• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Darunia said:
Why use a car when you can use a boat? There's a speedboat at the waterside. Just rush out of the building, sprint to it and get the hell out of there. Losing your wanted level in the boat is easy. Seems like your only problem is outrunning the cops, should be easy that way.

damn, I never noticed it! thanks!

in fact I just killed the goddamn mission...supreme relief:D

ravien56

I didnt wanna skip them in case there was something at the end I might miss...turns out all i got was "this is the american dream" or something like that

raYne

jestro said:
I only do when they have extra stuff interwoven into them :p
Were they worth looking at, they'd wouldn't be in the credits. ;)

mh56 said:
I didnt wanna skip them in case there was something at the end I might miss...turns out all i got was "this is the american dream" or something like that
Yeah, and you get that anyway if you skipped them. So congrats. :p

ravien56

lol 10 minutes of my life I wont get back...I havent been reading this thread much due to spoilers, but are there any crazy theories on the ending?

raYne

Gamer @ Heart said:
Is there a guide on what missions are mandatory for the story to progress or is it easy to do all of them within 30 hours?
On my 2nd file I was done in a little over 14 hours with mostly everything done and a bunch of screwing around. A bunch of people on the Social Club have finished the game in a little over 9 hours.

If you must use a guide, they're all over the place. IGN, Gamespy, Gamefaqs etc.

Eriatarka said:
You kinda have to see them because they're so long.
'Cept for the latter part of that post where I said you could just skip them.

Struct09

Gamer @ Heart said:
Is there a guide on what missions are mandatory for the story to progress or is it easy to do all of them within 30 hours?

Take a taxi everywhere, and if you fail a mission load your previous save. You should be able to easily do it in under 30 hours.

You pretty much have to do any mission (given from a person) that you see, aside from a few.

womfalcs3

Banned
Babysitting was easy once I changed the control scheme. It's really hard to aim as you're driving with the Classic control scheme. It didn't affect me completing missions up until that one.

Evading cops in the last Derrick mission is hard. It's only 3 stars, but there are so many cops that the danger zone doesn't hold steady.

Eriatarka said:
I meant that because they're so long it's kinda cool to see them.

They're really some great fly bys of Liberty City. I liked watching them all. I could never fly a helicopter with that kind of precision, folks!

Brannon

Nice last mission. The second time I did it to see the alternate ending, I realized that
I was exiting the same way I came in, so I dropped through the roof and started kicking ass
. Saved a lot of time that way. Definitely keeping my 'proper ending' save, though. So much less annoying. Also, does
Kate ever put out
?

Holy fuck. HOLY FUCK.

I am pretty much done with this game.

I'm on the final mission and I just don't have the patience to do it. First time I try it, I climb all the way up one of those towers next to the ship. Turns out there's some guy with a shotgun that also decided to climb all the way up.

2nd attempt I am about to head indoors with 100% health and shield and stupidly run in without thinking about enemies. Thanks to the game's shitty aiming system, I'm down to a sliver of red health and get hit with a shotgun when I first poke my head above the stairs.

3rd attempt, I kill everyone inside, run out, kill everyone else, I only have 50% health so I figure I'll quickly get off the ship and get a hot dog. Of course, there's no cars so I spend 10 minutes running all the way to a hot dog stand.

I get the hot dog, suddenly there's traffic everywhere, and out of nowhere I get hit (and killed) by some random shitty driver.

Considering if it's even worth it to try again :/

ravien56

thats not even the last mission...just stay at the bottom when u first start the mission, and snipe everyone you can, then climb up the tower, snipe some more on the boats, then go back down and get on the boat, and go to back and snipe some more, then slowly make your way up

2DMention

Banned
I haven't played this since launch week. I might go back to it this weekend. I've been too busy playing Mario Kart, but that's starting to wear thin.

voltron

SolidSquirrel said:
Holy fuck. HOLY FUCK.

I'm on the final mission and I just don't have the patience to do it. First time I try it, I climb all the way up one of those towers next to the ship. Turns out there's some guy with a shotgun that also decided to climb all the way up.

2nd attempt I am about to head indoors with 100% health and shield and stupidly run in without thinking about enemies. Thanks to the game's shitty aiming system, I'm down to a sliver of red health and get hit with a shotgun when I first poke my head above the stairs.

3rd attempt, I kill everyone inside, run out, kill everyone else, I only have 50% health so I figure I'll quickly get off the ship and get a hot dog. Of course, there's no cars so I spend 10 minutes running all the way to a hot dog stand.

I get the hot dog, suddenly there's traffic everywhere, and out of nowhere I get hit (and killed) by some random shitty driver.

I dunno man... I didnt find that shit hard at all. I really didnt.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Back in my day, we didn't have none of this fancy-pants free aiming, side-stepping malarky. We had to drive our wonky Vice City car directly into the compound, and pray to God in all his glory to have the good graces to let the lockon select the person in front of us and not someone behind a wall a block away. You damn kids don't know how good you have it! Balderdash!

lionelhutz

Finally beat it. Not sure what to think. Some things are improved but at the end I just wanted to beat it for the damn achievement. I didn't care about the story, random characters, Roman, etc. The last 10-15 missions weren't really anything special. It just felt more of the same. I doubt I'll keep it for the DLC. I think I'd rather put this towards a few other games I've been putting off.

Eriatarka

Banned
SolidSquirrel said:
Holy fuck. HOLY FUCK.

If you really need health just go back to the kitchen (or whatever that is), the health respawns there.

[edit]

Right here.
http://i27.tinypic.com/28a55vm.png

dkeane

Catch a Wave is pissing me the fuck off. Either Bell dies or the truck blows up behind me. I'm so sick of driving all the way across the city in the shitty box truck. FUCK!@

stewacide

dkeane said:
Catch a Wave is pissing me the fuck off. Either Bell dies or the truck blows up behind me. I'm so sick of driving all the way across the city in the shitty box truck. FUCK!@

I beat it by backing into a tree in such a way that Bell was stuck between the truck and tree, then clearing out the boat yard alone, and then going back for Bell :D

Only level where I had to 'break' the game to get past it.

dkeane

stewacide said:
I beat it by backing into a tree in such a way that Bell was stuck between the truck and tree, then clearing out the boat yard alone, and then going back for Bell :D

Only level where I had to 'break' the game to get past it.
Wow I hadn't thought of doing that. Nice idea!

Go to the area around the red dot and find the playground.

gtaswing.jpg

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
This "5 barrel roll" achievement is pissing me off. I can't get more than 3 flips/rolls to save the life of me at the Airport, and I've been hearing things like "don't let go of RT so that you can just drive right back on a ramp at the airport and those other flips/rolls will count towards the 5 that you need". I've tried that it doesn't work. :(

voltron

Im sooo fucking angry at the moment. I still cant find the last pigeon. I figured I had missed it on the Stat of Happiness or somewhere similar as I skipped a couple going though the guide I assumed I already had.

Its got to the point now where I have no solid leads at all and that just pisses me off fucking massively. Not that I just *have* to get the achievement...but the fact that I went to the goddam effort of using a guide and meticulously working my way through the map to get them all... all FOR NOTHING. AAAAARRRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Domino Theory said:
This "5 barrel roll" achievement is pissing me off. I can't get more than 3 flips/rolls to save the life of me at the Airport, and I've been hearing things like "don't let go of RT so that you can just drive right back on a ramp at the airport and those other flips/rolls will count towards the 5 that you need". I've tried that it doesn't work. :(

It's a really weird achievement, I never did 5 in one jump, so I don't know how it works. Are you hitting the ramp dead on? Only hit the side so you do a lot of flips, I did 3 or 4 once, went back and did 1 or 2 going really fast and I ended up getting it there somehow.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
i spent ages trying to get that roll ach. at the airport too, never worked. I try to count flips and sometimes I was sure I got 5, but the game told me otherwise. really annoying to get

Doc Evils

voltron said:
Im sooo fucking angry at the moment. I still cant find the last pigeon. I figured I had missed it on the Stat of Happiness or somewhere similar as I skipped a couple going though the guide I assumed I already had.

Its got to the point now where I have no solid leads at all and that just pisses me off fucking massively. Not that I just *have* to get the achievement...but the fact that I went to the goddam effort of using a guide and meticulously working my way through the map to get them all... all FOR NOTHING. AAAAARRRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happened to me too dude. :(

need to visit all 200 places again.

dork

Banned
Ok..

So I have little jacob liking me 67% and you get his ability at 60%..and he hasn't given me his ability

Same with brucie..

i also did the most wanted missions and didnt get the achievement

what am i missing?

Struct09

dork said:
Ok..

So I have little jacob liking me 67% and you get his ability at 60%..and he hasn't given me his ability

Same with brucie..

i also did the most wanted missions and didnt get the achievement

what am i missing?

Pretty sure you need > 75% (possibly higher) for their abilities.

You did all 30 most wanted missions? There's 10 per island.

dork

Banned
Struct09 said:
Pretty sure you need > 75% (possibly higher) for their abilities.

You did all 30 most wanted missions? There's 10 per island.

oh 10 per island..ok thanks

according to the guide and like every walkthrough it says 60%...stupid nonsense.

thanks. Guess i have to keep taking them out UGH

Are the 10 drug missions, the one that gets you the achievement? Cuz i did all of those (when i look at little jacob in the phonebook there arent any jobs left) and no achievement? :( i suck

Okay, I really need some help with the final mission,
Out of Commission
. I've checked FAQs and this thread and I still can't do it. I haven't been this frustrated with a game in a long, long time. Talk about shitty design.... ARG!

So...
I'm trying to follow Jimmy Peg in the helicopter, but he either shoots me down with a 1-hit instant kill (yeah, that's fun) or if I manage to keep up with him until I get shot with a non-head on shot and slowly crash, I lose total control of the helicopter and can't do anything as it spins and eventually hits the water. When exactly does he hit you with the mandatory missile that initiates the cutscene and how the hell do you manage to control the helicopter so you don't end up in the water? And if I stay too low, he gets me with a perfect dead on hit that's an instant kill and if I go to high the game tells me he got away. This has got to be the most annoying mission design I've ever seen. You HAVE to get hit? How are people supposed to know that? Don't you usually make games where you avoid stuff like that that? ANGER!!!

Please help :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ThirstyFly said:
Okay, I really need some help with the final mission,
Out of Commission
. I've checked FAQs and this thread and I still can't do it. I haven't been this frustrated with a game in a long, long time. Talk about shitty design.... ARG!

So...
I'm trying to follow Jimmy Peg in the helicopter, but he either shoots me down with a 1-hit instant kill (yeah, that's fun) or if I manage to keep up with him until I get shot with a non-head on shot and slowly crash, I lose total control of the helicopter and can't do anything as it spins and eventually hits the water. When exactly does he hit you with the mandatory missile that initiates the cutscene and how the hell do you manage to control the helicopter so you don't end up in the water? And if I stay too low, he gets me with a perfect dead on hit that's an instant kill and if I go to high the game tells me he got away. This has got to be the most annoying mission design I've ever seen. You HAVE to get hit? How are people supposed to know that? Don't you usually make games where you avoid stuff like that that? ANGER!!!

Please help :(

While I never had trouble flying after getting hit, you need to go to the island of happiness. Just stay higher up, or just fly directly to the island and wait for the scene to activate.

Top Bottom