• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

kylej

Banned
Revengeance said:
So today is the 100% due date for the Key to the City.

Who has beat it, and what is your percentage according to the Social Club.

100%ed last Thursday - 71% at Social Club

100%ed it last Monday. 93% at Social Club.

vilmer_

VanMardigan said:
I miss Michelle. She's cuter and much much nicer than Kate. :(

I want to get back with Michelle. Is it in ANY way possible?

Spoilers aside, I agree with you. I want Michelle back in my life!

rhino4evr

chapel said:
Now I agree with you on the last part about the time spent in the main story, but I find it funny that people can complain about the length of games so much. They are either too short, or too long, well what is the right length? No one knows, it depends on the person, the game, the console, and so on.

I personally have enjoyed the game immensely, but there have been a few quirky moments that make me just turn my 360 off. Playing the second to last mission, about to finish it by killing a guy and decide a grenade would do well. Unfortunately the damn thing bounced off of the ceiling and since I was in 'cover' I couldn't just run away from the grenade at my feet. I haven't touched the game for a few days since then.

One thing I wondered, did previous GTA's autosave after missions were completed? I remember having to always save at a safehouse, but I rarely if ever have to save at a safehouse in 4. I also have used taxi's the majority of the game, I love driving in the game, but when you have to go across the islands all the time, getting in a taxi is just faster. It also makes saving cars in your safehouse not really needed, I saved a few cars, mostly just a cop car for easy access but unless a mission needed you to bring a car I would usually just do the taxi thing.

Personally, I think the ideal time to spend on a game is no more then 20-30 hours. Of course, GTA has a lot of distractions, so I'm sure I've spent a lot of time doing side quests and other stuff. The length wouldn't be a problem if the missions were a little more interesting, or the story progessed further. The story moves rather quickly and then kind of flatlines for a while. The characters actually become less interesting as the game moves forward. The first 10 hours of the game is nothing more then tutuorials. There are probably 20-30 missions that could have been removed from the game, and would not have been missed.

I still think it's great though. I just think that a lot of folks outside the NeoGaf forums will give up on this one after their 20th "chase the guy, kill the guy, loose your wanted level" mission. Those 3 Star escapes can be a real bitch too. Looking forward to finishing and taking a much needed vacation from Liberty City.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The Michelle thing made me laugh
Nico was all pissed off that she lied to him while every time they went on a date he was lying his ass off

Vaxadrin

Banned
About the endings:
I really like the ending where Roman dies. I really grew attached to his character, and when it happened, I was infuriated, and wanted to really punish Dimitri as a result. The ending battle with him was epic, climatic, and very satisfying. The whole thing was tragic, given how much Roman did for Niko, and how Niko's presence and mission to find Darko did nothing but give Roman trouble. It felt like if the game was a movie, this would have been how it ended.

However, in my extended post-story playing, I always use the save where Kate dies. This is because in my random sandbox ramblings I want to play around in a city where Roman is still alive and calls me up to play darts. I didn't much care for Kate as a character, and found dating her kind of annoying considering she doesn't "put out". When she died, I didn't feel a raging urge to kill Pegorino like I did with Dimitri. I don't know if that makes me a virtual pervet or what, but I cared more about Carmen or Kiki not liking me than I did with Kate.

I think it speaks to how well-written of a character Roman is.

Ghost said:
The Michelle thing made me laugh
Nico was all pissed off that she lied to him while every time they went on a date he was lying his ass off

It's funny if you play the game again, because everything she says is along the lines of "So...do you work for any criminals?" and Niko says "No, not at all. I uh...sell hot dogs."

Struct09

Vaxadrin said:
About the endings:
I really like the ending where Roman dies. I really grew attached to his character, and when it happened, I was infuriated, and wanted to really punish Dimitri as a result. The ending battle with him was epic, climatic, and very satisfying. The whole thing was tragic, given how much Roman did for Niko, and how Niko's presence and mission to find Darko did nothing but give Roman trouble. It felt like if the game was a movie, this would have been how it ended.

However, in my extended post-story playing, I always use the save where Kate dies. This is because in my random sandbox ramblings I want to play around in a city where Roman is still alive and calls me up to play darts. I didn't much care for Kate as a character, and found dating her kind of annoying considering she doesn't "put out". When she died, I didn't feel a raging urge to kill Pegorino like I did with Dimitri. I don't know if that makes me a virtual pervet or what, but I cared more about Carmen or Kiki not liking me than I did with Kate.

Agreed on all accounts

voltron

Vaxadrin said:
About the endings:

It's funny if you play the game again, because everything she says is along the lines of "So...do you work for any criminals?" and Niko says "No, not at all. I uh...sell hot dogs."

Yeah thats why I refer to that as the good ending (
Kate death
). Because its far less meaningful and a preferable scenario to live with when continuing to play the game.

I can see why people call the other ending the good ending though. Its all about context.

BLU-82

Revengeance said:

Got 100% on Friday, updated today to 71% =/

Struct09

Worst case I can point Rockstar towards my gamertag and say, "See, my 100% achievement was unlocked on Saturday night!"

...right? :(

Struct09 said:
Worst case I can point Rockstar towards my gamertag and say, "See, my 100% achievement was unlocked on Saturday night!"

...right? :(
They probably have just a long queue of stat updates (I assume the game sends one every time you save) dated when they were sent to the server. That way they'll be able to cut off all the people who didn't have 100% by tonight, even if it takes more than a week to get the server to reach those updates

Struct09

Finncognito said:
They probably have just a long queue of stat updates (I assume the game sends one every time you save) dated when they were sent to the server. That way they'll be able to cut off all the people who didn't have 100% by tonight, even if it takes more than a week to get the server to reach those updates

Yeah, I can only imagine the angry backlash if they enforce the rule that your Social Club stats have to be updated by tonight.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Anybody want to get a 360 game going in an hour? I want to try some new stuff, see if we can open up a free roam without having a bunch of lagging assholes invading it.

raYne

Iamthegamer said:
Anybody want to get a 360 game going in an hour? I want to try some new stuff, see if we can open up a free roam without having a bunch of lagging assholes invading it.
:lol

LAMBO

Is there a GTAIV multiplayer thread? I don't want to read this whole spoiler-ridden thread just to find the rare post about multiplayer.

Struct09 said:
Yeah, I can only imagine the angry backlash if they enforce the rule that your Social Club stats have to be updated by tonight.
Indeed, my social club is at 84%, its finally realised I've finished the story.

Today I had an inspiration for a Free Mode game, where one player is confined to Star Junction, while the other 15 jump out of helicopters at max altitude and try to hit him with their falling bodies.

raYne

LAMBO said:
Is there a GTAIV multiplayer thread? I don't want to read this whole spoiler-ridden thread just to find the rare post about multiplayer.
Not in Gaming Giscussion, but perhaps the Online forum? Never been in them, but they could possibly be just a gamertag/psn ID roundups.

Oozer3993

Revengeance said:

100% on Saturday - 0% at Social Club

But I can enter the Story Gang and it has my completion time and date. My Social Club experience be buggin.

I hope they don't enforce that "entering the 100% Club" part because that would leave just about everyone out in the cold.

SpeedingUptoStop

raYne said:
That was the most fucked thing i've ever seen online, easily. When Ryu told me I wasn't moving, that I was still standing in mid air on the invisible car that only I could see, I was like WHAAAAAAAT.:lol

Fer real tho, we oughta get a game together. I like this star junction idea, but except hitting them with bodies, we try to hit them with falling helicopters.

I've always wanted to do something like, when flying over another helicopter, jump out and have the helicopter I was in crash into the one below and totally own the shit out of it. A cooler thing would be jumping out and shooting the other helicopter with a rocket, in mid air, but you can't fire in mid air :-/.

jakncoke

Banned
VanMardigan said:
I miss Michelle. She's cuter and much much nicer than Kate. :(

I want to get back with Michelle. Is it in ANY way possible?

I hate that bitch and how the story played out with her..doesn't matter though I thrashed that bitch like 20 times, so it's all good.

vilmer_

Just beat the ending after
Kate gets lit up in front of the church
. I'm kinda disappointed in the "small scope" of it though :(

raYne

Iamthegamer said:
That was the most fucked thing i've ever seen online, easily. When Ryu told me I wasn't moving, that I was still standing in mid air on the invisible car that only I could see, I was like WHAAAAAAAT.:lol
From my point of view I had:

-Some guy stuck in a car after ramming it into a tree. Just gunning the engine and smiling like it was the best thing ever. Wish I knew we were in alternate dimensions before wasting 4 shotgun shells shooting him in the face.
-Another guy repeatedly throwing no one out of a vehicle and sitting in it over and over.
-Another guy taking 4 steps disappearing, then reappearing and taking the same 4 steps over and over.
-Like 4 cars that I couldn't touch and 1 that I could clip through.
-Everyone else just standing around in various poses on top of cars or leaning on corners or whatever.
-Cops shooting at nothing. Just like at random places in the environment.

Then in that Cops N Crooks match, we came in late and I got hung up on the victory screen of the previous round. Then I hear the next round start and people are playing, but I'm still looking at the same screen like WTF? Then that round ends and I get booted to a room with Lonestar and a few other people and that room crashes after 20 seconds or so.

Decided to call it a night after that. Oh yes, good times.

Fer real tho, we oughta get a game together. I like this star junction idea, but except hitting them with bodies, we try to hit them with falling helicopters.
You and your helicopters. :lol

I should be able to get on soon, so we'll see.

What I think they missed the boat on undercover cops. Being in the Bronx, DT's like to be in unmarked Fords. I think that would have been cool to see in the game.

Street clothes and a vest. I woulda marked out for that!

Vaxadrin

Banned
Iamthegamer said:

I've always wanted to do something like, when flying over another helicopter, jump out and have the helicopter I was in crash into the one below and totally own the shit out of it. A cooler thing would be jumping out and shooting the other helicopter with a rocket, in mid air, but you can't fire in mid air :-/.

Try turning friendly fire off, getting a helicopter full of people, then dropping them all off on top of the flat building next to the helitours pad. Fly your copter next to the building and have them all jump into the propellers. Since friendly fire is off, the propeller impact will send them flying to the other end of Algonquin.

Also, with these settings, I tried flying the copter low to the ground, angled forward, and plowing through players on the helipad. Since the blades didn't kill them, it launched them out into the ocean.

Fucking hilarious.

raYne

Vaxadrin said:
Try turning friendly fire off, getting a helicopter full of people, then dropping them all off on top of the flat building next to the helitours pad. Fly your copter next to the building and have them all jump into the propellers. Since friendly fire is off, the propeller impact will send them flying to the other end of Algonquin.

Also, with these settings, I tried flying the copter low to the ground, angled forward, and plowing through players on the helipad. Since the blades didn't kill them, it launched them out into the ocean.

Fucking hilarious.
:O

Hootie

Vaxadrin said:

Fucking hilarious.

WHY HAVEN'T WE TRIED THIS YET

raYne

Doc Evils said:
how many people are they going to reward for their 100% thing?
Doesn't say. So it might be everyone considering it's for those who've completed it 100% and not a, "who did it first", kind of thing.

I was just skimming through the rules and it says that they won't even start making the "keys" until all the winners are announced. Then after that, it may take 120 days just to make them... and then there's shipping. :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

Vaxadrin said:

Fucking hilarious.
we're doing this. right now.

360 GAF, ASSEMBLE!

TTG

Is it safe to talk about DLC yet?

I'm thinking "Michelle" and Mr. Bolgarin are the two obvious characters. Maybe Gerry gets out of prison or you have to bust him out. I wonder how the game will handle the ending sequence as well. Or maybe it will be something completely unrelated?

MMaRsu

TTG said:

I'm thinking "Michelle" and Mr. Bolgarin are the two obvious characters. Maybe Gerry gets out of prison or you have to bust him out. I wonder how the game will handle the ending sequence as well. Or maybe it will be something completely unrelated?

gtaivsanandreasticket.jpg

Costanza

Banned
...and I finished it. Finally. That last mission was pretty fucking sweet.
Ending up going back to my save and picking Revenge instead of Deal

womfalcs3

Banned
There should've been snow in this game.

How many missions does Stevie have? He pays well, but it seems I'm just doing it over and over again with no end in sight.

I was going to go for 100% but I stopped a few days ago because I( was getting pretty burned-out on GTA and I guessed that even if I got the slow-ass social club wouldn't upate it in tie and that would really piss me off.

voltron said:
Yeah thats why I refer to that as the good ending (
Kate death
). Because its far less meaningful and a preferable scenario to live with when continuing to play the game.

I can see why people call the other ending the good ending though. Its all about context.
SPOILERS!

I just finished it. I chose revenge on Dmitri and to let Darko live, and Kate died. To me this felt very natural, and it actually [kinda] resolved my biggest criticism of the game. I let Darko live because I wanted him to suffer, and I killed Dmitri and it got Kate, an innocent, killed. All we had around us was pointless death, and Roman was still talking about making money. Roman just doesn't get it, just as he hasn't the whole game. Niko didn't get it before the end, either--this was my biggest fault with the game, that Niko talked so much about the horrors of murder and he still wiped out half of LC working for the mob without batting an eye. But at the end, he seemed to finally understand that it was his quest for revenge that was rotten, not just Darko.

If any of you 360 guys need to fill another spot for multiplayer, I'd be interested (GT: rohlfinator). I'm still finishing up the story, but I'd be up for multiplayer anytime I'm online.

Vaxadrin said:
About the endings:

I had the Kate being killed ending and while I still loved it, I thought the major problem with it was that Kate was a weak voice actor (I thought both Carmen and Kiki were much better voice actors) and they hadn't really established her character enough with you even though they tried. I know it sounds crass but not being able to get her into bed also made it a more weak relationship. I know they were going for a whole chaste sweet love concept but let's face it, guys are guys. We would have had more of a connection with her if we could have banged her, even if it was extremely difficult to accomplish ;)

TTG said:

It's weird. Michelle was sort of a weak-ish voice actor but when she turned on me, that made me want her all the more. :D If Niko is still the lead of the DLC they should bring her back so Niko can either kill her or get with her.

jakncoke

Banned
Anyone else have a hard time completing the 8th stunt jump on the middle island? I swear that took like a total of 20 attempts...sucks looking for a bike after you failed

Top Bottom