• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Giri is a boy.

Yeah, I figured that out after finishing the volume. He starts feeling up Bernadette, and that isn't normal female villain procedure in Gundam.

DTL is secretly Hino.

That's a terrible thing to say about DTL. Hino being Toriyama in disguise I could believe, though.

Hey so Tobia Arronax is a totally awesome badass, guys. I mean, kid barely ever mopes or whines, has proven super competent (kid rigged a pirate ship with bombs when no one was looking) and is already matching Kincaido's skills in a Gundam.

This is a roundabout way of saying I'm totally digging Crossbone Gundam.

Hey so Tobia Arronax is a totally awesome badass, guys. I mean, kid barely ever mopes or whines, has proven super competent (kid rigged a pirate ship with bombs when no one was looking) and is already matching Kincaido's skills in a Gundam.

This is a roundabout way of saying I'm totally digging Crossbone Gundam.

Time for the obligatory Tobia is the best Gundam protagonist pic!

737505-RNGMTOS.jpg

And yes, Crossbone is my favorite Gundam series. Hope more Ghost gets translated soon.

CorvoSol

Haha, only the ones at work. Still have a bunch back in the states I didn't bring over. :(

I also need to rebuild my mega blok Zaku II as well. It's as big as that PG Strike.

Now I feel bad. Like my Gundam collection consists of a model of the Strike Freedom. Like, I have broken pieces of the Heavy Arms Custom, Sandrock, Altron, and Wing Zero that I played with to death as a kid. I also have an unpainted model of the ZZ Gundam from when I was young. Oh, and a small model of the Virtue Gundam that I had on my desk while I lived in Brazil.

But the only recent things are my model of the Strike Freedom and the ARX-7 Arbalest. I'll probably buy the ARX-8 Laevatein at the end of this summer for my birthday. Sorta wish I could get my hands on good models of the Zeta and ZZ, though.

Minority, there are others that liked Gundam Age even.
tumblr_mpqsp7pd061s9mwh8o1_500.jpg

Immediate family members of Hino do not count.

But the only recent things are my model of the Strike Freedom and the ARX-7 Arbalest. I'll probably buy the ARX-8 Laevatein at the end of this summer for my birthday. Sorta wish I could get my hands on good models of the Zeta and ZZ, though.

Immediate family members of Hino do not count.

I hear the HGUC ZZ is a very good kit. The HGUC Zeta is good but you have to paint the beamsaber. They just came out with a release of the Doven Wolf, if you like that MS.

Beth Cyra

I hear the HGUC ZZ is a very good kit. The HGUC Zeta is good but you have to paint the beamsaber. They just came out with a release of the Doven Wolf, if you like that MS.

HGUC ZZ is the the best version of ZZ in model kit form.

The MG is very old and it suffers from tons of problems, and even has proportion issues. The HGUC however has much better posing options and the proportions are spot on for ZZ. I really can't recommend HGUC ZZ enough.

I really have nothing to add about Zeta, never bought the HGUC and while Zeta RG is marvel for it's size, it has way to many issues for me to recommend it, plus I would say firmly it's an expert kit. The best bet for Zeta, as far as I've had is the MG 2.0.

Edit: Speaking of Gunpla, SD Hi Nu arrived today. Probably dig into him after I finish MG Turn A. I also went ahead and ordered MG Jesta, HGUC Sinanju (so now I own all versions of him, what can I say? He's beautiful) and 2 Red LED sets.

Beth Cyra

To all those dreaming of him, Sazabi Ver Ka has officially been announced. We all guessed he would be this Dec's Release, and it has come to pass.

Also of note, the November RG is in fact Strike Freedom Gundam, again it was guessed as soon as we got Destiny, but still it's a nice confirmation.

CorvoSol

My ideal is to have a collection of ZZ, Z, God, Wing Zero C, maybe the Heavyarms C, Dynames and Strike Freedom, preferably more or less all the same 1/144 scale. Takin' it slowly though 'cuz dem robot models is not cheap.

I've only built three non-UC kits. Bearguy (my sister got it for me >_>), G-Exes and Dynames.

Bearguy and G-Exes ended up being pretty cool kits, actually. That G-Exes has the best articulation I've seen in gunpla. It's almost TOO articulated.

Dynames, on the other hand is not a good kit IMHO. I really liked the design of the suit in the show, which is what caused me to spring for it, but the kit itself is just not good. The biggest problem I have is the wings. They were so cool in the show, but they are bad in model form, especially if you don't panel line.

On the other hand, it's cool how its V-fin moves up and down just like in the show.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam 6:1

I cannot believe I'm only now realizing that Zabine's name is literally Zabine Chareaux. I know that names aren't always significant, like with Sarah Zabiarov and Chara Soon, which I'm still convinced wasn't actually her name, but I mean, the dude has face-wear, is the light-haired pretty-boy-pilot of the enemy ace Gundam/MS. Zabine's even got hisself the ambition for the role.

Yo these caped Gundams are the raddest thing.
Kincaido has himself a new robot arm and is like "whatever baby, it don't mean a thing." Guy is totally chill. His new robot arm melts his captain princess pirate waifu's panties even faster.

I don't even want to imagine how flimsy the wing mechanisms will be in 1/144 form.

Maybe I have the wrong grade, but the wings on my Bandai Robot Souls SF Gundam are fine. Which I guess is the perk of not being a model I had to assemble myself.

Beth Cyra

I don't even want to imagine how flimsy the wing mechanisms will be in 1/144 form.

While it may have a few issues, the Wing dynamic of Strike Freedom is no where as intense as a fully transformable Zeta, so really I'm not to worried. If anything they will probably limit the back and forth on SF's back like they did with Destiny.

The only wing based suit I'm worried about is Wing Zero EW, all the RG's with backpacks have had horrible weight issues the moment you start messing with them, and they can't just lock up the the wings on him because it would destroy the whole point of that suit for many people.

Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam 6:1

I cannot believe I'm only now realizing that Zabine's name is literally Zabine Chareaux. I know that names aren't always significant, like with Sarah Zabiarov and Chara Soon, which I'm still convinced wasn't actually her name, but I mean, the dude has face-wear, is the light-haired pretty-boy-pilot of the enemy ace Gundam/MS. Zabine's even got hisself the ambition for the role.

Yo these caped Gundams are the raddest thing.
Kincaido has himself a new robot arm and is like "whatever baby, it don't mean a thing." Guy is totally chill. His new robot arm melts his captain princess pirate waifu's panties even faster.

Maybe I have the wrong grade, but the wings on my Bandai Robot Souls SF Gundam are fine. Which I guess is the perk of not being a model I had to assemble myself.

RD's don't really have a scale. They do try to keep things in line with each series (Wing, SEED, UC) but they don't take into account actual sizes. If you look at RD Tallgeese, dude is as big as RD Nu, and they aren't even remotely close in size.

Beth Cyra

So it'll be hit and miss on finding things roughly equal in size if I leave that line of models? Hmmm.

Even within RD"s though it's not always a sure bet they will be equal. Take Sazabi, he towers over pretty much every RD.

What you might look into is HGUC/FC/AC/AW line, God Gundam actually stands near standard size despite the fact God is a shorty like Wing, so you might very well find that when Wing releases they do the same with him.

The real question is if you want your collection to mirror their actually sizes, or if you don't really care and just want them to be roughly the same height. From the sounds of it you could stick with RD's, but no line is going to be perfect.

While it may have a few issues, the Wing dynamic of Strike Freedom is no where as intense as a fully transformable Zeta, so really I'm not to worried. If anything they will probably limit the back and forth on SF's back like they did with Destiny.

I have the RG Zeta by the way and it's horrible. It looks great but holy shit the leg stability or lack thereof is nothing to write home about.

I am excited for the RG Strike Freedom. I don't like the MG of that nor the PG (which is out of my price range anyway) so this will be exciting. I'm used to RG-s being total junk stability wise though so I'm sure the kit will suit my needs.

*off to collect .01€s off the ground to pay for shipping and customsrape.

Beth Cyra

I have the RG Zeta by the way and it's horrible. It looks great but holy shit the leg stability or lack thereof is nothing to write home about.

I am excited for the RG Strike Freedom. I don't like the MG of that nor the PG (which is out of my price range anyway) so this will be exciting. I'm used to RG-s being total junk stability wise though so I'm sure the kit will suit my needs.

*off to collect .01€s off the ground to pay for shipping and customsrape.

Agreed completely on Zeta. Honestly I hate the thing despite owning two of them.

The only RG which I would say is quality so far is the Gundam MK-II

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:-

Episode 12 DVD

"Let's Get Rid of the Guillotine"
"Girochin o Funsai seyo" (ギロチンを粉砕せよ)

The aftermath of Helen's death (We hardly knew ye, ma'am.) is briefly touched upon. Usso reacts with sadness. (his reaction wasn't actually covered in the previous episode).

This is a pretty quiet and non-violent episode actually. At least for the first half.

Highlights:-

The transport plane's on it's way towards Arti Gibraltar(A.G) (destination set in the previous episode as you may recall).

They unfortunately encounter 2 ZE YJ scouts also flying in the immediate vicinity. They take steps to throw off the YJs to prevent needlessly tipping them off and any futher conflict, with the help of the Shrike Team. Usso agrees to be bait, and lures the ZE fighter planes away in his Top Fighter, allowing the Tranport safe passage onwards to Arti Gibraltar. He does a convincing job and ZE YJs go after him instead, depleting their ammunition and letting them head back to base.

The convoy is now flying on the coast of Ireland, en route to A.G. and Usso gets his first glimpse of the Earth's ocean while setting the plane on autopilot. He lands near a junkyard and meets up an eccentric old man who happens to be the "curator" of the aforementioned junkyard.

Mean while, the others are also landing nearby and proceed to camouflage the transport plane using tree branches and greenery, utilizing the Shrike Team's M.S. to perform the manual labour.

The kids go out "scouting" and drag Shakti along with them (translation:- about to get into trouble), searching for provisions in the city. Usso gets to know the old man (Mr Robert is his name, henceforth) better (they're also on their way to the city), but he keeps on referring to him as Nichol, rather absent mindedly. Robert drops Usso off at the library in the city.

The perspective switches back to the unnamed ZE YJs (The same ones who're baited by Usso earlier on),and they comment on the fate of Fuala Griffon (whom you may recall was the Commander of the Lagarn ZE base). One of them calls out to a passerby on a motorbike, for a good time, and it turns out to be the the commander herself (LOL). They're spared the rod this time around.

i5fnTQxqXNywa.png

We move back to the kids sight-seeing in the city. They go looking for Usso, and Shakti correctly decides that they should go for the libary, which turns out to be a dilapidated build in itself with other refugees. She sends Flanders (the dog) after Usso who promptly finds him and leads the others to him

Shakti still wants to go BACK to Kasarelia. The others briefly get the urge to settle down in the ruins of this city. Suzie goes after a woman she thinks is her sister. Who turns out to be Commander Fualla (shiet). Usso and the rest catches up to her and gets to meet the sadistic commander (who you may recall ordered the televised EXECUTION of the count using the Guillotine a few episodes ago) up close and personal for the first time in their short lives.

THEY DON'T RECOGNISE HER AT ALL. THEY DON'T REALIZE THE DANGER THEY'RE IN. RUN KIDDIES, RUN!!

ifw2z7tmA6Vls.png

They strike up a rather pleasant conversation with her (lol) and it seems like she's also keen to avoid contact with certain elements of the BESPA. She enters a building which is teeming with people, and unable to contain her curiosity, Suzy follows suit.

Half time intermission.

It's a bar with tipsy and semi drunk adults. Fualla orders a beer, Suzy's treated to a chocolate parfait. She actually reveals her mil assoc. to the bartender who tells her to leave after her drink. Shakti gives Uso some bread to buy baby supplies for Karlmann.

A flashback occurs to Fualla's days in command. It seems like Pippeniden (Asher's junior in mil academy) has usurped her earlier position to display the guillotine in the city.

Back to the present, the other two boys take advantage of Usso's cash and grab a meal while they're at it. They resume the conversation with the Cmdr. She's actually putting on pretty convincing facade when not in uniform, and makes him blush.

Flashback continues with her assistant, who suggests that she rounds up all the LM members and execute them in one fell swoop. She agrees at the time, but in the present begins to question the sensibility of her own actions. Usso asks her if she's a refugee too, she responds in the negative. (a nomad)

We now move back to the Shrike Team and the Transport convoy, who're still moving the mobile suits around. Olie tells Junko to take a break, which earns him the retort of "usso's not around, didn't expect kids to be part of the LM blah blah (I tuned out)"

Usso comes back out with some milk for Karlmann (he loves it!), and all of a sudden BESPA is on the scene. With the soddin' Guillotine in tow. It's the BESPA Guillotine Group. and shiet is about to go down!

(Can't have an episode without at least ONE death, eh Tomino-san?)

iokdXVhZof3tO.png
ibt8V3bTrQ3xxE.png

ibkvWh3WbOqmAR.png

The cityfolk start panicking with news of the Guillotine being placed in the city square. Fualla actually thinks this is a bad idea, but goes on to proclaim that she can't stop it now.

The crowd gets antsy. The troops are itching to pull their triggers.

Mr Robert is actually a part of the crowd, and throws a fish at the trooper manning the device, which triggers it and cuts the its head off. Yikes.

Crowd gets rowdy. The troops start firing into the crowd but seem to hit air. Usso and Robert flee the scene, together with the other Kids. Suzy waves fondly at Fualla Griffon, who waves back.

Mr Robert decides to give Usso the leeway he needs to escape. He drops out of the hover bike, rolls, but before he could do anything useful, he gets gunned down by the ZE troopers hot on their tail. Giving him the time to shake them off.

He meets up with the others again, who agree to split up and rendezvous at the meeting point. Usso still has some unfinished business to settle. He heads back to the junk pile to retrieve his Top Fighter.

Back to Fualla, who's on her motorbike. She meets up with her subordinate again and board's the MA (the toughie from the previous episode that Uso couldn't take down thanks to Asher's shameless use of Katejina), and they discuss the current situation. (The white suit has been sighted)

Finally, we come to the reason why the episode was titled as such. Usso vows to take out the guillotine using his Top Fighter, flies towards at at great velocity and...

iZDv2cTeDSEqU.png
ibaTGPp3IJRK5k.png

Takes it out the old fashioned way. The troopers fire at the fighter ineffectually.

Usso fleds the scene and encounters 3 ZE choppers. A fight ensues. 3 VS 1. Oh geez, how will it go this time around?

Not that badly, since another Top Fighter piloted by Marbet was in the vicinity.

He also gets pretty creative with this fight by employing the beam shield to take the brunt of the enemy projectiles and uses the beam saber to strike of the arms of one of the choppers.

ibn6N42Vx7POep.png

One down. Two to go. Fualla enters the fray with the Mobile Armor and goes right for the two Fighters with the main beam cannon. They evade splendidly, until Usso gets singed. He gets pretty mad and...

ibtUkfJVbILj96.png

(Notice that the show looks tonnes better with shading)

He SLICES THE BEAM CANNON of the M.A. in HALF. Yet another giffable moment in Victory Gundam history.

ibef8mrDEAwXtP.png

Fualla is forced to retreat after this since the main engine is in danger of overheating. Reluctantly.

This is followed by an inpromptu debriefing by Oliver cut short by Marbet who congratulates Usso for being resourceful.

Turns out that Mr Robert kept on calling Usso Nichol because he had a son who looked just like him.

Not a bad episode, but mostly filler with the exception of the scenes with Fualla filling up the blanks and also gaining some much needed insight into her thought processes.

Cumulative Tomino Death Count:- 16 (A Mr Robert died this episode. +1 to the counter.)

B

CorvoSol

Even within RD"s though it's not always a sure bet they will be equal. Take Sazabi, he towers over pretty much every RD.

What you might look into is HGUC/FC/AC/AW line, God Gundam actually stands near standard size despite the fact God is a shorty like Wing, so you might very well find that when Wing releases they do the same with him.

The real question is if you want your collection to mirror their actually sizes, or if you don't really care and just want them to be roughly the same height. From the sounds of it you could stick with RD's, but no line is going to be perfect.

I want them about the same height, and not reflective of actual heights, yeah.

Beth Cyra

I want them about the same height, and not reflective of actual heights, yeah.

Then the RD line is your best bet, just be on the look out though because there is some real shorties (F91 for example) and some monsters so depending on your luck with suits you like you could actually get them to line up.

CorvoSol

Then the RD line is your best bet, just be on the look out though because there is some real shorties (F91 for example) and some monsters so depending on your luck with suits you like you could actually get them to line up.

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes on that.

Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam 6:2

Tobia fucking Arronax. This guy. THIS. GUY. Do you know how awesome Tobia is? After being told blah blah blah about Newtypes Tobia goes: "Can a Newtype walk 12 kilometers in one day? No? Then shut the fuck up because humanity rocks." Then, THEN he turns to the pirate captain and tells her he's going to protect her super awesome badass boyfriend.

AND IF THAT WASN'T ENOUGH, Tobia prays to God and asks the Big Man to sit down and relax because DAMMIT HE CAN DO THIS HIMSELF.

Tobia is SO AWESOME he asks GOD to CHILL OUT and NOT grant him NEWTYPE POWERS.

Tobia's like "Fuck your easy mode, Zeon Deikum. I want super fucking hard mode and I want it NOW."

TOBIA ARRONAX, GUYS. TOBIA. ARRONAX.

Aizo

Banned
Tobia is bragging about walking 12 kilos a day?

What a bitch. I used to do that DAILY.

That sounds very time consuming.

Edit: I guess that's not too bad. I was thinking of miles for a moment. Still, that's about twice my daily routine.

CorvoSol

Tobia is bragging about walking 12 kilos a day?

What a bitch. I used to do that DAILY.

His point was actually precisely that: that walking 12 kilos a day was something people were capable of doing all the time, but which humanity, so used to living in space colonies, wasn't at all used to doing anymore.

Moody Mondays are the worst. Perfect for an episode of Victory Gundam. No pics today.

GundamGAF's Victory Gundam Rewatch:-

Episode 13 DVD

"Gilbraltar Airspace"
"Jiburarutaru Kūiki" (ジブラルタル空域)

Summary:-

The ZE forces are hot on the trail of the LM, beating them to A.G.'s airspace.

We finally get a long awaited glimpse of Asher's masked mug again (he's not Char, that's for sure). He's in cahoots with an official (Mr Mandella) of the A.G's government, who's taking a strong stand in maintaining the neutrality of her Majesty's government. (Thus disallowing the ZE from moving their forces into the area)

Fualla lands her M.A. at the airbase anyway. Mandella tries to convince Asher (who's with Katejina, albeit unseen) to leave the area and go back to space. He leaves the room, heads down the escalator and WHO DOES HE SEE?

Usso. They exchange brief pleasantaries, and then go their separate ways.

(Quite a surprise actually. I honestly thought Asher would do something radical to him. Not his jurisdication I guess.)

Usso is then paraded to the official with Oliver. He takes a great interest in Usso, due to his connections with usso's parents. We get a nice info dump detailing the events that have previously happened in the area. Pretty informative stuff and sets even more needed context to the current storyline. Bottomline is that his parents are in SPACE. I guess he's got to see this through now.

We then shift gears and move back to the main LM convoy who're still in the air. (I guess Marbet, Oliver and Usso were doing some scouting ahead). They talk abit about legality of what they're attempting to do and some info about the mass driver.

Back to Usso. He's given two ticket to head into Space too lol. Looks like the A.G. government won't help the LM either.

Over to Fualla and Asher. Fualla's ready to intercept the "PCST diguised" convoy and subdue it with force if need be. Asher is hesitant on displaying open hostilities in this neutral territory. Until he sees the proof for himself.

The transport planes land right in front of the ZE's MS and MA lol. One can only wonder what the outcome of this will be.

Usso, Oliver, Fualla and Asher have a face to face. I'm loving this episode already.

Usso finally realises that she was the same person who sent Count Oy Nyung to his death. This is getting good, i'm grinning from ear to ear.

Even better things happen when the rest of kids enter the scene and realises who Fualla really is. (Shiet, I'm laughing my ass off right now, and we're not even 9 minutes into the episode!). Suzy is especially crushed by the revelation that the kind lady is actually commanding the Yellow Jackets.

They (Fualla and Asher) prepare to leave the area pronto. (where the hell is Katejina in all this?)

Mandella gets gun whipped and Oliver tells Usso to head back to where Marbet's at. This was a rather unsatisfactory resolution to the mini encounter, but I'll take what I can get. Usso gets manhandled into one of the Shrike Team's M.S. piloted by one Ms. Mahalia en route to his Core Fighter. Oliver gets dunked in the ocean by Marbet (heh) and they're on their way out of the area.

Halftime intermission
(That haro is getting larger and larger with each passing episode)

Usso gets a heart to heart talk with Mahalia who takes a liking to him, and reminds him of how lucky he is to still have parents. (She's an orphan). It's a rather sweet and touching moment. Kinda means something is gonna happen to her.

Usso gets into his Top Fighter and gets a short briefing by Olie who reminds him that the Mass Driver and the Rails are the no.1 Defense Priority. He goes into full Gundam mode, and prepares for battle. It's been a quite a number of episodes since we've seen this recycled transformation animation, so it's okay wih me.

Enemies incoming. The ZE forces rendezvous with Fualla's M.A. and the battle is about to commence.

It's now a matter of who blinks first. The one to start would be considered the aggressor and will lose the battle.

Fualla's 2nd in command advises her to bait the LM into firing first.

Mahalia uses her lipstick to apply 'war paint' on herself. She got baited, and the ZE has the pictorial "proof"

The battle commences. Shrike Team makes mince meat out of the ZE grunts (disabling two right away), fueled by vengeance.

And another is taken out by Mahalia.

Usso is on the warpath and goes right for Fualla's M.A. He gets a direct lock with his beam rifle, but the rail leading to the mass driver is in the way.

Cockblocked yet again. I feel for you mate.

Right after that happens, he encounters the brainy ZE Lt.(Lupe?) mook that he took down 2 episodes ago via double penetration (who escaped in an escape pod in case you forgot). She's about to get the edge on him, but he fights back with such intensity that it surprises her. Usso can't be stopped now. Slice after slice, attack after attack is thrown against the Lupe's mobile suit. And she escapes yet again, via another escape pod eject, creating some sort of record.

(2 direct encounters with Uso and she's still alive!)

(The average life expectancy for a ZE mook is usually less than 1 episode)

Right after that he heads to Marbet's aid by doing a semi Macross transformation with the Gundam still intact. Had no idea the Gundam was capable of perma flight in that hybrid mode with all the components attached.

He goes right back to look for the M.A. again. Fualla catches a glimpse of him overhead and Asher gives her the lowdown on Usso's piloting skills. Score 1 for usso again on the "I can't believe that boy is the pilot of the white mobile suit". She gets mad, reflecting that her many failures could be attributed to Usso, and orders her sub to take him down.

They both pull off some fancy moves. Usso realises that he doesn't have the same midair mobility with all the segments docked.

He enters the railway tunnel, emerges and scores a direct hit on the M.A. He detaches the boots segment, uses it for bait by launching it right into the M.A. The glass of the M.A. cockpit breaks from the nearby explosion of the boots, revealing the occupants.

Usso couldn't do it. Little bastard couldn't do it. He cockblocked himself this time around.

The audience groans inwardly. So do I. He lets them live to fight another day, probably leading to the deaths of countless other innocents in future episodes by doing so.

The music goes all melancholic again. An enemy MS pops out of no where and takes a shot; Mahalia intercepts, goes for the kill but is also taken out right after.

Yet another member of the Shrike team falls due to Usso's incompetence this time around. Sigh. He bemoans the needless loss of Mahalia. So do the others.

(At a rate of 1 member every 2 episodes it seems.)

Usso lands the Core Fighter back at the base, and rushes to get the crushed remains of Mahalia out of her MS.

He trips and falls in the process.

Then bawls like a baby.

End scene.

Fuck.

Cumulative Tomino Death Count:- 23 (Yet another member of the Shrike Team goes down (Mahalia) + 6 YJ ZE mooks KIA)

B+

Wubby

Found some clear Gundams at a used shop for cheap. I'd like to get the 2.0 RX-78 built before 3.0 comes out on the 10th but I probably won't be able to. Working on the old 1/100 HG Heavy Arms kit now so I can get this box out of the stash.

Sazabi has a stupid big ugly butt : (
That's the only thing I don't like about that and Kshatriya.

Still, it looked pretty nice in CCA.

GundamGAF Victory Gundam rewatch
Episode 13

jfOUiXZ.gif

In loving memory of Mahalia Merrill

Pretty intense episode.

We hung out at the Space-Rail Port for a while. The manager of the place was up to some shady shit I guess but he was an acquaintance of Uso's parents and he gave Uso two tickets to space. One presumably meant for Shakti.

Uso then runs into Chocolate Coctail Guillotine lady (I'm so terrible with names) and calls her out on being a savage. Tensions rise and soon fire will be opened on neutral ground.

Uso displays his ability with the Gundam some more.

And we lost a totally cute pilot.

Beth Cyra

Oh yeea-

-agh. To me, that's the synonymous with "water slide decals not included because enjoy dry rubbing the standard shit on rounded surfaces."
Nah. This hasn't happened with the last few Ver Ka's.

Both Nu and Sinanju Stien come with complete water slides. Or at least the Stien does. Haven't open Nu in a while.

Nah. This hasn't happened with the last few Ver Ka's.

Both Nu and Sinanju Stien come with complete water slides. Or at least the Stien does. Haven't open Nu in a while.

Oh? Glad I'm wrong in this case.

My first (and last) ver. Ka kit was the 1/100 Sinanju. It... was the first project that ended with me gnashing my teeth and tearing my garments before I gave up trying to apply the decals.

Beth Cyra

Oh? Glad I'm wrong in this case.

My first (and last) ver. Ka kit was the 1/100 Sinanju. It... was the first project that ended with me gnashing my teeth and tearing my garments before I gave up trying to apply the decals.
I just pulled out the last three Ver Ka's and all three of them have complete sets of water slides.

So its pretty easy to guess that Sazabi Ver Ka will have them as well.

Episode 12

These kids are just so dumb. Really, at this point I'm convinced that the three kids on the White Base are more useful, cumulatively, than these kids here - and one of the White Base kids grew up to be Katz, so that's saying something. I'm this close to saying that Shinta and Qum were better than Odelo and Co., too.

It is pretty silly that Uso wouldn't recognize Fualla from the execution of the count, but I'm going to write that off as Uso getting a contact buzz from being so close to liquor.

ZT9oUFw.gif

Look at that fish disintegrate! Nice detail, I was expecting something lazier, from either the soldier or the animators.

Jj7UyM5.gif

I wasn't expecting to see something that jerky, though. I did as much justice to the clip as I could, considering that I'm not so good with the jaffes. Something about little spasms of animation like that is always so off-putting to me, I don't know why.

I also thought that Uso's firefight in the Top Fighter was neat. The staff is hell bent on making sure that the modular concept is used, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Episode 13

Let me get this straight.
Chronicle walks around all day in a suit with his crop-top balaclava on, and no one bats an eye? Astonishing. I don't know whether it's because Chronicle is a regular customer, everyone in town is that smug about PCST's influence, or if it's just because he looks that good.

Anyway, as you can see, Uso bumps into Chronicle while traveling with Oliver for a rendezvous with some PCST hotshot, Mandella - who Chronicle had just met with before. Uso's surprisingly cordial about seeing Chronicle, all things considered; he asks a few questions about Katejina, tells Chronicle to toss, and then excuses himself. Really, all meetings between enemies on neutral ground should be this polite.

After that, Oliver and Uso meet up with Mandella, who upon seeing Uso immediately gushes about Uso's parents and how much he's grown. In a conversation like this, the awkwardness is palpable either way. At least we've gotten confirmation that Uso's parents haven't kicked the bucket recently, so all of his beat work hasn't been in vain.

Oh look, the League's Trojan Horse gambit has backfired already!

Uso finally recognizes Fualla!
Most of the significant named characters face off for the first time!
Uso bonds with Mahalia!
Death flags poppin' all up in this mug.

Even during the ensuing skirmish, almost every pilot keeps the political ramifications in mind, which leads to some interesting clashes. Uso's just as happy to use the railways as a shield as the Yellowjackets are, which is a refreshing display of ruthlessness. However, he still can't kill people while looking at them face to face, and that ends up backfiring in more ways than one.

Mahalia ends up going all Rambo on everyone, and while she's able to take down quite a few suits and ends up saving Uso, her gung-ho swagger ends up:
- Giving the Yellowjackets an excuse to start hostilities
- Getting herself killed when she ends up going for close combat, and
- Proving that the Shrike Team refuses to learn from each other's mistakes.

If this was the show's way of re-enacting the original novel of First Blood, then it would actually be pretty brilliant.

Also, I think I finally understand why the Gun-EZ's melee in Extreme VS is so terrible.

Still, Mahalia's death hit home a lot harder for Uso than whatshername, since he knew her and he was partially responsible. Poor, miserable, murderous Uso.

Goddamn, these previews are spoiler-y as hell.

Episode 12

These kids are just so dumb. Really, at this point I'm convinced that the three kids on the White Base are more useful, cumulatively, than these kids here - and one of the White Base kids grew up to be Katz, so that's saying something. I'm this close to saying that Shinta and Qum were better than Odelo and Co., too.

The hell? Odelo is a boss. Suzy is a boss. All the kids are boss.

You're making Karlman cry

The hell? Odelo is a boss. Suzy is a boss. All the kids are boss.

You're making Karlman cry

They're fucking bosses for surviving far more episodes than the average BESPA mook and LM folk, with no combat abilities in particular.

The K-mann in particular has an aura of invincibility that he bestows to whomever he chooses.

Seriously, those kids and Shakti should've been toast during that episode when Shakti got a bout of temporary insanity and decided to plant seeds in the ground.

Fucking M.S. weapon fire all around (explosions right to next them!) and not a scratch on her, the kids and K-mann.

Boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom