• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

What I'd like to see Rockstar do.... well, every developer actually.... is seamlessly integrate the music on your console/PC hard drive into the game. Just some aimless chatter/adverts between songs and then it plays a track off your hard drive. Custom soundtracks would be a lot better if they integrated into the game better (ie. only plays when in cars/bars/shops etc, rather than non-stop all the time)

FightyF

Banned
raYne said:
Except it isn't subjective considering many games do driving far better. It's opinion and a wrong one at that.

If the game had realistic physics, you'd REALLY be complaining, along with hundreds of other people.

I really think I should make a "how to drive a car" video for the hundreds of people in the "What's wrong with GTA4" thread.

Apply real life concepts. If you are finding a car too hard to drive, simply SLOW DOWN!

sionyboy said:
What I'd like to see Rockstar do.... well, every developer actually.... is seamlessly integrate the music on your console/PC hard drive into the game. Just some aimless chatter/adverts between songs and then it plays a track off your hard drive. Custom soundtracks would be a lot better if they integrated into the game better (ie. only plays when in cars/bars/shops etc, rather than non-stop all the time)

SR did it well. They didn't implement the ads or news updates though...but it did it well.

As far as the story is concerned, when you factor in the conversations you have with NPCs when you go out to do stuff, you get a better picture of Nico, and you realize that the only thing he was good at was killing people, and he's simply doing that to get by. You also realize that he's not normal, and thus a normal job would not be suitable for him. You also realize that he's in America for one reason,
to hunt someone down.

Maybe it's my selective memory...but were there many repetitive missions? I remember a lot of good ones that varied quite a bit, but may I just remember them because they were memorable. I'm gonna have to check gamefaqs one of these days and see what ratio of missions were indeed repetitive.

Nameless

voltron said:
Yeah I don't know what everyones problem is. The cars are easy as shit to drive.

Yeah, thats one thing I haven't been able to understand either. You have far more control over cars than in any previous game. They removed some of the handicap, but its far more rewarding. Being aware of your speed(i.e. not hitting turns at 100mph), controlling the camera as you drive(not hard at all), and knowing how/when to use the brake & handbrake is the key to driving in this game.

The muscle cars in this game are especially awesome.

Dez

voltron said:
Yeah I don't know what everyones problem is. The cars are easy as shit to drive.

well I can understand the complaints when using the default camera. For some reason the driving only clicked for me in 1st person, where it's fantastic. The first person camera for the car is the best i've seen in any driving game so far. It doesn't try to be too realistic with too much fluff obstructing your view, but it also moves really well with the car and you get a good sense of speed and how much you have to slow down to make a turn.

Saya

Is it just me or are there less movie references in GTA IV than in the previous GTA's?

The most obvious one to me was the strip club in Alderney (Honkers) -> the Sopranos (Ba Da Bing).

Vaxadrin

Banned
I love how all the cars handle differently. It really rewards you for investing time in the game world and learning them. In my 2nd playthrough, I've found things like chases to be far easier because now I know that if I take a Taxi along to the mission instead of whatever car was closest to jack, it'll be much easier to take corners, for example.

Also, controlling the camera while driving feels more immersive. If you pull up to an intersection, you have to look to the side before/while you turn. It makes perfect sense. Once you've gotten to know the right stick's ratio of movement to view angle, it becomes second nature. I'm thinking the reason they did it is because, if they made the camera shift as you made a turn, it would probably be swerving left & right like crazy as you weaved in and out of traffic, thinking you're about to make a wide turn.

On a similar note, it's kind of like how you have to look both ways before crossing the street. It's such a fundamental real-world concept, yet such a foreign video game concept, that I always find it hilarious when I forget to look, say "ooh a hot dog vendor" and blindly run out, only to get plowed by a hummer for half my health.

On a completely unrelated note, last night I was redoing the mission where
Gerry asks you to dress up as an Albanian and partake in a bike chase.
Because of my affinity for the bikes, I managed to catch up with him & gun him down literally 10 seconds after the mission began. I lol'ed because I thought they "ruined the game with scripted chase sequences".

Vaxadrin

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
Damn the last mission. I can't get the helicopter to aim properly.

Just hold X (or square) and slowly push the left stick forward. I actually did this by accident just trying to accelerate.

womfalcs3

Banned
Vaxadrin said:
Just hold X (or square) and slowly push the left stick forward. I actually did this by accident just trying to accelerate.

Thanks. I'll try that next time. The last two times involved the helicopter diving into the water as I tried to get it lower to aim ahead. (Because I couldn't get it to tilt forward)

sionyboy said:
the psp versions of GTA did this, i was hoping GTA4 would have done this

eshwaaz

womfalcs3 said:
Damn the last mission. I can't get the helicopter to aim properly.

It took me five tries to beat that mission, and I discovered that you don't need to aim at all. Actually, you don't even need to fire the guns - just dodge the incoming RPGs for a pre-determined amount of time and a cutscene will trigger.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
guise said:
None of the songs I have ZiT'd have shown up on social club at all. The best way I have found is to just remember the name of the track when it gets texted to you and then just search for it on iTunes. Either that or go to wikipedia and look at the radio station tracklistings and look them up one by one on iTunes until you find the right one.
ZiT is such a great concept in theory, too bad that Rockstar Social Club is just an absolute shambles.

Yeah, I have been doing that as well. I have been going to Amazon instead of iTunes though. A shame that Zit isn't working.

stewacide

AgentOtaku said:
aside from the bikes, I will wholeheartedly agree that the driving model itself is rather brilliant
I just don't like how Rockstar implemented the controls...specifically the lack of used range in the triggers....

Since I've spent so much time just driving around 'legit', here are my list of nit-picky things I'm sure someone will address in a PC mod someday:

- It's tricky to come to a normal stop, without either going into reverse briefly or having to employ the parking brake and skidding.
- The AI drivers switch lanes seemingly randomly, very often for no reason at all (a lot of real-world driving games suffer this)
- If there's a long lineup at a stop light, the cars at the back sometimes won't realize it's because of the light and will try to drive around the line or even ram their way through!
- Bikes are often 'invisible' to cars, especially at traffic lights.
- The 'dead zones' on the triggers (360) are a lot larger than they need to be.

...and I wholly endorse 1st-person view. I agree it's the best I've experienced in a game: it's in the perfect place on all the vehicles I've tried: great compromise between the 'realistic' behind the steering wheel view where you can't see anything, and the typical hood-ornament camera so many games use. I just wish there was a centre-view function that didn't require quickly looking backwards however. The really tricky to control vehicles (sportbikes, muscle cars, helicoptor, etc) become a piece of cake in first person.

edit -- also need turn signals :D

dork

Banned
Another_visitor said:
Didn't have a problem with it. Out of curiosity, did you get a green huntley for the last delivery? I also remember Jacob phoning & explaining that there wouldn't be any more deliveries.

Sorry the bridge thing didn't work for you. Sounds like you're having rotten luck with the achievements.

I don't think I got anything for the last delivery...He has no more jobs left..:( maybe i need to hang out with him again or something

I flew under about 10 bridges and then crashed, and then started again and then it started telling me i had like 14 left etc. I guess you cant fly under them when you are flying brucie around....

AirBrian

Vaxadrin said:
On a similar note, it's kind of like how you have to look both ways before crossing the street. It's such a fundamental real-world concept, yet such a foreign video game concept, that I always find it hilarious when I forget to look, say "ooh a hot dog vendor" and blindly run out, only to get plowed by a hummer for half my health.

That happened to me so many times when I first started playing. Now I be sure to check both ways. :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Vaxadrin said:
I lol'ed because I thought they "ruined the game with scripted chase sequences".

?

If it was scripted he would not have died...while a couple are normal chases that are perfectly fine, most aren't. Strictly speaking motorcycles,
the mission where you chase the two bikers into the subway is scripted, and even though I was right behind then nailing them with bullets and seeing blood fly, the one died, and the other wouldn't until after a certain point. Hating the Haters or something like that is the same, the Faggio chase through the park is scripted and the guy won't die until after Bernie gets on, it's annoying.

I have no problem with chases if they aren't scripted and there's not an abundance of them, like you even said the mission you did was completed in seconds because of your skill with handling a motorcycle, but most are scripted and no matter how well you maneuver you need to wait to kill.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Papercuts said:
?

If it was scripted he would not have died...while a couple are normal chases that are perfectly fine, most aren't. Strictly speaking motorcycles,
the mission where you chase the two bikers into the subway is scripted, and even though I was right behind then nailing them with bullets and seeing blood fly, the one died, and the other wouldn't until after a certain point. Hating the Haters or something like that is the same, the Faggio chase through the park is scripted and the guy won't die until after Bernie gets on, it's annoying.

I have no problem with chases if they aren't scripted and there's not an abundance of them, like you even said the mission you did was completed in seconds because of your skill with handling a motorcycle, but most are scripted and no matter how well you maneuver you need to wait to kill.

I don't know about the subway one, but for Hating the Haters I definitely iced the guy without Bernie. I remember I had to go pick him up afterwards.

Papercuts

Really? I guess I just took a few shots and since he didn't fall off I assumed to just wait because it was probably scripted. The other one is definitely scripted though.

Holy shit. This game is getting on my nerves.

Have any of you beaten the mission "Catch The Wave"? This shit is fucking IMPOSSIBLE. How do I beat this? Fuck this mission. Fuck this game.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Papercuts said:
Really? I guess I just took a few shots and since he didn't fall off I assumed to just wait because it was probably scripted. The other one is definitely scripted though.

I guess I've just got mad moped skillz. My nickname in high school was "Big Faggio".

Papercuts

U K Narayan said:
Holy shit. This game is getting on my nerves.

Have any of you beaten the mission "Catch The Wave"? This shit is fucking IMPOSSIBLE. How do I beat this? Fuck this mission. Fuck this game.

I know I hated this...but I can't remember which annoying boat mission it is.
Is it for Bernie, Derrik, or that one mob guy who I can't remember the name of?

Papercuts said:
I know I hated this...but I can't remember which annoying boat mission it is.
Is it for Bernie, Derrik, or that one mob guy who I can't remember the name of?
It's for stupid
Phill Bell

I read somewhere that the trick is
to leave one enemy near you alive so that Phil doesn't go charging into the warehouse and get himself killed. But man the drive to that mission pissed me off after the third or fourth time.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
It's for stupid
Phill Bell

I read somewhere that the trick is
to leave one enemy near you alive so that Phil doesn't go charging into the warehouse and get himself killed. But man the drive to that mission pissed me off after the third or fourth time.
Dude, I tried this mission three times. I was really bent on beating this game, today. But that mission is enough to make me sell this damn game.

Papercuts

Yeah, that missions really sucks.

I backed the truck up pretty far so dumbass would take longer to barge in and get killed, then autoaimed for headshots as fast as possible, then tossed a grenade in the warehouse and picked the guys off the top as Phil ran in. He survived somehow, and then two boats ambush you, kill them or keep going if you think you can, just MAKE SURE YOU DON'T FLIP THE FUCKING BOAT LIKE I DID. :(

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I failed that mission the first time, because of dumbass Phil. The next time he got stuck behind the truck door and didn't even help in combat (which acutally helped). Try backing the truck up away from the warehouse before you get out. You might get lucky, and have Phil get stuck behind the passenger side door. He'll just stand there running into the door.

raYne

FightyF said:
If the game had realistic physics, you'd REALLY be complaining, along with hundreds of other people.

I really think I should make a "how to drive a car" video for the hundreds of people in the "What's wrong with GTA4" thread.

Apply real life concepts. If you are finding a car too hard to drive, simply SLOW DOWN!
I'm well over 80 hours invested in the game with two playthrough files and mp. Driving a car isn't exactly a problem and hasn't been since hour 1.

..and since I have to repeat myself. Just because someone can do >insert thing< with the given controls doesn't mean they're actually well done. No shit it's easier to control if you drive slower. The issue is that they don't behave as they should. Again, it's too exaggerated. I don't see what's hard to understand about that.

In real life, even the crappiest beater car doesn't have it's brakes lock up and you go sliding for 10 feet because you stomped on the brakes to go around a corner at 20mph. Nor do they sway back and forth so much that the rear drags on the floor because you took a corner too hard.

Chrange

Banned
Papercuts said:

That's the problem - people don't get the easy kill and they scream "SCRIPTED!" like they know what they're talking about.
I killed him the easy way - I ditched the scooter, stole a car and ran his ass over. Then I had to evade the police before getting Bernie.

Papercuts

Chrange said:
That's the problem - people don't get the easy kill and they scream "SCRIPTED!" like they know what they're talking about.
I killed him the easy way - I ditched the scooter, stole a car and ran his ass over. Then I had to evade the police before getting Bernie.

I wouldn't scream scripted if there weren't so many as it is, I'm almost afraid to even try because I know it's probably pointless. :p

In the car ones I always let loose with bullets to see if I have to wait or not, there's only a couple motorcycle ones and I guess only one of those is scripted.

BeeDog

Finished the two last missions today, talk about disappointments, easy as hell and bland compared to let's say "Three Leaf Clover". The endings were also pretty damn anti-climactic. :(

Mr Spliff

Hey GAF, I don't know where I went wrong but can someone tell me what to do next?

SPOILERS just in case - don't know how to do the black out thing

I got a mission for the dude "G", didn't do it cause I got distracted, then it disappeared and I got another mission for the guy "J". All of this after I did all the "U" missions. Now, no more missions come up. I've called everyone and I've played for another 5 hours and nothing. Did I get a bad ending or miss something? Please advise.

Twig

Banned
Fucking fucking what fuck.

Very slowly and methodically did I go through the 200 pigeons. I checked off each one as I got it, using the gamesradar map. I had four beforehand, but I didn't know which ones. I made a special note about the pigeons I couldn't find.

Everything is going absolutely swimmingly. I get to number 187 using the aforementioned map, also having made four special notes for the four pigeons I already killed, just in case I might be wrong (but I know I'm not). I have 187 pigeons killed. I go to pigeon 188. There's absolutely NO WAY IN HELL I got this pigeon before. I would have remembered it. I remembered the four I DID get. I remembered going there and shooting them.

THERE IS NO PIGEON 188.

It's not there.

\:

I figure I'll finish up the other pigeons first. 189 and up. I get to 197. AGAIN. NO PIGEON 197. Again, I know for a fact I didn't get this one. I would have remembered it. I do remember this underpass, though. It's the underpass where the last mission starts after the initial car chase. I don't remember a pigeon there the first time, either, before I knew there was SUPPOSED to be a pigeon there.

So I got 198, 199, and 200 no problem.

Now I'm at 198/200 pigeons. And I know where the last two SHOULD BE. But they aren't there.

/rant

/weep

On top of this and the non-working social club, I am so glad I didn't rush to try to get 100%. I would've been cheesed, as they say.

Couldn't find the answer to these in the thread.

For the mission where you have to
kill an informer for the police chief by getting onto the roof with a sniper rifle... how the fuck do you get onto the roof?

And for the mission where you have to
block a tunnel with a truck to capture a escaping prisoner for the irish fuckers how the hell do you get away in the armored car? It's slow as shit.

AndersTheSwede said:
Couldn't find the answer to these in the thread.

For the mission where you have to
kill an informer for the police chief by getting onto the roof with a sniper rifle... how the fuck do you get onto the roof?

There's an apartment building you can get into on the other side of the street.

And for the mission where you have to
block a tunnel with a truck to capture a escaping prisoner for the irish fuckers how the hell do you get away in the armored car? It's slow as shit.

Drive in opposite traffic and make frequent turns.

Doc Evils

My online rank:

14ky5q9.png

womfalcs3

Banned
eshwaaz said:
It took me five tries to beat that mission, and I discovered that you don't need to aim at all. Actually, you don't even need to fire the guns - just dodge the incoming RPGs for a pre-determined amount of time and a cutscene will trigger.

I got hit with one, but his boat had already been burning. Anyway, had to chase him down on foot. The McReary family is in the gutter. Kate is dead, Gerry is in prison, I killed Francis, who himself is was crooked. Not to mention the drug addict Derrick and the fact they are all/were gangsters.
I feel bad for their mother. It was a pain having to run across the island to find a boat and then drive all the way to the north where my safehouses are to save.

Glad it's over with though. Now I can focus on the side stuff.

Twig

Banned
Won said:
Hmm 188 is kinda hard to see, took me a while even with pic and video. 197....uhhmm open your eyes? :p
When I say they're not there, I mean they're really just not there. ;-;

(Granted, I would love to be proven wrong!)

voltron

Just watched this video that Kotaku mentioned in their drunk video thing. Something they mention in the video got me thinking: Is there a chainsaw in GTA4?

I havent seen one yet.

Top Bottom