• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

boco77

Banned
ok after watching a youtube video of this achvement i understand it tells you how many bridges you have left to fly under whenever you fly under bridges that youre supposed to. And also having them show on the radar too?

Well guess what? I just beat the game today and have flown under said bridges many times with a chopper during the course of the 40 hours I have played it and NOT ONCE did it have a popup message appear telling me i need x amount to get achievement. It also didnt show them on the radar either. I have tried this many times in different ways (brucie's chopper, helitour chopper) and nothing. It just isnt registering that i am flying under the correct bridges. For some reason the trigger point for this achivement just wont start. I have flown under all 14 bridges anyway but i didn get the achivement as theres no messages ever telling me about it. What a bug ridden game.

angelfly

Costanza said:
QUICK

That Special Someone spoiler:

Do I kill Brevic or let him live?

You get a nice execution scene if you do, but other than that I don't think it really makes a difference

voltron

Ok Im about to play through the entire alternate ending now(
Roman death
) - see you in a few hours:lol

It takes so long to get through the end sequence of missions, beginning with Niko's first major decision
at the airport

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Costanza said:
Okay, I'm trying to be really careful here cause I want the good ending...

Deal or Revenge?

there is no good or bad ending, although they are different. listen to your heart. I chose
Revenge

I've been trying to get 100% before the thing ends tomorrow night. I've been pigeon hunting and just finished going through a guide and somehow I'm 3 pigeons short. I am just screwed here or is there any way to figure out what you're missing?

Costanza

Banned
Exarchos said:
I thought it was the other way around.
Yeah I've been asking people and getting different answers. I ended up just going with
Deal
and it got me the Half Million achievement, so I'm happy I guess. I have a save so I can always go back and do the other one.

How long should I expect the rest of the missions to take?

voltron

Costanza said:
Yeah I've been asking people and getting different answers. I ended up just going with
Deal
and it got me the Half Million achievement, so I'm happy I guess. I have a save so I can always go back and do the other one.

How long should I expect the rest of the missions to take?

you get money choosing revenge too - and Im telling you for reals..... the route you chose is the bad ending....

AkuMifune

Banned
So I've been dating Alex, and...

Checking her blog after the dates is great! I just scored and her blog post was awesome. How many times can I do this? Will she always update with stuff about Niko from now on?

I beat the game more than a week ago, still playing for 100% and still addicted 100%.

The writing in this game is awesome. I was laughing out loud at the mock IKEA website (KRAPEA). And the spam that I get on the internet is a crack up. And Lazlow craps me up again.

The game is not perfect, but it definitely deserves the 10/10 scores it gets when compared to the other games out there.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
speculawyer said:
The game is not perfect, but it definitely deserves the 10/10 scores it gets when compared to the other games out there.

No. No it doesn't.

To be clear, these reviewers could not possibly play through the whole game 100%. I sympathize with the editors of major game sites who didn't have the time to play through on their own leisure, who had major pressure on delivering the kind of grand score that RS has clearly tried to get (not to mention dealing with RS in the past on that kind of thing), and if I was in their shoes, I don't see how I wouldn't give it a ten. And I'd stick by it.

But after many many hours, I think there are major steps forward and backwards. The lack of unlockables is absolutely horrible. The non-checkpoint mission system is a bit archaic in this next-gen game. And the removal of some of the more fun side missions (taxi services and such) is just baffling.

Definitely a contender for GOTY, but I hope that this is a stepping stone towards something even greater (GTA 5?), instead of the foundation that the next games will just be content with (I swear if Rockstar goes with Vice City for a sequel, I'll lose it.)

G-Bus

Banned
Since there are multiple endings, and I would like to view both of said endings. Is there a pretty clear point in the game where I should make multiple saves so I can go back and check out the other ending?

Currently on "diamonds are a girls best friend"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
chubigans said:
No. No it doesn't.

To be clear, these reviewers could not possibly play through the whole game 100%. I sympathize with the editors of major game sites who didn't have the time to play through on their own leisure, who had major pressure on delivering the kind of grand score that RS has clearly tried to get (not to mention dealing with RS in the past on that kind of thing), and if I was in their shoes, I don't see how I wouldn't give it a ten. And I'd stick by it.

But after many many hours, I think there are major steps forward and backwards. The lack of unlockables is absolutely horrible. The non-checkpoint mission system is a bit archaic in this next-gen game. And the removal of some of the more fun side missions (taxi services and such) is just baffling.

Definitely a contender for GOTY, but I hope that this is a stepping stone towards something even greater (GTA 5?), instead of the foundation that the next games will just be content with (I swear if Rockstar goes with Vice City for a sequel, I'll lose it.)

Yeah, I absolutely loved it at first, but the more I play the less I appreciate it and the flaws are starting to overshadow everything else.

angelfly

G-Bus said:
Since there are multiple endings, and I would like to view both of said endings. Is there a pretty clear point in the game where I should make multiple saves so I can go back and check out the other ending?

Currently on "diamonds are a girls best friend"

It's very clear when.

Loudninja

chubigans said:
No. No it doesn't.

Please dont start this, if he think it deserve a 10, so what? its his opinion.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys how do I activate Stevie? I already beat the game and am currently at 77%. But I have yet to unlock the Stevie missions. What do I need to do?

kbear

Too afraid to read this thread as I'm only 10 hours in but I just wanted to comment on how amazing the game is. It absolutely deserved all the 10s. It's the total package. Yes, there's flaws but 10 isn't perfect and all the great aspects of the game totally overshadow the flaws. GTA4 is the penultimate next-gen experience. I'm just blown away by the game. Visuals, animation, sound, music, story, narrative, voice acting, gun play, driving, missions, characters, detail, humor, writing, everything is just so polished and great.

Anyway, my last Team Deatchmatch had like 4 or 5 laugh out loud moments in the 15 minutes:

- jumped out of my car which was on fire and it rolled near an enemy and blew his ass up

- was in a 1vs1 pistol stalemate with another guy and all of a sudden a car comes flying by at 100 mph and runs his ass over...i was in tears, for real. it was like out of a comedy sketch...like that conan o brien skit

jakncoke

Banned
who else agrees they over did it with the pigeons? seriously 200...fucking insane...I really hope the next GTA has like 10 different things to collect but only needing to find very little of each...like 20 or 30...I know my example would = or surpass the pigeon #...but I just don't want to be collecting the same thing for so long.

Xenon

Random thoughts...

I have to say, taking cabs has made this game so much more enjoyable to me. If I had to drive back and forth myself I think I would have given up already.

Funny thing Im about 20 hours in and all the graphic annoyances have melted away. I dont even notice them. I can see why reviewers didn't penalize the game for it. The game world is fucking amazing.

I like that the game does not have checkpoints mid missions. Ok its more of a love hate thing. But, I think that a game like this where the character never dies you need some kind of punishment for failure. It has really forced me to plan ahead in my missions. Also, that fear of redoing missions has made me do anything any everything to try and survive which has lead to some of the best moments in the game for me.

kbear

Xenon said:
I like that the game does not have checkpoints mid missions. Ok its more of a love hate thing. But, I think that a game like this where the character never dies you need some kind of punishment for failure. It has really forced me to plan ahead in my missions. Also, that fear of redoing missions has made me do anything any everything to try and survive which has lead to some of the best moments in the game for me.
Totally agree about this. At first I didn't like it but then came to love it. Here's a description of one mission I just finished tonight... it's an early mission, 8 or 9 hours in so most of you probably did it already but I'll spoiler tag it anyway:

It was Manny's first job for Niko... I had to take out the drug dealers in this warehouse. I failed a couple of times and got really frustrated because I had to tailgate this car and it took like 5 minutes each time. So the third try I really took my time and tried to scope the area out... I found a way up onto the roof and the roof has windows and one of the windows was open and I picked off a couple of the guys from the roof... then jumped into the building and slowly picked off the other guys, and there was a soda machine right behind me so I bought sodas for health. If not for the fact that you get punished by dying and have to start from the beginning, I would've just kept trying to mindlessly rush in through the front door until I eventually killed them.

voltron

Im really starting to get concerned about my 360... compared to when I originally started GTA the streaming and fade-in of geometry and textures is waaay worse.

Hope it doesnt mean RRoD on the way.

cluto

voltron said:
major spoilaaars:

well choosing deal gets Roman killed, while revenge gets Kate killed
From the posts I've read here, most people don't care when Kate dies because she was a lame character, and Pegorino becoming the final boss what kind of random. When Roman dies it actually means something, and Dimitri as the final boss actually makes sense.

Vaxadrin

Banned
voltron said:
Im really starting to get concerned about my 360... compared to when I originally started GTA the streaming and fade-in of geometry and textures is waaay worse.

For me it just started freezing around 1 minute after booting up the console. I would run out of my safehouse into the street and it would freeze. Then I would swear at the screen and punch things. Happened in Halo 3 as well.

I think this game is extra taxing on the hardware, especially considering the dvd drive seems to be about 10x louder than any other game I've played in the 360.

voltron said:

It's the same thing with me on the PS3. Noticing a lot more pop-in than when I first started the game. Now pedestrians pop-in all the time when I'm going fast. I don't know, though. I thought it was just my imagination as now that I'm done with the game, I'm spending a lot less time staring at the GPS.

voltron

Another thing Ive noticed is that the old GTA thing where you see heaps of duplicates of the car youre driving on the streets.... seems to be way more prevalent than when I started the game.

I managed to get Comet when
Stevie sent his last text msg
by swiping a dupe.... then after saving and loading and driving around for a bit in the Comet, there was about 6 all parked up and around the corner from the Bohan safe house:lol This was after seeing maybe 3 max for the entire game.

Top Bottom