• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

newsguy

Okay guys, I'm back from my mini session. Played the 360 version, and yes it is the GOTF. Seriously guys, clear your schedules. You guys know that I've been there from day one since the hype thread just chomping at the bit for next-gen GTA. We all said the things we'd like to see, the things we hoped were fixed, and worried about framerate collectively.

I did see some pop-in, never once saw the framerate stutter. When I saw the pop in I wasn't playing at the time, and when I was playing it wasn't distracting if it was happening. The city, the textures, the lighting... gorgeous. Oh, before I forget, I kept the soundtrack a secret to myself and I'm glad I did. Every genre I heard had spectacular music. I didn't hear too much, but the songs I did hear were AAA.

For the new tech whores, before I even knew GTA was implementing it, I was dying to play a game using Euphoria. Being a Madden player, I knew that realtime physics were the future of sports animation after seeing some demos. Well, why wait for Tiburon's lazy asses, R* got in a time machine and brought the future to us. I know there are others like me who want to know everything about this new tech, and to ease your minds, it's fucking mindblowing. This isn't that PR bullshit from the past... "shoot specific body parts and they will favor it!!!" No, this shit is real. Seeing it in vids is one thing, but capping knees and ankles will never get old. Ever.

Driving physics are very different, and that's a good thing. Those of you who go in knowing that you need to calculate turns are not going to have trouble transitioning. I was smoothly turning and even drifting in my first five minutes because I went in knowing that I had to drive more realistically. Sure some cars like the Range Rover can be a bitch to drive, but I'm sure anyone will master most of the cars in a week.

We did check out the online lobby just to see what it was about. There was no one in the lobby but us, but here's what I gathered
The entire city is open and you start right next to cool shit like choppers, every kind of gun, and motorcycles. Auto aim is turned off by default, and free aim is smooth and easy to use. I could literally shoot a guy's legs from 25 yards away consistently. Yes, the graphics are noticeably dumbed down, but it's more noticeable from the chopper because you can tell that the "paint filter" is much more heavily applied. You can do everything you can do in SP, and because there were so many guns throughout the city, we stayed in this mode and just messed around.

Just from playing tonight and knowing what many of you like about the series, or even what games were your favorite in the series, I can tell you this: Prepare for greatness. I had a kool aid smile the entire time and in the relatively small time I played I knew right away, this game is special.

jet1911

Iamthegamer said:
2442049262_f3f2c345d2_o.gif

This looks like a demo. i can't believe it's real time.

Just noticed that the guy in the car is bailing out to save his life. :eek:

newsguy, you're a lucky bastard. :p

newsguy said:
Okay guys, I'm back from my mini session. Played the 360 version, and yes it is the GOTF. Seriously guys, clear your schedules. You guys know that I've been there from day one since the hype thread just chomping at the bit for next-gen GTA. We all said the things we'd like to see, the things we hoped were fixed, and worried about framerate collectively.

I did see some pop-in, never once saw the framerate stutter. When I saw the pop in I wasn't playing at the time, and when I was playing it wasn't distracting if it was happening. The city, the textures, the lighting... gorgeous. Oh, before I forget, I kept the soundtrack a secret to myself and I'm glad I did. Every genre I heard had spectacular music. I didn't hear too much, but the songs I did hear were AAA.

For the new tech whores, before I even knew GTA was implementing it, I was dying to play a game using Euphoria. Being a Madden player, I knew that realtime physics were the future of sports animation after seeing some demos. Well, why wait for Tiburon's lazy asses, R* got in a time machine and brought the future to us. I know there are others like me who want to know everything about this new tech, and to ease your minds, it's fucking mindblowing. This isn't that PR bullshit from the past... "shoot specific body parts and they will favor it!!!" No, this shit is real. Seeing it in vids is one thing, but capping knees and ankles will never get old. Ever.

Driving physics are very different, and that's a good thing. Those of you who go in knowing that you need to calculate turns are not going to have trouble transitioning. I was smoothly turning and even drifting in my first five minutes because I went in knowing that I had to drive more realistically. Sure some cars like the Range Rover can be a bitch to drive, but I'm sure anyone will master most of the cars in a week.

We did check out the online lobby just to see what it was about. There was no one in the lobby but us, but here's what I gathered
The entire city is open and you start right next to cool shit like choppers, every kind of gun, and motorcycles. Auto aim is turned off by default, and free aim is smooth and easy to use. I could literally shoot a guy's legs from 25 yards away consistently. Yes, the graphics are noticeably dumbed down, but it's more noticeable from the chopper because you can tell that the "paint filter" is much more heavily applied. You can do everything you can do in SP, and because there were so many guns throughout the city, we stayed in this mode and just messed around.

Just from playing tonight and knowing what many of you like about the series, or even what games were your favorite in the series, I can tell you this: Prepare for greatness. I had a kool aid smile the entire time and in the relatively small time I played I knew right away, this game is special.
:O Lucky.

newsguy said:

Its hard to dump more hype on my giant pile of hype but you are getting there. Saw a tiny b of Euphoria in action and OMG was I stunned. I can only imagine what a playthrough will be like.

newsguy

BobFromPikeCreek said:
:O Lucky.

It's not my game, so after tonight I'm back to wait mode again. Just know that every cool thing I saw I thought about all of you guys in these threads. Since I've been on GAF I've never been a part of a thread for so long, so I've gotten to know people here and it's cool to know they share my hype for this game. All I could think in the back of my mind was "these guys are going to love this."

bridegur said:
I'm not sure if anyone has answered this, but does the game have a cinematic camera option like the previous GTAs?
I was told by leak watchers that YES it is.

Edit: ok, I cleared somthing up. My buddy just told me -non story spoiler-
That the 'cop view' he told me about is PART of the cinematic angle this time. Along with the side view, and chopper view, the camera sometimes cuts to the cops on dash camera while they are chasing you. Its supposed to look just like you are on COPS lol WIN!

Narcosis

bridegur said:
I'm not sure if anyone has answered this, but does the game have a cinematic camera option like the previous GTAs?

Yeah, it does. One of the leaked vids from the other day showed a guy toggling it on and off excessively while going on and off a freeway.

Teknoman

newsguy said:
It's not my game, so after tonight I'm back to wait mode again. Just know that every cool thing I saw I thought about all of you guys in these threads. Since I've been on GAF I've never been a part of a thread for so long, so I've gotten to know people here and it's cool to know they share my hype for this game. All I could think in the back of my mind was "these guys are going to love this."

You must tell me, was there an option to make a clan or anything? Just curious.

newsguy

Teknoman said:
You must tell me, was there an option to make a clan or anything? Just curious.

Sorry, I didn't notice if it had it. The cell phone had so many damn modes that my buddy had to scroll through it just to get to the lobby area.

newsguy said:
I both envy you and pity you. I envy you because you got to play GTAIV, but I pity you because you have to spend the next few days waiting AFTER having a taste, while I remain blissfully ignorant (but still mega hyped).

kitch9

Banned
newsguy said:

I played it for an hour last night...... The drunk driving bit is the funniest thing I've ever seen in a video game.

Blablurn

i'm currently listening to the IGN Review Cast and the game sounds soooo awesome >_<. IGN must correct their list. 2008 is going to be the best gaming year ever! so many highlights, damn!

newsguy

Rhindle said:
Whoa, GOTF!

What is a GOTF?

Game of the forever. Of course I say this to the GTA enthusiasts. Meaning, if the GTA series is at the top of your list, this game will kick you square in the teeth and you'll want more.

ascully

FiRez said:
Is there going to be support for 2 player co-op like San Andreas?

One of the written previews said there is coop on select missions has anyone heard anything more about that from the leaks?

FiRez

ascully said:
One of the written previews said there is coop on select missions has anyone heard anything more about that from the leaks?

if I remeber well in SA you can do co-op even on free-roam mode, I hope we could get that at least

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Alright I'm awake! What happened in the last 6 hours? I went to bed right after the IGN review!

allreal

newsguy said:

nice impressions.

MMaRsu

Himuro said:
This is the SE soundtrack listing apparently:

That is one amazing soundtrack listing. God this soundtrack is gonna be awesome. It hits it all across the board, every genre.

My one disappointment so far is that apparently the hip hop station is full of shitty mainstream hip hop I get angry at when I listen to it on REAL radio. Souljah Boy? Akon? In GTA? Argh. Crank Dat Souljah Boy is a good club song, but I thought this soundtrack was supposed to be a comparison to "New York life and fit in the game world".

I can just hope that the hip hop station has more than that shit on there but thankfully there's 1 electronic station, 1 old school hip hop station, 2 reggae stations, 1 funk/soul station, 1 disco station, and 2 jazz stations so I have little to complain about. Roll my eyes at the rock station! There's certainly enough variety to keep the lack of a solid hip hop station irrelevant.

I really hope this game gives more awareness to afrobeat. More people need to know who Fela Kuti is. I look forward to that station solely to finding out about artists I don't know about. :lol

Yup there are a couple of good hiphop songs in it, but what the fuck why not put in some real NYC rappers?

Just like you said, Eminem Soulja Boy and Akon ?? Wtf R*

*barf*

mileS

Yoboman said:
Does the PS3 version have achievements?

I don't think we've got confirmation yet but I'm pretty sure I heard someone say its the same as the 360's just with a different name.

Jtrizzy

I can't believe this is coming out so soon. I'm getting this Monday at midnight, my guess is I'll be playing till 6 or 7 am.

Cdammen

FUCK! I scroll and have to close my eyes whenever a GIF pops up on a thread page... the wait is killing me but I don't want to get spoiled :(

you guys need to back off the hip hop station, they got DJ Green Lantern to do the entire station, trust me they know whats up.

And that Akon song, is an EXCLUSIVE GTA4 song with fat joe and fabulous. The station will be awsome.

kitch9

Banned
My mate owns a game store n I've just played it for 2 hours this morning there.

Jesus, its awesome. The drunk driving scene is the funniest thing I've ever seen in a game.

I walked past a dude who was facing a wall and he said "Do you mind? I taking a piss!

The gunplay is fun now, capping a dude in the back of his head whilst he's running away and watching him collapse face first will never get old.

The six axis controls are actually very usable too, flying a chopper is challenging but rewarding at the same time. (Do sixaxis tutorial in phone menu to get to try one.)

I wish he'd let me take a copy home but I've gotta wait till Tuesday like everybody else. Rockstar have everybody locked down proper.

jakncoke

Banned
I'm happy that I now know that I will have a copy on day 1 as I preordered a copy. about 3:45 pm the killing rampage will commence

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Cdammen said:
FUCK! I scroll and have to close my eyes whenever a GIF pops up on a thread page... the wait is killing me but I don't want to get spoiled :(
Same... it's getting annoying :(

3 days!

dejay

Banned
Only 51 hours and 45 minutes left for me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be the only 36 year old man at the midnight launch and the end of financial quarter crunch is going to be hell for me at work on Tuesday and Wednesday with minimum sleep, but it's GTA; one of the few remaining gaming series I still get hyped for.

dedhead54 said:
Okay. Well, look at the IGN review thread. Are people being polite? Is it a friendly debate?

No. Not at all. I agree controllers, graphical issues, etc. are valid input and criticism, but apparently people can't discuss these things reasonably without all hell breaking loose. The other thread went to shit.

Point taken but I feel I can mention such things in this thread because most of that sale-age stuff isn't here or it gets ignored as more awesome comes forth.

Top Bottom