• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused. Is G Gundam on there twice, in two different tiers?

I don't see it. The two with the large "G"s are Mobile Suit Gundam in Legendary, and G-Gundam in medicore. Not sure what else you could be confusing.

edit: I really wish Turn A was localized before Bandai went out. I think they are all dead as of last week, though obviously they were mostly dead for months now.

It's not. G is in the middle tier. You're probably mistaking First's logo.

As for Bright... Well, a lot of him not taking crap is actually a sign of his own immaturity. His famous Brightlslaps are basically him panicking. Besides, it wasn't even Bright that convinced Amuro to go out. It was Fraw chiding him.

I don't see it. The two with the large "G"s are Mobile Suit Gundam in Legendary, and G-Gundam in medicore. Not sure what else you could be confusing.

edit: I really wish Turn A was localized before Bandai went out. I think they are all dead as of last week, though obviously they were mostly dead for months now.

Bandai dead? Who's doing the work for Unicorn then? I'm confused.

Bandai Entertainment then. I figured the context was sufficient in my previous post.

Right, right.

Although for localization, I don't know how much I could take of the exact same actors playing lead roles every time.

Comes with territory if you intend to stick with the dubs lol. One of the reasons that I'm a sub man. Yes, call me a Japanophile weaboo, I don't care lol.

Nothing beats Shuuichi Ikeda's performance as Char Aznable for example. When I hear that distinctive voice, I know shit's going down lol. That's why hearing Chairman Dullindal in Destiny speak with Char's voice was quite off putting at first lol.

That's one of the things that bothers me about English dubs too. You have Brad Swaille as three leads. Steve Staley is all over the place too.

I think his Setsuna was suitably different, but I thought Amuro and Quatre sounded exactly the same. Don't know about his Seed and Seed Destiny characters.

I still find it hilarious watching episodes of Wing where he voices multiple characters in the same episode and they all sound the same.

Anyways, I prefer dubs, don't mind subs. Will rewatch with subs later on, although probably the movie versions. I could NOT do G-Gundam with dub.

I could NOT do G-Gundam with dub.

Brrrrr.....

How could you possibly ruin that superb over the top voice acting with the English dubs for G Gundam. The Japanese VAs were definitely vastly superior to the English dubs and fit the tone of the series (Dragonball Z with Mechas) much better then their English counterparts ever could.

Especially evident when they're calling out their attack techniques (Shining Finger etc.)

Brrrrr.....

How could you possibly ruin that superb over the top voice acting with the English dubs for G Gundam. The Japanese VAs were definitely vastly superior to the English dubs and fit the tone of the series (Dragonball Z with Mechas) much better then their English counterparts ever could.

Especially evident when they're calling out their attack techniques (Shining Finger etc.)

I think you misread me. I watched G-Gundam with subtitles. The dubs were terrible. The original voice acting was awesome.

I actually LIKE the English dub of MSG a lot. A few voices for one-line characters were odd, but for the most part it was VERY solid. I like it just as much as the the Japanese, which is saying something because the Japanese cast is legendary. I love Michael Kopsa Char just as much as I love Shuichi Ikeda. Don't care for the other dubs much though. I guess Unicorn's isn't bad though.

Oh, sorry about that, and I agree with your statement actually. I was just wondering how someone could even consider going for the English dubs when watching G Gundam.

There is ... something to be said for this

I actually LIKE the English dub of MSG a lot. A few voices for one-line characters were odd, but for the most part it was VERY solid. I like it just as much as the the Japanese, which is saying something because the Japanese cast is legendary. I love Michael Kopsa Char just as much as I love Shuichi Ikeda. Don't care for the other dubs much though. I guess Unicorn's isn't bad though.

I thought it was pretty well done. I didn't care for Bright, but I can't remember anybody else I didn't like that played a major role.

I guess Zeta was just localized first and that is why the cast differs? Or did they send it to another studio due to scheduling issues?

PhiLonius

Katz hatred is so overblown. People act like he's a terrible character. He does dumb stuff from time to time. But his entire point as a character was to show how much Kamille has grown. Besides, he's a White Base kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ogJDVcmBCM

Would be pretty hard for me to rank everything, but Unicorn, Zeta, and Turn A would make up the top with AGE at the very bottom and V or Destiny not too far behind.

I don't know. Fa seems god damned terrible from my POV. She only gets to pilot if she wins a foot race to the Methuss, and all she does is fail. Again, only partly through Zeta, but if the condescending way the Gundam wiki treats her character is any indications, there isn't much upside.

I don't know. Fa seems god damned terrible from my POV. She only gets to pilot if she wins a foot race to the Methuss, and all she does is fail. Again, only partly through Zeta, but if the condescending way the Gundam wiki treats her character is any indications, there isn't much upside.

There is a huge upside. I believe Megalosaro (I think?) said it best a few pages ago:-

(Huge Fa/Zeta based spoiler)

She is
the only M.S. pilot from the Argama in Zeta who survives and doesn't go MIA and doesn't get maimed in any way, shape or form after the final battle. Even the all mighty Kamille goes into a deep comatose state at the end.

Nothing beats Shuuichi Ikeda's performance as Char Aznable for example. When I hear that distinctive voice, I know shit's going down lol. That's why hearing Chairman Dullindal in Destiny speak with Char's voice was quite off putting at first lol.
Michael Kopsa did a really good job as Char in MSG and CCA, I felt. I'm really sad he wasn't brought back for Unicorn. :(

You are in Luck! Apparently The Origin is next. Not sure if we will ever get it, they will go the Unicorn route and release really expensive blu rays with English subs, or if we will have to get fan translations, though.

As for your rankings. I liked MSG better than 08th MS Team and what I have seen (about 65%) of Zeta thus far. I liked 00 pretty well, especially season 1. G Gundam was awesome after I learned to just enjoy the ride. And I liked Wing well enough, but it felt a bit clumsy in storytelling, especially around the middle. I don't want to actually rank them, though, as I can't even agree with myself.

I honestly haven't watched g gundam, wing or 08th ms team in like 10 years. I remember liking MS because of the realism it had. I'll probably rewatch them sometime soon after I finish watching UC stuff. That's great with the gundam origin stuff, I'm going to look more into that.

Katz hatred is so overblown. People act like he's a terrible character. He does dumb stuff from time to time. But his entire point as a character was to show how much Kamille has grown. Besides, he's a White Base kid.

He's my ranking of the franchise in picture form.

http://i.imgur.com/ggmUDrm.jpg

My problem with katz is he was way too naive/obssessed with Serah. I did draw that comparison though, that he was like kamille when he first stole the gundam. He was pretty warped by being a war orphan, similar to
Reccoa (lol).
Seed seems to be pretty divsive among gundam fans, I'll give Turn A a try, I hear a lot of good things about it.

Yeah.. he kinda got mellower with age. I reckon he was at his fist-throwing, professional best in Zeta; he was pretty physical with Kamille lol, even more so than with Amuro, giving him a shitton of corrections. Unlike Amuro, Kamille stood up to his "corrections" (love that translation), and gave back as good as he got lol. Kamille really didn't take shit from any of his superior officers lol, even Mr Wong, one of the AEUG's benefactors.

As for the UC series (imo):-

Zeta
Char's Counterattack
Unicorn
MSG
Ms 08th Team
Victory
ZZ
F91

I'm not gonna bother with the A.Us as it's pretty much a wash for me. G Gundam is waayyy up there for me, together with the 1st SEED.

Oh god that Mr. Wong beat down was so damn harsh. I'm surprised it was in the show, that wouldn't have flown over here.

Also I was super disappointed bright, Amuro and char didn't keep their English VA from MSG, that totally made their characters for me.

There is a huge upside. I believe Megalosaro (I think?) said it best a few pages ago:-

(Huge Fa/Zeta based spoiler)

She is
the only M.S. pilot from the Argama in Zeta who survives and doesn't go MIA and doesn't get maimed in any way, shape or form after the final battle. Even the all mighty Kamille goes into a deep comatose state at the end.

I think that is something I accidentally spoiled for myself, but I'm ignoring it and hoping I'll forget/don't know the exact context of it yet. Anyways, that feeds into my statement about the condescending nature the wiki treats her with.

Tookay

Michael Kopsa did a really good job as Char in MSG and CCA, I felt. I'm really sad he wasn't brought back for Unicorn. :(

Yeah, he did a great job.

Ever since I found out he wasn't doing Unicorn, I switched to the sub. Shuuichi Ikeda is legendary in his own right.

And if we're ranking things...

UC: Unicorn > Char's Counterattack > 08th MS Team > MSG > Zeta > 0083
AU: Endless Waltz > Wing > G Gundam > SEED > Destiny > 00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOAXhokrt8

I don't know man, Amuro sounds pretty silly. Char is great though, as most seem to agree.

I will have to take the contrary position. My Evidence: Gun-Damn.

The Japanese vocals can't adequately capture the requisite character accents. Who is Char? Do you mean Shah? He is a Cowboy (think space bounty hunter) who wears a mask to conceal his true identity, as people might want him out of the picture if they knew who he was.

That's from the movie trilogy, which had separate VAs then the TV show. Movie trilogy dub is bad. TV series dub is great (at least in my opinion)

I'm not a big fan of Steve Blum as Char (or rather, Shaa )

Here is a sample of the english TV series

Crap, just realized I forgot to post my example.

http://youtu.be/Lc8CABzy6Jg

It's the scene where Amuro and Char duel for the first time. Brad Swaile and Michael Kopsa are both godly in CCA. Shame they decided to dub Zeta during a voice acting strike.

Pardon the ugly water mark. I had to find a free to use video editor that supported MKV

Edit: Nevermind. Bandai instantly blocked it.

Here is a clip from Char's Counterattack. It's kind of spoilery though.

http://youtu.be/Mn0KBNsyCJg

Read chp 1 of Gundam Origin... why does it feel like its starting like Age or Seed with a colony seemingly like itll be destroyed. Fraw bow is really annoying but Amuro seems to have huge potential, alright design though not on Setsuna F Seiei, Duo/Heero, or Asemu (Teen) tier at this point in time. And the Gundam, hope we get one with wings or something.

The style of the pages and colors are really nice.

Colony drops = First Gundam
Masked man = First Gundam
Colonies infiltrated and/or destroyed = First Gundam
Teenage boy stumbling on Gundam and becoming an ace pilot = First Gundam
Cilvilians and children being brought aboard a Federation battleship = First Gundam
Psychic abilities of pilots and people in space = First Gundam
Haro = First Gundam

If you're seeing some sort of theme or action consistently across Gundam titles, it's a safe bet that it was established in First Gundam. Maybe Zeta with the alternate identity and sunglasses.

Crap, just realized I forgot to post my example.

http://youtu.be/Lc8CABzy6Jg

It's the scene where Amuro and Char duel for the first time. Brad Swaile and Michael Kopsa are both godly in CCA. Shame they decided to dub Zeta during a voice acting strike.

Pardon the ugly water mark. I had to find a free to use video editor that supported MKV

Edit: Nevermind. Bandai instantly blocked it.

Here is a clip from Char's Counterattack. It's kind of spoilery though.

http://youtu.be/Mn0KBNsyCJg

What was your example scene? I thought MSG was pretty good. I just thought Bright was stilted in delivery.

And my example was trolling with the movie dub, as I assumed the other guy was as well.

So strike is why the actors are different in Zeta, not time or scheduling? I'm largely happy with the cast.

Also speaking of colony destruction. Fucking colony drops. There can never enough apparently. In UC or otherwise. Or gas, in the alternative.

Colony drops = First Gundam
Masked man = First Gundam
Colonies infiltrated and/or destroyed = First Gundam
Teenage boy stumbling on Gundam and becoming an ace pilot = First Gundam
Cilvilians and children being brought aboard a Federation battleship = First Gundam
Psychic abilities of pilots and people in space = First Gundam
Haro = First Gundam

If you're seeing some sort of theme or action consistently across Gundam titles, it's a safe bet that it was established in First Gundam. Maybe Zeta with the alternate identity and sunglasses.

Those young whippersnappers who haven't seen MSG 0079!!! When I was your age.....

*yells at the cloud*

Seriously though, the essence of what makes a Gundam show a Gundam show is so potent that they could just rip it off wholesale with just a few adjustments to the era, the archetypes and it'd still be great. Probably deja vu overload for the vets who've been around since 0079. Honestly, if you were a kid in '79 when the 1st Gundam came out and are stll an ardent follower of the show you'd have to be in your late 30s, early 40s by now lol.

Gundam GAF's probably not that old on average lol. Most probably picked Gundam up for the 1st time with SEED in the early 2000s and followed the exploits of 'Jesus' Yamato and 'Mary Sue' Lacus. So it's quite understandable that they'd assume Origin copied SEED. You can see the fanbase divide very clearly on GundamGAF, between those who think U.C. is the end all, be all (my crusty old self included), and the others who prefer the post U.C. series.

The U.C. fanbase had been waiting for a revival of that golden era for the longest time, and it was great that the showmakers decided to bring it with Unicorn, which is the best thing to occur in recent Gundam history for the longest time.

Blader

I thought it was pretty well done. I didn't care for Bright, but I can't remember anybody else I didn't like that played a major role.

I guess Zeta was just localized first and that is why the cast differs? Or did they send it to another studio due to scheduling issues?

Zeta was dubbed after, outsourced to another (cheaper) studio.

Those young whippersnappers who haven't seen MSG 0079!!! When I was your age.....

*yells at the cloud*

Seriously though, the essence of what makes a Gundam show a Gundam show is so potent that they could just rip it off wholesale with just a few adjustments to the era, the archetypes and it'd still be great. Probably deja vu overload for the vets who've been around since 0079. Honestly, if you were a kid in '79 when the 1st Gundam came out and are stll an ardent follower of the show you'd have to be in your late 30s, early 40s by now lol.

Gundam GAF's probably not that old on average lol. Most probably picked Gundam up for the 1st time with SEED in the early 2000s and followed the exploits of 'Jesus' Yamato and 'Mary Sue' Lacus. So it's quite understandable that they'd assume Origin copied SEED.

My first exposure to Gundam was raw videotapes of Zeta in the mid-80s that my army brat cousins brought back with them from Japan. I didn't see First Gundam and the following shows/movies/OVAs until the mid-90s when I took Japanese in high school.

I should add "Gundam stolen = Zeta Gundam."

Ezalc

Oh, sorry about that, and I agree with your statement actually. I was just wondering how someone could even consider going for the English dubs when watching G Gundam.

I saw G Gundam originally through Toonami. I thought the dub was awesome, I still like it a lot.

frye

*yells at the cloud*

Seriously though, the essence of what makes a Gundam show a Gundam show is so potent that they could just rip it off wholesale with just a few adjustments to the era, the archetypes and it'd still be great.

That's honestly kind of the problem with Gundam. It's so easy to make something *look* like Gundam that the essence of [Tomino's Universal Century] has been kind of lost. Turn A and G are really the only two that carried on that torch and we're going on 15 years removed from Turn A now.

That's honestly kind of the problem with Gundam. It's so easy to make something *look* like Gundam that the essence of [Tomino's Universal Century] has been kind of lost. Turn A and G are really the only two that carried on that torch and we're going on 15 years removed from Turn A now.

G Reko, maybe? Still don't know what exactly it is. But the concept art looked uniqued and Gundam-y at the same time.

Zapages

I got into gundam due to Wing and Endless Waltz...

Then saw the following in order:

MSG
08th MS Team
G Gundam

Zeta Gundam
Char's Counterattack

Seed - 1st half was MSG rehashed (literally, then second half was good)
Seed Destiny - 1st half was ok/good and the second half was beyond terrible.

ZZ Gundam (1/4th way through before became too busy to finish)
F91 Gundam (confused me to no end)

parts of Turn A Gundam
Currently watching Unicorn

My Ranking:

Awesome grade:
Zeta Gundam - continued on a great note and Kamille felt like a protagonist
MSG - it started it all and the story arches were fun to watch

Great
08th MS Team - fun series and showed guerrilla warfare with Gundams
0080 - good short series. - more people driven.
Char's Counter attack - good end to Amuro and Char's story

Good:
Seed - was a rehash of the original in the first half and then became good
Wing and Endless Waltz - nostalgia
Seed Destiny - 1st half - before it became terrible.
Turn A could become great if I can catch the rest of the series. Only watched about the first 6 episodes or so.
Unicorn is good so far, but the story kind jumped from episode 4 to 5 a bit... I need to go back to watch from the beginning to get a better understanding of things.
0083 - was ok filled what occurred in between Zeta and MSG and how Titans came into power...

Bad:
G Gundam (couldn't stand the whole Super Robot show, it became a bit too predictable for my liking.) :\
F91 Gundam - was hard to follow for me and it was crammed together. I know why though. Should have been a TV series.
ZZ - the second half picks up from what I heard. But from what I saw was it was pretty bad.

Terrible:
Second half of Seed Destiny

My first exposure to Gundam was Gundam Wing on Toonami, like most people. Then I watched First Gundam and thought it was pretty damn cool when it also aired on Toonami.

Didn't watch anymore Gundam unlike like last September when Star Fox 3DS came out. I noticed a bunch of similarities between the Shogun boss and the RX-78 Gundam, and that got me nostalgic so I tracked down First. I fell in love and made my way through the entire franchise watching the shows in relative production order, though I watched Unicorn before I watched the AUs and I watched Turn A and 00 before i watched the Seeds. Seed Destiny (and AGE since it was still airing) were the last shows I watched.

Tookay

Gundam GAF's probably not that old on average lol. Most probably picked Gundam up for the 1st time with SEED in the early 2000s and followed the exploits of 'Jesus' Yamato and 'Mary Sue' Lacus. So it's quite understandable that they'd assume Origin copied SEED. You can see the fanbase divide very clearly on GundamGAF, between those who think U.C. is the end all, be all (my crusty old self included), and the others who prefer the post U.C. series.

Guarantee a majority of GundamGAF got into the franchise with Wing.

Echoing the idea that most Gundam fans here probably started with Wing. In fact, most people in the West are only really familiar with Wing and G. Then you have some who know of Seed. Then modern anime fans know 00.

Finally watched my Blu-ray copy of Unicorn 6.

GOD DAMN.

SPRING 2014 GET HERE NOW. Hopefully I time my April 2014 trip to Osaka and Tokyo right and I can watch it over there.

xemumanic

Guarantee a majority of GundamGAF got into the franchise with Wing.

I know I did. I was a Macross fan, but always intended to get into Gundam sooner or later, and the US airing of Wing made me finally do it. Watched a number of older series before SEED came out, and saw it as the equal parts rehash/reimagining of First Gundam it was intended to be.

zoku88

I'm stupid.

I don't really recognize the logos well, so when I saw the large G, I just though (Oh, G-Gundam.)

For as much lamenting as we do about no more Michael Kopsa, I will say that the guy
who voices Full Frontal in Unicorn
does a pretty great job at imitating him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom