• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Xevren

Yay my gamestop is doing a midnight release! There was a whopping 2 people there for Halo 3 so hopefully it will be just as easy getting in and out fast.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I totally have my Monday midnight planned. Gonna meet up with a chum at 8, watch No Country for Old Men, play some games, hit the launch and play till dawn.

Freaking A' man. Freaking A.

Xevren said:
Yay my gamestop is doing a midnight release! There was a whopping 2 people there for Halo 3 so hopefully it will be just as easy getting in and out fast.

Seriously? They are expecting at least 100 at my store. The Red Bull promo guys are supposed to be there passing out Red Bull for free. I figure I better get there around 10:30 if I don't want to be in waiting in line for a while after midnight. Also, I hope they have some damn cops or something out there. Its just Columbia SC, but there are some crazy people here.

chubigans said:
I totally have my Monday midnight planned. Gonna meet up with a chum at 8, watch No Country for Old Men, play some games, hit the launch and play till dawn.

Freaking A' man. Freaking A.

I got my day plained too! I work until 5:30 on Monday. When I get off I am going home and taking a nap until about 10 PM. Then I will get up and go to Game Stop, which is only 2 minutes from my house. I have the next day off from work, so I am going to play all damn night and day. The wife will just have stay in bed and watch TV because the HDTV will be tied up for about 18 hrs or so!

Xevren

cjtiger300 said:
Seriously? They are expecting at least 100 at my store. The Red Bull promo guys are supposed to be there passing out Red Bull for free. I figure I better get there around 10:30 if I don't want to be in waiting in line for a while after midnight. Also, I hope they have some damn cops or something out there. Its just Columbia SC, but there are some crazy people here.

There's 4 gamestops in the area, but the one I go to rarely gets business compared to the other three. I'm surprised they're doing a midnight release at that one but it works out for me since im too lazy to go to the other ones.

dedhead54

Xevren said:
There's 4 gamestops in the area, but the one I go to rarely gets business compared to the other three. I'm surprised they're doing a midnight release at that one but it works out for me since im too lazy to go to the other ones.

That's how the GS closest to my house is. It doesn't get a whole lot of business really. I get off work at 10:00pm Monday so I'll probably hang around after work and head towards my house around 10:30, stopping at GS on the way.

Jesus I haven't been so excited for a videogame since GTA3. :D

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I can't do midnight launch because stupid Canadian Wal Marts aren't 24 hours and it's too late (and I'm too lazy) for me to switch preorders. Oh well.

Futureshops are doing midnight launches. Some EBs are doing midnight launches. Gamerama in Toronto will probably do a midnight launch (they have for Halo 3 and other big games). Some WalMarts are 24 hours (Barrie South for example) as well.

Fatghost said:
Futureshops are doing midnight launches. Some EBs are doing midnight launches. Gamerama in Toronto will probably do a midnight launch (they have for Halo 3 and other big games). Some WalMarts are 24 hours (Barrie South for example) as well.
Do you think Wal Mart would take a refund on a preorder for a game AFTER it comes out? I might hang on to my Wal Mart preorder and try Futureshop at midnight. If successful I'll just refund my preorder at Wal Mart if I can.

Xevren said:

There are 16 Game Stops in a 15 mile radius of my house. 13 are doing midnight releases. Pretty crazy for town the size of Columbia SC. Video games are pretty damn big here.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Do you think Wal Mart would take a refund on a preorder for a game AFTER it comes out? I might hang on to my Wal Mart preorder and try Futureshop at midnight. If successful I'll just refund my preorder at Wal Mart if I can.

Sure. If not, you just pick it up and return it with the receipt at the same time.

G-Bus

Banned
So. Awesome.

Tuesday needs to hurry the fuck up and get here.

Keep forgetting about multiplayer too! :D :D

Euphoria.. best decision R* made IMO.

dejay

Banned
My EB (in Aus) are doing a midnight release - safety deposit box edition here I come. They open at 10 and start giving them out at 12.01. This will be my first midnight release - is it usually a first come, first serve thing, do they give you a ticket or is it pure anarchy?

I'm actually trying to switch sifts so that I work Monday night instead of Tuesday. The latest I'll be there is about 10:30pm anyway. That way I can leave work, get to the store, watch the first season on Frisky Dingo on my ipod, then c-o-l-l-e-c-t my prize and play all night and not worry about working the next day.

dejay said:
My EB (in Aus) are doing a midnight release - safety deposit box edition here I come. They open at 10 and start giving them out at 12.01. This will be my first midnight release - is it usually a first come, first serve thing, do they give you a ticket or is it pure anarchy?

I doubt there will be anarchy as they have done this before. All the ones
I have been too, they form two lines. One line is for people who have the game paid in full and will just be picking up the game. The second line has the people who still owe money. The line of paid in full moves a lot faster so I would suggest paying it off if you haven't already!

guidop

dejay said:

They do it in order of the time people line up so the early bird gets the worm

Kingpen

I just saw a pretty prominent GAFFER playing GTA IV on my friends list....

I don't know how the fuck he got it so early... Hopefully he will post impressions. I won't spoil who it is so I don't steal his thunder if he comes in and talks about it.

dejay said:
When I went to the midnight launch of San Andreas, they had 3 lines. If you only paid 5 bux you were in the long line. If you paid more but not all then you got line 2. Line three (fully paid) was only two people, myself and a marine who knew way more about the game already than I did. They went from the shortest line out, so I got mine first and was miles away before they even got to the mob. I heard the store I'm going to will be having pro street and madden tournaments for a few hours before hand but I don't really like those games : (. I tried REALLY hard to get them to hold a Resistance tournament LOL but they wouldn't go for it.

Acid08 said:
I'm picking up a bottle of Bailey's this weekend to drink while I play. AWESOME.
what just Bailey's? Get some Guinness and Jameson too. Then Do a car bomb every time you do a car bomb, the GTA4 drinking game.

Ariexv

Kingpen said:
I just saw a pretty prominent GAFFER playing GTA IV on my friends list....

I don't know how the fuck he got it so early... Hopefully he will post impressions. I won't spoil who it is so I don't steal his thunder if he comes in and talks about it.
You do realize people are just going to look up your gamertag then go through all your friends right?

Edit: That was actually alot easier then I thought, I wonder how the bastard got it so early.

Ugh, I'm starting to get goosebumps randomly. This wait is going to be killer, my xbox just red ringed and it's taking MS weeks to send me a box =(

I still need to pay off my preorder so I might just do that sometime this weekend. I plan on getting to the midnight launch at Gamestop around 11:00. We'll see how things go...

dedhead54

BobTheFork said:
what just Bailey's? Get some Guinness and Jameson too. Then Do a car bomb every time you do a car bomb, the GTA4 drinking game.

God that would get you so hammered considering how awesome car explosions look. I'll be blowing up every car I see!

Car bombs are the shit, though.

dedhead54 said:
God that would get you so hammered considering how awesome car explosions look. I'll be blowing up every car I see!

Car bombs are the shit, though.
Tasty and competitive : ).
Yeah, its kind of sad, but I'm lining up all the supplies Ill need in advance. The best part though is that I recently bought all new speakers and a SW to finally have a good 5.1 system, Its already been a blast but I can't wait to put it to the GTA test.

Pakman

kylej said:
midnight Monday night is Tuesday.

Which is when the game is released.

I think he knows midnight monday is tuesday. :p A lot of games have release dates that are actually shipping dates. So usually you can't get the game until the day after the date that shows up on these websites.

dedhead54 said:
I'll down some carbombs next week while we play some multiplayer. We'll do freeroam and make a drinking game out of it.
*looks at profile*
xbl gamertag? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I really wish you could go cross platform with this game above all others. Smurf a live newb for me : )

dedhead54

BobTheFork said:
*looks at profile*
xbl gamertag? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I really wish you could go cross platform with this game above all others. Smurf a live newb for me : )

Damn. Yeah, I for sure wish cross platform was supported. :/

takotchi

I guess Circuit Shitty isn't doing a midnight release or anything. Oh well, I get 10% off and a $10 gift card... that makes up for it.

dejay

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
I doubt there will be anarchy as they have done this before. All the ones
I have been too, they form two lines. One line is for people who have the game paid in full and will just be picking up the game. The second line has the people who still owe money. The line of paid in full moves a lot faster so I would suggest paying it off if you haven't already!

Thanks to you and others for the info. I'll pay off the remainder tomorrow.

THREE MORE SLEEPS TO GO!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Is this the most you guys have ever wanted a game? Like, ever?

If not, what was the game you wanted this badly before?

n0b

Eiji said:
I really want this on my PC!!!

Rockstar, release this shit on PC NOW!!!
I know. :( I don't need and can't fully utilize the current consoles even if I had them, but I have a perfectly good computer. How can they just suddenly stop releasing the series on PC after having the rest of the series on it.

Captain N

chespace said:

I'd say for me it was Resident Evil 1 for the Playstation. I remember seeing screen shots of it from an issue of EGM and fell in love from there. All day long I couldn't wait to go pick it up. Sure enough they had it and sold it to me while I was like 12 or 13. They were actually sitting behind the counter playing it on a display unit.

GTA IV has got me hyped for a GTA MUCH MORE than any other one to have come before it.

chespace said:

I've only started getting excited for games like this again just recently. After Vice City I for some reason stopped getting excited like this for big games, but now I can say that I've been pretty excited for Bioshock, Rock Band and this.

chespace said:

REII(awesome), Code Veronica(awesome) , Lost Odyessey(awesome), and the sequel to FFVII which was a let down.

chespace said:

Halo 3 (Awesome, apart from the MP which got boring quickly FOR ME) and FF12(Nice, but major letdown)

Ten-Song

chespace said:

Only other game I ever looked forward to this much was GTA: Vice City...

DeadCell

dedhead54 said:
I'll down some carbombs next week while we play some multiplayer. We'll do freeroam and make a drinking game out of it.
ZOMG!

We should totally do this. Get 16 of us together to meet up near the roller coaster for some serious drunken shenanigans. But what would make for a good drinking game? *rubs chin* The obvious option would be the mini games I guess, Darts, Pool, Bowling etc... but come on, we can come up with something more creative then that.

THINK GAF!

Top Bottom