• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

kylej

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
still no US ads :lol

People from Microsoft are going to visit all our houses while we sleep and tattoo the GTAIV logo on our foreheads.

Sony and MS are big corporations and America is enormous. The marketing wave will come soon and when it does it will be so strong that we're going to drown in it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
hitoshi said:
Great, GAME have not shipped the game, It won't be delivered until monday - I won't receive it at least until wednesday. Great. I'll never, ever order anything from them again, it the misleading of customers, it was said to be sent just in time to be shipped in time. They are not responding to emails too, really great way to take care of customers.
I think that's going to be the case for every store, because R* forbade online retailers to ship before Monday.

And we waited 6 extra months for this game. What difference does a few days make?

kylej said:
People from Microsoft are going to visit all our houses while we sleep and tattoo the GTAIV logo on our foreheads.

Sony and MS are big corporations and America is enormous. The marketing wave will come soon and when it does it will be so strong that we're going to drown in it.

It's still strange that for such a big game that ads weren't started up at least a week in advance of its release (other than the Game Stop ad).

hitoshi

SapientWolf said:
And we waited 6 extra months for this game. What difference does a few days make?

A lot. I could have just walked into our warehouse and picked up a copy for an extra 30 bucks on Tuesday. Yeah, games are really overpriced in Europe.

kylej

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's still strange that for such a big game that ads weren't started up at least a week in advance of its release (other than the Game Stop ad).

Yeah I don't really understand it. Maybe they're targeting the casual market with ads after its release so at the end of the commercial they can say "In stores now"? Dunno.

my gamestop in the mall is opening at 10, supplying pizza and redbull via sponsors and giving out random prizes ect...should be good times

Himuro said:
THE NEW NIKO TRAILER IS SO AMAZING. I HOPE GAME HAS THAT MOOD BUT BECAUSE IF IT DOESN'T I WILL BE SAD.

YES I KNOW I'M TYPING IN CAPS

Yeah, that was impressive. I am getting a feeling that Niko is going to be my favorite GTA lead character.

Eric WK

cjtiger300 said:
Yeah, that was impressive. I am getting a feeling that Niko is going to be my favorite GTA lead character.

Yeah, I thought that would go without saying. New hardware has allowed R* to bring Niko to life in ways that just weren't imaginable with Claude, Tommy or CJ.

All right guys. Anyone wanna guess how many units this is going to sell in the first week. I think I have heard 5 million, but could it be more? Everyone I know with a PS3 or 360 is getting this game next week.

kylej

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
All right guys. Anyone wanna guess how many units this is going to sell in the first week. I think I have heard 5 million, but could it be more?

nah, not 5 million I don't think. maybe 3 mil across both platforms. 2 mil 360, 1 mil PS3.

Onemic

Eric WK said:
Yeah, I thought that would go without saying. New hardware has allowed R* to bring Niko to life in ways that just weren't imaginable with Claude, Tommy or CJ.

GTA3 guy's name way Claude? I thought he was nameless?

Onemic

cjtiger300 said:
All right guys. Anyone wanna guess how many units this is going to sell in the first week. I think I have heard 5 million, but could it be more? Everyone I know with a PS3 or 360 is getting this game next week.

Take how many units halo 3 sold the first week and multiply it by 1.5 to 2 times the amount.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Eric WK said:
I think he's just better written and developed. They didn't exactly set the bar that high. Claude was a mute and CJ was a tool (never played Vice City).

The Chef

Eric WK said:

I just dont think that any other GTA character had this much depth to them. Just after watching the Niko video there is so much more "mass" to him and his story than Claude, Tommy or CJ.
So exciting.

SapientWolf said:
I think he's just better written and developed. They didn't exactly set the bar that high. Claude was a mute and CJ was a tool (never played Vice City).

Exactly

Onemic

Himuro said:
GTASA confirmed his name is Claude. Thing is, GTA2's character is called Claude so they're supposedly the same people. Fans called him Claude before he got an official name, that or Fido, because of his resemblance to GTA2's main character.

I remeber playing GTA2 a while back.....I thought that game was set slightly into the future? Or at least from the art style R* made it seem that way.

Eric WK

SapientWolf said:

I think that's true too, but even if they had created Niko for a last-gen GTA, I don't think the hardware would have allowed us to connect with him as much as the PS3 and 360 will.

Eric WK said:

I agree, but Tommy was just so damn likable in Vice City. Ray Liotta voiced him so wonderfully that I thought it would be very tough to out do his character. To me CJ didn't even come close to Tommy in the character department. The voice acting for Niko seems top freaking notch in all to the trailers.

A friend of mine is divorced and has two kids in shared custody with his ex. The ex-wife just told him that the kids want GTAIV and she is getting it for them. My friend fought with her and lost. The kids are seven and nine years old.

Bad parents like this really piss me off, they add fuel to the fire.

SapientWolf said:

You missed out. Tommy's character was awesome in Vice City. To me he is the measuring stick for Niko. I am pretty sure with all of the new technology and R*'s devotion to making a great story on par with Hollywood will put him over the top. Character development was a top priority this time around according to the Houser's.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
kylej said:
this makes me happy

So take-two's lawyers didn't get him, so microsoft indirectly got to him or should i say karma.

What is with all the CJ hate? I thought he was a pretty interesting character in San Andreas.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
A friend of mine is divorced and has two kids in shared custody with his ex. The ex-wife just told him that the kids want GTAIV and she is getting it for them. My friend fought with her and lost. The kids are seven and nine years old.

Wow, that is fucking crazy.

Eric WK

neojubei said:
So take-two's lawyers didn't get him, so microsoft indirectly got to him or should i say karma.

No, whoever said that was either joking or lying. He actually was contacted by Take Two.

EDIT: Both happened, apparently. The really great feed from swiftor was stopped by Take Two, while another feed was ended because the guy's 360 ringed.

Xemu

I hope you enjoyed your little rebellion, irritant. But remember, what SHODAN gives she is more than able to take away.
Anyone think we'll get one last official website update before launch? There are sure still a lot of blank radio station spots on the Music page.... Also that Niko trailer sure looks like it will be slotted into the official website later.

Wow, that Niko character trailer is great though. So atmospheric. Too bad all the "mini-trailers" from the website aren't downloadable via XBL.

Cheeto

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Shame. :-/

Xdrive05

beermonkey@tehbias said:

And it's people like her who see Jack Thompson's ilk on the news and then want the government to ban or regulate these kind of games.

Shitty parents are shitty.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
beermonkey@tehbias said:

I was watching Bloodsport when I was 5 and playing Mortal Kombat when I was 7. I still have the blood code memorized (DULLARD). I watched uncensored war footage on the news when I was 12 (how the hell did CNN get away with that?). And now I'm a college graduate with a well paying job, a girlfriend, and a squeaky clean police record. Now that sounds boring as hell, but thanks to all that violent media I'm also a psychopath, which is pretty awesome. So everything turned out awesome.

Xemu

I hope you enjoyed your little rebellion, irritant. But remember, what SHODAN gives she is more than able to take away.
Also, coverage of the fansite pre-launch event:

http://www.gta4.net/fan-site-event/

their impressions of the game (not very spoilery, but just in case):

Seeing as we don't want to give away too much about the game – it really is an experience that should be experienced first-hand, and not through text or some shoddy video clip – we've chosen to simply outline some of our impressions of the game:

The controls take a few hours to get used to, but we certainly encountered no major issues.
The first two or three missions are relatively easy, so these missions can be used to familiarize yourself with the controls.
One of the main differences in GTA IV compared to previous GTAs is the car handling. It's less sensitive than we're used to, and far more realistic. (Turning corners is tough.)
Euphoria is amazing, allowing you to do all sorts of crazy things.
Cars are much more resilient now. It takes a while to get them to catch fire, and takes then even longer to blow up.
The screenshots we've seen are accurate; explosions are insanely intense.
Everything is more realistic; things that you never noticed in previous GTA's will now be apparent.
The city looks good during the day, but even better at night.
Bob Ross may have inspired the art direction (hah)! Certain visuals mimic his work, although the "Bob Ross Filter" isn't as apparent on the PS3 version.
Multiplayer also brought on it's fair share of crazy incidences – buses have a use now, by the way – and nothing says "mayhem" like racing sixteen ice cream vans.

t_4397.jpg

I have a chance to get GTAIV early today but I'm stressing over which version to plunk down 60 dollars for. Any suggestions? This is the problem with getting the game early, first impressions on each version are kind of out the window. AHHHHHHHHH! I'm trying to get a sense from all the previews but they're not really helping. Does anyone know if the PS3 version has their version of 'achievements' like Burnout Paradise and DMC 4 did?

MMaRsu

But I heard you could turn that filter off right? I mean who wants to play it with that shit on anyway it looked like balls...

CartridgeBlower said:
I have a chance to get GTAIV early today but I'm stressing over which version to plunk down 60 dollars for. Any suggestions? This is the problem with getting the game early, first impressions on each version are kind of out the window. AHHHHHHHHH! I'm trying to get a sense from all the previews but they're not really helping. Guess I'm going into this one dark.

Get the version most of your friends are going to play.

CartridgeBlower said:
I have a chance to get GTAIV early today but I'm stressing over which version to plunk down 60 dollars for. Any suggestions? This is the problem with getting the game early, first impressions on each version are kind of out the window.
you aren't going to get detailed comparisons until a few days, just buy one. What we're hearing is the 360 loading is no where near as bad as we thought at first (its normal) and tis got the DLC. The ps3 IGN comments seem to be true from impressions: warmer palette, less aliasing. Neither seem to have real frame rate issues so just so for it.

Spy

I called my local mom and pops store yesterday and the guy told me they didn't have GTAIV in yet but when it comes in they'll start selling it. I hope he's right. I'll call after work today.

I hope they sell some more of that swag on the Rockstar website. I already have the Liberty City Swingers shirt, but they've sold out of the hats. I'd love to get some of those funny stickers, though.

jaaz

beermonkey@tehbias said:

He should document the encounter as best as he could. If he ever wishes to modify the terms of the custody sharing agreement, the wife's actions surely would come in handy. :D

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
beermonkey@tehbias said:

Can he call Friend of the Court and report her ass?

EDIT: Sorry, a quick Google search shows that Friend of the Court may just be a Michigan-based organization. As best I understand it, it's basically an agency that "brokers" support/visitation rights in a split up. I had just assumed that it was more widespread.

Spy said:
I called my local mom and pops store yesterday and the guy told me they didn't have GTAIV in yet but when it comes in they'll start selling it. I hope he's right. I'll call after work today.

My normally reliable mom&pop retailer said they wouldn't be getting the game until monday evening. Really bummed me out. However, they didn't come through for Halo 3 either, and in that case I called every indy store in the area, eventually found one selling it early. I'm fighting the urge of going through that again.

NYC Gaffers: who's got leads for date-breakers in the city? I've got a couple places, one of which says they're getting the 360 (grr!) version tomorrow (only for folks who preordered) and a couple other long shots.

I'm happy to share my leads via PM to anyone interested- can anyone toss me any leads? I'm going fucking insane. It's at the point where I'm barely functional at work.

Top Bottom