• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Struct09

chubigans said:
Yeah, apparently its the same on the 360 too. Worst rumble ever.

Rumble is actually pretty good in the 360 version IMO. I've only seen PS3 owners complain about it. I haven't tired the PS3 version, so I can't give a first hand comparison.

Tobor

Tobor said:
My main storyline is HOSED. I skipped the Bernie missions, thinking I would come back to them. They disappeared, but I assumed maybe they weren't important, or I could do them later somehow. Now, i've finished every mission I can do, and there's just... nothing. I'm stuck on 84 missions completed and there aren't any icons for me to do.

I am a failure.

Nobody has any ideas here? Do I have to start all over again?

chase

BenjaminBirdie said:
I absolutely love the sensation of just idly passing time in the city, doing whatever. I found this amazing fully functioning olympic sized pool in Dukes, along with an amazingly run down and intricate cemetary to the north of it.

Yes, but...what can you do in those places? Dive? Knock over the tombstones? Or just run around, same as everywhere else?

It's nice to have these places, but if they're just background noise, what's the point?

So I'm trying GTA4 online and it's been really pissing me off because I can't connect to two of my friend that I can always connect to... I've been screwing around with my NAT (with no luck, its moderate. I have a Linksys WRT54G router... I went on portforward.com and followed those steps, and enabled uPnP or whatever it is called... no luck). Any ideas?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
chase said:
Yes, but...what can you do in those places? Dive? Knock over the tombstones? Or just run around, same as everywhere else?

It's nice to have these places, but if they're just background noise, what's the point?
I do agree that I wish there was more interaction with the environment, but just to find places such as the pool and the cemetery is a joy to me. Seriously, most of the fun I get from GTA games is walking/driving around and soaking up the environment.

chase said:

So, when you walk around every day if it's not the house you live in or your office or a place to eat, it's just "background noise"? And "pointless"? "White noise"?

Even if it was all completely barren, and there wasn't a bizarre cabal of The Lost biker gang members centered around a klatch of playgrounds, even if there wasn't passed out bums you can start fights with and then watch them get arrested for throwing the first punch, even if there was no other single person in the entire city it would STILL be impressive that they put so much thought into the game's setting.

The fact that there is activity and life bustling all over these areas just highlights the fruits of that commitment to detail.

Zoso said:
I do agree that I wish there was more interaction with the environment, but just to find places such as the pool and the cemetery is a joy to me. Seriously, most of the fun I get from GTA games is walking/driving around and soaking up the environment.

THANK you. I was starting to feel like some kind of crazy Architectural Digest for Liberty City.

Twig

Banned
Man, I haven't tried online yet. But it's really disappointing to hear it kind of sucks.

Multiplayer was the reason I BOUGHT the game. Singleplayer ended up being enough fun to make up for it(which I didn't expect after getting bored with Vicy City oh-so-long ago), but still. \:

AirBrian

A few pages back some people were talking about a club in north Algonquin that's on the map but you couldn't do anything with...well, you can go to that club if you take a friend drinking.

And has anyone else noticed that there's a car wash by the airport that's not labeled on the map? It's off Saratoga Ave.

(And in both cases I'm talking about the paper map that came with the game.)

Speaking of locations, one of my complaints is that I wish I could go to the restaurants, clubs, and bars and be able to eat and drink without having to take a friend. :-(

Vaxadrin

Banned
Two awesome details I noticed today:

-The picture on the Krapea website is actually an interior shot of your middle East side apartment.

-I had Dwayne on a motorcycle and drove it off a small jump. When we landed he shouted "Ahh, my fuckin' balls!"

AirBrian said:
A few pages back some people were talking about a club in north Algonquin that's on the map but you couldn't do anything with...well, you can go to that club if you take a friend drinking.

And has anyone else noticed that there's a car wash by the airport that's not labeled on the map? It's off Saratoga Ave.

(And in both cases I'm talking about the paper map that came with the game.)

Speaking of locations, one of my complaints is that I wish I could go to the restaurants, clubs, and bars and be able to eat and drink without having to take a friend. :-(

Ah, sweet thank you! I'm going to go clubbing with Brucie RIGHT NOW!!

:D

Vaxadrin said:
Two awesome details I noticed today:

-The picture on the Krapea website is actually an interior shot of your middle East side apartment.

-I had Dwayne on a motorcycle and drove it off a small jump. When we landed he shouted "Ahh, my fuckin' balls!"

My favorite detail like that was taking Badman on a Motorcycle (probably works with Little Jacob as well) and he had a very appropriate helmet on.

Wow, yeah. I really love Stevie's Car Theft missions for a "Post-Game" environment. Very calming, you get to see a whole lot of the city and you're forced to really look around the areas instead of just jetting off to a blue dot.

Highly recommended for after you finish the game.

Also, I was checking out the Body Armor map and there's one I was looking for around Broker (I think, it's by the busted up Burger Sh t) that was highly insane and ridiculous.

It's in the giant fucking bowl of Dim Sum

I tagged it because I loled when I finally figured out where it was after getting to the roofs of the area by walking down the train tracks.

Can you not fly drunk? I went to the bar with Packie in a helicopter, and it wouldn't let me get in it after.

Oh, also, if you want to see something hilarious, drive someone home after hanging out, but stop at the arrow with their door blocked. Packie couldnt get out the passanger door, so the conversation went something like this:

Packie: "Thanks for a good time, Niko! "
*punches Niko in the face, Niko flops out of the car*
Packie: "GET OUT OF THE CAR, BITCH!"
* Packie exits through driver door*

stewacide

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Can you not fly drunk? I went to the bar with Packie in a helicopter, and it wouldn't let me get in it after...

I've done it, so it's possible.

Costanza said:
Where can I find the police choppers at? (or at least the one with the machine gun)

I think you have to steal a regular chopper, and take it to the top of the police building in Algonquin, jump out, and grab the combat chopper.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Can you not fly drunk? I went to the bar with Packie in a helicopter, and it wouldn't let me get in it after.

Oh, also, if you want to see something hilarious, drive someone home after hanging out, but stop at the arrow with their door blocked. Packie couldnt get out the passanger door, so the conversation went something like this:

That happened to me with a hooker. It was my first so I was like "Oh, fuck, she's fucking robbing me!"

But she just walked off.

Costanza

Banned
stewacide said:
I've done it, so it's possible.

I think you have to steal a regular chopper, and take it to the top of the police building in Algonquin, jump out, and grab the combat chopper.
Where in Algonquin?

dork

Banned
Another_visitor said:
One of the bridges is poorly marked up for the achievement. It has metal supports & concrete supports & if you fly under the latter, it counts that as the ramp & not the bridge.

was that the one in the middle?

or is there a picture around here

edit- ok found the picture, i know where i need to go :)

Costanza said:
Where in Algonquin?
It's one block east of the northeast corner of Middle Park.

I think you have to finish the story before you can get the Annihilators, though. I never saw one until I beat the game, and now they spawn at the airport and the police station almost every time.

M3wThr33

Banned
Took a break from the game and went back to Vice City Stories and realized I was close to the end. Finally finished it up tonight. (I stopped playing way back when after finally beating this one mission that forced 6 stars on you. Barf)

I still REALLY preferred Liberty City Stories. The city is more nostalgic and varied, plus there's less popup and less pastels.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
rohlfinator said:
It's one block east of the northeast corner of Middle Park.

I think you have to finish the story before you can get the Annihilators, though. I never saw one until I beat the game, and now they spawn at the airport and the police station almost every time.

I found this today as well. If you go to the roof of the building next door to it you can jump from the rook to the helipad with only about 20% damage. Spent ages looking for a way up there.

raYne

BenjaminBirdie said:
That happened to me with a hooker. It was my first so I was like "Oh, fuck, she's fucking robbing me!"

But she just walked off.
Speaking of which, wasn't it said in some preview that random people would try to rob/jack you?

If so, what happened to that? Did it go the way of ATM usage?

Jedeye Sniv said:
I found this today as well. If you go to the roof of the building next door to it you can jump from the rook to the helipad with only about 20% damage. Spent ages looking for a way up there.
If I'm thinking of the one you guys are talking about. I'm sure you can go to the other side of the building and climb up the wall/airconditioner unit and get there without a problem.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
Shit, I'm at the point where I don't feel like playing GTA IV anymore :( I am probably half way through the missions.

Recoil said:
This thread needs more love for Marnie.

I really liked Marnie. It's too bad she couldn't have had a bigger role besides her two missions. I actually felt good when
she emails Nico and thanks him for helping her.

disappeared said:
I really liked Marnie. It's too bad she couldn't have had a bigger role besides her two missions. I actually felt good when
she emails Nico and thanks him for helping her.

I don't even remember who Marnie is...?

disappeared said:
She's an addict Nico meets in south Algonquin. She was such a minor character but I really felt bad for her.

Man, I'm drawing a total blank on this one. Was she a random character? I haven't done all those yet. I just finished it a few minutes ago and am going to go back and do the stuff I skipped later.

voltron

Darklord said:
Sometimes you could hear it when he was talking in the game. Not much but 2 or 3 times you could clearly hear an American accent.

Yeah its funny - remember that early nextgen.biz article where Sam Houser said that when watching "Eastern Promises" he could tell that one of the characters was played by someone who was actually French. As far as I know I think he also said that GTA4 was acted by real Russians / Europeans.

raYne

ThirstyFly said:
Man, I'm drawing a total blank on this one. Was she a random character? I haven't done all those yet. I just finished it a few minutes ago and am going to go back and do the stuff I skipped later.
Yes. You first meet her in some park. If I recall...

voltron

ThirstyFly said:

Yeah she was random. Niko picks her up and takes her over to Alderney to score because he feels bad shen she offers to fuck him for 5bux.

Ive only done the first part of her interaction. Looking forward to seeing what happens with her.

voltron said:
Yeah she was random. Niko picks her up and takes her over to Alderney to score because he feels bad shen she offers to fuck him for 5bux.

Ive only done the first part of her interaction. Looking forward to seeing what happens with her.

That part was when I felt bad for her, not to mention she says she's like 19 or something.

voltron said:

Haha. Thank god she's random. I thought I was losing my memory.

Monocle

stewacide said:

If you're talking about the place I think you are, there's a staircase that leads to the roof. You can enter it from the parking lot.

MercuryLS

Banned
Finally beat the game today and saw both endings, what an amazing experience. Needless to say, I can't wait for the episodic content, i'm so glad that we'll be able to have more experiences in GTAIV.

Easily the finest game this gen so far. Only game I could see topping this is MGS4.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
BobFromPikeCreek said:

I did this with Roman, it is pretty cool.

edit: Has anyone played through San Andreas? If so, Don't you think the safe houses in IV is lacking? There is a place in northern Alderney that has a pool and helipad that would make one hell of a safe house. It reminds me of the safe house near the vinewood sign in San Andreas.

neojubei said:
Has anyone played through San Andreas? If so, Don't you think the safe houses in IV is lacking? There is a place in northern Alderney that has a pool and helipad that would make one hell of a safe house. It reminds me of the safe house near the vinewood sign in San Andreas.
They wanted to keep the level Niko reaches realistic. Just another sacrifice made for the sake of plausibility in a game where
you ramp into a helicopter from a motorcycle

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Dartastic said:
Well, fuck this. I'm not going to try and beat it anymore to get the second ending. I'm in my boat chasing a helicopter, and I just keep blowing up randomly. I'm almost 100% sure I'm not being shot by rockets or anything; I think there might be some mines in the sea or something. Regardless, I've done this four times. I'm done. DONE.

I feel your pain brother :lol :lol

I'm at 86% and just looking for pigeons. I've found 44 so far and find it to be a monotonous grind. I'm rapidly losing motivation to get to 100%. I'm starting to just not give a shit anymore. If by June I don't 100% it I'm just moving on. RR7 is calling me...

voltron

Vaxadrin said:
I have a feeling all the San Andreas stuff that's missing will become DLC.

I agree. Maybe not ALL, but heaps of stuff like safehouses / stuff to blow money one + more variety in the side missions (pizza delivery & paramedic say hi).

Finally beat the game today, chose the
revenge
ending. There are some good dramatic scenes toward the end but not the greatest thing ever. The last mission is more of a pain than anything else. Hopefully the other ending is way better. Overall I think the ending (including mission) of SA was better.

Overall game is excellent, one of the best of this gen for sure. Not a 10 game for me though, I still think SA is better. I would put this one on par with VC.

voltron

Finally got the last pigeon. The one that was eluding me was the one on the support of the bridge that joins North Algonquin and Alderney. Its just back far enough on the support girder to be out of sight with a sniper rifle - unless you get an angle that you wouldnt normally think to try.

sorry i'm lttp about this but fuck me

"out of commision" is one of the worst fucking missions I've ever encountered

....and it really saddens me that after the atrocious final mission of Liberty City Stories (which I eventually had to cheat to finish), that Rockstar would still think something like this is a good idea

...it's fucking terrible and It really makes me not even wanna bother finishing the game at this point because the story has just become another cliched mess, rather than something genuinely new.....Guess R* just decided to fill the shit up with homages rather than something actually fresh

This has seriously become one of THE MOST dissapointing games I've ever played....Dissapointing in the sense I was so unbelievably hyped and I've just been consistently let down....It really is the same shit we've play 5-6 times already

voltron

AgentOtaku said:
sorry i'm lttp about this but fuck me

"out of commision" is one of the worst fucking missions I've ever encountered

....and it really saddens me that after the atrocious final mission of Liberty City Stories (which I eventually had to cheat to finish), that Rockstar would still think something like this is a good idea

...it's fucking terrible and It really makes me not even wanna bother finishing the game at this point because the story has just become another cliched mess, rather than something genuinely new.....Guess R* just decided to fill the shit up with homages rather than something actually fresh

Didnt have a problem with it. Not one bit.

Actually I lie:
While chasing him in the chopper I didnt realise I was supposed to get hit by the missiles and twice I got hit and basically let myself crash into the water - but if Id just waited a few more secs a cut scene would have been triggered.

Not hard at all though.

voltron said:
Didnt have a problem with it. Not one bit.

Actually I lie:
While chasing him in the chopper I didnt realise I was supposed to get hit by the missiles and twice I got hit and basically let myself crash into the water - but if Id just waited a few more secs a cut scene would have been triggered.

Not hard at all though.

It's not the mission is particulary hard, it's that there are so many things wrong with the core game as a whole...that's what gets in the way

- No checkpoints
- shitty bike handling (like really unbelievably shitty)
- timed chases that if you fuck up do to some randomness associated with the world...that's it! redo the shit you did 10 mintues prior all over again mate!
- an almost completely broken camera/movement system
- A useless "restart mission" option

I've beat every GTA minus San Andreas, so I've seen these issues throughout the entire series and am still flabergasted that they STILL exist

voltron

Yeah I agree with some of those. I dont mind the bikes though... They handle the way the do for a reason - so theyre not completely easy to ride and take some skill.

Definitely agree with the other points though. Would expect things t be different by now.

Eriatarka

Banned
voltron said:
Yeah I agree with some of those. I dont mind the bikes though... They handle the way the do for a reason - so theyre not completely easy to ride and take some skill.

Definitely agree with the other points though. Would expect things t be different by now.
I think they handle pretty well and are fun to drive when just driving around. When you have to chase people it becomes another story. The bike missions are the only missions I had to try a few times before I beat them.

I finally got all the flying rats and I have a question about the heli you get on top of the MeTV building. Some times when i go up the building the heli isn't there, and some times it is. Does it have a spawn time of day, like in the morning or something, cause it a little aggravating getting all the rats and not have the heli there every time I want to use it.

Top Bottom