• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGITΩ

I actually had no issue with AGE and enjoyed portions of it. But then again, Outside of enjoying my fair share of gundam. I've also been a Level 5 Fan since Watching Inazuma Eleven and Danball Senki. I went into AGE with less of a "It's Gundam" Mentality, and more of "Let's Take Danball Senki to a Larger Scale" and enjoyed it that way. I enjoyed the Homage to the UC Trilogy of 0079, Z and ZZ with how AGE was set up. I never allowed myself to take it seriously, which is why I managed to enjoy it.

Who doesn't love space pirates? :)

On the other hand, everything in the third generation other than the Dark Hound and Legillis....sucks.

Kio's portion of the story was my least favorite. Asemu was definitely the best character for me, and I wish they expanded more on him. Being unable to be an X Rounder like his father and all the enemies he accountered. He quest to become SUPER PILOT with pure skill, and Tales of him in his Pirate days would've been a lot better.

Andrew J.

I don't hate AGE with the rabid loathing of duckroll or Corvo, so I feel comfortable admitting that the show had some interesting mechanical designs, as well as a lot of dreck.

Pirate Gundam was siiiick, though.

Beth Cyra

This thread has been infected and must be cleansed. Unfortunately, I'm just going to contribute to the sickness further by posting this:

I'm not the hugest fan of Strike Freedom but I've always had a real problem with this RG (I own it, but still) just because the proportions seem to be off.

The Guns are way to big and the chest canon is also way larger then I would like it to be. I will say though at least they fixed the damn clown feet that Destiny has.

As for AGE I'm one of the few that prefer AGE-2 Normal (well Special Forces) to Dark Hound by a large degree. Don't get me wrong the colors of DH are cool, but I hate the new head sculpt and the new wing binders don't look as good to me.

My favorite designs from the series though are easily G-Bouncer and AGE-3 Normal, it's just sad they couldn't bring out the size of AGE-3 Normal that the Line Art implied damn it.

duckroll

I don't even remember most of those suits in detail. Thank God. I just remember the general colors, and how cartoony and stupid they were. I think the ones in Destiny were animals too. Lol.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Everything in Destiny was awful. SEED however, was pretty good and I'll never understand the hate it gets. It's easily in the top half of Gundam things and while it's got pretty mediocre art, it's also probably got some of the best music in the franchise.

I just assume Destiny was the product of Fukuda feeling bad about his wife having cancer and giving her full creative freedom. If only her ideas weren't awful.

NEO0MJ

I'm on my phone, so I couldn't really see it in too much detail. ;)

As bad as Strike Freedom is (and it is bad), it's still not nearly as awful as the knockoff Gundams the psycho trios from Seed and Destiny pilot (Gaia, Abyss, etc..).

It might be kinda rough around the edges but with a few touch ups Calamity Gundam can make for a great Gundam.

Divvy

Hey now, last time I checked, Toshihiko Sahashi was still the composer for Destiny and it had a bigger music budget than SEED too! :p

Okay, the music is still good, but gets massively overshadowed by how bad everything else was.

It might be kinda rough around the edges but with a few touch ups Calamity Gundam can make for a great Gundam.

I actually like Forbidden, it's got a nasty colour scheme, but the design is pretty unique and solid. Raider is terribad though.

Gundam in general is a franchise with good bgms. That said, I think seed has some of the most forgettable. Certainly the worst ops. The only series with more forgettable soundtrack is x.

For thw record I think the original, victory, turn a and unicorn have the best. Zeta and zz also have great osts, but a bit too much seinfeld bass in it

Divvy

Gundam in general os a franchise with good bgm. That said, I think seed has some of the most forgettable. Certainly the worst ops. The only series with more forgettable soundtrack is x.

For thw record I think the original, victory, turn a and unicorn have the best. Zeta and zz also have great osts, but a bit too much seinfeld bass in it

Well okay, I REALLY disagree with that, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Beth Cyra

Gundam in general os a franchise with good bgm. That said, I think seed has some of the most forgettable. Certainly the worst ops. The only series with more forgettable soundtrack is x.

I agree on X and I just don't understand the love it gets.

Gotta disagree on SEED and Destiny though, the OSTs alone justify their existence.

I dont understand the love tiffa gets. She is the worst kind of anime female. So passive its annoying. And I hate her voice.

The show itself is okay, but I dont think it takes advantage of its setting. It should have been more mad max with gundams instead of what it actually was.

Frost bros were pretty lame.

Beth Cyra

I dont understand the love tiffa gets. She is the worst kind of anime female. So passive its annoying. And I hate her voice.

The show itself is okay, but I dont think it takes advantage of its setting. It should have been more mad max with gundams instead of what it actually was.

Frost bros were pretty lame.
Thr only thing I liked was Jamil and X.

The characters of Garrod and Tiffa were awful and the majority of Gundams were just Wing Gundams with parts swapped around.

fertygo

Gundam in general is a franchise with good bgms. That said, I think seed has some of the most forgettable. Certainly the worst ops. The only series with more forgettable soundtrack is x.

If that's your opinion, fine.. but mass usually cherishes the OST and theme song the most when about SEED. So "forgettable" is certainly not popular word for that aspect of SEED.

Beth Cyra

You must repent. G Gundam music so good.
For as much shit as I talk on G I do want to like it. I do plan to give it another shot while I build MG God, I just don't think ill like it anymore then I did then.

I just hate the enemy a week style and the overuse of single attacks. Domon and Asia can be fun, their interaction with Hetero and Milliardo in DWG show that to me, but the rest of the cast is fucking trash.

CorvoSol

Gundam AGE is an awful entry in the Gundam franchise because it is the type of show no one asked for and no one wanted. From both a business and a creative perspective, it is a useless series which wasted everyone's time and money, and was a failure in both critical and commercial success. So no, that's not mediocre, that's flat out bad. It doesn't matter if the technical merits of the show are average, it matters that it is literally something that no one wanted.

People can hate on SEED, but no one can deny that it's something lots of fans wanted, and continue to like. It's basically a angst modern redo of UC, and OYW in particular. It helped introduce a whole new generation of younger fans to the Gundam franchise, and has added a ton of profit for Bandai in pretty much every industry they're in, in the last decade. SEED is probably the best thing to have happened to the Gundam franchise because without it, we were looking at decline of interest and decline of sales on a whole, and old UC fans would not be enough to keep the franchise successful enough to get what they want. Stuff like Unicorn would certainly not exist in the way it does if there was no assurance that Gundam as a brand was still as popular as ever. Gundam X and Turn-A were both commercial failures. SEED basically kickstarted the modern Gundam and Gunpla boom.

Meanwhile, no one ever asked for a really kiddy style Gundam which still tried to take itself seriously with a war story, and for it to be filled with bad Level5 designs, bad Level5 writing, and bad Digimon mechs. Literally no one. It was a project which only existed because Bandai thought it would be smart to partner with a big game developer with some popular hits at the time. Kids didn't watch it or like it. No one wanted the gunpla. The show sucked. Fans who grew up with SEED hated it. Fans who grew up with Wing hated it. Fans who grew up with 0079 hated it. It brought no new fans into the franchise. It wasted a whole year of broadcasting.

What good is AGE? Nothing. It's totally worthless. So let's treat it as it deserves.

Duckroll dropping truefacts here.

He dumped that chick and got with Meyrin, bruh.

TBH I actually prefer Meyrin to Cagali anyway. Cagali's behavior in Destiny pretty much killed the respect I had for her character.

Athrun was hands down the best guy to come out of SEED.

I don't hate AGE with the rabid loathing of duckroll or Corvo, so I feel comfortable admitting that the show had some interesting mechanical designs, as well as a lot of dreck.

Pirate Gundam was siiiick, though.

Now, I despise AGE and its designs, but I'll admit that AGE-2 White and the G-Bouncer and their variants were ok. Every other design in that show was the worst kind of trash, though. Victory is the only show to rival it in bad mechanical designs.

'Cuz as much as I did not like 00, its mecha were cool.

Satan snatched my soul over a decade ago when I ended up hating G Gundam and its music.

Se-arrependa then. Sometimes I just rock out to that Burning Finger theme.

ZetaEpyon

Good god, I hope you only mean the op/eds for Victory. The bgm was horrendous, if for no other reason than there's only like 3 or 4 goddamn tracks that they repeat over and over and over and over and over and over...

Beth Cyra

The G Gundam score is fantastic. Its Kohei Tanaka. How can you even......

idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore,jpg

Just didn't care for it.

I love unique stuff to so I don't know why it didn't click with me. 0079, ZZ, and Wing all had really unique music for the genre and I love them. More so I can and do like the OSTs for series that I hate such as Destiny, yet I still couldn't enjoy the G Gundam OST.

Maybe when I rewatch it in the coming months I will warm to it more then I did in the past. However I think Gunpla Build Fighters will actually keep that from happening.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Only about a third of G Gundam is monster/robot of the week style.

Also the soundtrack is the best. I own all of it and feel no shame.

CorvoSol

Good god, I hope you only mean the op/eds for Victory. The bgm was horrendous, if for no other reason than there's only like 3 or 4 goddamn tracks that they repeat over and over and over and over and over and over...

I don't remember Victory's OST being that bad. Maybe I only remember the 3 or 4 tracks. Actually what I do remember was that I liked the scenery in Victory a lot. When it comes to sound in Victory I mostly remember the sound of Uso and Karlman screaming.

Ezalc

For as much shit as I talk on G I do want to like it. I do plan to give it another shot while I build MG God, I just don't think ill like it anymore then I did then.

I just hate the enemy a week style and the overuse of single attacks. Domon and Asia can be fun, their interaction with Hetero and Milliardo in DWG show that to me, but the rest of the cast is fucking trash.

Devil Gundam probably stole your soul. I pray that one day God Gundam will tenderly show you his burning finger and the heat end will open your path to enlightenment so you may join the rest of us. May God Gundam have mercy on your soul after he Sekiha Love Love Tenkyokens Devil Gundam back to the fiery pits of hell to rest forever on Setsuna's lap.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
G Gundam is also my favorite Gundam show by a mile.

Also I'm glad I found someone who shares my opinion on SEED. It's so well designed and has such mass market appeal that it's probably the most important and influential show since the original MSG. A generation of fans grew up on SEED and it also brought in a ton of additional fans of the extra angsty soap opera stuff it has in there.

Strike Freedom is also UGLY AS SIN.

duckroll

There's a Korean TV program which featured Tomino working on G-Reco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdEP9ryCr74

He's drawing storyboards for the show, while there's a design reference on his desk for an unannounced mech. :D

QI1hJDw.jpg

Beth Cyra

Devil Gundam probably stole your soul. I pray that one day God Gundam will tenderly show you his burning finger and the heat end will open your path to enlightenment so you may join the rest of us. May God Gundam have mercy on your soul after he Sekiha Love Love Tenkyokens Devil Gundam back to the fiery pits of hell to rest forever on Setsuna's lap.

Haha even if I did ever for some reason do a 180 and start loving G Gundam one thing I know I would never love is the Love Love. Rain is one the reasons I dislike G Gundam as much as I do.

She has no damn right whatsoever to even be in a Gundam that is still standing beyond 2 second when she is against some one as skilled as Allenby and Nobell Gundam.

G Gundam is also my favorite Gundam show by a mile.

Also I'm glad I found someone who shares my opinion on SEED. It's so well designed and has such mass market appeal that it's probably the most important and influential show since the original MSG. A generation of fans grew up on SEED and it also brought in a ton of additional fans of the extra angsty soap opera stuff it has in there.

Strike Freedom is also UGLY AS SIN.
I don't think many would argue about anything aside from this one.

It's really not, everything it does is just a retooled 0079/Zeta and it's by no means the first AU to be heavily influenced by 0079. It surely retarted the Gundam craze after the low points of X and Turn A, but even things that have come after it aren't all that influenced by SEED.

OO is influenced by Wing, or at least a lot of people would argue and even Build Fighters who's lead suit is a Strike variant isn't heavily like SEED. Then you have stuff like Unicorn which is just a love letter to other parts of UC. The only thing you could argue that was heavily influenced by SEED would be AGE and that is only in the base idea that it takes and tries to retell UC, but again this isn't and never was exclusive to SEED.

Victory gundams soundtrack is amazing
http://youtu.be/AB6uxRM6phQ
http://youtu.be/9vZG9VipOjo
http://youtu.be/HVO5tQgjnJw

I should note that I dont like most anime. I like a lot of the older stuff when theu focused on space opera and mecha. I do watch some new stuff from time to time, but over all I dont care for the medium over all.

Seed was way too anime-ish for me, down to its bgms.

Those arent even its best songs. Sadly im at work and its hard copy/pasting youtube links from my phone while dodging my supe, or else I could find better tracks.

CorvoSol

I actually think Strike Freedom and the Freedom are kinda cool. Freedom is cooler cuz it doesn't have the wonky gold hands, but Strike Freedom has that nifty Dragoon system going on.

Enron

Banned

So basically you want him to be fingered.

ZetaEpyon

Victory gundams soundtrack is amazing
http://youtu.be/AB6uxRM6phQ
http://youtu.be/9vZG9VipOjo
http://youtu.be/HVO5tQgjnJw

I should note that I dont like most anime. I like a lot of the older stuff when theu focused on space opera and mecha. I do watch some new stuff from time to time, but over all I dont care for the medium over all.

Seed was way too anime-ish for me, down to its bgms.

I think it's less of an issue of the quality of the tracks and more a problem of how repetitively a handful of them are used. Doesn't help that the show itself is terrible, I suppose.

To add, I really liked this insert song: http://youtu.be/X_1Bs-ntkdk
Always felt like the show wasn't deserving of it.

I was just looking through my closet and found this, which I was given as a gift about ten years ago:

I can't make out the signature, and I was wondering if anyone here could read it. あきえとみと? That's what it looks like to me anyway. All I know is that it was done by one of the mechanical designers from one of the shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom