• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

dedhead54

Question for those who usually do the midnight launch thing:

If I don't have a pre-order anywhere and go to a shopping center in a relatively small area in town with both a Wal-Mart and GameStop (that I know is doing midnight launch), do I stand a good chance of getting a copy that night?

Vik_Vaughn said:
I'd take tuesday off, but I've got a housewife and two kids at home. I've got a 19" monitor at work. Maybe I should bring my 360 in here and just say I'm taking the day off, even though I'll be here. These are life-changing decisions here, people.

Better put the wife in check. My wife will be home, but will probably stay upstairs the whole day! She had to here my countdown for the last couple months, so she knows that it is a pretty big deal to me! As far as my kids go, I am taking them to school at 7:30, so I guess that will be my break from the game so my eyes don't start to bleed!

MechDX

dedhead54 said:

If I don't have a pre-order anywhere and go to a shopping center in a relatively small area in town with both a Wal-Mart and GameStop (that I know is doing midnight launch), do I stand a good chance of getting a copy that night?

Wal Mart, yes. Gamestop, hell no.

Im also kind of surprised that most WM stores will be carrying the CE as well.

I work the next 3 days but I am off Tues, Wed and Thursday of nest week. 3 days of GTA then Iron Man(movie) come the weekend.:D

dedhead54

MechDX said:
Wal Mart, yes. Gamestop, hell no.

Im also kind of surprised that most WM stores will be carrying the CE as well.

I work the next 3 days but I am off Tues, Wed and Thursday of nest week. 3 days of GTA then Iron Man(movie) come the weekend.:D

I figured Wal-Mart would be a better bet. Are you certain they'll have the CE? That's kind of surprising but if that's the case I may go ahead and grab it.

dedhead54 said:

The problem is if there is big crowd, you will have to wait until all the preorder people are done. Also, at my Game Stop they only sell the midnight release to those who preorder. I have seen them turn people away and tell them to come back in the morning.

What is the big deal, just put $5 down so you know you will have a copy.

Double D

cjtiger300 said:
Better put the wife in check. My wife will be home, but will probably stay upstairs the whole day! She had to here my countdown for the last couple months, so she knows that it is a pretty big deal to me! As far as my kids go, I am taking them to school at 7:30, so I guess that will be my break from the game so my eyes don't start to bleed!

Normally I could put the wife in check, but she just had a baby 2 weeks ago. That, and my other son only goes to a 3-year old program, so he gets out at 11:30. Maybe I'll play the game midnight - 7:30, come home and sleep til 11:30, and go into work after lunch. This actually sounds like a really good plan now that I have typed all of this out. Thanks for all your help :lol

MechDX

dedhead54 said:
I figured Wal-Mart would be a better bet. Are you certain they'll have the CE? That's kind of surprising but if that's the case I may go ahead and grab it.

Most stores are getting the CE. They should receive them today.

IT CAME TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

BUT I WAS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

BUT I WASN'T EXPECTING IT UNTIL THE 06/05/2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

STILL HAVEN'T GOT IT, THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I hope this Sixaxis thing is true. OPM did say in their review it was hard to fly helicopters, maybe it's because they were flying it with that?

EDIT: I DON'T HAVE A JOB :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
chespace said:
Is this the most you guys have ever wanted a game? Like, ever?

If not, what was the game you wanted this badly before?
Zak McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders on the C-64. I was in the local enthusiast shop every week for 5 months bugging the clerks as to when it would be out.

Ballistics said:
EDIT: I DON'T HAVE A JOB :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
:lol Classic.

MMaRsu

Yes this is probably the most I've wanted a game EVER. I'd do a GTA for GTAIV :lol

but umm yeah I can't wait to fucking play this, maybe tomorrow!!

Vik_Vaughn said:
Normally I could put the wife in check, but she just had a baby 2 weeks ago. That, and my other son only goes to a 3-year old program, so he gets out at 11:30. Maybe I'll play the game midnight - 7:30, come home and sleep til 11:30, and go into work after lunch. This actually sounds like a really good plan now that I have typed all of this out. Thanks for all your help :lol

Glad I could be of help.....I think, lol:lol ! Congrats on the new baby! I remember the 3 year old program. I had to pick up my son at 10:30 everyday.

MMaRsu said:
Yes this is probably the most I've wanted a game EVER. I'd do a GTA for GTAIV :lol

but umm yeah I can't wait to fucking play this, maybe tomorrow!!

Yeah, I agree. I have never been more hyped and excited for a video game. I haven't watched any of the videos, so maybe that is contributing. I just want to be blown away by the game in motion in glorious HD. Watching vids on Youtube is almost tragic IMHO.

USC-fan

Banned
any place had a break down of the differences between the x360/ps3?

I sure its been ask 1000x in this thread but I hate searching mega-threads

Wollan

Tr4nce said:
I saw the scans of the PSW review and one of them had this little window with text saying that reloading could be done by flicking the SixAxis in the air. Yeah, I know it's fucking awesome!
I like that trend. It works really well actually (army of two).

Onemic

Haven't been this hyped for a game since HL2's release back in 2004. I was scrambling for money when that game came out.(Mainly because I was unemployed and had little to no money.....Then again I was only 15)

Elios83

MMaRsu said:
Nobody knows.

But a PS3 Magazine is reccomending buying the 360 version.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/pics5/buy-gta-iv-on-360-ok-then1.jpg

LOL ukresistance, of course everything can be expected from them, but they forget to mention this little particular that this article of an unknown magazine, is not basing their opinion on actual play-through. They're just speculating that because Rockstar hasn't shown the PS3 version and because of the DLC and higher price at some retailers the 360 version must be better, moreover the article could be quite old considering Rockstar has shown the PS3 version to the press many weeks ago ;)

MMaRsu

GTAIV COME TO ME :(

4cbb3e53246d8b1e6f43e74ce478bda2.gif

Cheech

Vik_Vaughn said:
I'd take tuesday off, but I've got a housewife and two kids at home. I've got a 19" monitor at work. Maybe I should bring my 360 in here and just say I'm taking the day off, even though I'll be here. These are life-changing decisions here, people.

That really is brilliant. If you have your own office it's a no brainer! :lol

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I love working with family. I told my dad and my brother that I'm not coming in to work on Tuesday, and that I will be playing a videogame instead of contributing to society, and they were like... "ok, see you on Wednesday." ...and that was that.

robot

Yea I'm pretty sure the place near me is selling it early. Problem is they jack the price up until the official release date.

MMaRsu

You know I watched the stream last night for a long long time, but I don't want to watch anything anymore. I just want the fucking game now..

MMaRsu said:
Nobody knows.

But a PS3 Magazine is reccomending buying the 360 version.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/pics5/buy-gta-iv-on-360-ok-then1.jpg

How old is that mag? It sounds like that was written months ago. I think the PS3 version will be just fine. Also, it isn't more expensive on the PS3 in the PAL region is it? That is pretty irresponsible for that magazine. The guys hasn't even seen the PS3 version and he is calling the 360 superior. What a Jackhole.

MMaRsu

cjtiger300 said:
How old is that mag? It sounds like that was written months ago. I think the PS3 version will be just fine. Also, it isn't more expensive on the PS3 in the PAL region is it? That is pretty irresponsable for that magazine. The guys hasn't even seen the PS3 version and he is calling the 360 superior. What a Jackhole.

It sure is, most of the time PS3 games are more expensive than 360 games.

Captain Pants said:
I love working with family. I told my dad and my brother that I'm not coming in to work on Tuesday, and that I will be playing a videogame instead of contributing to society, and they were like... "ok, see you on Wednesday." ...and that was that.

I have the day off, but your situation sounds better!

MMaRsu said:

Glad I live in the good old USA. Those more expensive games sure aren't deterring the PAL region gamers from buying the PS3. Also, I just looked on Amazon and they are the same price. Weird.

iceatcs

MMaRsu said:

Amazon UK made GTAIV PS3 cheapest, but it is only 1p cheaper anyway. I dunno SE version, PS3 have a missing price.

But yeah lots of retails used the high RRP price than 360 version. I think due the shipping cost due lack or far away from blu-ray copies factory. Hope resolve soon as possible.

Eric WK

dedhead54 said:
I wouldn't expect the review until Monday night. That's what they've always done with GTA games.

Eurogamer has said that the embargo for everyone but the exclusive drops Sunday afternoon EST and GameTrailers has a countdown to Sunday morning.

onemic said:
Embargo till sunday.

Someone here had said that IGN has the exclusive review, which obviously would not be under the same embargo as other media outlets.

hitoshi

Great, GAME have not shipped the game, It won't be delivered until monday - I won't receive it at least until wednesday. Great. I'll never, ever order anything from them again, it the misleading of customers, it was said to be sent just in time to be shipped in time. They are not responding to emails too, really great way to take care of customers.

Top Bottom