• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiLonius

Even though I've seen a ton of criticism for Gundam AGE, I feel like I have to watch it. So my question is: is it worse than Seed Destiny?

Destiny has a few good moments and is entertaining at times.

AGE is just bland and boring most of the way through. Really the worst Gundam has to offer.

Averon

The last one-third of AGE is horrible. It took everyone I had to get through it. And it was all thanks to Kio, who is quite possibly the worst Gundam protag I've had the displeasure of watching. Kio even makes Kira not-so-bad in comparison if you can believe it..

Even though I've seen a ton of criticism for Gundam AGE, I feel like I have to watch it. So my question is: is it worse than Seed Destiny?

I know I'm gonna watch it soon. I really want to finish it up, I've put it off for so long after viewing the first 11 or so episodes. I suspect it'd make me appreciate Destiny for what it is.

jdl

Banned
Just finished watching Gundam Wing. Haven't seen it since it aired on CN 10ish years ago? I enjoyed it.

Some really great hilariously bad voice work in the dub. I found myself waiting for someone to say the inevitable 'It's a Gundam!' each episode.

Also, not a single black person in the entire series? What the dilly?

Considering watching Unicorn next.

Just finished watching Gundam Wing. Haven't seen it since it aired on CN 10ish years ago? I enjoyed it.

Some really great hilariously bad voice work in the dub. I found myself waiting for someone to say the inevitable 'It's a Gundam!' each episode.

Even the original MSG had a more diverse cast in that respect lol.

CorvoSol

Let me put it to you like this. I will watch and enjoy Gundam SEED Destiny twice before I ever watch Gundam AGE again.

The awful voice work is the best part.

Just finished seeing episodes 44 and 45 of G Gundam. I'm now convinced there's no such thing as a better Gundam show.

Just finished seeing episodes 44 and 45 of G Gundam. I'm now convinced there's no such thing as a better Gundam show.

All that manliness finally caught up to you lol.

A better Gundam show? Arguable. A better OP for a Gundam Show? Hell yeah. "Trust You Forever" is pretty damn good imho. Better than "Flying the Sky".

Gundam Fighto. Readdyyy... GOOO!!!!

Blader

I have no idea what an Innovade is. When are those introduced and how do they differ from Innovators? I've watched almost the entire series and have no idea what they are.

Ribbons and his gender-ambiguous crew. It's explained pretty directly in the show.

CorvoSol said:
Never, EVER has Setsuna solved a problem himself. Nor, for that matter, has Tieria. Both just pull bullshit out of their asses and watch as it works. For Tieria this means some new trick his Gundam can do, and it isn't that bad. For Setsuna it's some new power made up on the spot. Alleluia I don't even know. Lockon 1 solved at least one of his problems with his own skill, though.

err, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Setsuna stopped Ribbons by impaling him on Exia's sword. That's a pretty direct problem-solving action, free of GN particle magic.

An Innovade is what Tieria, Ribbons, Revive, et. al are, however they do not know this and assume that they are Innovators. However Tieria explains this after he merges with Veda, the quantum-computer in the Celestial Being.

Setsuna becomes an Innovator naturally, and spurs human evolution after the conflict with the aliens in the movie.

Yes, it's dumb. No, it isn't explained clearly. Yes, I liked 00.

No, it's explained pretty clearly. It doesn't get any clearer than pure exposition.

I'm so glad I watched AGE, because that sounds like the most absurd bs ever. How Aeolia Schenberg foresaw all of this I don't know. It's like Asimov's Foundation, where it starts out "Okay I can see how Hari Seldon predicted this." and then suddenly they're fusing with an entire galaxy at the behest of an ancient robot detective.

Innovades were made to help facilitate normal people's evolution into Innovators, so that they didn't freak out or anything. Ribbons hated the idea of being set up as a sacrificial lamb for people he considered inferior, so he rebelled against the plan; hence, them becoming the bad guys. Again, explained in the show.

All that manliness finally caught up to you lol.

A better Gundam show? Arguable. A better OP for a Gundam Show? Hell yeah. "Trust You Forever" is pretty damn good imho. Better than "Flying the Sky".

Gundam Fighto. Readdyyy... GOOO!!!!

No way, Flying in the Sky is one of the best.

I'm not G's biggest fan, but man that show had a cool soundtrack.

But G Gundam isn't even a real Gundam series. It's Dragon Ball Z with mechs.
Wat?

gundam-slap.jpg

Them feels. I know it.

School of the Undefeated of the East! ;__;

darthbob

Okay guys, you win. Finished Unicorn #6 the other night (it was awesome), and I want to watch something balling.

Where should I go now? I was thinking 08th MS Team. Anything else?

Okay guys, you win. Finished Unicorn #6 the other night (it was awesome), and I want to watch something balling.

Where should I go now? I was thinking 08th MS Team. Anything else?

DO IT.gif

What else haven't you seen in the UC timeline?

Wat?

MSGSlapMontage.gif

I LOLed. Best/Worst part is that I remember the exact context behind each slap. Everyone regardless of sex, position and/or rank had a piece of the slap happy action. Good times.

CorvoSol

But G Gundam isn't even a real Gundam series. It's Dragon Ball Z with mechs.

1. Dragon Ball Z wishes it was this good.
2. It's about space colonies going to war for dominion over the earth using giant super powered robots. That's as Gundam as they come.

Ribbons and his gender-ambiguous crew. It's explained pretty directly in the show.

When? I'm over halfway done with the second season and that hasn't been explained.

err, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Setsuna stopped Ribbons by impaling him on Exia's sword. That's a pretty direct problem-solving action, free of GN particle magic.
That'd be a first, then. Especially since he's only repelled all of his other enemies using special power ups from his Gundam. Note that impaling anyone doesn't count if he did it while in TransAm, like he did to Ribbons' former boss.

No, it's explained pretty clearly. It doesn't get any clearer than pure exposition.

Innovades were made to help facilitate normal people's evolution into Innovators, so that they didn't freak out or anything. Ribbons hated the idea of being set up as a sacrificial lamb for people he considered inferior, so he rebelled against the plan; hence, them becoming the bad guys. Again, explained in the show.

Again, when? I'm 45 episodes into this show and NONE of that has been brought up once. The show has called these "Innovades" Innovators for that entire time.

darthbob

DO IT.gif

What else haven't you seen in the UC timeline?

I LOLed. Best/Worst part is that I remember the exact context behind each slap. Everyone regardless of sex, position and/or rank had a piece of the slap happy action. Good times.

I started off with 00, which I realize isn't UC. Umm, I finished all the released Unicorn episodes so far, and I'm just itching for more. I've taken a gander at the Gundam Wiki, trying to find something, and while I don't mind a serial or an OVA, I'd prefer a serial, but I guess that leaves me with 0079, Z, ZZ, and Victory.

No offense to anyone, but I don't think I can appreciate 0079 or any of the older serials, and while 08th MS Team is 'kinda' old ('95), it looks good to me.

SEED has been on my radar for a while, and so has AGE, until I started reading about it.

Again, when? I'm 45 episodes into this show and NONE of that has been brought up once. The show has called these "Innovades" Innovators for that entire time.

IIRC, Innovade/Innovator dichotomy isn't explained until A Wakening of the Trailblazer, which is the movie. None of this stuff is explained in the show, and even if it's hinted at, it's about as ambiguous as Tieria's gender.

I started off with 00, which I realize isn't UC. Umm, I finished all the released Unicorn episodes so far, and I'm just itching for more. I've taken a gander at the Gundam Wiki, trying to find something, and while I don't mind a serial or an OVA, I'd prefer a serial, but I guess that leaves me with 0079, Z, ZZ, and Victory.

No offense to anyone, but I don't think I can appreciate 0079 or any of the older serials, and while 08th MS Team is 'kinda' old ('95), it looks good to me.

There is also F91 and Victory, if you want to watch some shows that take place after Unicorn.

In other Unicorn-related news.
Apparently the Xi Gundam from Hathaway's flash is going to make a cameo in UC7. At least according to this.

https://twitter.com/gundam_unicorn

I guess Victory IS in your post! Must have skimmed over that. But yeah, F91 is a movie. Opinion is divided whether it's good or not. I think its great, though it would have been better as a movie. Or at least a trilogy. Seabook is great. Cecily is great. Crossbones Vanguard has some AWESOME mechs. Sadly, the plot goes kind of unresolved.

Now this is strictly my opinion. But First - CCA is about as great as the series gets. It tries to do some things to reinvent the franchise in the 90s, but ultimately the franchise lost its cultural relevance with the 90s AUs, having its cultural influential power taken over by shows like NGE.

There really isn't much in the way of series if you aren't interested in the older stuff. Seed would probably be your best bet, and there are 100 episodes of that, so it could keep you busy for a while.

G-Gundam, Wing show their 90s age in my opinion, but they are quite as old fashioned as 0079, so maybe one of those. G-Gundam is out there, so I'd probably start with Wing if you do either.

Has anybody read the novel trilogy? I am just starting. I think I spoiled some major stuff for myself by accident already through the Gundam wiki, but oh well. Anyways, it seems like it is going to go in different directions, starting with ditching some of the conventions of shounen anime.

PhiLonius

lol, Victory was included in my post, and isn't F91 a movie anyways?

I just want a good series to watch.

Have you watched Turn A yet?

Has anybody read the novel trilogy? I am just starting. I think I spoiled some major stuff for myself by accident already through the Gundam wiki, but oh well. Anyways, it seems like it is going to go in different directions, starting with ditching some of the conventions of shounen anime.

Are you talking about the Awakening, etc... novel? Love a lot of what wasn't in the anime and hope we get that whenever Origin comes around.

Also got my copy of The Origin today from Amazon. Didn't get a chance to take it out the plastic yet but that cover is truly nice.

Are you talking about the Awakening, etc... novel? Love a lot of what wasn't in the anime and hope we get that whenever Origin comes around.

Also got my copy of The Origin today from Amazon. Didn't get a chance to take it out the plastic yet but that cover is truly nice.

I meant to mention Turn A as well, but forget.

Yes, Awakening, Escalation, Confrontation.

And I assume The Origin will probably follow the manga much more than the books, but what do I know.

To be honest, the novels aren't really compatible with The Origin, which is a fairly straight forward retelling for the first series. The novels are....quite different.

I know the foreword to the recent version mentions that some characters/back story has been adopted in other works (novels and series, I guess?). So maybe if they pulled some of that stuff that isn't necessarily incompatible it could be cool.

Yeah, that's true. A lot of the stuff like General Revil's "Zeon is Exhausted" speech is now considered canon.

Amuro knocking up Sayla, then getting killed by a random Rick Dom while he tries to communicate with White Base, but can't due to Minovsky interference
obviously isn't.

Other elements such as crewmen refering to female officers as "Waves" is also something that was carried into other things as well

darthbob

I have not. All I've seen so far is 00 + Movie, and Unicorn 1-6.

Mainly I just want something that is as militaristic as Unicorn/08th MS Team, but not too dated, I guess if that's a thing.

As for Turn A, I'd probably need to read up on it first. Currently on my watch list is CCA and 08th MS. Turn A however isn't set in the UC though, right?

PhiLonius

Mainly I just want something that is as militaristic as Unicorn/08th MS Team, but not too dated, I guess if that's a thing.

As for Turn A, I'd probably need to read up on it first. Currently on my watch list is CCA and 08th MS. Turn A however isn't set in the UC though, right?

No it's not UC.

But it's one of the best Gundam series out there so I would say give it a watch.

Turn A is set in its own universe but contains a shitton of nods and references to the previous Gundam series that could be considered as fan service if you've seen them all. Which is awesome.

I would consider CCA the absolute pinnacle of the UC timeline, at least until Unicorn came out.

A great choice but again, you won't really get the full impact of watching it unless you've seen at least the 1st MSG and/or Zeta at the very minimum. I understand that you find the older, dated visuals in those serials to be a tough pill to swallow, in which case you could just watch the MSG movie trilogy instead (which touches the visuals up, and condenses the storyline) and also the Zeta movie trilogy to catch up before pressing ahead with CCA.

I can see the MSG movies being a viable alternative to the series. But under no circumstances is the Zeta movies a substitute for Zeta. It's barely coherent.

I can see the MSG movies being an viable alternative to the series. But under no circumstances is the Zeta movies a substitute for Zeta. It's barely coherent.

Avoid the Zeta movies as a first watch. I made that mistake and it was hard to keep track.

My bad, I forgot about how disjointed it was. Was just trying to offer up a compromise to darthbob; you couldn't possibly watch CCA without getting some background from MSG and Zeta.

Darthbob, Zeta imo really improves upon MSG in all aspects (notably the visuals and animation), but is still pretty old shool hand drawn stuff. Watch it anyway, it's really good.

Zeta rocks. The mecha are all clearly influenced by other anime at the time, but they came out freakin' amazing and unique for Gundam designs.

Plus, Yazan and Hambrabi:

1251807187283.jpg

CorvoSol

There really isn't much in the way of series if you aren't interested in the older stuff. Seed would probably be your best bet, and there are 100 episodes of that, so it could keep you busy for a while.

G-Gundam, Wing show their 90s age in my opinion, but they are quite as old fashioned as 0079, so maybe one of those. G-Gundam is out there, so I'd probably start with Wing if you do either.

They definitely do, especially in the English dubs. I'd recommend watching Wing before G only because Wing is a lot more in line with "being a Gundam show" and you don't really get that G is such a thing unless you're acquainted with the stuff.

But I recommend errybody watch G, since it's the no holds barred best damn Gundam show ever made. Which isn't to say I think UC (inasmuch as we're talking MSG and Zeta) are in anyway not incredibly awesome (especially WitP), nor to diminish how much I liked certain AUs, like Wing and SEED, but everyone must be aware that not all Gundam shows are created equal, and AGE, 00, Destiny and Stardust Memory are the most awful of all.

Plus, Yazan and Hambrabi:

Such a BAMF. I really resent that they nerfed him and used him for comedic purposes in ZZ after surviving the clusterfuck that was the final battle in Zeta unscathed. His dialogue, exploits and mannerisms in Zeta were just awesome.

VIOLATE.

I've a related question about a particular ship in the UC timeline. Is the Nahel Argama featured in Unicorn the same ship Bright Noa commanded in ZZ? Just wanted to be sure lol, Bright went from White Base to Argama to Nahel Argama to the Ra Cailum (which he remained in command of even during Unicorn).

Yep. Same ship. Though technically Bright didn't a chance to actually captain it. He was supposed to, but Judau and his friends kind of hijacked it. Beecha was its captain.

Full Frontal's command ship, the Rewloola, is the same ship Char used as his flag ship during CCA BTW.

I love UC battleships. I think they're one of the more underrated aspects of the timeline.

Blader

IIRC, Innovade/Innovator dichotomy isn't explained until A Wakening of the Trailblazer, which is the movie. None of this stuff is explained in the show, and even if it's hinted at, it's about as ambiguous as Tieria's gender.

I knew about it going into the movie so it was definitely in the movie.

I can't really remember when it happened since I haven't seen 00 since, I don't know, three years ago. I'm assuming towards the end though, I think it was around when all they wound up at the moon and Tieria took back Veda.

CorvoSol said:
That'd be a first, then. Especially since he's only repelled all of his other enemies using special power ups from his Gundam. Note that impaling anyone doesn't count if he did it while in TransAm, like he did to Ribbons' former boss.

No Trans-Am involved. Don't know why would that matter though, plenty of Gundam protagonists beat the final boss through powerups (CCA and Zeta immediately come to mind).

My bad, I forgot about how disjointed it was. Was just trying to offer up a compromise to darthbob; you couldn't possibly watch CCA without getting some background from MSG and Zeta.

Darthbob, Zeta imo really improves upon MSG in all aspects (notably the visuals and animation), but is still pretty old shool hand drawn stuff. Watch it anyway, it's really good.

Totally disagree. I like Zeta just fine, but it's (mostly) pretty bad with its characters. People act over-the-top and irrational on a constant basis, and their development throughout the show is just so loopy. I think Amuro and Char are the only ones with decent arcs in Zeta.

0079, despite its age, I think is still one of the best written Gundam productions. Great, iconic cast that all act pretty sensibly (more or less) and develop pretty naturally and even subtly. Whereas Zeta's characters just scream at each other.

Totally disagree. I like Zeta just fine, but it's (mostly) pretty bad with its characters. People act over-the-top and irrational on a constant basis, and their development throughout the show is just so loopy. I think Amuro and Char are the only ones with decent arcs in Zeta.

0079, despite its age, I think is still one of the best written Gundam productions. Great, iconic cast that all act pretty sensibly (more or less) and develop pretty naturally and even subtly. Whereas Zeta's characters just scream at each other.

Which what I was referring to. When old timers talk about how unmatched Zeta is, that is exactly what they mean. Their reunion on Earth is one of the best and anticipated scenes in the whole series. Char IS Zeta and Zeta is Char.

Yep. Same ship. Though technically Bright didn't a chance to actually captain it. He was supposed to, but Judau and his friends kind of hijacked it. Beecha was its captain.

Full Frontal's command ship, the Rewloola, is the same ship Char used as his flag ship during CCA BTW.

I love UC battleships. I think they're one of the more underrated aspects of the timeline.

Hot diggity, MSG had a bunch of youngsters taking on very important roles in the White Base, but ZZ just upped the ante by having a kid as the acting captain lol. Beecha could be the youngest captain in UC history yet, even surpassing the great Bright Noa in age.

Blader

Which what I was referring to. When old timers talk about how unmatched Zeta is, that is exactly what they mean. Their reunion on Earth is one of the best and anticipated scenes in the whole series. Char IS Zeta and Zeta is Char.

No, unfortunately Kamille is Zeta. Char's just cooler.

I definitely agree that First has a better cast then Zeta. But that's not fair because First has the best cast of any anime ever. Every single character is awesome.

Even mooks like Slender or Dren.

I do like Zeta's cast for the most part though. Kamille is a pretty cool dude once he calms down. Emma is fantastic. Henken is a great captain and its a shame he doesn't get more screentime. The Titans were an interesting villain group and I loved how Jerid and Kamille's rivalry developed. Yeah certain characters development went weird, such as Reccoa's. But overall, it was a pretty decent cast.

Wong is simultaneously a bitch and a badass thus far. A bitch for the way he generally acts, especially when is on the ship, and a badass for fighting the way he did in a min mobile suit. He is a fucking loon.

Reccoa. Let's say I'm 41 episodes in and I just don't fucking get it.

0079 is better thus far in my eyes, but Still a couple days to get to the end can certainly change that.

I like Kamille. I think he is a good character, consistent motivations, and only does stupid shit occassionally. Char is pretty awesome, though.

darthbob

I knew about it going into the movie so it was definitely in the movie.

I can't really remember when it happened since I haven't seen 00 since, I don't know, three years ago. I'm assuming towards the end though, I think it was around when all they wound up at the moon and Tieria took back Veda.

Was this a typo? But from my recollection, the 'vade/'vator thing isn't properly established until the movie, and only the movie. What with Ribbons talking about being 'vators all the time, it's confusing until Tieria corrects the audience after his assimilation with Veda.

I still think this needed to be explained in the series, rather than being reconciled in the movie, mainly due to the fact that 00 as a series ends pretty well and doesn't require a movie at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom