:lol This was after seeing maybe 3 max for the entire game.

The popping of same sports bike is horrific. I did a scenic tour video last night just messing about with a heli then bike and on the bike vid it shows about 12 I think of the same sports bike in one street. Shame as the rest of the game is pure sex :D
http://www.vimeo.com/1032976

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
roosters93 said:
Is there any way to turn off the radio without going into the menu and turning the volume right down?

yes. While the radio is playing, press and hold left on the d pad to turn it off

edit: beaten

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I just cannot seem to have fun in multiplayer. What does GAF like to play online? I have tried every mode and only had a little fun on free roam. Loved the single player but there is nothing to do after completing the story. Tempted to trade the game in. The downloadable content for 360 is so far off that I don't even want to wait for it. Meanwhile I could still get $35 or more for it and I only paid $40. What should I do GAF!?

We had some pretty awesome GTA races the other week, the mad dash for a vehicle at the beginning is awesome, then invariably whoever is last always thinks they can catch up by swimming.

There's one track that ends off shore, which none of us had realised at the time, so about 3 players ended up reaching the edge of the land at the same time, I spotted the finish line through an alley and drove full speed at the sea, hit the barrier at the end of the alley, flew through the windshield and got just the head start I needed to get to the tanker before the people who had found boats.

There was also one round where I was running alongside some other guy, I saw two cars, ran towards them thinking he'd just get in the other one, so I get in and he's just standing in front of my car giggling, then I hear a hollow 'ting ting' sound, and realise he's dropped a grenade under my car, dooming us both, I just about managed to say "oh snap" on the mic before we both got destroyed and burst into hysterics.

Dazzyman said:
The popping of same sports bike is horrific. I did a scenic tour video last night just messing about with a heli then bike and on the bike vid it shows about 12 I think of the same sports bike in one street. Shame as the rest of the game is pure sex :D
http://www.vimeo.com/1032976
Was it infront of the Copy Shop in Bohan? The name is not a coincidence, you know.

Twig

Banned
Finncognito said:
Was it infront of the Copy Shop in Bohan? The name is not a coincidence, you know.
Yeah, I have five Infernuses (Inferni?) parked at my Bohan safehouse. They were all right there, ripe for the picking!

Double D

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah, I have five Infernuses (Inferni?) parked at my Bohan safehouse. They were all right there, ripe for the picking!

Did someone figure out a way to keep more than two cars per safehouse?

mh56 said:
The guy's name is Guk, which they pronounce 'guck.' But in the same scene they do this little exchange where the restaurant "Fuk's" is prounced "fook's." It's their way of doing a cheap comedy bit that Guk's name should be prounced "gook."

I don't see the difference between that and if they had named Sam Jackson's San Andreas character "Officer Niger."

jet1911

Just finished the game (credits are still rolling) with the "good" ending. Great game, I don't have any big complains about it. First time I've finished a GTA game. :lol

Goldrusher

Costanza said:
mind=blown

I didn't fuckin know this.

RTFM ! :p
Or pay attention to the in-game messages in the top left corner explaining everything.

Next you'll tell me you didn't know you can turn off a car by holding triangle (Y on xbox ?).

Goldrusher said:
RTFM ! :p
Or pay attention to the in-game messages in the top left corner explaining everything.

Next you'll tell me you didn't know you can turn off a car by holding triangle (Y on xbox ?).
Or turning on the big lights of a car by holding square (X on xbox ?) :D
I didn't know the two you posted before :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The person who made the co-op achievement only available through ranked play MUST BE SHOT.
What's the point of a co-op achievement where you are forced to play with random people EVERY SINGLE TIME?

I'm willing to bet that no one at Rock Star can legitimately get that achievement without wanting to kill someone.

Dazzyman

Vik_Vaughn said:

Dunno about car but Ive got a heli saved outside mine it stops the entire street from getting past but what do I care. Sports bike next to it for room :lol

Vaxadrin

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:

All you need to do is have 1 tire inside the yellow square. I fit about 10 motorcycles in my Algonquin safehouse parking. Be careful though, if you take a taxi to your safehouse they'll often crash right into your cars, knocking them out of the box.

Also, another cool trick is that on the curved street near your safehouse, there will spawn many instances of the type of car you're driving. Because of this glitch (is it a glitch?), I have about 5 Coquettes parked there.

Twig

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
Code:
|______________________|

If the parking space looks like that and you normally have two cars like this:

Code:
|______________________|

The way I did it was like this.

Code:
  ______  ______  ______
|| car  || car  || car  |
||______||______||______|
|    | car  || car  |  |
|____|______||______|__|

At least, that's a rough "illustration".

I actually haven't checked that safehouse for several play-time hours, so maybe it didn't last. But when I first did it, for funsies, it worked. I parked them all there. Drove around, getting a couple more Stevie cars, came back every time and the Infernuses were still there. Even turned off the game once and they were all still there.

Keep in mind I've had some strange things happen with parking spaces, though.

For example, one time I had three bikes parked and pulled an Infernus up (the one you get from
Bernie
), and parked it. There was still plenty of space. When I turned the game back on, all the bikes were gone. \: Car was still there, though.

Another time, I had two Banshees and a Comet parked in one spot, and it looked like they were fine, but I came back and only one Banshee was left.

I'm still not sure how the parking spots work. Man, I wish I could just buy a damn parking garage in which to store all my cars. ):

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
lawblob said:
I am finished with the game, but I never did the Stevie missions. Is there a way to still do them??

Yeah of course. Track down the first Stevie text on your cell, then find the car/bike and bring it back to his garage (the logo in South Bohan). It won't have an icon, you'll have to find it from the clues or just use the guides online. From then on out he'll send you the next picture. Make sure to sleep after each one because there's a significant time gap between the delivery and text.

rhino4evr

speaking of strange stuff in "reserved" parking places. Yesterday I came out of my loft to find my Comet occupied by some strange person. I thought at first he was trying to steal the car, but he wasn't moving anywhere. so I opened the door and kicked him out of my car. Soon after the cops were alerted. I couldn't believe I was getting busted for stealing my own stolen car.

In other news I've got about 82 missions finished. How many are there total? I am still enjoying the game, but I'm getting a little burnt out on it. I think that the game is just too long for its own good. Once again, I can see tons of "casual" gamers never finishing this.
I think I've spent about 35 hours in Liberty City, which is about 10 hours too long.

Vaxadrin

Banned
rhino4evr said:
speaking of strange stuff in "reserved" parking places. Yesterday I came out of my loft to find my Comet occupied by some strange person. I thought at first he was trying to steal the car, but he wasn't moving anywhere. so I opened the door and kicked him out of my car. Soon after the cops were alerted. I couldn't believe I was getting busted for stealing my own stolen car.

In other news I've got about 82 missions finished. How many are there total? I am still enjoying the game, but I'm getting a little burnt out on it. I think that the game is just too long for its own good. Once again, I can see tons of "casual" gamers never finishing this.
I think I've spent about 35 hours in Liberty City, which is about 10 hours too long.

Who are you doing missions for right now? I think I read somewhere that there are 94 total missions. I remember right before I beat it I thought "this is going on way too long" but then, for some reason, I immediately started over again with a new game, and got back up to Algonquin in one session. Something about this game keeps me coming back, even if I'm just doing shootouts & chase missions over & over.

Barrett2

Darunia said:
Yeah of course. Track down the first Stevie text on your cell, then find the car/bike and bring it back to his garage (the logo in South Bohan). It won't have an icon, you'll have to find it from the clues or just use the guides online. From then on out he'll send you the next picture. Make sure to sleep after each one because there's a significant time gap between the delivery and text.

Thanks; I found the text in my phone. I guess I wasn't paying attention when I received it from him.

rhino4evr said:

there are 90+ story missions. you are near the end

chapel

Banned
rhino4evr said:

Now I agree with you on the last part about the time spent in the main story, but I find it funny that people can complain about the length of games so much. They are either too short, or too long, well what is the right length? No one knows, it depends on the person, the game, the console, and so on.

I personally have enjoyed the game immensely, but there have been a few quirky moments that make me just turn my 360 off. Playing the second to last mission, about to finish it by killing a guy and decide a grenade would do well. Unfortunately the damn thing bounced off of the ceiling and since I was in 'cover' I couldn't just run away from the grenade at my feet. I haven't touched the game for a few days since then.

One thing I wondered, did previous GTA's autosave after missions were completed? I remember having to always save at a safehouse, but I rarely if ever have to save at a safehouse in 4. I also have used taxi's the majority of the game, I love driving in the game, but when you have to go across the islands all the time, getting in a taxi is just faster. It also makes saving cars in your safehouse not really needed, I saved a few cars, mostly just a cop car for easy access but unless a mission needed you to bring a car I would usually just do the taxi thing.

Ryuuga

Banned
Iamthegamer said:
That was a pretty bizarre game tonight, 360 gaf.

It sure was. Outside of the suicide bombings and repeated running animations, it wasn't all that bad. It grew boring fast though. A shame we had so many drop-outs.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Is anyone interesting in playing a custom game mode we created? I'll probably be playing alot of it tonight.

It goes like this:

No blips for regular deathmatch, ally-only blips for team deathmatch
Powerful weapons
Far respawns
No time limit, group concensus kill limit for victory

Be forewarned, games can go on for a very long time, but they're epic.

So I'm wondering how far I am from the end of the game?

I just got a call from UL Papers telling me that the guys I'm working for right now are losers (Pegarino, Phil Bell, etc.) and that he can hook me up with somebody who will serve me better. Also, Roman invited Kate to his wedding on my behalf and she called me about it.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Uno Ill Nino said:
So I'm wondering how far I am from the end of the game?

I just got a call from UL Papers telling me that the guys I'm working for right now are losers (Pegarino, Phil Bell, etc.) and that he can hook me up with somebody who will serve me better. Also, Roman invited Kate to his wedding on my behalf and she called me about it.

Spoiler only in regards to who you're working for, not what happens:
The contact that UL Paper gives you will be the last 2 or 3 missions of the game before the 3 "finale" missions (which are determined by a decision you make). You have to finish Gravelli, Bell, & Pegerino's missions before you unlock the finale missions, though.

So today is the 100% due date for the Key to the City.

Who has beat it, and what is your percentage according to the Social Club.

100%ed last Thursday - 71% at Social Club

Struct09

Revengeance said:
So today is the 100% due date for the Key to the City.

Who has beat it, and what is your percentage according to the Social Club.

100%ed last Thursday - 71% at Social Club

100%'d on Saturday, Social Club is at 62% this morning

What's the key to the city do anyway? Is it just a trophy showing that you were enough of a madman to get 100% in the first few weeks or something?

raYne

Wizpig said:
I just realized there are no Cops-on-a-Bike in this game.
I noticed that immediately, but it didn't bother me that much since there really aren't many bike cops here in the first place.

What does bother me however is that there aren't any scooter cops.

11brkvs.jpg

..:lol

Uno Ill Nino said:
What's the key to the city do anyway? Is it just a trophy showing that you were enough of a madman to get 100% in the first few weeks or something?
Yes. It's nothing in-game and going by the rules, it seems to be something they ship to you. ie dresser decoration.

Uno Ill Nino said:
LOL yeah, pretty much :lol e-pein +

I'm wondering if all the people whose Social Club stat isn't accurate will miss out. That would suck, but...
WINNING ENTRANTS MUST (x) start and complete 100% of the Game during the contest period, (y) have access to the IV 100% CLUB data board on their personal gameplay statistics page by the end of the contest period;
it doesn't look good.

EDIT: called T2 support, and the guy knew nothing. He directed me to a Social Club email, from which I don't expect any response.

socialclub@rockstargames.com

raYne

VanMardigan said:
I miss
Michelle.
She's cuter and much much nicer than
Kate.
:(

I want to get back with
Michelle
. Is it in ANY way possible?
She's never in the game again other than a cutscene.

(spoiler edited for those anal about spoilerz. OMGz)

Top Bottom