• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

raYne

chase said:
Is anyone doing the marathon?
No. Well, other than you and I guess a few other people. :lol

Jesus Christ @ the "rubber band" trick. Do you actually get anything from doing this marathon stuff. Whether or not, that seems pretty sad either way.

raYne said:
No. Well, other than you and I guess a few other people. :lol

Jesus Christ @ the "rubber band" trick. Do you actually get anything from doing this marathon stuff. Whether or not, that seems pretty sad either way.
you get to print out a bronze, silver or gold certificate for each event.

raYne

MrTroubleMaker said:
you get to print out a bronze, silver or gold certificate for each event.
That's it!? :lol!

Dr_Cogent said:
What is the marathon? Is this an event you can participate in in the game?
You'd think so, wouldn't you? It's just more Social Club stuff where it takes your miles run/swam/driven totals from the game and matches you up versus other people.

ie This:
noa9h3.jpg

raYne

Struct09 said:
8000 stunts?! As in stunt jumps?!!
I'm pretty sure it counts stuff like normal jumps, wheelies, driving a car on two wheels etc as "stunts".

I've only done, maybe 5 stunt jumps total.

raYne said:
That's it!? :lol!
:lol yep :(

raYne said:
I'm pretty sure it counts stuff like normal jumps, wheelies, driving a car on two wheels etc as "stunts".

I've only done, maybe 5 stunt jumps total.

it does :)

Dr_Cogent said:
Coolness. I will definitely not be participating.

me either

at least now its keeping track of my PS3 and 360 stats better that it was, i can actually check between the two versions :)

raYne

You know what the next GTA needs? (other than all the stuff this one should've had lolers) The ability to slide across car hoods and trunks.

Not to the extent of something like Stranglehold where you can slide in slo-mo and shoot while sliding, but it'd be pretty great if you were on the passenger side of a vehicle and slid across the hood so you can enter from the other side. Or slide across to get into cover on the other side etc.

Shouldn't be that hard to implement with the current cover system either. Tap for cover, hold for slide.

doit.gif Rockstar.

G-Bus

Banned
I remember reading a preview for this game and they stated you could go into a slow motion type thing when driving to make it a bit easier to maneuver between cars and what not, was that taken out or is it still in there?

If so how do I trigger this? (PS3)

raYne

G-Bus said:
I remember reading a preview for this game and they stated you could go into a slow motion type thing when driving to make it a bit easier to maneuver between cars and what not, was that taken out or is it still in there?

Cinematic view and left analog click. So that'd be hold circle and press L3.

NYR

G-Bus said:

Only in cinematic view...keep changing the views until you get the one that looks like you are watching a movie. You should be able to push L3 to trigger the slow down...

raYne

NYR said:
Only in cinematic view...keep changing the views until you get the one that looks like you are watching a movie. You should be able to push L3 to trigger the slow down...
You don't have to cycle between all the views. As I said, just hold B (or circle for PS3) and left analog click.

burgerdog

Hadn't played the game in about a week and today I finished all 10 most wanted in alderney, good stuff. Really enjoyed playing the game again, the only thing that was lame is the cars all swerving while on the bridge, I know it's been brought up before, but what the fuck is that about? I hate it so much.

raYne

burgerdog said:
Hadn't played the game in about a week and today I finished all 10 most wanted in alderney, good stuff. Really enjoyed playing the game again, the only thing that was lame is the cars all swerving while on the bridge, I know it's been brought up before, but what the fuck is that about? I hate it so much.
I pretend they're swerving around NYC potholes. I'll be true enough to reality

Tr4nce

This may sound weird, but is there anyone else who feels that the occasional texture pop-in becomes worse after a certain point in the game? Or is it my imagination? Anyway, I haven't played this game for about 5 days now, so I think it's going to be exciting to go back to Liberty City again. Tomorrow I will.

The Chef

Whats the deal with the internet car place "Exotic Cars" or whatever its called. They have some bad ass cars online but when I call it doesn't connect and when i drive by it its a virtually empty lot?

raYne

The Chef said:
Whats the deal with the internet car place "Exotic Cars" or whatever its called. They have some bad ass cars online but when I call it doesn't connect and when i drive by it its a virtually empty lot?
Also just as in real life. :lol

Fifty

The plot in this game sometimes pisses me off. I'm doing a mission (turns out to be the last one of his) for Derrick, and
I'm supposed to kill this Irish cellmate of his. Now Derrick is a detestable character, and the cell mate says Derrick originally ratted him out..So now I'm supposed to shoot this unarmed man without asking any questions? I spent 5 minutes with him in the car and I like him more than Derrick already. My character doesn't need the money badly enough to continue selling his soul and I don't get why he likes Packie's family this much, to follow them blindly.
The game's dialogue is great, but I question the overall choices the writers made in telling the story.

It just feels immature, since Niko is supposed to be this tortured character and not just a mindless killing machine. The game should have given you a choice in this instance.

edit: I feel kind of silly now for complaining about this, because I'm recalling earlier in the mission when I
blew up multiple cop cars and killed a handful of cops. All of a sudden later in the mission I have trouble killing this unarmed convict..yet the cop-killings were done without blinking. I guess it just goes to show you how talking characters with personalities are harder to kill than faceless adversaries.

Ok, that's enough of my dissertation on video game violence.

Eriatarka

Banned
Fifty said:
The plot in this game sometimes pisses me off. I'm doing a mission (turns out to be the last one of his) for Derrick, and
I'm supposed to kill this Irish cellmate of his. Now Derrick is a detestable character, and the cell mate says Derrick originally ratted him out..So now I'm supposed to shoot this unarmed man without asking any questions? I spent 5 minutes with him in the car and I like him more than Derrick already. My character doesn't need the money badly enough to continue selling his soul and I don't get why he likes Packie's family this much, to follow them blindly.
The game's dialogue is great, but I question the overall choices the writers made in telling the story.

It just feels immature, since Niko is supposed to be this tortured character and not just a mindless killing machine. The game should have given you a choice in this instance.

edit: I feel kind of silly now for complaining about this, because I'm recalling earlier in the mission when I
blew up multiple cop cars and killed a handful of cops. All of a sudden later in the mission I have trouble killing this unarmed convict..yet the cop-killings were done without blinking. I guess it just goes to show you how talking characters with personalities are harder to kill than faceless adversaries.

Ok, that's enough of my dissertation on video game violence.
I felt like such an asshole after that mission.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
So nothing has updated on social club for me. No zits, no nothing since the game came out. Has Rockstar said anything about if they are working on it?

raYne

Pelydr said:
So nothing has updated on social club for me. No zits, no nothing since the game came out. Has Rockstar said anything about if they are working on it?
j8l30o.jpg

That's been on the main page of the GTA Social Club since pretty much the beginning. I don't think they've addressed it otherwise.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
smuf said:
God damnit. Tried doing all the flying rats, got 199. Missed one along the way >_<

I'm in the same situation :lol I can't be bothered checking through them all again to see which one I missed. Annoyingly. I am one agility orb and one hidden orb short in Crackdown as well.

Capoeira

Car damage can get far worse than that. If you want to see just how bad it can get, play Free Mode with a friend, get in a car and have your friend get into a Firetruck. Have the truck plow the fuck out of your car and whenever it catches on fire, have your mate put it out with the water gun. Keep at it and you'll end up with an indistinguishable hunk of metal that you can still drive around, albeit very slowly.

It's also funny getting a car on its side against a wall, and plowing the shit out of the top with a big truck. The roof crushes down, and Niko's head passes through the top while he's driving.

Capoeira said:
Car damage can get far worse than that. If you want to see just how bad it can get, play Free Mode with a friend, get in a car and have your friend get into a Firetruck. Have the truck plow the fuck out of your car and whenever it catches on fire, have your mate put it out with the water gun. Keep at it and you'll end up with an indistinguishable hunk of metal that you can still drive around, albeit very slowly.
:lol thats cool ! thanks for the tip :)

Brashnir

Capoeira said:

can do this in single player too by parking a car and ramming the shit out of it with a fire truck.

jakncoke

Banned
chase said:
Is anyone doing the marathon? What a pain in the ass.

I've got 20 miles left to swim, 240 to walk/run, 2800 to drive, and 5400 stunts to do.

I can put a rubber band on to do the walking, but I don't know if I'll ever do the driving. For reference, I think the roads going north-south in Algonquin are straight for about a mile. I can't imagine driving up and down that nearly 3000 times.

Don't feel like turning my ps3 on so I'll just give you the %'s from the site...(lol, they count how many times you've visited the social club..never noticed that before)

Walk/Run- 33%
Drive- 47%
Swim- 25%
Activities- 17%
Fire(aka bullets fired)- 27%
Jack- 57%
Stunts- 49%
Public Transport- 23%
Arrested- 13%
Wasted- 34%

Also it seems WhiteKnight23 has won ever single marathon except Wasted. Which leads me to the question of WTF...I thought marathon was only a contest between friends on your PSN list.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Been a very solid game so far, I'm up to the Pegorino missions. My only MAJOR complaint (outside of the obvious and borderline game breaking checkpoint-less system) is that
Dimitri
is such a cop-out as a villain. He will always just be that nervy partner to me, never a real threat and when I get a phone calls from him it always seems as though his dialogue is really forced and cliche.

Alderney is easily my favorite area so far. Lots of character and great contrasts between the central city, the industrial areas and the residential areas/beaches. It's something I think Algonquin was lacking in (don't get me wrong, I still enjoy travelling in Algonquin).

Radio Broker is my favorite station, it's a shame the game makes fun of you constantly for listening to it. :lol

voltron

Im really digging some of these races... the one up in North Alderney - in a Comet - is great fun. you can really open it up on one of those big turns down the bottom of the course and you have to be heaps precise to avoid spinning out.

Also some of jacobs dialogue is just fucking awesome. He was talking about smoking weed and the spirituality of it then he asked me if I take anything. Niko answered saying he only drinks.. and the conversation went on.

Pretty rad.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
:lol at the car pic.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
raYne said:
You know what the next GTA needs? (other than all the stuff this one should've had lolers) The ability to slide across car hoods and trunks.

Not to the extent of something like Stranglehold where you can slide in slo-mo and shoot while sliding, but it'd be pretty great if you were on the passenger side of a vehicle and slid across the hood so you can enter from the other side. Or slide across to get into cover on the other side etc.

Shouldn't be that hard to implement with the current cover system either. Tap for cover, hold for slide.

doit.gif Rockstar.

Also needs an MP3 player. Niko can't buy an iPod? WTF?

My own music Rockstar - my own music. I like maybe 7 tracks in total or so on the radio.

Make it happen in the next game dammit!

Flock

Dr_Cogent said:
Also needs an MP3 player. Niko can't buy an iPod? WTF?

My own music Rockstar - my own music. I like maybe 7 tracks in total or so on the radio.

Make it happen in the next game dammit!

yeah imagine how good a radio station that streamed your music from your PC/ipod/HDD would be.

Tek

Oni Jazar said:
Anyone else on the 360 (or PS3) having a really hard time with the DVD access? This is the 5th time I'm in the middle of a hard mission, all of a sudden the disc stop spinning, the high-rez textures don't load and I get the disc cannot be read error.

Damnit is my 360's DVD dying?

I'm having this same problem. I was thinking about calling MS to have it replaced. The one year warranty is up in August.

Finished the story yesterday, then went back and got the other ending today. Boy, they go from bad to worse, don't they? :lol Really kinda bummed me out for a bit.

Its going to be nice to get away from GTA for a while now. I've been playing it almost exclusively so its going to be nice to kind of "emerge from the cave" so to speak. It was a hell of a ride though.

Beat it.

First 95% > Last 5%

Still, very awesome. Now it's time to go Crackdown on it and start Achievement hunting.

Fun note in credits. Bas did Motion Capture for Niko!

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
BenjaminBirdie said:
Beat it.

First 95% > Last 5%

Still, very awesome. Now it's time to go Crackdown on it and start Achievement hunting.

Fun note in credits. Bas did Motion Capture for Niko!

Yep, you can tell from the kicks. They match perfectly with the first part of "Street Fighting" where he sings the love of the groin kick.

More credits awesomeness:

Wil Wheaton: Republican Space Ranger Alien!
Radio Players: Jason Sudeikis (I FUCKING KNEW IT!!!), Bill Hader and Fred Armisen
Random Dude On Street Somewhere: MC PAUL FUCKING BARMAN!!

Top Bottom