• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
BenjaminBirdie said:
Now that I've got the time to just tool around I just noticed, did the club not make it into the final game or can I only take a date there?

Are you talking about the 2 level club/restaurant? I found it by doing a side mission from a random dude on the street that wanted me to take pics of his wife and the guy she was cheating with.

dskillzhtown said:
Are you talking about the 2 level club/restaurant? I found it by doing a side mission from a random dude on the street that wanted me to take pics of his wife and the guy she was cheating with.

No, that's that shitty theme restaurant.

Also, I remember Rayne saying something about
getting a map of everything in the city
after you beat the game.

Is that for reals?

raYne

BenjaminBirdie said:
No, that's that shitty theme restaurant.

Also, I remember Rayne saying something about
getting a map of everything in the city
after you beat the game.

Is that for reals?
Check your in-game email.

Also, I don't know what club you're talking about...

raYne said:
Check your in-game email.

Also, I don't know what club you're talking about...

I had a feeling it was there.

But yeah, if you check the map that came in the box there's a "Record" Icon for a club in the way North of Algonk. It's right there too. You can walk up to it.

raYne

BenjaminBirdie said:
But yeah, if you check the map that came in the box there's a "Record" Icon for a club in the way North of Algonk. It's right there too. You can walk up to it.
Oh, I see what you're talking about. No clue..

DLC perhaps?

MMaRsu

Nah there's a club but you can't do shit there.

You know what I really dislike about GTA, as a matter of fact all GTA's?
You're supposed to be this bad ass mofo but you NEVER see a main character drink or smoke ANYTHING????

There is one scene between playboy and Niko where he gives him a drink, yet Niko never takes a sip. Why is this? You can obviously get drunk why can't we see him drinking something? I take it that is also why you can't get drunk at a stripclub or random bar when you walk into it. Fucking retarded.

I'm pretty much done with GTAIV, it's been quite a letdown. I figured I'd be playing this for months, yet there is so little to do in the game after you've finished it. I never thought I'd say this but I think I'll be playing SR2 more than this game even though this game's world is wonderfull, it's just empty of things to do. Which is a total shame. I'd rather they have delayed the game 5 more months to add more shit and add more features and polish the multiplayer.

In hindsight it's still a good game, I'd probably give it a 8.7 to be honest..

raYne

MMaRsu said:

You're supposed to be this bad ass mofo but you NEVER see a main character drink or smoke ANYTHING????

There is one scene between playboy and Niko where he gives him a drink, yet Niko never takes a sip. Why is this? You can obviously get drunk why can't we see him drinking something? I take it that is also why you can't get drunk at a stripclub or random bar when you walk into it. Fucking retarded.

I'm pretty much done with GTAIV, it's been quite a letdown. I figured I'd be playing this for months, yet there is so little to do in the game after you've finished it. I never thought I'd say this but I think I'll be playing SR2 more than this game even though this game's world is wonderfull, it's just empty of things to do. Which is a total shame. I'd rather they have delayed the game 5 more months to add more shit and add more features and polish the multiplayer.

*remembers day 1 conversation*
*smiles*

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
MMaRsu said:
I never thought I'd say this but I think I'll be playing SR2 more than this game even though this game's world is wonderfull

I'm pretty sure you're the only one shocked at that ;)

MMaRsu said:

Wait a second, why would Niko drink on business? He can do whatever the fuck he wants when he's just chilling but every scene when he's offered alcohol or drugs, he's working, on a mission.

Why on Earth would Niko compromise himself in such an overtly senseless fashion?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait a second, why would Niko drink on business? He can do whatever the fuck he wants when he's just chilling but every scene when he's offered alcohol or drugs, he's working, on a mission.

Why on Earth would Niko compromise himself in such an overtly senseless fashion?

I'm sure Niko can handle a small glass of whiskey just fine.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Walk/Run- 13%
Drive- 9%
Swim- 2%
Activities- 5%
Fire(aka bullets fired)- 8%
Jack- 9%
Stunts- 13%
Public Transport- 44%
Arrested- 0%
Wasted- 4%

Man...not alot. And I've played more than 50 hours I know...

Guess I've only been riding in taxi's and subways.

Struct09

Lonestar said:
Walk/Run- 13%
Drive- 9%
Swim- 2%
Activities- 5%
Fire(aka bullets fired)- 8%
Jack- 9%
Stunts- 13%
Public Transport- 44%
Arrested- 0%
Wasted- 4%

Man...not alot. And I've played more than 50 hours I know...

Guess I've only been riding in taxi's and subways.

It would be great if Niko got chubby from taking taxis and eating at Burger Shot. Super Size Me the video game!

Key to the City Contest News:

I finally received a response from the Social Club support:

We will determine what users are eligible at the end of the contest period and will take into account our server problems. We can see a users stats even if they are not visible on the Social Club. We make no guarantees that a user will or will not be eligible until we have reviewed all entries. Please see our contest rules if you have any specific questions.

Cheers,

The Rockstar Games Social Club

So this seems a little better than a strict reading of the rules. Good luck to everyone who 100%ed.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
shut up you :p. I knew you were going to respond :p
Nah man, I just think it's hilarious after the, "omg 10/10", messages you were sending me back then.

You should know by now that I'm always right. :p

Revengeance said:
I finally received a response from the Social Club support:

So this seems a little better than a strict reading of the rules. Good luck to everyone who 100%ed.
Why didn't they tell the general public this before? It would've stopped (or at least lessened) all the bitching people have been doing for all this time.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
BenjaminBirdie said:
More credits awesomeness:

Wil Wheaton: Republican Space Ranger Alien!
Radio Players: Jason Sudeikis (I FUCKING KNEW IT!!!), Bill Hader and Fred Armisen
Random Dude On Street Somewhere: MC PAUL FUCKING BARMAN!!

Bill Hader and Wil Wheaton do voices? Thats awesome! The credits for this game were insane.

Oozer3993

Anasui Kishibe said:
FUCKING SHIT, Snow Storm mission is FUCKING HARD

how the hell am I supposed to survive? FUCK THIS, I'm leaving this shit behind

Pro-Tip:
speedboat in the water

We will determine what users are eligible at the end of the contest period and will take into account our server problems.

I got the same email. Yay! Now I have a chance!

For the guy looking for icons of the radio station logos, Rockstar has updated their website with profiles of the stations, including the logos. Here's the link:

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=music&content=stations

Click on a station for more info and a bigger picture.

kylej

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:

Take your time. Once you've cleared everyone out grab the health in one of the back rooms. When NOOSE comes in run to the pickup truck parked 2 feet outside the building. Get rid of a 2 star wanted level.

Struct09

neoism said:
what do you even get for 100% on the social club???

There was a contest for those who could get 100% before May 19th. Rockstar will send out a key to the city to all who qualified. The problem was that Social Club wasn't updating in time, so those of us who got 100% in time were a bit worried about what that meant for our entry into the contest.

Ledsen

Anasui Kishibe said:

Make sure you have full body armor, and park your car right outside the exit. When the cops get there, RUN LIKE HELL. Don't fight the cops. You should be able to make it to your car before they kill you.

voltron

So I have a bit of a problem... I killed the 200th pigeon using a guide.... and I still have 3 left!

I mean obviously as I went through the guide there was a few pigeons that I couldnt find so I figured I had found them already..,. and then were a few that I couldnt find and a I didnt think I had found on my own either - and I wrote those down.

But still, this sux.

About the No More Strangers: Meet all random characters achivement. Isnt a human like icon supposed to appear on the map? it never has for me and I beat the game.

zam

Gizmo_Monkey said:
About the No More Strangers: Meet all random characters achivement. Isnt a human like icon supposed to appear on the map? it never has for me and I beat the game.
You need to be in the vicinity of the person (like one or two blocks away) and at the right time. Most of the random characters will be at their spot between a certain time (e.g 10am-4pm).

Struct09

My Social Club finally updated to 100% this morning (got 100% last Saturday). I'm ranked #130 in terms of time, but that rank probably won't last long :p

How the hell do people get 100% in ~15 hours?! It took me nearly that long just to get all the pigeons!

Ledsen said:
Make sure you have full body armor, and park your car right outside the exit. When the cops get there, RUN LIKE HELL. Don't fight the cops. You should be able to make it to your car before they kill you.

kylej said:
Take your time. Once you've cleared everyone out grab the health in one of the back rooms. When NOOSE comes in run to the pickup truck parked 2 feet outside the building. Get rid of a 2 star wanted level.

I have no problem dispatching the dealers inside the building, it's a breeze and I can make it to the health with not even a bruise. I actually did run like hell going out, but that pickup is DAMN AWFUL to drive, really, steering like shit and slow and heavy as fuck. That's what I learned yesterday

so I tried it again, parked my car right where the pickup was, enter, kill, going out..and the police trashed my car. OMG, WHY?

so, replayed it again, grabbed a PD car and actually made it to the bridge...but goddamn bastars cornred me with something like five cars...and I died

*needs a valium*

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anasui Kishibe said:
I have no problem dispatching the dealers inside the building, it's a breeze and I can make it to the health with not even a bruise. I actually did run like hell going out, but that pickup is DAMN AWFUL to drive, really, steering like shit and slow and heavy as fuck. That's what I learned yesterday

so I tried it again, parked my car right where the pickup was, enter, kill, going out..and the police trashed my car. OMG, WHY?

so, replayed it again, grabbed a PD car and actually made it to the bridge...but goddamn bastars cornred me with something like five cars...and I died

*needs a valium*

Why use a car when you can use a boat? There's a speedboat at the waterside. Just rush out of the building, sprint to it and get the hell out of there. Losing your wanted level in the boat is easy. Seems like your only problem is outrunning the cops, should be easy that way.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
You don't really have to drive that hard to get out of 2 stars, I think that's the mistake most people make, if your vehicle cant corner for shit, slow down. If you cant get anywhere near the edge of the wanted zone, just make a run for a pay & spray and take a few turns just before you get there to make sure there's no cops that are directly on your ass.

ravien56

so, whats the most times you guys have had to retry for a mission? mine was the mission where you gotta kill fat charlie, took like 5 retrys, gotta put way more stealth than usual to beat it, but i just beat that special someone, and havent tried the finale yet...

Twig

Banned
Ghost said:
You don't really have to drive that hard to get out of 2 stars, I think that's the mistake most people make, if your vehicle cant corner for shit, slow down. If you cant get anywhere near the edge of the wanted zone, just make a run for a pay & spray and take a few turns just before you get there to make sure there's no cops that are directly on your ass.
Heh, I had a cop on my ass once and when I pulled into the garage, the star went gray because he couldn't "see" me anymore. O:

It worked!

Pigeon-hunting in this game is fucktarded. I'd rather have hidden packages. At least then I don't have to deal with the cops EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

Also while hunting for pigeons, I found an Annihilator! It was on top of a cop building I think on the second island. Is that always there? If so, what's the fucking point of killing pigeons! ):

ravien56

yea I killed only 2 pigeons so far, but every time I kill 1, cops go ape shit over it...I was playing some gta3 yesterday and i must of beat up and killed like 10 people before cops gave me 1 star...in gta4, its 1 star after 1 punch>_<

BenjaminBirdie said:

Indeed, Niko even implied that those were the reasons. Repeatedly.

In short: MMaRsu needs to pay more attention.

One thing I'm realizing in the Post/Endgame scenario, I'm glad I left all the side missions and stuff for after the story. I feel like Niko's in the perfect mood to just live an aimless life. I might even have the drive to rampage.

Won

TheOneGuy said:
Heh, I had a cop on my ass once and when I pulled into the garage, the star went gray because he couldn't "see" me anymore. O:

It worked!

Pigeon-hunting in this game is fucktarded. I'd rather have hidden packages. At least then I don't have to deal with the cops EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

Also while hunting for pigeons, I found an Annihilator! It was on top of a cop building I think on the second island. Is that always there? If so, what's the fucking point of killing pigeons! ):

There is at least always an Anni on the Airport, so yeah killing pigeons for the Anni is pointless. Even better, today I wanted to waste a bit time while installing Age of Conan so I decided to take the Annihilator from the MeTv building and screw around a bit. Landed close to the building to look for an entrance. Didn't find one, so I started up the heli again and.....the Annihilator wasn't there! Gone! Disappeared! I mean wtf?
Decided to play around with the rocket launcher a bit instead (didn't know you can blind fire that thing out of cover D:). Fired a rocket at a Taxi and....it bounced off! Ok can happen. So I fire again....and it bounced off! It was like the game said "Fuck off, if you want fun, play something else!" to me. First the Anni, then this.......weird.

Twig

Banned
Won said:
There is at least always an Anni on the Airport, so yeah killing pigeons for the Anni is pointless.
Well, the airport at least is risky since you automatically get four stars for running around the back. (Not that I know WHERE the copter is, I assume it's back in that area.)

Speaking of cops/copters. I hate that you can't get away from cops in a chopper if you're at three or more stars. |: I mean, I flew all the way out over the ocean, there were no cops anywhere near me.

Although it is fun to fly really fast and then jump out and land in the water outside the circle of aggro. Haha.

Undeux

Question about the last couple of missions:
is it worth it to try both choices? I went with the revenge route, but I have a save prior to the choice. I haven't done the following (I'm assuming the last) mission yet. Is it worth it to go back after I'm done and try the other one, or are they basically the same no matter what your choice?

Coverly

BenjaminBirdie said:
One thing I'm realizing in the Post/Endgame scenario, I'm glad I left all the side missions and stuff for after the story. I feel like Niko's in the perfect mood to just live an aimless life. I might even have the drive to rampage.

Same here. Best part I've found to rack up the body count is the northern park on the third island. Just go along the railing of the lake in that park and you'll take out so many bystanders in a couple laps that your car will actually stop working. Cop cars don't really chase you inside so you can take your time to aim for pedestrians better.

I got the gta4 guide the other day and it didn't have the stevie car pickup missions that you get from text messages. Does anyone have a link that shows you the locations of these cars or just a walkthrough of the stevie missions?

Also on Kate,
You wouldn't believe how happy I was when Kate died. As they were shooting her I was shouting "use the grenades, make sure she's dead!!". Best convenient death ever.

Struct09

Coverly said:
I got the gta4 guide the other day and it didn't have the stevie car pickup missions that you get from text messages. Does anyone have a link that shows you the locations of these cars or just a walkthrough of the stevie missions?

I used this: http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k194/juggalo509/Car-Map.png

Paired with this: http://gamewiki.net/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV/Stevie_Vehicle_Thefts

It looks like the wiki page was updated with a map as well, it wasn't there when I was using it

Top Bottom