• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

voltron

TheOneGuy said:
THERE IS NO PIGEON 188.

Ok, I had the same problem. The way they describe it with the accompanying picture is fucking stupid and incorrect.

This picture is the one they use to tell you where #187 is:

187--article_image.jpg

BUT, the pigeon you can see on the corner of that building opposite IS ACTUALLY #188.

#187 is not visible in the picture they give you.... an easy way to spot 187 is to be on the street and look up at Mr Fuk's shop at the red awning and youll see it on the left hand side under the awning.

If it seems you already got it then have you seen my post on the previous page about #84? I seriously recommend you investigating it again because I missed it twice while doing all 200 pigeons twice.

raYne

voltron said:
Just watched this video that Kotaku mentioned in their drunk video thing. Something they mention in the video got me thinking: Is there a chainsaw in GTA4?

I havent seen one yet.
Nope. It isn't even something like the sledgehammer, which is in the game and used by construction workers, but you just can't use. It's just not there at all.

Also, that was one of the weapons they mentioned since way back in the early preview days that wouldn't be in the game. Along with the mingun, flamethrower etc.

raYne

darkjacob said:
Any-one find this game really hard? i'm struggling on alot of the boat missions on the third island, i keep flipping the boat.:lol
:lol How does that even happen? Do you crash it into something?

Mau ®

I couldn't possibly say something that has not been said before but anyway. I have been playing this for like 5 hours straight now, to the point where I feel dirty (I usually feel like playing videogames all day is a waste of time but oh well).

Anyway, this is exactly like GTA. I wasnt expecting a reinvention but its fundamentally the same game of we've played 5 times (if you count PSP games). Yes the grafx are good this time (face modelling is still horrid though) and I guess the cover system is a nice addition but everything else is the almost exactly the same.

But I like it anyway, for some reason. Probably the story, dialogue and the media humor.

raYne

Papercuts said:
If you scrape off the side of something and try to turn away too fast it'll probably flip.
Yeah, I figured that. I'm just wondering why he's supposedly always crashing into stuff, heh.

voltron

inthezone said:
I couldn't possibly say something that has not been said before but anyway. I have been playing this for like 5 hours straight now, to the point where I feel dirty (I usually feel like playing videogames all day is a waste of time but oh well).

Anyway, this is exactly like GTA. I wasnt expecting a reinvention but its fundamentally the same game of we've played 5 times (if you count PSP games). Yes the grafx are good this time (face modelling is still horrid though) and I guess the cover system is a nice addition but everything else is the almost exactly the same.

But I like it anyway, for some reason. Probably the story, dialogue and the media humor.

Yeah its the same. But I still loved it - despite its predictable shortcomings.

Man. I've been playing with auto-aim off, and it just makes things frustrating. I turned it back on, and everything was nice.

Anyway, I'm about to beat this game.

rareside

Quick question, maybe someone can shed some light.

So I've beaten the game, and now I'm trying to play all the Assassin missions. My problem is that each time I reload, sometimes I have to replay the same missions?

Is this on purpose or did my game not save the first time I beat it?

Are all these missions supposed to always be available?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
rareside said:

So I've beaten the game, and now I'm trying to play all the Assassin missions. My problem is that each time I reload, sometimes I have to replay the same missions?

Is your autosave off?

raYne

rareside said:

I always manual save before exiting the game, so I don't remember if the game autosaved after the ending, but I don't doubt it would've.

Still, it sounds like a save issue (auto-save off?)because you definitely don't have to replay a mission after you've beaten it and they certainly aren't always available.

Tobor

I finally finished the main storyline. The games a little on the easy side, but I'll still be playing for weeks. I need to finish up Stevie's cars, the most wanted list, and the pigeons.

Bring on the DLC!

voltron

dankir said:
Man I'm crying after that Kotaku Grand Theft DUI video, oh man where he falls over after puking AHAHAHAHAHAHHA:D :D :D :D

Im impressed he actually went far enough that he had to vomit. Would have been easy to just 'pretend'.

Is there a good way to make money after you finish the game? I need about $18k more to get the $500k achievement.

The only thing I can think of is races (which I believe you can do indefinitely), but that's only about $500 a pop. I finished all of Brucie's car theft missions . . .

raYne

professor_t said:
Is there a good way to make money after you finish the game? I need about $18k more to get the $500k achievement.

The only thing I can think of is races (which I believe you can do indefinitely), but that's only about $500 a pop. I finished all of Brucie's car theft missions . . .
Did you do Stevie's missions? If so, you can carry any old car back to the garage and he'll buy it from you. Meaning you can steal a car right outside, drive it 3 feet into the garage, get money.. repeat process.

Depending on the car you bring, you can get thousands each (up to 11,000 if I recall). Especially good if you have something good at the nearby hideout. So you can steal the clones around the block and take them to him

Which car does everyone find to be the best? I know that certain cars will suit certain individual driving styles better, but I was wondering if there was a clear winner for everybody. Don't think that cars and bikes can really be considered spoilers but I'll block them out just in case.

I haven't driven the Infernus or SuperGT, but I've found the Comet to be the clear winner so far. It's quick, handles beautifully, and can take a fair bit of punishment. The Banshee is quicker in a straight line I think but handles poorly and the width can be a hindrance when lane splitting; the Coquette is pretty good but struggles for traction sometimes (I'd name it runner up though); the Turismo isn't bad but can be a little 'light' sometimes and easily spun out by minor collisions with other cars. Have only driven the SultanRS for a short distance, but it seems to suffer from more understeer than the Comet.

Also on the topic of bikes, is the PCJ still a better handler than the NRG? In previous games I always found the PCJ much better at cornering than the NRG, even if it wasn't as quick in a straight line. Are there any other bikes worth a mention?

raYne said:
Did you do Stevie's missions? If so, you can carry any old car back to the garage and he'll buy it from you. Meaning you can steal a car right outside, drive it 3 feet into the garage, get money.. repeat process.

Depending on the car you bring, you can get thousands each (up to 11,000 if I recall). Especially good if you have something good at the nearby hideout. So you can steal the clones around the block and take them to him

No, I didn't. I think I missed his original message, so I hope it's still on my phone. Thanks for the heads up.

voltron

Yeah after going for all the pigeons I actually hod like no money left, from all the hospital visits, taxi rides and weapon purchases.

So I just go to Stevies garage and usually there are Land Stalkers cruising past. And by usually I mean always. Just jack one of those and they pay 5k a pop. Repeat.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think my autosave is broken, it's on but after I clear a new stuntjump it plays that music but doesn't say saving in the corner, I had to redo a couple jumps again. Oh well, I guess I'll just use the manual save from now on.

endlessflood said:
Which car does everyone find to be the best? I know that certain cars will suit certain individual driving styles better, but I was wondering if there was a clear winner for everybody. Don't think that cars and bikes can really be considered spoilers but I'll block them out just in case.

I haven't driven the Infernus or SuperGT, but I've found the Comet to be the clear winner so far. It's quick, handles beautifully, and can take a fair bit of punishment. The Banshee is quicker in a straight line I think but handles poorly and the width can be a hindrance when lane splitting; the Coquette is pretty good but struggles for traction sometimes (I'd name it runner up though); the Turismo isn't bad but can be a little 'light' sometimes and easily spun out by minor collisions with other cars. Have only driven the SultanRS for a short distance, but it seems to suffer from more understeer than the Comet.

Also on the topic of bikes, is the PCJ still a better handler than the NRG? In previous games I always found the PCJ much better at cornering than the NRG, even if it wasn't as quick in a straight line. Are there any other bikes worth a mention?

The Comet and the Sabre GT are probably my favorite cars. The Sabre isn't as fast but I usually enjoy driving it more than the Comet.

Eriatarka

Banned
Papercuts said:
I think my autosave is broken, it's on but after I clear a new stuntjump it plays that music but doesn't say saving in the corner, I had to redo a couple jumps again. Oh well, I guess I'll just use the manual save from now on.
It never saves after stunt jumps.

[edit]

Today both of my comets were stolen from my safe house. :(

Hahaha, I can't pull myself away from this game. I know a few pages back I said I was taking a break, but Liberty City keeps pulling me back. Approaching 80 hours now and I'm starting to go on my own adventures while looking for pigeons. I'll divert my course and just fuck around with NPCs and whatnot... fun stuff.

One question I will raise to you guys though, does anyone else here feel that Alderney island is kind of pointless after completing the game? It feels so empty compared to Broker, Dukes, and Algonquin. Unless I'm looking for a car that Stevie or Brucie wants, I'm never there.

Twig

Banned
voltron said:
If it seems you already got it then have you seen my post on the previous page about #84? I seriously recommend you investigating it again because I missed it twice while doing all 200 pigeons twice.
I know I got every pigeon except those two I mentioned. And yeah, I know that wasn't the best picture. I watched two videos of the pigeon, too, to find exactly where it was. Trust me, I was very methodical with my pigeon hunting, because I wanted to avoid this exact problem.

When I say very methodical, I mean I went to the spot where the pigeon was. Looked at the picture. Watched TWO videos showing the pigeon. Killed it. Looked at the picture again. Watched a video again. Made absolutely sure I killed the correct pigeon. Checked it off. And if there was ever a time I couldn't find a pigeon, I wrote down that I couldn't find it and went back and checked them all again last night.

Very methodical. d:

I think my game's just wiggin' out, somehow.

I'll check #84 just in case, but even if, that'll still leave one last pigeon.

IN OTHER WORDS I really don't feel like going through all 200 again. O: The reward is pretty stupid, anyway, considering you can get the Annihilator elsewhere, without all this hassle.

Vaxadrin

Banned
disappeared said:
Hahaha, I can't pull myself away from this game. I know a few pages back I said I was taking a break, but Liberty City keeps pulling me back. Approaching 80 hours now and I'm starting to go on my own adventures while looking for pigeons. I'll divert my course and just fuck around with NPCs and whatnot... fun stuff.

One question I will raise to you guys though, does anyone else here feel that Alderney island is kind of pointless after completing the game? It feels so empty compared to Broker, Dukes, and Algonquin. Unless I'm looking for a car that Stevie or Brucie wants, I'm never there.

That's some high quality game design right there.

Rockstar's created such an accurate portrayal of New Jersey that nobody wants to spend any time there.

voltron

TheOneGuy said:
I know I got every pigeon except those two I mentioned. And yeah, I know that wasn't the best picture. I watched two videos of the pigeon, too, to find exactly where it was. Trust me, I was very methodical with my pigeon hunting, because I wanted to avoid this exact problem.

When I say very methodical, I mean I went to the spot where the pigeon was. Looked at the picture. Watched TWO videos showing the pigeon. Killed it. Looked at the picture again. Watched a video again. Made absolutely sure I killed the correct pigeon. Checked it off. And if there was ever a time I couldn't find a pigeon, I wrote down that I couldn't find it and went back and checked them all again last night.

Very methodical. d:

I think my game's just wiggin' out, somehow.

I'll check #84 just in case, but even if, that'll still leave one last pigeon.

IN OTHER WORDS I really don't feel like going through all 200 again. O: The reward is pretty stupid, anyway, considering you can get the Annihilator elsewhere, without all this hassle.

Whats the annihilator? Anyway I ended up loading a way early save and going through every pigeon again, basically doing what you did.

I got the 200 in the end.... but, annihilator?

Coincidence:

Shes a keeper Mission

So I'm driving to the destination point with that girl in the trunk, she is yelling and cursing all the time, motherfucker this, bastard that...and whats running in the radio (liberty rock station), some song where the guy sings "shes a classy woman"...

Twig

Banned
voltron said:
Whats the annihilator? Anyway I ended up loading a way early save and going through every pigeon again, basically doing what you did.

I got the 200 in the end.... but, annihilator?
Isn't that the reward? The police helicopter or something.

Jamesfrom818 said:
The Comet and the Sabre GT are probably my favorite cars. The Sabre isn't as fast but I usually enjoy driving it more than the Comet.
The Infernus. God, I love that car - the engine snarl is perfect. The fact that it's so rare makes it that much better. I have never seen one just driving the streets (unless I was already in one myself).

Same with the SuperGT, although it was a letdown after the awesomeness that is the Infernus. I finally got the SuperGT during my car theft missions for Stevie. I got the targeted car, then used it to patrol the Algonquin safe house, and jacked/stored a random one before completing the mission.

TheOneGuy said:
Isn't that the reward? The police helicopter or something.
yes, its on the MeTV building, it's not always there though ... :( if you take the lift on the side of the building to reach the top the heli may not be there... which is very stupid. I've found if you take any heli to the top of that building then that police heli will most likely be there... :/

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
what are we doin? commercial? are we gonna hear one about my clotheline, mah sneakeers, mah colooogne, my album and all the projects that I got? If it's not like that, don't put anythin on

KiKaL

So I turned on my 360 and popped in GTA4 and when my game loads im like 3-4 hours behind where I was when I stopped playing a few nights before. What the hell happened to my game? This sucks I was already getting a little burnt out of the game and now this just killed all my motivation to play it. Anyone know why this would happen?

Kittonwy

Banned
MAN U TEH TRUTH!!!
angry.gif

This game is so educational, now I know all these jamaican slangs and talkin' like a rasta, and dat gangsta talk. Ima like diverse man, DIVERSE.
angry.gif

voltron

So Im on 95% completion. Done everything although the percentages for my friends have started waning due to ignoring them while doing stunt jumps(which was really fun -the jumps). Do I need to get their % likes up again to bump my completion percentage up? I already have the 90%+ achievement so they HAVE been there.

Or maybe I havent dont all the random characters? I have the achievement for encountering them all but I noticed that when i finished the second mission for a particular character I got the 0.5% jump in my completion % - which implies that I may have not finshed some random character missions right?

Any help would be fukn awesome.

raYne

voltron said:
So Im on 95% completion. Done everything although the percentages for my friends have started waning due to ignoring them while doing stunt jumps(which was really fun -the jumps). Do I need to get their % likes up again to bump my completion percentage up? I already have the 90%+ achievement so they HAVE been there.

Or maybe I havent dont all the random characters? I have the achievement for encountering them all but I noticed that when i finished the second mission for a particular character I got the 0.5% jump in my completion % - which implies that I may have not finshed some random character missions right?

Any help would be fukn awesome.
The friend "like" percentage doesn't really matter. As long as you've unlocked their abilities, you're fine. That said, if you do all of the available activities with a friend (meaning Jacob, Packie, Brucie), you get an extra 1.67% per person.

Also, did you do the gaming activities stuff? As in win a full bowling game, win a darts game, win a pool game, get the QUB3D high score? You get 1.25% for each.

RE: the random characters, you get .5 per character for completing their full "story" missions. Just meeting them doesn't give you anything.

voltron

raYne said:
The friend "like" percentage doesn't really matter. As long as you've unlocked their abilities, you're fine. That said, if you do all of the available activities with a friend (meaning Jacob, Packie, Brucie), you get an extra 1.67% per person.

Also, did you do the gaming activities stuff? As in win a full bowling game, win a darts game, win a pool game, get the QUB3D high score? You get 1.25% for each.

RE: the random characters, you get .5 per character for completing their full "story" missions. Just meeting them doesn't give you anything.

Yeah Ive got the Qubed high score.... obviously won a game of bowling/darts/pool -- but the question is do I have to win at each activity at least once with every character? Like beat Roman at bowling/pool/darts , repeat with all?

I bet I just havent finished the random character encounters.

*sigh*

-edit- actually I think thats it! I know I definitely havent played darts with Roman!

raYne

voltron said:
Yeah Ive got the Qubed high score.... obviously won a game of bowling/darts/pool -- but the question is do I have to win at each activity at least once with every character? Like beat Roman at bowling/pool/darts , repeat with all?

I bet I just havent finished the random character encounters.

*sigh*
Just a note: In case you missed it, the bowling has to be a full game. Not the usual half.

Yeah, you probably have to win at each activity, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I think the drinking/strip club/caberet etc counts. So you'll probably have to do all of those with each as well.

I've been at 95%+ myself for a while now, but screw it.

voltron

oh yeah - the activities are hella easy to win. Just wish there was some more specific tracking of the activities with each person in the stat page.

raYne

voltron said:
oh yeah - the activities are hella easy to win. Just wish there was some more specific tracking of the activities with each person in the stat page.
Which is why I said, screw it. :lol

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, sorry to change the topic of discussion for a second, but did you guys know that rockets can ricochet off car windshields?? Another awesome detail I stumbled across during a lengthy session yesterday.

Also the damage models for the cars continue to impress me. When a whole corner of a car can get totally smunched in, buckled wheel and all, and it's still (barely) driveable... very funky.

Thanks for the info btw people, I didn't know you had to do each activity with everyone before you're 'done' with them.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
To get that Most Wanted-achievement, do you have to do 10 missions on each island? I did on one but nothing happened, so..

Tr4nce

B-Genius said:
Thanks for the info btw people, I didn't know you had to do each activity with everyone before you're 'done' with them.

Is that true? I don't recall doing every activity with Dwayne, yet he is already my friend. Oh well, thanks if this is true. Then I can finally complete my friendship with Jacob and hope I can finally get some weapons from him, at least that is what I read in some old preview, but until this day I still have not got that.

Top Bottom