• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Salmonax

kylej said:
I honestly think it would be impossible to find all 200 pigeons without a guide.
No question, which is exactly why the whole task is ridiculous. It's like the blue coins in Mario Sunshine - just a joyless grind with a guide in hand.

Here's a question:

Is it possible to totally screw up a relationship? The first couple times Kate called me, I was busy doing other shit, so I cancelled once, and then just didn't pick up a couple others. Now I call her when I have nothing else to do, and she won't pick up her phone. It rings, and I get the "doot doot doot." I'm calling her when she's supposed to be awake too. D:

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I finished up before the time limit. Now I just have to hope that they count that and not when the site updates in a week.

raYne

Truelize said:
I finished up before the time limit. Now I just have to hope that they count that and not when the site updates in a week.
Oh, so that's what you were doing the whole time? Pfft.

raYne

VindicatorZ said:
wow man that is SUCH bullshit, you would think that place would be totaly playable with games in it. WOW.
You'd think the same of a lot of places. The entire Coney Island and it's rides and games, the driving range, skate park, baseball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, the arcade (as stated) etc.

As with everything else, it's just there to look pretty.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Here's a question:

Is it possible to totally screw up a relationship? The first couple times Kate called me, I was busy doing other shit, so I cancelled once, and then just didn't pick up a couple others. Now I call her when I have nothing else to do, and she won't pick up her phone. It rings, and I get the "doot doot doot." I'm calling her when she's supposed to be awake too. D:

Kiki stopped answering shortly before she dumped me. This made the hospital mission an unexpected pain in the ass.

I'd also like to warn people that girlfriends aren't like regular friends. Kiki was at 98% when she dumped me, which means you have to take them out on a consistent basis. Either that or she somehow figured out I had seen a hooker.

raYne

SolidSquirrel said:
Kiki stopped answering shortly before she dumped me. This made the hospital mission an unexpected pain in the ass.

I'd also like to warn people that girlfriends aren't like regular friends. Kiki was at 98% when she dumped me, which means you have to take them out on a consistent basis. Either that or she somehow figured out I had seen a hooker.
:lol!

Hey Rayne an even better question, is there even a single enterable building in Star Junction (Times Square) aside from the Cluckin Bell , Burger Shot, etc. Not even the Bean Machine (Starbucks!) is enterable. There's a severe lack of interior areas in this game, even tho the game is massive, it's so dissapointing that I haven't been able to go inside not even one place in Times Square.

raYne

Not that I'm aware of.

Other than the Cluckin Bells, Burger Shots etc, the only interiors they actually modeled are those that you need for a mission at some point. Nothing else is accessible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dear god, I finally got "Fly the Co-op" today.
Good luck finding someone who knows what they're doing when even attempting this achievement.

boco77

Banned
what the easiest way to get the flip car 5 times in the air achivement? I tried the runway with its ramps but its a bit crap here as i always get 4 stars whenever i try it there. Can I do it someplace highup and get like 10 flips? :p

chedabob

boco77 said:
what the easiest way to get the flip car 5 times in the air achivement? I tried the runway with its ramps but its a bit crap here as i always get 4 stars whenever i try it there. Can I do it someplace highup and get like 10 flips? :p

On the freeway that connects to Algonquin bridge, just before the bridge starts, there's a small "ramp". If you come flying down the freeway, and clip it with just one wheel, you should be able to do it.

Somehow, I did 4 flips on that, and as I was driving back to have another go, I clipped a street light, did 1 flip and got the achievement :S

EDIT: There's also another ramp near the southwest corner of middle park that you can get a decent run-up on.

FightyF

Banned
raYne said:
You'd think the same of a lot of places. The entire Coney Island and it's rides and games, the driving range, skate park, baseball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, the arcade (as stated) etc.

As with everything else, it's just there to look pretty.

Especially the Go Kart track, since all it required was a go kart vehicle and the same checkpoints the Race mode uses.

Which makes it ideal DLC fodder.

Truelize said:

I don't think that contest is open to Canadians, is it?

kylej said:
I honestly think it would be impossible to find all 200 pigeons without a guide.

Yeah...I'll give it a shot anyways. See how many I can get, and if I'm spending too much time, I'll use a guide.

BeeDog

Gah, Dwayne still hasn't contacted me regarding "befriending", didn't get any call from him (I do remember one "was it you who called?" call) and he hasn't sent any e-mail. I'm around the 80% mark (finished all the Bell missions). What to do?

Goldrusher

Salmonax said:
No question, which is exactly why the whole task is ridiculous. It's like the blue coins in Mario Sunshine - just a joyless grind with a guide in hand.

The point of the pigeons (hidden packages) is to take you on a journey to all kinds of places you wouldn't normally visit while playing the storyline or simply messing around.

Twig

Banned
Goldrusher said:
The point of the pigeons (hidden packages) is to take you on a journey to all kinds of places you wouldn't normally visit while playing the storyline or simply messing around.
That doesn't make them fun!

Or rewarding! I mean, come on. I have to find all 200 before I get anything tangible?

I explore all on my own. I don't need bad game design to make me do it!

They were done well in Crackdown, because you could see them (orbs) from so far away. And you can hear them pretty well. And you immediately got a reward for every orb! Experience! In GTA... not so much!

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
TheOneGuy said:

Or rewarding! I mean, come on. I have to find all 200 before I get anything tangible?

I explore all on my own. I don't need bad game design to make me do it!

They were done well in Crackdown, because you could see them (orbs) from so far away. And you can hear them pretty well. And you immediately got a reward for every orb! Experience! In GTA... not so much!

This.

The environment in GTA IV is so under used. There is 100 cool locations and in the story you will see 10.

Gathering for gathering's sake sucks. Crackdown FTW.

ascully

Kobold said:
This.

The environment in GTA IV is so under used. There is 100 cool locations and in the story you will see 10.

Gathering for gathering's sake sucks. Crackdown FTW.

DLC will probably explore those other locations in the new missions wouldnt you think?

ascully

The melee 10 in 4 minutes is actually easy go to the helicopter tours area in the second city stand next to the helicopters and beat up the tourists, the police never bother with you and you can get the achievement easy that way.

The wheelie one is also easy I did it on a Faggio on the main bridge, just get some speed up pull back on the stick and feather the throttle trigger until it pops

Goldrusher

TheOneGuy said:

To me, it's fun.

But I agree there should've been more rewards. New garage boxes across the city, new vehicles, new weapons, weapons or ammo at your save houses, more health (less damage), new outfits / clothing, etc.

voltron

ascully said:
The melee 10 in 4 minutes is actually easy go to the helicopter tours area in the second city stand next to the helicopters and beat up the tourists, the police never bother with you and you can get the achievement easy that way.

The wheelie one is also easy I did it on a Faggio on the main bridge, just get some speed up pull back on the stick and feather the throttle trigger until it pops

aaahh nice one. Thanks.

Whenever I started the beat em up achievement Id maybe get a couple done then either a cop would come or none of the peds wanted to fight or a combination of the two.

ShinAmano

voltron said:
Anyone got any tips for getting the melee 10 in 4 minutes and the wheelie achievements?

Thanks.
Don't know about the melee one, but for the wheelie...just pick up a scooter...you can't go too far back :)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I think people wanting San Andreas in the DLC are going to be bitterly disappointed. You can't just bring over the geometry and textures from a PS2 game and stick them on your 360/PS3. Even the PC version of SA; it would have to be completely redone.

And then you can't populate it with the New Yoikers from LC; you need the Red Necks, the Grove Street gang members, the Hispanic gangs. Plus, you'd need to have more air vehicles than just choppers to jump between SA's three air fields.

Plus, you'd need to give the player something to do in that world. Unique jumps, missions, hidden packages...

It's way too much work for DLC.

voltron

McBacon said:
I think people wanting San Andreas in the DLC are going to be bitterly disappointed. You can't just bring over the geometry and textures from a PS2 game and stick them on your 360/PS3. Even the PC version of SA; it would have to be completely redone.

And then you can't populate it with the New Yoikers from LC; you need the Red Necks, the Grove Street gang members, the Hispanic gangs. Plus, you'd need to have more air vehicles than just choppers to jump between SA's three air fields.

Plus, you'd need to give the player something to do in that world. Unique jumps, missions, hidden packages...

The people who think that are fucking deluding themselves. Basically I want whatever theyre on.

McBacon said:

I also think San Andreas as DLC is completely unrealistic. Even if they started a while back(which is more likely) they aren't going to be able to create that in this timeframe. It is far more likely to use the existing geometry and work within that context.

I'm very close to the end now and I'm getting really annoyed. I mean I love the game and I will not stop until I've finished it, but god DAMMIT its annoying having to restart these later missions.

First you go from where ever you are to point A. Then at Point A, you get a car. Take that car to point B which is across the island. Get out at point B and take the truck there to Point C which is on another island. Have a shootout at Point C for five minutes and then chase/escape/lose wanted level. Its just so goddamn frustrating when you almost get through Point C and then have to start all over again. And probably get some more armor and guns before restarting, which delays you even longer.

Ugh.

I've let out more than a few "dammit slams" this morning alone.

Uno Ill Nino said:
I'm very close to the end now and I'm getting really annoyed. I mean I love the game and I will not stop until I've finished it, but god DAMMIT its annoying having to restart these later missions.

First you go from where ever you are to point A. Then at Point A, you get a car. Take that car to point B which is across the island. Get out at point B and take the truck there to Point C which is on another island. Have a shootout at Point C for five minutes and then chase/escape/lose wanted level. Its just so goddamn frustrating when you almost get through Point C and then have to start all over again. And probably get some more armor and guns before restarting, which delays you even longer.

Ugh.

I've let out more than a few "dammit slams" this morning alone.
The last mission summed up so many of my criticisms of the game, gameplay wise. Can someone please explain to me the fucking point of allowing instant retries [via the phone message] if they don't restore your body armor? WHAT THE FUCK, YOU DUMBASSES?

pr0cs

Captain Glanton said:
Same thing.
To put it in context then, most game budgets aren't $50 million for a standalone game let alone that much for DLC. It seems disingenuous to discount the DLC as "not worth it" when that amount of money is being fronted. GTA:SA replication is probably not likely due to time contraints and bandwidth required but assuming "a few new weapons and a couple of missions" seems unlikely as well.

pr0cs said:
To put it in context then, most game budgets aren't $50 million for a standalone game let alone that much for DLC. It seems disingenuous to discount the DLC as "not worth it" when that amount of money is being fronted. GTA:SA replication is probably not likely due to time contraints and bandwidth required but assuming "a few new weapons and a couple of missions" seems unlikely as well.

I don't think anybody is saying it will just be a couple of things. I think the argument is just being realistic on how much will it be with size constraints, time constraints, and expectation constraints. On a console there really isn't much of a precedent for this so I think everybody is kind of guessing in a sense although I think there are certain things that are probably more realistic to rule out or doubt.

Captain Glanton said:
The last mission summed up so many of my criticisms of the game, gameplay wise. Can someone please explain to me the fucking point of allowing instant retries [via the phone message] if they don't restore your body armor? WHAT THE FUCK, YOU DUMBASSES?

I haven't been to the last mission yet, but I hear you about the body armor. You pretty much HAVE to have it for most missions near the end. Especially if you have dumbshit AI teammates that you have to keep alive. They loooooove to just run into a packed warehouse guns-a-blazin, so its like you have to get in there and take a bunch of shots yourself while you race to kill everyone before they kill your idiot friend.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Uno Ill Nino said:
I haven't been to the last mission yet, but I hear you about the body armor. You pretty much HAVE to have it for most missions near the end. Especially if you have dumbshit AI teammates that you have to keep alive. They loooooove to just run into a packed warehouse guns-a-blazin, so its like you have to get in there and take a bunch of shots yourself while you race to kill everyone before they kill your idiot friend.

They also really like to run in front of your line of fire, that annoyed me more than anything. There were times where I had this good cover spot and had a lock on a guy, then suddenly Phil Bell popped up in front of me and he got a back full of bullets, annoying as fuck

Vaxadrin

Banned
We played some epic deathmatch games last night. Our preferred setup is:

Algonquin or Broker
Far Blips
Powerful Weapons
$1000 Limit
No Time Limit

It becomes an epic cat & mouse game, especially in 1v1. Basically, you can see where someone is if they're more than 2 blocks away from you by checking your large map, or just driving towards their dot. Usually the first kill or two are vehicle shootouts with MP5's, but once some gets a lead they go hide & set up an ambush. Since there's no time limit, somone HAS to track someone down, so it becomes a game of virtual chicken, so to speak.

We had epic shootouts in art museums, coffee shops, and docks. The places that are best for this game mode aren't the typical deathmatch places, given the way the rules are. Also, you have to keep moving, because if you sit still for too long, someone can place a waypoint on you when they see your dot on the map, and have a good marker when they get closer.

Beaulieu

Vaxadrin said:
We played some epic deathmatch games last night. Our preferred setup is:

Algonquin or Broker
Far Blips
Powerful Weapons
$1000 Limit
No Time Limit

Ill try that tanks !

we are about 10 people always playing in MP and we are looking for new cool settings, so if anyone wants to share any more cool settings, that would be more than welcome !

firehawk12

Subete no aware
chedabob said:
On the freeway that connects to Algonquin bridge, just before the bridge starts, there's a small "ramp". If you come flying down the freeway, and clip it with just one wheel, you should be able to do it.

Somehow, I did 4 flips on that, and as I was driving back to have another go, I clipped a street light, did 1 flip and got the achievement :S

EDIT: There's also another ramp near the southwest corner of middle park that you can get a decent run-up on.

The airport has lots of mini ramps too. It seems that you don't have to do the 5 flips at the same time... as long as they're off the same ramp. At least, that's how I got the achievement. It's weird.

Dr Zhivago said:
Bulgarin question:
I've finished the story mode, and Bulgarin shows up as 'deceased' on the police computer. When did that happen?

You know, I'd like to know this as well. I just figured they forgot and didn't bother explaining it.

Top Bottom