• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Cedeo said:
I completed this two weeks ago and haven't been back since - even for multiplayer - has anyone else had this sort of drop-off?

I was doing stunt jumps a few days ago but then just dropped the game. That can happen after playing something for 50+ hours. I'll go back someday to get 100% and play some more mp probably

Cedeo said:
I completed this two weeks ago and haven't been back since - even for multiplayer - has anyone else had this sort of drop-off?

Basically the same here. Thinking of trading it in while the getting is good. Just not drawn to play through again. It's tempting to keep it to see what the DLC Episodes turn out like, but really what can they offer outside of more of the same of what I already have on the disc? Idk, just not really feeling GTA anymore.

womfalcs3

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Does anybody know where I can get all the logo's from the radio stations? I want to have album images on my ipod :)

The guidebook has them, and they're in color. Obviously you'd have to scan them, and the downside is they're pretty small in size. I don't think the iPod needs large pictures though.

Hootie

MMaRsu said:
Does anybody know where I can get all the logo's from the radio stations? I want to have album images on my ipod :)

I don't know if I can say this or not (won't post a link), but over at demonoid if you look up the GTA IV soundtrack 2 of the torrent pages have all the logos.

Please don't ban me!:lol

MMaRsu

womfalcs3 said:
The guidebook has them, and they're in color. Obviously you'd have to scan them, and the downside is they're pretty small in size. I don't think the iPod needs large pictures though.

Yeah too bad I don't have the guidebook nor a scanner :lol .

Thanks though :).

neoism

Do you get Romain mission percentage for the last mission, I have 93%
Does anyone know how much percent the last mission gives you I have it left and all of the pigeons left I don't want to go through all of them and beat the game and only have 99.90%, and not knowing where or how to get the remaining % thanks

raYne

neoism said:
Does anyone know how much percent the last mission gives you I have it left and all of the pigeons left I don't want to go through all of them and beat the game and only have 99.90%, and not knowing where or how to get the remaining % thanks
Not sure if there's a full mission breakdown, but according to http://www.achieve360points.com's guide.

PERCENTAGE BREAKDOWN
(originally posted by Wyld24)
Main Story Missions - 90
(60 total%)

Procedural Mission - 4
(2% per mission = 8%)

20 Current Crimes (Vigilante) -
(2.5%)

30 Most Wanted Criminals -
(2.5%)

Find 200 Flying Rats -
(2.5%)

30 Unique Stunt Jumps
(2.5%)

30 Text Message Car Thefts
(2%)

Complete All Activities (Win Full Game of Bowling, Win Darts, Win Pool, High Score in QUB3D)
(1.25% per Activity = 5%)

Meet All Random Characters and Complete Their Missions - 10 required characters with 16 missions total
(.5% each character completed = 5%)

Friends - One of the Trickier Ones, So I'll Break it Down
Unlock Brucie's Ability - 1.67%
Unlock Jacob's Ability - 1.67%
Unlock Packie's Ability - 1.67%
Complete Every Activity with Brucie once - 1.67%
Complete Every Activity with Jacob once - 1.67%
Complete Every Activity with Packie once - 1.67%
(10% total, I know the above total would be 10.02, but it's 1.2/3%)

MMaRsu

neoism said:

Just save and try it.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I finished the game with only 63% or something like that. I had a bit of an "that's it?" feeling with the ending. Wasn't interested at all in doing those cop car things or killing birds or whatever shit they want you to do to increase the percentage. Don't think I'll play it again any time soon. I'll rather play River City Ransom or something.

By the way, what the fuck happened to
Bulgarin or whatever his face was? I think I saw him twice in the game. Thought he'd die or something, or did I kill him and just forget?

Also, I decided to check Gamefaqs to see what happens if
You choose differently at the end (deal or revenge). Sounds damn cheap if you ask me. Same last mission? Fuck that. Well, maybe later, I got a save pretty late in the game before the choice, so I might try it if I'm bored enough.

Overall definitely a good game, and probably deserves the 10s since 10 apparently just means "pretty good game" these days, but it left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. I can't think of a single thing I want to do in the game after the story ends.

raYne

John Dunbar said:
By the way, what the fuck happened to
Bulgarin or whatever his face was? I think I saw him twice in the game. Thought he'd die or something, or did I kill him and just forget?
Nah, he just leaves and you never see him again.

I just finished the game and it's definitely a superb game, but I have to say I am a little disappointed. In my opinion it's not a 10/10. There are too many annoyances for me.

I lost the sandbox feel from previous GTA's because everything resets in the world before the start of each mission. When I'm in a car / motorbike chase and I shoot down the guy he never dies. You can only kill the person your chasing when the game tells you to, which isn't shown clearly.

I'm surprised there are still no checkpoints. The last mission is a bitch and it would have been much easier if I could have had at least one checkpoint. It's not fun doing the same part of a mission over and over again. I realize it has to be challenging but come on.

I don't think the story is "oscar worthy", sure it's great but I think the previous GTA's were so wacky and weird with the story which suited the world better. It's a refreshing change and I think the main characters and the ones you meet at the beginning are funny. However after about 5-10 hours into the game I couldn't give a shit about the characters that were introduced.

I think having a really realistic story and the world around you being pretty crazy don't gel too well together. There are some moments that take you completely out of the game which were touched on the 1UP show but this doesn't really bother me as much as the other points.

I thought the missions were too repetitive and building relationships with characters was boring and pointless.

Like I said, I still think the game is a massive achievement and it's really great. It's actually a very fun shooter which adds a great amount to the gameplay, the different feel of the cars are great, the city is beautiful to look at, the amount of depth in the game is outstanding and it's the best sandbox game of this generation.

I still can't help but feel a little underwhelmed but I can't wait to see what they improve in the next iteration. I hope they don't do Vice City. Tokyo is still my first choice for the next one but who knows. Overall I think it's a great game, but I don't think it will be game of the year as I predict MGS4 or LBP will be.

neoism

MMaRsu said:
Just save and try it.
Guys thanks for the replies, I'm just (once hes seen the credits hes DONE guy) I never beat a game before doing everything if I choose to do so. I'm currently at 96.80% with the last mission and the pigeons left and I just wanted to find out if its worth .7 at least since the pigeons are with 2.5%. but I'll just beat it to find out thanks!

voltron

Man, listen to some of you guys turning on the game.... youre just burnt out!!! Play a game for 40+ hrs straight and that can happen.... but dont you think by proclaiming how over the game and everything else you are now just detracts from your experience.

Heres my biggest thing with the game.... I wish they could have sorted out some of the 'simulation' issues that have plagued the series forever. Like when you see a car you want so you drive just a bit round the corner to park in your safehouse then walk up the street to find the car has disappeared.

All the instances of the world not being consistent enough. Its like the best way to find a cba if you cant see one is to run up the street a couple steps then simply turn around, and usually there will be some at the lights.

Stuff like that is what gets to me after a while... hopefully they can really fix them for the next game.

MoogPaul

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Assassin's Creed + GTAIV would be a great game. On their own, they are both very mediocre games.

raYne

MoogPaul said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Assassin's Creed + GTAIV would be a great game. On their own, they are both very mediocre games.
It'd certainly improve the fighting and climbing/platforming, but that wouldn't solve the issue of having nothing to do in the city.

;)

Ninty

Ok so I'm in the mission where I have to go to an interview, but right before I enter the building it says that I have to wear a suit and a tie and some smart shoes or something. But I tried every suits and every shoes from Perseus and I still can't begin the mission/interview. What's the deal?

raYne

Ninty said:
Ok so I'm in the mission where I have to go to an interview, but right before I enter the building it says that I have to wear a suit and a tie and some smart shoes or something. But I tried every suits and every shoes from Perseus and I still can't begin the mission/interview. What's the deal?
Did you try the regular dark suit w/red tie and a pair of black shoes? That's what I used and never had an issue. Been through it on two different save files as a matter a fact. Worked both times.

If so, sounds like you have a glitch on your hands.

raYne

DeceitDecide said:
Sorry if this is a stale question, but after you beat the game can you still go out on dates with people?
Yeah, you can do everything you could've done before (or haven't done). It's only the story missions that're finished.

You can't replay those without starting a new game.

raYne said:
Yeah, you can do everything you could've done before (or haven't done). It's only the story missions that're finished.

You can't replay those without starting a new game.

Thank you, kindly! I'm about to beat the game, and I just wanted to make sure I could still get some of those relationship perks I may have missed along the way.

Wiggum2007

Completed the game today. Most of my complaints have already been covered. For me, the main problem was that there were these cool mission ideas involving using the internet, searching the police database, calling your target's number to pick them out of a crowd, etc., but all these concepts ended up just being kind of one-off things that you only did once or twice, and the rest of the missions in the game were generic chasing/shoot-out stuff.

Really enjoyed it for the most part, though.

Hey guys, I posted this in the Sticky thread, but it doesn't look like that thread gets the attention this one does, and I thought this was pretty important and could help a lot of people.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Hey guys,

A mate of mine just rang me about GTAIV crashing on his 360 10 minutes into the game, so I informed him about the situation. I also told him it's 'killing' some 360s, but mostly PS3s so he shouldn't have to worry. I said, maybe try getting anew copy, but it probably wouldn't do anything.

10 minutes later (about now) he rang me again..."Shit, my 360 RRODed". Now, as far as I was aware there was no patch up for the 360 yet.

So I thought of something...When the AV cables are unplugged, the 360 automatically RRODs, because 3 Red Lights denotes hardware failure, so if the AV Cables are unplugges, a piece of 'hardware' is missing, hence the red lights.

So I figure, since the GTAIV issue is killing machines without there really being anything wrong with the console physically, I thought "Maybe you can fool the 360 into thinking it's only problem, is that the AV cables are missing. Take out the AVs and turn on your console, it should still RROD. Turn it off, then re-plug in the AVs and turn it on, might just work".

I hang on the line, and presto, his 360 is back on and operational. I told him not to play GTA, but his 360 is working.

Now as far as I'm aware, he didn't follow my method exactly. I think he re-plugged the AVs while the console was still on. Both methods may work.

It might not be a 100% fix for those guys whose 360s are dead, but if it worked for one, it should work for others.

Let me know how you guys go, and I hope it helps you.

I'd be interested to know if it works for anyone else whose 360 has dies from GTAIVitis.

Ninty said:
Do you have glasses/a hat on? If you do, remove them and try again.

FightyF

Banned
Struct09 said:
There should be nothing that prevents you from getting 100% after completing the story mission, no matter what decisions you make throughout the game.

Oh ok...thanks for the answer (and thanks to Beaulieu for asking, I never considered that).

I've been holding off on passing the game...I'm at 80% right now, and I don't know how much more is story. I've been itching to get back into the story...

pop-in is starting to get really bad on my end(PS3 Version). I'm actually running around near happiness island and janitors are popping in right in front of me. That has never happened before. I'm starting to fear my PS3's life, so I think I'm gonna be playing GTA IV a lot less until I get my hands on MGS4.

73% done now, but I'm starting to get a little burned out after almost 70 hours. I've already started taking longer breaks between playing it, going back to Oblivion and giving LOST: Via Domus a quick spin. I fear that if I keep plowing through everything so fast I'm going to wind up getting really sick of Liberty City, which is something I don't want to happen.

I've only just started GTAIV but I'd just like to say that I would like a GTA where you have the choice to play as a good guy. For example at the start of the game you are getting out of jail for grand theft auto. You're a petty theif and part of a crime family. The police approach you to work for them and then the choice is yours as to what your character becomes. Crazy want to be crime lord or the guy that brought the family down.

a real life Brucie ?

Seller's Description and Comments

2002 BMW M3 Coupe, 6-speed manual, Rare Laguna Seca blue, Gruppe M intake, Remus exhaust, Fully adjustable coilover suspension, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, AC Schnitzer roof spoiler, AC Schnitzer clear corners, LED tail lights with smoke colored lenses, 50k service (big one including valve adjustment) done at 65k miles, New brakes, Maintenance records available, New 18" wheels and tires, Harman Kardon premium sound system, Ice cold A/C, Looks & runs great, Non-smoker, Power everything, Very clean interior, Well maintained, 100k BMW engine warranty. Private Seller (no sales tax). This car has gotten me laid so much it is ridiculous. I would like pull up to a pimp club in Scottsdale and the valet would crap his pants, but I wouldn't let him park it. I just leave it up front and make sure all the ladies saw me get out. I'm also totally ripped so that helps too. I inject myself with pure bull shark testosterone and lift 4 hours a day. My diet also consists of 24 egg whites a day. I've got a killer 6 pack and some delts that you would not believe. I only hook up with 9s and 10s. Never less because I'm a winner! I'm not saying this car will do the same for you but it's a start. If you're interested in taking the first step to becoming a true Jedi Pimp email me at conner.john2@gmail.com. I'll probably be working out so I'll get back to you as soon as I finish my protein shake (and probably hooking up with a hot chick).

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...rtified=&fuel=&body_code=0&search_type=both&d

sorry if old

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I've been playing the game without auto-aim. Its not too difficult, but some missions become so frustrating. I'm doing that mission in the museum and its fucking hard.

So I beat this game yesterday, and, as someone who came into the game very excited about the story and the new, more cinematic approach that Rockstar was taking to it, I'm left feeling sort of unfulfilled. Generally I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to plot, be it in a game, or film, or whatever, so I guess I don't know what I was expecting, but I was running around today just getting in standoffs with the cops, and every time I started over I thought, "Is this it, really? No more missions? No more story?"

The story was okay, I guess. In my opinion (of course), it just lost focus. The beginning with Niko and Roman struggling with small-time gangsters like Vlad and Faustin was great, but after that it just became too muddled. A lot of characters and subplots felt wholly unnecessary, and a good majority of the missions felt soulless, due largely to the fact that about 85% were either chase or shootout missions with some random target and weak prop-up justification. Did every character have to have exactly four or five missions? There were a few characters, like Derrick and Dwayne, that could have either been one-off missions or just completely eliminated, and a few, like maybe Vlad or ULP, that could have been more prominent. When the game stopped being about Niko and Roman trying to survive in America and Niko finding the man he's looking for, and just became Niko doing killer-for-hire jobs for five different guys at once until plot development fell out of the sky, the story went south. The whole second act was pretty weak (Roman and Dmitri both disappeared), and when your second act is weak, your third act is going to suffer. Like Niko, when I finally killed
Darko
, it was a total anticlimax.

I also didn't appreciate how
Pegorino
ends up being the final villain if you make the choice everyone damn well should have. He's another of those characters that just felt stuck in to lengthen the game. The whole ending sequence probably wasn't helped by
me never going on a single date with Kate either
. It might as well have been
Faustin's wife
or some other random character. I think a shorter, more focused, maybe 10-hour singleplayer game would have been fine considering the new multiplayer, and probably would have allowed more time for the devs to work on more open-world hijinks or maybe some better cutscene animation.

That's number one on my laundry list of complaints about this game, which also includes the absurd lack of mission checkpoints (which I'm sure has already been covered) and the lack of forced exploration of the city (which I saw talked about a few pages back; I would have been fine with the first couple missions on each island being essentially sightseeing -- like flying a helicopter through Star Junction, or a shootout on the bizarro Brooklyn Bridge). Overall, I had a lot of fun, and it's a very good game, it just failed to live up to even my fairly temperate hype, and easily could have and should have been so much more.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If you're enjoying the San Juan Sounds station, the Xbox Live Marketplace has the FULL videos for two of the songs on that station, FREE.

-Sexy Movimiento by Wisin & Yandel
-Ponmela by Julio Voltio

Monocle

Sometimes I think I might be getting bored with GTA4, but then I drive around and start hitting random peds with my car, or go to a subway station and push people down stairs. Those things never get old. Thanks, Euphoria.

VanMardigan said:
If you're enjoying the San Juan Sounds station, the Xbox Live Marketplace has the FULL videos for two of the songs on that station, FREE.

-Sexy Movimiento by Wisin & Yandel
-Ponmela by Julio Voltio
They should have had merengue and salsa on San Juan Sounds, not just reggaeton. I wish they would add more songs to the stations for DLC.

Vaxadrin

Banned
I wish I could buy a CD of the entire Electrochoc mix, minus the DJ. I could go download all the songs, but the way they're mixed together on the station is just ridiculously awesome. It's one of the best mixes I've heard.

MrTroubleMaker said:
a real life Brucie ?

Having played the game, that almost seems fake. If it's real, then that's fucking awesome.

Oni Jazar

Anyone else on the 360 (or PS3) having a really hard time with the DVD access? This is the 5th time I'm in the middle of a hard mission, all of a sudden the disc stop spinning, the high-rez textures don't load and I get the disc cannot be read error.

Damnit is my 360's DVD dying?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Oni Jazar said:
Anyone else on the 360 (or PS3) having a really hard time with the DVD access? This is the 5th time I'm in the middle of a hard mission, all of a sudden the disc stop spinning, the high-rez textures don't load and I get the disc cannot be read error.

I've never had that issue. Sounds like your optical drive may be having a problem. I'd try a long session with another game to see if it's the drive or the game.

Wiggum2007

Oni Jazar said:

I've been having this exact same problem, only been noticing it with this game so far too.

Oni Jazar

I think the fact that this game uses very heavy streaming it's putting a tax on the DVD drive.

Van said:
I've never had that issue. Sounds like your optical drive may be having a problem. I'd try a long session with another game to see if it's the drive or the game.

I don't have that much time to put into another game. It'll have to wait until NG2. Not much I can do about it anyways it seems.

chase

Is anyone doing the marathon? What a pain in the ass.

I've got 20 miles left to swim, 240 to walk/run, 2800 to drive, and 5400 stunts to do.

I can put a rubber band on to do the walking, but I don't know if I'll ever do the driving. For reference, I think the roads going north-south in Algonquin are straight for about a mile. I can't imagine driving up and down that nearly 3000 times.

Top Bottom