• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Worst Gundam villain has gotta be Zeheart tho, right? Probably the most inexplicable heel-turn I've ever seen (maybe his brain broke once he heard Ezalcant's retarded plan??) and a legendary misunderstanding of how sunk costs work followed by defeat in record time by the protagonist of the previous arc.

The Frost Brothers have been dethroned, friends.

The Exia's head is supposed to be round. That's part of what makes it look unique. The circular motif is part of the original design, and it has always looked this way. The curves are more pronounced in the RG redesign, and it looks great imo.

Not that part. English isn't my first language so it's kind of hard for me to explain but on the model the edge of every detail seems soft/round. It's supposed to look sharp and mean, something they did real well with the RG Zeta in my opinion.

vFxlNc5.jpg

Perhaps it'll look entirely fine in person where the model is actually tiny as hell and I won't notice these problems with the naked eye.

Worst Gundam villain has gotta be Zeheart tho, right? Probably the most inexplicable heel-turn I've ever seen (maybe his brain broke once he heard Ezalcant's retarded plan??) and a legendary misunderstanding of how sunk costs work followed by defeat in record time by the protagonist of the previous arc.

How can Zeheart have a heel turn when you know he's a villain from the start?

For me, the worst villain is probably Le Creuzet. Pretty lame and his "rivalry" with Kira was boring. Show would have been better if they had cut out Le Creuzet and just had it be Athran and Kira.

Seed Destiny actually had a decent villain. I actually enjoyed Durandal as a character. Shuuichi Ikeda doing his voice probably helped there though. Too bad the show was absolute garbage.

Not that part. English isn't my first language so it's kind of hard for me to explain but on the model the edge of every detail seems soft/round. It's supposed to look sharp and mean, something they did real well with the RG Zeta in my opinion.
Real world isn't line art. Not to mention that there isn't any panel lining or detailing on the model in those photos.

CorvoSol

Flit and his space Hitler stuff was the only interesting thing about AGE

On the one hand, sure, on the other hand Flit was supposed to be the show's hero, not Pedophile Space Hitler.

I mean, Zeheart was awful and his role in arc 3 makes literally no sense, but on the other hand Mr. Bushido is completely irrelevant to every single part of 00 and then there's still Chumpicle Asser in Victory Gundam, who wears a face mask because and spends most of his time doing stupid shit like talking about how awful it was that Uso saw his mom die when his own forces are the ones who nixed her.

duckroll

But other than the fact that the Zeta head is clearly designed to be a taller and sharper type of head to begin with, I don't really think the difference is that great for what the Exia head is supposed to be. A lot of that imposing sharpness in some of the close up poster visuals for Gundam 00 don't actually represent how the Exia looks in the show and in most of the lineart.

This is the actual Exia design lineart for the head:
d78dUSe.jpg

This is the RG Exia design lineart for the head:
64wWiwC.jpg

Maybe it's not the sort of design you prefer, but the emphasis on the rounded curves is intentional. It's not meant to look like a trojan helmet like the Zeta. It is a smaller, shorter, and fatter sort of head.

As for the sharpness of the edges, take a look at this comparison.

Fully Painted RG Zeta Head vs RG Zeta Head w/ Panel Lining vs RG Exia Head w/ Panel Lining:

cUmUKDw.jpg
vMjEWE4.jpg
ShXBk3e.jpg

The sharpness of the edges especially is something that is emphasized a lot more when fully painted because the light doesn't reflect off the entire piece of white plastic making it look a lot "softer" than the edges actually are. I don't really see any problems with the Exia's head at all, especially compared to the normal Zeta head. They're different designs, but they have the same quality.

If you want it to look sharper and for the individual components to stand out more, I think you could paint the V-fin with metallic silver or a lighter grey. Painting the head itself will also take away a lot of the perceived "softness" which the white plastic has.

frye

How can Zeheart have a heel turn when you know he's a villain from the start?

There was a sense that he thought what he was doing was for some greater good on some level - he's very clearly supposed to be a somewhat-sympathetic figure. When Ezalcant tells him what the Plan Actually Is (give my people space cancer for 100 years and manufacture a war to create SUPER PEOPLE [this is how evolution works right??]) it's completely insane that his reaction is to be horrified for 5 seconds before going HA HA, FUCK YEAH!! once he's told he's in charge of the operation now.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah I don't see an issue with the head at all. If you want it sharper, you could always just sand it down a bit yourself.

For as much hate as Kio gets, I felt that Flit was far, far worse. At least Kio got to call Flit out on his shit. Nobody prior to that moment had done so. If more people in AGE had done that Flit might've not been Hitler.

Better to be Space Hitler than boring as a box Kio.

CorvoSol

Better to be Space Hitler than boring as a box Kio.

I dunno if I agree. Flit was painful to watch, man. Boring I can cope with, but Flit. Flit was like if not just Cagalli, but the entire universe had bent over to tell Shinn he was right. Kio, like Kira, may not be the best ever, but at least he got to put the show's resident asshole protagonist in his place.

If Kio had killed Flit at the end it would've made AGE a much better show.

This is the actual Exia design lineart for the head:
http://i.imgur.com/d78dUSe.jpg

This is the RG Exia design lineart for the head:
http://i.imgur.com/64wWiwC.jpg

Fully Painted RG Zeta Head vs RG Zeta Head w/ Panel Lining vs RG Exia Head w/ Panel Lining:

http://i.imgur.com/cUmUKDw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vMjEWE4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ShXBk3e.jpg

Yeah this is probably just my personal gripe with the RG design itself. From the first two pictures in your post it seems like their intent was to go for a more neutral look. The fin is shorter and fatter and higher, the head seems to sit higher as well and the yellow cheek vents seem to be more flush with the inner face making them a less pronounced feature.

One thing is for certain - if I get that model I'm gonna try to make the head look like what I imagine an Exia should look like and end up creating a custom RG Exia Irreparable.

The Real Grade Exia actually looks better than the Metal Build in some pics! I have the LE MG Exia with the metal parts, the Exia SHCM Pro, and the Exia Robot Damashii and now I'm tempted to buy yet another Exia.

Thank you based Bandai!

Any one get their copies of Gundam the Origin Volume 5 yet?

I got mine today. It was a fantastic read.

Some random thoughts. This easily the volume with the most new material yet. It was interesting how they incorporated some of the stuff from the Tomino novelization into the story, such as Sasro Zabi (
and his assassination by the hands of Deikun loyalists
). I also liked how they kept in the portrayal of Jimba Ral as
a paranoid old coot who essentially brainwashed Casval

In all honesty, I really don't think the Zabis assassinated Deikun. I think he just died from overworking himself. I really do think that they certainly took the opportunity to put themselves in a place of power after his death, but it was probably not a murder.

The look at pre-war Zeon was fantastic. Yaz did a great job portraying the place as a powdered keg of activism prior to the war. Riots at the drop of a freaking hat.

If you like Ramba Ral and Hamon Crowley, you'll probably like this chapter.

Finally, the thing that stuck most with me was how Zeon Deikun's wife was treated after his death.
She essentially becomes a prisoner. The crap that old lady was spewing was way out of line and horrible to say

AGITΩ

So I'm currently working on my first Kit bash and I've gotten pretty far on the overall build. But need some advice on what putty to use in order to touch up some parts to be more compatible with each other. Anyone have any tips?

Just watched episode 24 of Build Fighters, sad to think that it'll all be over next episode, though I don't think they could take the premise much farther than they already have.

Regarding the big fight in the episode, it's funny to see fanboys arguing in other forums that this means that
"Strike is stronger than Exia."

Thinking about getting the Blu-Ray release for this, but does anyone know if the Blu Rays include English subs? Gundam Blu Ray releases are really weird regarding subs...AGE and Seed Blus had them, but a lot of other recently released series don't (Wing and 08th MS Team, for example), even though one would imagine that, since Bandai owns the rights to the subtitles when those series were first released on R1 DVD, they could just put them on there and see a few extra sales trickle in.

CorvoSol

Sure, they're just plastic models, that doesn't stop people from arguing though. ;)

No I meant they don't count because
The Star Build Strike is pretty darn different in every way possible from the Strike and the Exia Dark Matter from the Exia.

Like it's like saying that the OG Gundam is the best because the Turn A is the best. Apples and Peanut Butter.

No I meant they don't count because
The Star Build Strike is pretty darn different in every way possible from the Strike and the Exia Dark Matter from the Exia.

Like it's like saying that the OG Gundam is the best because the Turn A is the best. Apples and Peanut Butter.

Plus, they're plastic models whose 'pilots' aren't even the guys from the original series.

CorvoSol

Reiji would tool on Kira.

Kira Yamato literally bent the fabric of the universe to prevent himself from losing an argument to Athrun. Like halfway through Athrun is like "You're really fucking things up Kira!" and Kira's like "CAGALI IS CRYING AND THIS IS A LEGITIMATE RESPONSE."

Reiji could try to win but the longer a fight goes on against Kira Yamato the more reality changes in his favor.

The only reason Kira can't do a Shining Finger is because he hasn't met Domon Kasshu yet. I mean, if Allenby Beardsley could learn to do one just by watching Domon (Fuck you years of training in the School of the Undefeated of the East, I have tits) you better believe Kira Yamato is going to know how to do one the moment he lays eyes on Domon.

Hell, he might not even need to do that, since Destiny Gundam can do one.

He couldn't do a Love-Love Tenkyoken, though, because that'd require that Lacus actually loved him and didn't see him as a means to conquest.

You are missing the point though. Domon and Allenby are both trained fighters, Kira is just a wuss who refuses to kill. You think someone like that could ever master even a single technique in the school of the undefeated of the east?! Master Asia is spinning in his grave!

Seriously though, by G Gundam logic it would never work for Kira because he would just never have the proper mindset for it.

Beth Cyra

Kira Yamato literally bent the fabric of the universe to prevent himself from losing an argument to Athrun. Like halfway through Athrun is like "You're really fucking things up Kira!" and Kira's like "CAGALI IS CRYING AND THIS IS A LEGITIMATE RESPONSE."

Reiji could try to win but the longer a fight goes on against Kira Yamato the more reality changes in his favor.

The only reason Kira can't do a Shining Finger is because he hasn't met Domon Kasshu yet. I mean, if Allenby Beardsley could learn to do one just by watching Domon (Fuck you years of training in the School of the Undefeated of the East, I have tits) you better believe Kira Yamato is going to know how to do one the moment he lays eyes on Domon.

Hell, he might not even need to do that, since Destiny Gundam can do one.

He couldn't do a Love-Love Tenkyoken, though, because that'd require that Lacus actually loved him and didn't see him as a means to conquest.
Destiny doesn't actually use a Shining Finger, if you read about the attack it is actually a projectile that shoots out of it's palm. Hell it loses out to a Beam Saber. Build Knuckle, Darkness Finger, Shining (both variants) and God Finger aren't losing to no damn beam saber.

Now Turn X actually does use a Shining Finger so you don't need Domon or Asia to do it.

CorvoSol

You are missing the point though. Domon and Allenby are both trained fighters, Kira is just a wuss who refuses to kill. You think someone like that could ever master even a single technique in the school of the undefeated of the east?! Master Asia is spinning in his grave!

Seriously though, by G Gundam logic it would never work for Kira because he would just never have the proper mindset for it.

But the Shining Finger was specifically designed with the intention of peacefully defeating an opponent instead of killing them. For all that Kira cries about killing people and Domon revels in combat, Kira is the mass murderer and Domon is the one who gets through with the squeaky clean combat record.

I think the only Gundam pilot who kills fewer people than Domon is probably Chris.

Destiny doesn't actually use a Shining Finger, if you read about the attack it is actually a projectile that shoots out of it's palm. Hell it loses out to a Beam Saber. Build Knuckle, Darkness Finger, Shining (both variants) and God Finger aren't losing to no damn beam saber.

Now Turn X actually does use a Shining Finger so you don't need Domon or Asia to do it.

The point is that Kira's just ridiculously broken. I mean, he's the Ultimate Coordinator AND a Newtype and if he ever met Domon he'd probably be crowned Emperor of Hearts prior to the battle or something because he's Jesus and Jesus is never settling for second place.

Beth Cyra

But the Shining Finger was specifically designed with the intention of peacefully defeating an opponent instead of killing them. For all that Kira cries about killing people and Domon revels in combat, Kira is the mass murderer and Domon is the one who gets through with the squeaky clean combat record.

I think the only Gundam pilot who kills fewer people than Domon is probably Chris.

The point is that Kira's just ridiculously broken. I mean, he's the Ultimate Coordinator AND a Newtype and if he ever met Domon he'd probably be crowned Emperor of Hearts prior to the battle or something because he's Jesus and Jesus is never settling for second place.

Nah, Kira isn't nearly as broken as a lot of people like to make him out to be.

Aside from jobbing Athrun the one time (and lets be real, Athrun wasn't really doing anything to stop it) Kira actually fights nothing but shit anyway. Outside of Strike Vs Aegis, Freedom Vs Providence, and Strike Freedom Vs Legend he never does anything that really makes the whole UC/New Type powers remotely interesting.

His computer is the one that targets everything and unless we are going to argue that Loran is super broken because Moonlight Butterfly or Heero because the Buster Rifle has a two mile radius that turns everything to jam then I don't see why calling out Kira has any real base. Just being a NT and CD doesn't mean a whole lot. Yzak and the rest would get thrashed by almost every single lead in gundam, and your favorite Tobia is the one who says fuck new types.

He never pushes back a colony in a Gundam or powers a weapon like High Mega Canon with his mind. These things are what should considered broken.

Setsuna would look at Kira and laugh his robotic laugh and then proceed to say he doesn't believe in God. Uses Quanta's Trans-arm to kill Kira like the scrub he truly is. ;b

CorvoSol

Nah, Kira isn't nearly as broken as a lot of people like to make him out to be.

Aside from jobbing Athrun the one time (and lets be real, Athrun wasn't really doing anything to stop it) Kira actually fights nothing but shit anyway. Outside of Strike Vs Aegis, Freedom Vs Providence, and Strike Freedom Vs Legend he never does anything that really makes the whole UC/New Type powers remotely interesting.

His computer is the one that targets everything and unless we are going to argue that Loran is super broken because Moonlight Butterfly or Heero because the Buster Rifle has a two mile radius that turns everything to jam then I don't see why calling out Kira has any real base. Just being a NT and CD doesn't mean a whole lot. Yzak and the rest would get thrashed by almost every single lead in gundam, and your favorite Tobia is the one who says fuck new types.

He never pushes back a colony in a Gundam or powers a weapon like High Mega Canon with his mind. These things are what should considered broken.

The difference is though that Kira can't lose. Like in order to lose he has to throw the fight. See the fight against Shinn. He's like invincible and he runs on unfair.

Setsuna would look at Kira and laugh his robotic laugh and then proceed to say he doesn't believe in God. Uses Quanta's Trans-arm to kill Kira like the scrub he truly is. ;b

Whether or not you believe in God, He's still going to blow a heart-shaped hole through your chest.

Much less a Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken <3

Kira can't do a Love Love Tenkyoken because Lacus isn't actually in love with him.

CorvoSol

You mean, Flay isn't in love with him.

Flay might actually be in love with him, being dead and all. Lacus is using Kira to rule the Earth Sphere with here iron, pink fist. If she could get that done using Athrun instead it'd be all "Kira, who?" and they'd be all, "But ma'am he's the Ultimate Coordinator and a Newtype!" and she'd be all "Fake some documents proving he isn't, then."

Flay might actually be in love with him, being dead and all. Lacus is using Kira to rule the Earth Sphere with here iron, pink fist. If she could get that done using Athrun instead it'd be all "Kira, who?" and they'd be all, "But ma'am he's the Ultimate Coordinator and a Newtype!" and she'd be all "Fake some documents proving he isn't, then."

Is he actually a Newtype? I thought the only kinda-sorta Newtype in Seed was Mu La Flaga.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kira is def a Newtype or what passes for one in the SEED universe.

I love SEED in a cynical way. It's very watchable and I'm always sucked in by how perfectly it caters to a wide audience base. Plus anytime I start it I get sucked in when the ending theme starts 30 seconds before the episode ends. I love how much of the animation is reused and how everyone has the damn same face and above all else I love how crazy DESTINY gets. What an enjoyable trainwreck that becomes.

Kira is def a Newtype or what passes for one in the SEED universe.

I love SEED in a cynical way. It's very watchable and I'm always sucked in by how perfectly it caters to a wide audience base. Plus anytime I start it I get sucked in when the ending theme starts 30 seconds before the episode ends. I love how much of the animation is reused and how everyone has the damn same face and above all else I love how crazy DESTINY gets. What an enjoyable trainwreck that becomes.

I think the recycled animation (especially the copious amounts of flashbacks) were due to production delays. Seed Destiny had even MORE flashback stuff because apparently the lead writer was always late handing in scripts (and kept changing the direction of the series) so they had to make lots of flashback episodes so they wouldn't fall behind schedule.

CorvoSol

Is he actually a Newtype? I thought the only kinda-sorta Newtype in Seed was Mu La Flaga.

Kira gets Newtype flashes a couple times between SEED and Destiny. He isn't crazy psychic powers Newtype like the ones in UC, though.

Well, unless those dumbass conversations with dying girls are meant to be manifestations of Newtype powers, but then again Shinn does it and I want to hope Shinn isn't a Newtype.

But at least none of them are X-ROUNDER X-ROUNDER X-ROUNDER X-ROUNDER X-ROUNDER X-ROUNDER X-ROUNDER

I think the recycled animation (especially the copious amounts of flashbacks) were due to production delays. Seed Destiny had even MORE flashback stuff because apparently the lead writer was always late handing in scripts (and kept changing the direction of the series) so they had to make lots of flashback episodes so they wouldn't fall behind schedule.

I heard one time that part of Destiny's problem was that the writer had cancer?

Blader

His computer is the one that targets everything and unless we are going to argue that Loran is super broken because Moonlight Butterfly or Heero because the Buster Rifle has a two mile radius that turns everything to jam then I don't see why calling out Kira has any real base.

iirc, the only time Turn A even uses moonlight butterfly is right after
the final battle with Gym has ended.
It's hardly Loran's go-to move like Kira lining up shots on 30 people and firing off each one successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom