• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just bought some acrylic primer and am gonna try thinning with isopropyl alcohol. Let's see how much better this is.

Thinner is way out of my budget, fuck

Beth Cyra

Fenrir (Duo's Son) is Piloting a Mobile Suit named Warlock who has the following Abilities.

Cloak that blocks it to Nano-machine attack (so it's possible they could write this thing to even resist the Moonlight Butterfly)
Dual Beam Scythes
Dual Buster Shields
The Ability to create up to 50 Nano Machine After Images, that actually have the ability to attack and damage.
Mad Gundanium Armor (much stronger then Gundanium which is already pretty much the strongest armor in all the various Gundam universes)
Beam Scythe can switch to Buster Rifle Mode
Can Use Beam Jammers
Beast Mode which turns it into a Wolf like Mode, and is called it's Fenrir Mode.
Has an attack called Platinum Teeth

Everything from before the Beast Mode is when it has it's LIMITER engaged.

This is all for the follow up to Deathscythe, and is not the main Gundam which means that Snow White is likely to be far crazier then this thing.

Snow White in the chapter before this takes a Charged Twin Buster Rifle shot from a Black Wing Zero straight on, lets remember this weapon can and has nuked a Colony, section of Libra and busted a Nuclear Shield.

At this point it's pretty much Sumizawa is determined to make the strongest most broken Gundam in all of existence. Snow White fire power pretty much puts everything to shame who isn't OO Raiser Trans Am and Turn A's Moonlight.

Just checked and more has come out since last night.

Apparently this is not enough power for one suit, and it appears as though it has Armor separation that now follows it and is considered a new ability.

I've seen speculation that this is in fact a Funnel Missile system (I really, really hope not) but given the description it sounds more like to me a Funnel Shield system like Mercrius or something from OO. And yes, even in this mode it still has the Nano-machine cloak to defend it and shield it from actually being revealed to the damn reader.

sorry, what I meant was that 00 was originally planned as a 50 episode series that would just run straight through (like past shows), and at some point in production Sunrise had it split it into two separate seasons instead.

I remember reading that the S1/2 split occurred around episode 37 of the original plan, which might explain why S1 rushes through a lot of plot in its back half and why S2 is so thin on plot. But I don't remember where that's from so it could be made up!
That's the way I remember it. IIRC it was from an interview of Kuroda after the show ended

NEO0MJ

WOW are there any picks of this thing built?

201405151914366.jpg

It was like 880 yen going SAL because according to the weight, it would've cost 16,200 yen via EMS. Fuck dat noise on top of whatever I'm gonna get charged for customs to the UK. xD

One benefit I enjoy living where I do is no custom charges.

Beth Cyra

Same, I prefer Sinanju to Sazabi, but I will give credit that Sazabi has a feel of a monster and power of about it.

Nightingale looks like a piece of trash that is worse then a lot of fan material. I Hate Nightingale so much.

I used to not care for the Sazabi, but it's grown on me. Mostly because I like big fat suits. Plus it has funnels. The sinanju is nice, but it's too slender.

Beth Cyra

I can't say I like Sazabi because I don't but I don't hate it like I once did either.

I love slender stuff, it shows in that I love pretty much everything from Katoki after Sentinel, and that really came to a head with Sinaju which is probably his best work in my mind.

That said, I will say Sazabi is a god damn masterpiece of design compared to the nonsense that is Nightingale.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just finished 00 S2. A lot of fantastic battles and animation, but it tries a bit too hard and begins to suffer as soon as they introduce
newtypes/innovators
. I don't think any of that was particularly well handled and sort of hamstringed together.

The final episode was fantastic though.

Are the 00 movies worth watching?

Thanks very much for ordering the BAN989507 1/144 HGUC NZ-999 Neo Zeong! We're very sorry, but your order entered payment processing before the correct shipping method and shipping cost for this huge, heavy kit were determined. (It will be sent in the shipping carton in which it came from Bandai. As a result, it will not be able to be combined with any other items for shipping. Thanks for your understanding!)

Thanks too for your payment, which included 880 yen for SAL Small Packet shipping. The Neo Zeong unfortunately far exceeds the limits of SAL Small packet class, so will be sent by EMS class. The correct cost of EMS shipping for this item is 13,060 yen. Could you please send a manual PayPal payment for the difference of 12,180 yen? The shipping of your order has been put on hold to await your payment.

Fuck dat. Guess you're staying over the rainbow Neo Zeong.

cue gif of
Neo Zeong evaporating

duckroll

That might be it.

Say what you will about the movie but man did the budget help out a ton. So much action and beautifully drawn scenes throughout the movie!

Too bad they couldn't use those production values for a single good one on one fight in the entire film. At least both 00 seasons ended with satisfying fights. The movie was just beam spam and then.... wut. :(

fertygo

Just finished 00 S2. A lot of fantastic battles and animation, but it tries a bit too hard and begins to suffer as soon as they introduce
newtypes/innovators
. I don't think any of that was particularly well handled and sort of hamstringed together.

Yeah people slamming S2 all the time, but that finale are the best thing that came out from the series.. for your question, lol

Don't let $80 get in the way of your dream! I was willing to pay shipping costs for the HMM Gojulas and you too can pay for the Neo Zeong :D

LOL, that's not $80. If that was just $80, that'd be too easy. When shipping + customs nearly equals the cost of Neo Zeong, meh. I think I'll just get it sent to my parents back in the states and pick it up whenever I go back on vacation.

Blader

newtypes/innovators

If you mean the special editions/compilations, then no. If you mean Awakening of the Trailblazer, well... I liked it but a lot of people didn't so ymmv.

NEO0MJ

LOL, that's not $80. If that was just $80, that'd be too easy. When shipping + customs nearly equals the cost of Neo Zeong, meh. I think I'll just get it sent to my parents back in the states and pick it up whenever I go back on vacation.

Just how bad are customs?
And after checking my purchase history it turns out that it cost me 8,900 yen to just ship the Gojulas. The figure itself cost me 16,130 yen. Still, I don't regret it one bit.

13583171353_753cd893a5_b.jpg

It's still in the box, lul

Enron

Banned
Went by the hobby store this afternoon while out. TONS of gundam (relatively speaking) on a large rack - one of the employees remarked to me that for some reason, Gundam is really selling well lately. Dat GBF/Unicorn bump, I guess. I pick up Gouf R35 and RG Exia.

I don't even like the Exia, but after talking with duckroll on irc about his build and his now-infamous leg break, I decided to give it a shot to see if it really was all that challenging.

I am not going to bother with painting this thing - i just want to get it built. I dont even know what I'm going to do with it when done. Might give it away or something, I dunno.

Since I'm not painting, then that means no sanding. Only scraping what I can get with my hobby knife and that's it.

Real Grade Exia - The Duckroll Challenge

Progress report

14343449848_a331b4785f_b.jpg

It took about 2.5 hours total to do both legs. There's an INSANE amount of pieces involved in this thing - in fact, too many. I feel like Bandai could have definitely combined some of these pieces and it wouldn't have mattered.

14530055015_5ea3006206_b.jpg

Above - Here's the infamous duckroll break. After fiddling with this piece, I can't really blame duckroll (but will continue to taunt him regardless) for breaking this piece. When you have the piece in your hand, it seems like it should go in one way and if you weren't really paying attention to the directions, you could very easily push it in the other way and when removing it SNIZZZAP. That circular bit my tweezers are pointing to is SUPER flimsy and will not take any stress at ALL. good going Bandai. Duckroll vindicated, somewhat. (But still lolz)

14343413969_29bc583cab_b.jpg

Here's a good shot of my main gripe with this kit so far. The light blue hologram bits. In order to achieve this effect, you apply a silver foil decal and then you pop in a clear sky blue piece on top of it that is held by some tabs on the parts (no adhesive). This means the clear plastic piece just sort of stretches across with no contact on the silver bit and seems like it could be in danger of popping out and being lost to a crack in your floor forever. Surely we could have actually gotten a curved plastic piece to accomplish this instead.

14343446198_5610d6a302_b.jpg

I do sort of like this part though. Green foil sticker with text/graphic printed on it, then you put a green transparent piece on top of it. Although I'm wondering how that piece will stand up to a clear-coat before you decal/panel line. I think i'll try to mask it somehow when I get to that part.

14507003916_b0bddb19b1_b.jpg

Here's another thing that's kinda neat, but kinda not neat. As you can see, this part was engineered so you can pull it out of the upper hip ball and flip out a little nub that you can mount one of the Exia's swords or something onto. One problem with this, though. The prongs that allow the piece to slide in and out are SUPER fragile, and I broke one ( I didn't even know one broke until i found the prong on my cutting mat. Thankfully it was just one and doesn't hurt the functionality of the piece)

That's it for now. I am going to push and see if i can't get this whole thing done tonight - it seems like the legs are by far the most labor intensive parts of this kit.

duckroll

See! SEE!!! I told everyone. It's a great looking kit on the outside, and I still think it's pretty satisfying to look at the completed pieces, but GODDAMN it's one fragile piece of shit internally. Everyone here laughed at my misery, but now you know! It's not even your first RG kit! It was my first introduction to the RG line and all I got was overdesigned fragile 1/144 tiny ass stuff with 1/100 complexity in my face the whole time. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I demand an apology! Roflmao. :)

Bombless

See! SEE!!! I told everyone. It's a great looking kit on the outside, and I still think it's pretty satisfying to look at the completed pieces, but GODDAMN it's one fragile piece of shit internally. Everyone here laughed at my misery, but now you know! It's not even your first RG kit! It was my first introduction to the RG line and all I got was overdesigned fragile 1/144 tiny ass stuff with 1/100 complexity in my face the whole time. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Duckroll now suffers from Gunpla PTSD.

Turin

Banned
Weird Question: Is there a version of Wing Zero that's built like the show version but with a different color palet?

I saw a version of Wing-Gundam in green on Amazon. That's why I'm asking.

NEO0MJ

Weird Question: Is there a version of Wing Zero that's built like the show version but with a different color palet?

I saw a version of Wing-Gundam in green on Amazon. That's why I'm asking.

That's probably the Wing Gundam Fenice from Build Fighters.

If you're gonna build RGs, you should have started with the Gundam Mk-IIs. Exia is mid-tier fiddly, but he's nothing compared to the hand grenades that are the RG RX78-2, the Zakus and the Zeta Gundam.

Enron

Banned
The Duckroll Challenge

Update 2

Got the torso finished.

FUCK

Luckily I have steady hands and I'm good at Gunpla and not a nub like duckroll, but holy shit this is some frustrating garbage.

Let's get right into it, shall we

14527299541_95ac81f406_b.jpg

So again - this is a great looking kit. However....look at the crotch. The wing-like skirt armor - well, those are tiny little pieces that you have to mount on TINY little pegs that literally look like flash that you have to cut off of the pegs (but aren't) and then you have to cap it with that tiny little grey piece.

I mean, look at this fucking bullshit. LOOK AT IT.

14529728602_d1c884b037_b.jpg

Fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Fuck you fuck you fuck you. It probably took me 15 minutes just to get those two pieces of skirt armor on.

Fuck.

Ok, now to the back.

14530691435_dbaec54b4e_b.jpg

The back skirt armor was not nearly as bad as the front. however, the GN Drive can die screaming in a fire. first of all, the gn drive has some turbine detail on a really tiny ring piece. Cool! that's a nice touch. HOWEVER BANDAI WANTS YOU TO COVER THAT DETAIL WITH A FOIL STICKER SO WHEN YOU COVER THE PIECE WITH A CLEAR GREEN PART IT WILL HAVE A METALLIC EFFECT WHEN THE GN DRIVE IS OPEN. What. The. Fuck. Why did you go through the trouble of putting really nice turbine detail on a piece and then just ruin it with a thick foil sticker. The design decisions fucking boggle my goddamned mind with this horrorshow of a kit.

14530777575_b690178608_b.jpg

Also, the grey arms that "hold" the GN Drive are also dumb as fuck. They don't want to close around the drive without popping off. I basically mashed the fuck out of them to snap into place i dont ever plan on moving them ever. Again.

So that's the torso. Again, it looks fantastic. But it's so annoying. The engineering is too clever for its own good, the materials are questionable, and shit like covering up nice detail with a STICKER just enrages me. This is the most angry i've ever been at a Gunpla and I've been doing this since 1997.

But I must soldier on

Buritto break, then i shall continue on. Aiming to have arms and head completed before the AM!

Beth Cyra

I demand that more people build RG Zeta. The real Gunpla begins here.

It was my second kit too goddamnit.

Fuck this shit.

This is pretty much Satan's Gunpla. I've almost never encountered something in regards to Gundam that I hate as much as RG Zeta.

Whats worse is I have both Zeta and White Unicorn! FUCK!!!!!!!!

If it wasn't for RG's like Mark II and Destiny I'd never build another RG again.

Killah

I demand that more people build RG Zeta. The real Gunpla begins here.

It was my second kit too goddamnit.

Yeah, the RG Zeta is a real pain in the ass since it's a transforming mobile suit which means lots of moving parts.Mine is never going into Waverider mode just because of how fragile it is.

I don't think I'll have a problem with the RG Exia, but if you're having problems with that I can only imagine the problems you may run into with the Zeta.

Enron

Banned
The Duckroll Challenge

Part III

Finally finished with this fucker.

When reading all of my complaints, keep in mind how small this kit really is. You'll understand how working with tiny pieces in a kit this small can be nerve wracking. Here's my wristwatch immediately behind Exia for an idea of scale.

Sbp5GbVl.jpg

Now for the arms and head -

The arms have far too many gaps for my tastes. I think you might need some putty to make this kit look really finished. Hands are pretty good. I like the jointed hand sets a lot.

The holostrips coming down from the shoulders and that attach to the upper arm were a total disaster. the upper arms have a tab on them that the strip SHOULD attach to, and that a small cover piece should snap on to. Uh uh. No. the tab is so small (and was almost non-existent on the right arm) that I ended up having to glue them into place. And I have no idea how long it will hold.

sKKM6Jcl.jpg

The head was a similar disaster. The pieces are so tiny that they are extremely difficult to handle, even with tweezers. Especially the 3! pieces that make up the tiny chin and "mouth", and the eyes are microscopic foil decals that you somehow must place on a transparent green piece just right (took about 10 minutes to get them set right). Again, more of the fucking holostrips on the top of the head. you insert them into a slot and you have to put the head sides on top of them and then close them down over them to ensure they stay down. Really annoying to get right. The yellow vent pieces in the cheeks kept falling out when trying to affix the head sides correctly - if these hit your floor you are in deep shit because they are extremely tiny. The "rabbit ears" have such a thick contact point with the sprue they leave all kinds of ugly scarring. There's an unsightly gap at the back of the head that bothers me - putty needed there as well.

I do like the way the kit looks. It looks fantastic from a distance. The poses you can get out of are great. However, This was the absolute most annoying gunpla i've ever done. Too complicated, needlessly complicated with already microscopic parts, weak plastics, bad foils, annoying plastic filmstrips instead of clear plastic parts. I can't even imagine what kind of hell awaits those that want to PAINT these things.

This kit overall is a big ball of fuck as far as the building experience goes. About 2 hours ago I wanted to just say "fuck it", toss it in the box and shove it in the closet. Would not recommend.

I'd rather just buy a Damashii and skip all this trouble. Fuck Real Grade. I won't be coming back after I finish the MkII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom