• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lMNq1f7.jpg

The Origin hardcover is GORGEOUS. Way better than I expected!

I got Origin Vol. 1 too. I hope they can publish all of them in English. Apparently this was limited to only 4000 copies?

Total print run was based on pre-orders as of about 3 mos ago. I think they wanted to do 5,000, but I'm not sure if they got that high or not. And they kind of expected every subsequent volume to have slightly lower sales. I think the print run for volume 2 was just locked last week. Not sure where that one ended up, either.

Jeez. Volume 1 looks thick as hell. I'm not sure I'm going to have room on my bookshelf for every volume

Over 2 pounds of awesome. Nice quality paper, too. I just wish Amazon wasn't shit for shipping books, so I got a few corner/spine dings.

I liked 0083 as well up until the last few episodes, and haven't really had the motivation to sit through it again b/c of that I think.

Loved all the designs with the exception of the Physalis(hate it) and Nina is up there with Quess in terms of annoyance imo, but most everything else was pretty good. And as you said it's a nice little set up for Z/ZZ.

Plus I think 0083 is the one that has that small clip of Haman where she mentions something like waiting for the right moment to come back. Watched Z before 0083 so I really liked that little moment.

Yeah, I don't know who she is yet, but I recognized her from some series artwork pictures and stuff I have seen while watching 0083. And I guess the guy with glasses, Bask also. Although he seemed to have gotten a bit fat between 0083 and 0087.

Just started Zeta, and wow, Kamille's dad is a piece of shit. Kamille and his rage/name issues are pretty awesome. Tomino must have been a Johnny Cash fan.

So, an English dobbed ZZ is a thing that actually exists, apparently. Probably not very good, based on a small clip on Youtube, but is this a thing I can own in a physical form for a reasonable price?

CorvoSol

You talk about the worst Gundam romance ever being 08th MS Team and then mention 0083 in the same post?

That shit with Kou and Nina was HIDEOUS. By far the worst Gundam romance.

Kou and Nina are so bad I don't know that it is a romance. And also I hadn't reached that point in 0083 yet.

If we're gonna pretend that Nina is in love with Kou and not the Gundam, then yeah, sure.

The three worst are definitely: Kou and Nina, Shiro and Aina, and Shinn and Stella.

I'd mention Flit Asuno, but he very clearly never loved anyone.

Just started Zeta, and wow, Kamille's dad is a piece of shit. Kamille and his rage/name issues are pretty awesome. Tomino must have been a Johnny Cash fan.

Enjoy the best entry of the UC timeline up to that point in time.

Super "happy fun time" incoming :D

Get out your death counter and/or your favourite choice of alcoholic/intoxicating beverage. For every death that occurs, chug it down and add one to the counter. You'll be totally wasted by the end of it lol.

Do normal stickers still look awful on Gunpla, even after Top coat?

It's been a while since I've built them but I don't like the stickers for the eyes. The water-slide decals are alright unless you have an issue with being able to see the edges. Or you can apply them first then apply the top coat.

Other than top coat, I've read that you can use floor wax as well.

Can somebody clarify to me what that Origin book is? I thought it was a novel describing the events prior to 0079 like how
Casval became Char and all that
Now I'm seeing that it's a manga and a retelling of 0079?

It's sitting in my shopping cart. I want it but I don't know man. Help a bastard out.

Jubern

It's a retelling of 0079 in manga form, penned by the original series character designer Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. It's really good as a simple remake, but goes further by adding new details such as Char's past.

The new US edition everyone's talking about is based on the Japanese deluxe edition (high-quality paper, every colored page from the original magazine publication is indeed colored here) and thus should be 11 volumes long (IIRC).

So the Origin anime will pretty much be 0079 again.

I'm going to ponder about getting Origin V1 some more then. Though I don't know why. I'll surely enjoy it and it'll make me clean out a shelf for just Gundam related stuff.

Romance in all Gundam has been hideous. It's about which is least bad.

You have to give Setsuna x Gundam some credit.

Mu and Ramius is least bad.

Then Frau Bow and Haro.

Ehh... My favourite Gundam Capt. of all time, Captain Bright Noa and Helmswoman Mirai Yashima actually had a great working relationship during the course of the 1st Gundam on the White Base that eventually evolved into marriage and a family behind the scenes.

It was very understated and mature. No teenage angst, pining and all that related b.s. on screen.

Too bad it didn't end well for one of his kids. His son, Hathaway, eventually got branded a terrorist during adulthood, and if I remember correctly Bright had to put him down himself. What happened to Cheimin (his daughter), I'm not so sure about.

Domon and Rain's romance was great, what you talking about.

If you mean that it had every generic anime trope ever, sure it hit all bases at least.

Ehh... My favourite Gundam Capt. of all time, Captain Bright Noa and Helmswoman Mirai Yashima actually had a great working relationship during the course of the 1st Gundam on the White Base that eventually evolved into marriage and a family behind the scenes.

It was very understated and mature. No teenage angst, pining and all that related b.s. on screen.

Too bad it didn't end well for one of his kids. His son, Hathaway, eventually got branded a terrorist during adulthood, and if I remember correctly Bright had to put him down himself. What happened to Cheimin (his daughter), I'm not so sure about.

True, and Bright later had wandering eyes obviously. A background romance that was handled in a more realistic fashion than most.

You have to give Setsuna x Gundam some credit.

My favorite to date.

I think pat of the problem is that they at afraid to do a real romance in many of the series. I guess because of the target audiences? And what they do is usually not very good because of that. And thy aren't handled that much better when the characters are older and it is an actual focus.

Hystzen

It's a retelling of 0079 in manga form, penned by the original series character designer Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. It's really good as a simple remake, but goes further by adding new details such as Char's past.

The new US edition everyone's talking about is based on the Japanese deluxe edition (high-quality paper, every colored page from the original magazine publication is indeed colored here) and thus should be 11 volumes long (IIRC).

I still think they should do a side story animation based on original story where Char becomes the hero at halfway point.

CorvoSol

Domon and Rain's romance was great, what you talking about.

True. But that's because everything about G Gundam is best.

Also, though I've already made myself look bad for stating one pair from Gundam SEED, I thought Athrun and Kagari was fine. Leaps and bounds ahead of Kira and Lacus, which was miles ahead of the godawful Kira and Flay, which somehow was still better than the unadulterated horror that was Shinn and Stella.

Of course, Kou and Nina is just hilariously bad.

Zechs and Noin was great, mostly because Zechs and Noin were two of the best characters in the show. Lady Une and Treize played out interestingly.

I really liked the Zechs/Noin relationship in Wing.

Another mature romance handled very well imo.

I find that I enjoy these more than the in your face, shoved down your throat ones.

(E.g. Ramius/Mu, Zechs/Noin, Bright/Mirai, Amuro/Chen (less so the attempted/misguided pairing of Amuro/Quess) (who is the most annoying female character to ever feature in a U.C. gundam series) and Char/Nanai)

Leaps and bounds ahead of Kira and Lacus, which was miles ahead of the godawful Kira and Flay, which somehow was still better than the unadulterated horror that was Shinn and Stella.

The Shinn/Stella pairing was supposed to capture the whimsical/schizophrenic nature of the Kamille/Murasame Four relationship.

It failed tremendously.

CorvoSol

Another mature romance handled very well imo.

I find that I enjoy these more than the in your face, shoved down your throat ones.

(E.g. Ramius/Mu, Zechs/Noin, Bright/Mirai, Amuro/Chen (less so the attempted/misguided pairing of Amuro/Quess) (who is the most annoying female character to ever feature in a U.C. gundam series) and Char/Nanai)

The Shinn/Stella pairing was supposed to capture the whimsical/schizophrenic nature of the Kamille/Murasame Four relationship.

It failed tremendously.

I agree that the more grown up ones work better. Mirai Sleigher was nice, I felt. Haven't gotten around to seeing Bright Mirai being a thing.

And Shinn Stella is just terrible. TERRIBLE.

How is a character who was in two episodes and had no personality ranked with the likes of Ramius and Noin?

How is a character from AGE ranked with anything in Gundam? Everything about that show was awful, and it remains the worst Gundam EVER.

Unless we count the pilot of the Fawn Farsia, Fram Nara, then Yurin was easily best female character in Age, and memorable, she wasnt even forgotten throughout the ages and did well to serve as inspiration for Flit. The female captain of the Diva, Natora Einus, felt a bit incompetent towards her duties and paled vastly in comparison to Sumeragi and Ramius. So Yurin is the best of the available options.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Waitaminit the ReGZ counts as a grunt? Wasn't it exclusively Amuro's MS until he got the Nu Gundam?

Goddammit, if the ReGZ counts imma gonna have to change my answer to it.

I feel like it has to, even though production of them was supposed to be minimal because they were viewed as an awful zeta gundam clone.

Seriously I think only something like 15 were made?

edit: whoops I was wrong, only one prototype was ever made.

I feel like it has to, even though production of them was supposed to be minimal because they were viewed as an awful zeta gundam clone.

Seriously I think only something like 15 were made?

edit: whoops I was wrong, only one prototype was ever made.

The ReGZ also showed up in Unicorn, so I figured it was a mass produced (at least more than just one made) unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom