• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Alex P

notjackbauer said:
NYC Gaffers: who's got leads for date-breakers in the city? I've got a couple places, one of which says they're getting the 360 (grr!) version tomorrow (only for folks who preordered) and a couple other long shots.

I'm happy to share my leads via PM to anyone interested- can anyone toss me any leads? I'm going fucking insane. It's at the point where I'm barely functional at work.

I'm coming in in a few hours just to scout out stores that may have broken the release date.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
beermonkey@tehbias said:
A friend of mine is divorced and has two kids in shared custody with his ex. The ex-wife just told him that the kids want GTAIV and she is getting it for them. My friend fought with her and lost. The kids are seven and nine years old.

Bad parents like this really piss me off, they add fuel to the fire.

Is she doing this to spite him? That is pretty irresponsible and disturbing.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Felix Lighter said:
Sounds more like a little "buying the children's love" and a little "making dad look bad" and just a touch of spite.
Buying kids love and doing things to look bad are just as bad as spite. I could never let my child play a game like GTAIV, no matter what the circumstances especially since some of the death animations and sounds people make are Scorsese-esque (which is wonderful to this 35-year-old gamer :D )

jmoe316

I haven't read anything about how GTA Multiplayer setup works. Is it done from the cell phone in the middle of a single player game like speculated? Do you have to exit out and do it from a main menu?

Any details on this?

DenogginizerOS said:
Buying kids love and doing things to look bad are just as bad as spite. I could never let my child play a game like GTAIV, no matter what the circumstances especially since some of the death animations and sounds people make are Scorsese-esque (which is wonderful to this 35-year-old gamer :D )

Oh yeah. If ever there was a game that should never be played by kids, it's this one.

Eric WK

jmoe316 said:
I haven't read anything about how GTA Multiplayer setup works. Is it done from the cell phone in the middle of a single player game like speculated? Do you have to exit out and do it from a main menu?

Any details on this?

It's all through the phone. There is no main menu at all.

Tokubetsu

The Niko trailer is amazing. I really think he's going to end up being my favorate GTA protagonist. I love how R* is making him out to be an anti-hero and not just a straight up criminal like the others before him.

Artadius

I always hear about people saying they got their game at a mom and pop place that broke the street date. What is an example of a place like this? The only places around here that sell video games are the usual suspects like Best Buy, Gamestop, WalMart, etc..

Anybody from Northeastern PA who knows of a place?... Anyone?...

I know the chances are astronomical but PM me if it happens please. I'm sure there are at least a couple Gaffers in my vicinity.

dedhead54

The Niko trailer is probably my favorite so far. It really sets the mood for the game, IMO. I can see why they would save it for last, too. I love how there's so much more depth and backstory to Niko than the protagonists of the past.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay, I'm having a media black out from this game but a friend of mine called me right now. This was our conversation:

Me: Hey
Him: Hey man, I'm playing GTAIV right now!
Me: ... uh, yeah. That's cool and all but...
Him: WOW, THE EXPLOSIONS ARE AMAZING!
Me: ... I know...
Him: So you've seen gameplay footage of it on Youtube?
Me: ... not really.
Him: Haha, yeah I don't believe you but whatever.
Me: ... whatever.

*hangs up*

Drunk bastard.

CartridgeBlower said:
Damn my Los Angeles store pulled out and is now saying Monday. It seems that's the story everywhere now.

what LA shop, may i ask? any other leads? i'm talking to one that's still hoping for today. happy to share via pm

keyrat

TTG said:
Time to edit in the EGM score?

A+ A+ A

You forgot the funniest part :lol

Grand Theft Auto IV - A+, A+, A
Good: World, relationships, story
Bad: Some missions canned, control takes getting used to
PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp

dedhead54

l_43c9fc954b21853d4610ff032baa41f7.jpg

l_968dfe687933c3816a20b49c22275939.jpg

l_d0166c799a7efc8544c98411b5a888c4.jpg

I WANT. NOW.

jmoe316

1 Month Gold trial?

Is that the create a new gamertag trick or is there a code that will add a month of Live to a current GT?

Xemu

I hope you enjoyed your little rebellion, irritant. But remember, what SHODAN gives she is more than able to take away.
The wait between now and Monday night is going to be FOREVER!!!

My continued attempts to bribe Gamestop employees have been unsuccessful. There are no Mom & Pop game store in the Dallas area that I'm aware of...

jmoe316 said:
1 Month Gold trial?

Is that the create a new gamertag trick or is there a code that will add a month of Live to a current GT?

The 48 hour Live Gold trials you get with some 360 games can be applied to your existing account (if you've already got Gold, your subscription is extended by 48 hours). I'd imagine the 1 month works in the same way, hopefully we get that over here too.

Is there anyway that the host can limit the amount of access to the map?

I want to play a bit of multiplayer early, but I don't want a heavy access to areas that I wouldn't be able to go otherwise in the campaign until a certain point. Kind of a spoiler.

If there isn't anyway to avoid it, then I'll probably wait to play multiplayer until I unlock the entire map.

Tek

GodfatherX said:
any KY gaffers get this yet?

Nope, Louisville, Ky here...sadly waiting for the Gamestop on Outer Loop's Midnight Release.

If I could only just sleep through this entire weekend.

Cipher

Dark FaZe said:
Is there anyway that the host can limit the amount of access to the map?

I want to play a bit of multiplayer early, but I don't want a heavy access to areas that I wouldn't be able to go otherwise in the campaign until a certain point. Kind of a spoiler.

If there isn't anyway to avoid it, then I'll probably wait to play multiplayer until I unlock the entire map.

I'm pretty sure the host can do that.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
my PS3 copy has been shipped apparently, hopefully gets here for launch day!

any Europeans want to play, add your name to the European GTA PS3 thread, gaf games are always more fun! (or were on XBL anyway)

Spy

Whaaaat? That local mom and pops store that I said may be getting it in today told me they haven't gotten it in yet but when they do it's $44.99.

???

Any pickups in NYC?

One of my locations failed me today but may have it tomorrow, and the other I've yet to hear from... but yeah, I want it today. lol

I have a little Mom and Pop store near me, but the best I could get out of them for Halo 3 was the day before release (actually only a few hours before the midnight places started selling it). I'd love to try and get it tomorrow, but I have a feeling that it would take a cash bribe that I'm not willing to spend just to get it a couple of days early.

Top Bottom